• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official ArmA 2 Thread of DOGCHUTES RGR

EviLore said:
Several reasons.

-Recoil mechanic. Feels artificial/binary. And "hold breath" seems to mainly act as a zoom, which is pretty strange.

-Muzzle flash/smoke is visually archaic, and bullets contacting surfaces barely registers anything at all, just the same tiny puff of smoke/dirt on the ground (same whether it's paved or soil) and nothing even happens with most other surfaces.

-No ricochets.

-No bullet drop that I could discern.

-No proper reload animations (yeah, I know, crapload of guns)

On the plus side:

-Locational damage, at least on the player's receiving end. I took a bullet to the arm and had trouble steadying my aim. Nice.

-Bullet crack, and the directional sound engine seemed to work well enough.

-The muzzle smoke, while kinda shitty looking visually, is fairly realistic.

-If you have a rocket launcher on your back it'll stick out a bit and enter your first person field of view if you're prone.

-Bullets appear to have travel time.

...Yeah, AA3 has already spoiled me.

What do you mean by "recoil mechanic"?

As was stated, there is ricochet and bullet drop (most of the rifles are zeroed at 300m), both have been tested. I agree, some of the impact effects need work and the muzzle flash is pretty terrible. Not a game breaker for me.

The sound engine is great. The environment plays a large effect in sound dampening, as well.

AA3 is okay. Would be better if I could play more than 5 minutes without the exe crashing on me. :)

Zenith

Banned
-Recoil mechanic. Feels artificial/binary. And "hold breath" seems to mainly act as a zoom, which is pretty strange.

right mouse button activates both zoom and hold breath. You can change it in the options if you just want one.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
runs fine for me, even got a kill in mp :)

dont know what i was doing, environment is great, get a little dizzy when running though haha

game would be awesome if the servers were full. Just seemed like random bots running around =\

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
The overall "sensation" (basically gun animation and a little bit audio) could be better in ArmA 2, yes, but stuff like this certainly didn't keep me from enjoying STALKER and Clear Sky. I think the bullet impact details are fine too. I sprayed a house last night with a SAW just to see it and I had lots of little puffs of smoke and debris. I'm surprised to hear Evilore's comment about smoke being outdated looking in ArmA2. I think this is actually the game's biggest strength. Tons of particles everywhere when helicopters land, bombs explode, smoke grenades, etc. Also, the columns of smoke rising into the sky looks especially impressive as does the fact that there will often be little aftershock explosions for destroyed vehicles.

I dunno, maybe because I'm such a huge OpFlash junkie that I forgive the game's little inconsistencies. But in terms of jankiness, ArmA2 makes the original OpFlash games feel like indie scene demos. For such an ambitious game, I feel it's pretty damn polished.

Now if I could just get the game to stop CTD during the first mission. It's pretty consistent. I paint a house with my laser designator and a bomb comes down and flattens it. Then I get frame drops, texture flickering, and then CTD. Grrr, PC gaming...

Flunkie

Banned
Baloonatic said:
Steam is being really lame for me. Demo got to about 50% and then it stopped. Now it says it's "updating" and is back to 0% :(
The status was quite erratic for me, as well. Just leave it alone and it should complete in no time.

chespace said:
Now if I could just get the game to stop CTD during the first mission. It's pretty consistent. I paint a house with my laser designator and a bomb comes down and flattens it. Then I get frame drops, texture flickering, and then CTD. Grrr, PC gaming...
wow, that's an annoying bug. can use 'right shift' + 'numpad minus button' and type in "endmission" to skip ahead to the next mission, just like arma1. haven't had any mission breaking stuff yet myself.

Javaman

Baloonatic said:
Steam is being really lame for me. Demo got to about 50% and then it stopped. Now it says it's "updating" and is back to 0% :(

You might want to try verifying the files in the right click menu. That sometimes kickstarts DLs for me.

Zeliard

Game's brilliant but you do have to get past the bugs and some overall UI/control roughness, especially when it comes to the tons of orders you can give out. Some may not have the patience to deal with that, but it's rewarding when you do.

Nikorasu

1.02 demo seems to run worse on my rig than the unpatched german version I played. :|
Also they added AA on top of the "fillrate optimizer"/rendering resolution. :|

Atrophis

Well i loaded up the demo and it seemed to run ok in the first training mission. In everything else though it really runs like shit :(

Getting lots of graphical glitches as well and the mouse pointer on some menus flickers around like crazy.

Have to set the graphics to normal for it to run smooth but then its blurry as fuck as its not rending at my monitors native res.

Might have to give this a miss. Or wait until Arma 3 gets released. Im sure ill have a PC that could run it then :p

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow Evilore, you weren't kidding about the recoil mechanics being completely archaic. There's no friggin' recoil with a machine gun.

The lack of explanation for anything, and the ridiculous key binding panel...I don't think I'm going to bother.

Oh, and the mouse lag is awwwwwful.

Orlics

Maximum difficulty (except for extended HUD info and Super AI - don't like getting lost when my team leader is behind a wall) or bust!

TheExodu5 said:
Wow Evilore, you weren't kidding about the recoil mechanics being completely archaic. There's no friggin' recoil with a machine gun.

The lack of explanation for anything, and the ridiculous key binding panel...I don't think I'm going to bother.

Weird. Using the sniper there is recoil but anyother gun there doesn't seem to be any.

Nikorasu

TheExodu5 said:

Are we playing the same game? There is tons of weapon recoil. The only time there it is negligible is when you're prone, especially with a machine gun. I simply can't understand when people say this. When I shoot, the gun kicks back and throws my aim off. Seems like recoil to me.
I don't know what you mean by lack of explanation, the tutorials tell you everything you need to know. I'm not getting much mouse lag either. Just turn down your visual settings until it disappears.

chespace

Nikorasu said:
Are we playing the same game? There is tons of weapon recoil. The only time there it is negligible is when you're prone, especially with a machine gun. I simply can't understand when people say this. When I shoot, the gun kicks back and throws my aim off. Seems like recoil to me.
I don't know what you mean by lack of explanation, the tutorials tell you everything you need to know. I'm not getting much mouse lag either. Just turn down your visual settings until it disappears.

This. I get a ton of recoil even with an M161A red dot on burst.

Hold down auto fire on an AK74 and watch the spread as you shoot a wall at 30m.

Recoil.

chespace said:

Recoil.
Recoil is there, but I think the muzzle flash effect is what sort of takes it down.

chespace

MickeyKnox said:
Recoil is there, but I think the muzzle flash effect is what sort of takes it down.

I agree, the muzzle flash isn't great, but it only really becomes distracting at night -- in which case, you'd probably be using NV goggles. :)

Honestly, I think I recognize janky as much as the next guy, and often more so than the next guy. To me, this game could qualify as janky, but then that's sorta overlooking its monumental strengths as a military shooter. Is it janky? Sure. But it's also a ton of fun and immerses me like no other military shooter. Will patches fix some of the jankiness? Sure. Do I care? Not really.

I guess OpFlash popped my Bohemia Int. cherry back in 2001 and now I can just enjoy their unique games.

Nikorasu

chespace said:
I agree, the muzzle flash isn't great, but it only really becomes distracting at night -- in which case, you'd probably be using NV goggles. :)

Honestly, I think I recognize janky as much as the next guy, and often more so than the next guy. To me, this game could qualify as janky, but then that's sorta overlooking its monumental strengths as a military shooter. Is it janky? Sure. But it's also a ton of fun and immerses me like no other military shooter. Will patches fix some of the jankiness? Sure. Do I care? Not really.

I guess OpFlash popped my Bohemia Int. cherry back in 2001 and now I can just enjoy their unique games.

Yeah, people who dismiss this outright because it is lacking a bit of polish and refinement will be missing out on one of the deepest military sims ever. Anyone who isn't familiar with BI's games will probably have a bit of trouble adapting, but it's very worth it. The game just has so much to offer.

chespace said:

I'm totally with you on that front, demo is running well enough that I'll definitely grab this tomorrow. Not to mention that the mod scene for this game harkens back to the glory days of the late 90s.

Zeliard

Nikorasu said:
Yeah, people who dismiss this outright because it is lacking a bit of polish and refinement will be missing out on one of the deepest military sims ever. Anyone who isn't familiar with BI's games will probably have a bit of trouble adapting, but it's very worth it. The game just has so much to offer.

This is actually my first BIS game. Never played ArmA 1 or Flashpoint, sadly. I'm actually not too much of a sim guy in general so I'm basically approaching this game from more of a casual perspective, though I'm definitely accustomed to playing through and dealing with buggy PC games.

I love it. Just makes me wonder what I've been missing. The jankiness is definitely there, mostly in the form of bugs and contrived controls, but it's easy to forgive considering how huge the game is in scope and how much it's trying to do (and much of it successfully).

TheExodu5

Banned
chespace said:

Recoil.

Spread =/= recoil.

Recoil is caused by the upwards force on the gun after firing a shot. There is no such recoil in this game, at least not with the machine gun (standing).

chespace

TheExodu5 said:
Spread =/= recoil.

Recoil is caused by the upwards force on the gun after firing a shot. There is no such recoil in this game, at least not with the machine gun (standing).

If you're looking for recoil that literally moves your POV upwards as you hold down the trigger and you have to compensate by moving your mouse back down, then probably not, but I haven't really noticed. I'll pay more attention tonight.

I remember aiming low in CS with the AK and just letting it ride up someone's torso in a 3 shot burst due to its recoil.

In that sense, did STALKER have recoil?

I have no idea what to think of this game.

On the one hand, graphically, it's amazing. Everything high @ 16x10 is gorgeous, with all the little postprocessing effects they got going on (motion blur is fantastic). Even better, it runs fairly well, considering how good it looks at all times (30-60).

But, as we all know, graphics aren't everything.

The gameplay reminds me of STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. Why? Because it's buggy as shit. It's not borderline unplayable (STALKER unpatched = the 8th level of hell), but it's clear this game could've used some more time in development. Awkward animations, poor AI, bizarre voice "acting" (the "custom speech" mechanic is cool but it sounds like all of my teammates are Microsoft Sam), shadows going through buildings, etc.

As it stands, this isn't a game I'd pay for. I fell for that w/ STALKER ("oh, it has potential!"), which really, really wasn't worth the trouble of finding workarounds for the incredible amount of bugs in that game (I swear I was beta testing that shit)... and sure as hell wasn't worth the money I paid for it.

Anyway, I'll be keeping my eye on updates for this one. I'll give it another go after it's patched some.

TheExodu5

Banned
chespace said:
If you're looking for recoil that literally moves your POV upwards as you hold down the trigger and you have to compensate by moving your mouse back down, then probably not, but I haven't really noticed. I'll pay more attention tonight.

I remember aiming low in CS with the AK and just letting it ride up someone's torso in a 3 shot burst due to its recoil.

In that sense, did STALKER have recoil?

CS recoil is an example of some of the best recoil mechanics in games today. It does move your POV upwards, but it comes back down on its own.

shuri

Banned
what a amazing demo, it does destroy my rig, so i think i'll be upgrading in the coming months, but still wow.

I'm really impressed.

Shawsie64

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Spread =/= recoil.

I feel recoil in arma 2.. I think.. :lol

TheExodu5 said:
CS recoil is an example of some of the best recoil mechanics in games today. It does move your POV upwards, but it comes back down on its own.

:lol

Sorry.

From all the vids I've seen, there is recoil. Watch any of the VBS2 features vids (VBS2 is ArmA 1 essentially) and they go into detail on recoil.

As far as spread =/= recoil...you realize that a gun, barring major mechanism deficiencies, pretty much shoots where you point it?

Recoil causes spread and inaccuracy.

Think about CS versus R6/Ghost Recon (the originals). CS bounces your gun around the screen. In R6/Ghost Recon, your crosshairs pretty much stay in the same place, but the shots go everywhere if you shoot full auto. They're two different systems for simulating recoil.

Not to mention that in real life, the M4 and M249 are low recoil weapons.

My girlfriend paused my download when she got home today. Looks like I won't be playing tonight :-\

chespace

Mr. Snrub said:
My girlfriend paused my download when she got home today. Looks like I won't be playing tonight :-\

Break up with her! How dare she!

Burger

If you have a support chopper, and move your squad into it, how the hell do you command that chopper to move to a location ?

Zeliard

Burger said:
If you have a support chopper, and move your squad into it, how the hell do you command that chopper to move to a location ?

That was very annoying to figure out, and the way you do it is needlessly unintuitive, much like a lot of other orders you give out.

Go to your map. Then hit 0, go to communication, then transport, and when it says "active transport", trigger that while having your cursor pointed to the location on the map where you want to go.

Burger

Zeliard said:
That was very annoying to figure out, and the way you do it is needlessly unintuitive, much like a lot of other orders you give out.

Go to your map. Then hit 0, go to communication, then transport, and when it says "active transport", trigger that while having your cursor pointed to the location on the map where you want to go.

Thanks.

TheExodu5 said:
Spread =/= recoil.

The game does have recoil and not just bullet spread, the gun itself is kicked up.

And about that running fine thing....

Yeah, not so much. first mission was butter but second one in the town was fucking impossible. Overclocked my dual core from 3 to 3.6 and now that mission is somewhat playable.

Benchmark app netted me 25 at stock speeds, after over clock it scores 32.

MGHA

Hopefully the final game and patch will fix the bugs and performance issues. Game is really fun though.

Darklord

Banned
EviLore said:
Several reasons.

-Muzzle flash/smoke is visually archaic, and bullets contacting surfaces barely registers anything at all, just the same tiny puff of smoke/dirt on the ground (same whether it's paved or soil) and nothing even happens with most other surfaces.

-No ricochets.

-No bullet drop that I could discern.

-No proper reload animations (yeah, I know, crapload of guns)

That seems really weird for a sim like this. No bullet drop? Strange. Everything you said will be fixed by a mod though I bet.

Are they serious with these respawn locations... in the middle of a fucking field with some dude perched on the roof sniping. MP can die in a fire

Top Bottom