• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official ArmA 2 Thread of DOGCHUTES RGR

Zeliard

Darklord said:
Screw it. I ordered it. Bugs or not, I want this game!

ArmA 2 is good enough that the bugs are worth fighting through. When you play the game, you quickly realize that it's so ridiculously ambitious and huge that bugs were almost inevitable.

Practically speaking, they can certainly be annoying and game-breaking, but the good overshadows the bad in this case by a longshot. If there was ever a game worth playing through the bugs, this is it.

The game reminds me a lot of the original STALKER. The crazy random bugs almost add to the abject terror that the game conveys due to its atmosphere and realism. You really never know what's about to happen. :lol

Zeliard said:
The game is good enough that the bugs are worth fighting through. When you play the game, you quickly realize that it's so ridiculously amibitious and huge that bugs were almost inevitable.

Practically speaking, they can certainly be annoying and game-breaking, but the good overshadows the bad in this case by a longshot. If there was ever a game worth playing through the bugs, this is it.

The game reminds me a lot of the original STALKER. The crazy random bugs almost add to the abject terror that the game conveys due to its atmosphere and realism. You really never know what's about to happen. :lol

Why must you tempt me so! I am trying to wait for SF4 to arrive on Steam but this game keeps calling me!!!

Nikorasu

I didn't want to get this on steam (hardcopy ftw) or suffer the extra long wait for NA retail (I've been playing the German version atm) so I just ordered the European version, along with the original Euro version of arma 1. Why? Because apparently Atari neutered the original newscast cutscenes in A1 because they weren't very flattering to the US army. The US version just has text and voice over from an American grunt's diary. Feh.

Arma 1's campaign wasn't exactly fantastic anyway, but it was 10 bucks and I'm interested in seeing what they thought was worth keeping from us.

Dina

Templar Wizard said:
yes, you need to download the game. not too difficult SON.

But what about the supposed mouselag when you've pirated the game? The pricedifference is huge, but I'm still not sold on cdkey shops. Rather have DD.

Huggy

I wouldn't just buy a CD key and get the game itself elsewhere.
These developers somewhat have a reputation of... messing with you if their software figures out you haven't been going through the proper channels.

Dina

Templar Wizard said:
who said anything about pirating the game?

Che/BI forums claimed that people who pirated the game got mouselag. Having bought a cdkey might not be classified as pirating, but what if the game detects if you installed it through a download somewhere on the web (probably clonedvd rip)?

Dina said:
Che/BI forums claimed that people who pirated the game got mouselag. Having bought a cdkey might not be classified as pirating, but what if the game detects if you installed it through a download somewhere on the web (probably clonedvd rip)?
the fade doesn't go into effect as fast as that, it will let you play for a while. so the mouselag stuff and whatever is just bullshit, it isn't caused by the anti-piracy code. it's caused by bad framerate and the mouse acceleration interacting with each other in wonderful ways.

Regarding Razor Two, I got nosey and extracted the map file and had a look at it in the editor.

1. Lopotev CANNOT be captured. He doesn't even exist.
2. Bardak CAN be captured OR killed. Bardak spawns in a blue rusty car just south of Pusta. He then DRIVES to one of the key areas that you visit during the mission. Quarry/Castle/Power Plant/Northern red x marked camp. One attempt I found his car at the north red camp but couldn't find him, another he was standing in the quarry. Dunno if he gets back in and drives off, but regardless it's going to take him a while to get to any of these locations. To capture him you must chase him around until you get close lol.
3. There are only THREE items of evidence in the map, the fourth IS Bardak. (capturing him is the 4th)

The mission ends when;
Lopotev escapes (this cannot be prevented)
Bardak is killed.
Bardak is captured.

http://www.mcvuk.com/press-releases/48566/ArmA-II

What the fuck?

Bohemia Interactive and Got Game Entertainment announce their partnership for ARMA II's North American release
Prague, Czech Republic, June 22nd - Bohemia Interactive, creators of award winning military simulation Operation Flashpoint* and ArmA: Combat Operations and Got Game Entertainment, US leading publisher of interactive entertainment games, announced today their partnershipfor the North American retail release of ARMA II, one of the most anticipated PC Game of 2009. The two companies have partnered together to bring the game to most major retail outlets throughout North America this July.
Bohemia Interactive once invented the genre of realistic military sand-box games and it aims now to re-define that genre with its upcoming game ARMA II, the ultimate military simulator, powered by the 3rd generation of their original Real Virtuality engine that's also used to train soldiers in numerous countries from Australia to the United States.
"North America is one of the most powerful and important markets in terms of a game's marketing and distribution," said Marek Spanel, Bohemia's CEO. Spanelcontinues "We were looking for responsible and credible partners who will focus on ARMA II with the kind of drive and enthusiasm that this huge project deserves. We feel Got Game Ent. will be the right partner for us and I believe together we will make ARMA II a success in North America."
"We are very excited to bring ARMA II to the North American market," said Got Game Entertainment President Howard Horowitz. "This caliber of game brings Got Game Entertainment to a new level of excellence and certainly ushers in a new era for our company."
ARMA II will offer the ultimate realistic combat simulation experience in a modern day setting. With unprecedented freedom of movement, actions and tactics, unbeatable detailed weapons and military hardware, easy-to-use built in mission editor and one of the most dedicated online communities around. The game will allow players to immerse themselves into the battle as never before.

ARMA II is scheduled for an in store Date of July 7th, 2009. For more information please visit the official homepage at www.arma2.com and www.GotGameEntertainment.com

???

Zeliard

MrPing1000 said:
Regarding Razor Two, I got nosey and extracted the map file and had a look at it in the editor.

1. Lopotev CANNOT be captured. He doesn't even exist.
2. Bardak CAN be captured OR killed. Bardak spawns in a blue rusty car just south of Pusta. He then DRIVES to one of the key areas that you visit during the mission. Quarry/Castle/Power Plant/Northern red x marked camp. One attempt I found his car at the north red camp but couldn't find him, another he was standing in the quarry. Dunno if he gets back in and drives off, but regardless it's going to take him a while to get to any of these locations. To capture him you must chase him around until you get close lol.
3. There are only THREE items of evidence in the map, the fourth IS Bardak. (capturing him is the 4th)

The mission ends when;
Lopotev escapes (this cannot be prevented)
Bardak is killed.
Bardak is captured.

What the fuck. :lol

Lopotev, that asshole. Well, that's good to know.

Is that a bug or is it intentional? Do you chase him down later on? Seems strange that it would tell you that he'll cross the border in 20 minutes when he doesn't exist in the game world.

bee

lol, theres no fade happening here its just ridiculous amounts of mouse lag, 30-40fps isnt a low frame rate and certainly crysis feels super smooth using the same so its their coding

Zeliard said:
What the fuck. :lol

Lopotev, that asshole. Well, that's good to know.

Is that a bug or is it intentional? Do you chase him down later on? Seems strange that it would tell you that he'll cross the border in 20 minutes when he doesn't exist in the game world.

It's intentional, and I think you find him later.

Darklord

Banned
Is there really no ragdoll in this? I heard the deaths were still canned and still 'finish reloading animation before falling over' type stuff.

Seems odd.

Darklord said:
Is there really no ragdoll in this? I heard the deaths were still canned and still 'finish reloading animation before falling over' type stuff.

Seems odd.

Yeah, seems strange to me, but they're scope has always been larger than just infantry. Still, a good physics engine would be great, not just for infantry, but for the destruction present in the game.

Steam FAQ: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1325716#post1325716

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Darklord said:

Seems odd.

i find this strange as well, as it was one of the things I was hoping for going from ofp to arma

This one change would make arma 2's immersion sooooo much better

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Good info there. I really hope they do a pre-load, 8gb when the servers get slammed is going to take forever. Doesn't look like it's going to happen though with only 2 days left.

Yeah, same :-\ I want to play this FIRST THING Friday, dammit.

llaannccee

The Youtube videos have sold me on this game. Did not know anything about it until last week. What joystick should i get was thinking of the Saitek Cyborg X.

llaannccee said:
The Youtube videos have sold me on this game. Did not know anything about it until last week. What joystick should i get was thinking of the Saitek Cyborg X.
should be ok. the vehicle stuff is quite light sim and easy to control.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Stayed up till 3am playing ArmA 2 last night.

Was too tired to post impressions or screenshots.

Plus, I was still just going through the tutorials and messing around with the Armoury, which is awesome by itself as it constantly presents you with little mini-games and challenges (defend this spot, kill this squad, hunt animals, etc).

Insanely immersive. Intense too.

chespace said:

Plus, I was still just going through the tutorials and messing around with the Armoury, which is awesome by itself as it constantly presents you with little mini-games and challenges (defend this spot, kill this squad, hunt animals, etc).

You asshole, you can't say that and not post anymore or screens!

Yeah, its pretty amazing what the fans' Youtube videos have done for this game, its like a viral advertising campaign on its own.

Darklord

Banned
I was wondering. Is this series just 'ArmA' now? I haven't once seen it called Armed Assault 2.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Good info there. I really hope they do a pre-load, 8gb when the servers get slammed is going to take forever. Doesn't look like it's going to happen though with only 2 days left.

I can't imagine the servers getting slammed over ArmA 2. It's not a million plus seller like L4D or AA3.

Darklord said:
I was wondering. Is this series just 'ArmA' now? I haven't once seen it called Armed Assault 2.

I can't imagine the servers getting slammed over ArmA 2. It's not a million plus seller like L4D or AA3.

Well, I mean...

It'll do fine, methinks. I wonder how many will hold out for the hard copy?

chespace said:

Come on brah, you can't leave us hanging like that.

Darklord

Banned
Shawsie64 said:
I really hope they do a pre-load on steam.. take forever on my Australian internet :(

Order it from the UK like I did then, it's only $48. You'll just have to wait 4-5 days for postage.

people are actually buying the steam version? :O nuts

Darklord said:
I think a couple of german sites consistently referred to it as armed assault 2, but never bis. armed assault was just the subtitle of arma1.

Shawsie64

Banned
Darklord said:
Order it from the UK like I did then, it's only $48. You'll just have to wait 4-5 days for postage.

Very tempting.. prob come a few days later than steam release though with download speed who knows :lol. Where did you buy from?

chespace

Like I said, I spent most of my time just getting to know the evolution of the OpFlash engine again. It's been many years since I last played OpFlash: Resistance, and curbing old FPS habits is hard, especially since the last FPS games I got really into were Crysis, COD4, and to some extent FEAR2.

For those of you getting into the OpFlash/ArmA engine for the first time, the first big adjustment you have to make is just how the game moves and animates. Overall, everything has a deliberate sense of weight -- you're embodied in this world and looking down will reveal your shoulders, arms, legs, and weapon if you've lowered it or slung it on your side. When you run, the camera shake/head-bob gives you a sense of kinetic momentum, and again, a sense of weight with every step you take. So I guess what this means is that your character feels encumbered and with a slight tinge of delay, whether it's in how quickly you can start and stop running or in how your character handles his weapon on the move. This is definitely not just another floating turret type of FPS.

The best part of the OpFlash engine has always been the way you can move in one direction and look independently in another without having to turn/strafe. It really adds to the immersion and the sense that, again, you exist in a body. With the addition of motion blur and other post-effects, the illusion is nearly complete.

So anyway, one of the very first tutorial missions has you go into a village on a training exercise (apparently with live ammo since you can actually die) and eliminate a squad of 5 or 6 guys. It was intense and refreshing in a way I hadn't felt since I first played OpFlash back in early 2001 and I knew I was in for a treat. The AI here is pretty dynamic and, to make a long story short, scoring a kill in close-quarters in an urban environment felt like a major victory. Since the AI doesn't cheat, I was able to flank and get behind at least one of them and pop up from a window across the street and gun them down. When it came down to the last couple guys, things got really tense. Nobody wanted to run out into the open street. :lol I must stress -- this was THE FUCKING TUTORIAL.

Anyway, awesome game. Can't wait to play it for reals tonight.

chespace said:
So anyway, one of the very first tutorial missions has you go into a village on a training exercise (apparently with live ammo since you can actually die) and eliminate a squad of 5 or 6 guys. It was intense and refreshing in a way I hadn't felt since I first played OpFlash back in early 2001 and I knew I was in for a treat. The AI here is pretty dynamic and, to make a long story short, scoring a kill in close-quarters in an urban environment felt like a major victory. Since the AI doesn't cheat, I was able to flank and get behind at least one of them and pop up from a window across the street and gun them down. When it came down to the last couple guys, things got really tense. Nobody wanted to run out into the open street. :lol I must stress -- this was THE FUCKING TUTORIAL.
I brought a couple of rockets along from the previous part for this last bit. Took out all of them except two before entering the town. Hehe. Cheater!

chespace

MickeyKnox said:
What's performance like che?

And post screens motherfucker!

Performance was good on my rig, but obviously not 60+ fps stellar.

Q9550 @ 3.8
8GB DDR2
ATI 4870x2
Vista x64

I'm playing the game with everything on Very High running 1920x1200 with the fillrate (or 3D resolution, whatever the fuck that means) at 100% and getting average of 45 fps. I haven't done a real test with Fraps but this is just what I was seeing every time I looked in the corner of my screen. I played around with the mission editor and dropped in a ton of tanks and helicopters and sure enough the framerate dipped to around 30, sometimes going as low as 25fps.

There you have it. This game is a hog and officially runs slower than Crysis for me. :lol

Top Bottom