• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Destiny Alpha Withdrawal Thread

Your attachments and stuff carry over, which I have concerns about. But otherwise, your damage stats are equalized out, so everyone's autorifle does the same damage, everyone's sniper rifle does the same damage, etc

Im guessing the prefixes (gear add-ons like faster reload speed) also carry over? And weapons with a faster fire rate, for example, probably do less dmg per bullet so that damage is probably mitigated at the same ratio as lower fire rate/higher dmg per bullet? It seems to work well in the alpha whatever they did, but as I said in another thread, I'm a bit worried about how exotic gear is going to affect balance as I'm sure the special abilities they unlock will also cross over. Could be cool though.

broony

Just to go back to people talking about Vita and voice chat, just tested and if you start a party on vita then launch the remote play app it boots you out if your party.

DeMeester

What I'm still wondering is with how many players you'll be able to team up in the campaign. The Explore and Strike portions of the game allow a fire team of up to 3 players. Vault of Glass should have a max of 6, but are we allowed to have up to 4-6 in story mode?

Hoodbury

What I'm still wondering is with how many players you'll be able to team up in the campaign. The Explore and Strike portions of the game allow a fire team of up to 3 players. Vault of Glass should have a max of 6, but are we allowed to have up to 4-6 in story mode?

In the Alpha you could only do 3 for the story mode.

No source, but I'm almost positive they've said all PvE content is 3 man fireteams except for the raid. You'll run into other people in the open world and you could form ad-hoc groups but you won't be in a "party" per se.

majik13

DeMeester

In the Alpha you could only do 3 for the story mode.

I thought it was only Strike, Explore and Crucible in the Alpha? Hmmm.. or was the Moon Wizard part Story?

No source, but I'm almost positive they've said all PvE content is 3 man fireteams except for the raid. You'll run into other people in the open world and you could form ad-hoc groups but you won't be in a "party" per se.

That's a shame :(. I was hoping to team up with 3 friends for a weekend full of Destiny campaign awesomeness. Just like with Halo 3 - Reach.

majik13

Campaign = story missions.

odd, thats what i always thought but I swear I read otherwise just yesterday, but now I cant find it but it is still strange with Luke's wording here. from that link.(which orginated from Gaf)

"Story missions – soloable activities (you can still play them in groups of up to 3!), often with ties to the main story arc of Destiny (the campaign). "

they are specifically differentiating between story missions and a separate campaign.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
odd, thats what i always thought but I swear I read otherwise just yesterday, but now I cant find it but it is still strange with Luke's wording here. from that link.(which orginated from Gaf)

they are specifically differentiating between story missions and a separate campaign.
They just see only the main story arc as 'the campaign'. Story missions are either part of that main arc ( and thus the campaign ), or take place outside of that main arc ( think of those like side missions ).

DeMeester

The whole "that wizard came from the moon" stuff was from the campaign/story. There was 1 story mission in Alpha.

Yeah, I just noticed that when looking at a youtube video of the alpha Earth map. Apparently I was oblivious to it when actually playing the Alpha last week :).

Hoodbury

Yeah, I just noticed that when looking at a youtube video of the alpha Earth map. Apparently I was oblivious to it when actually playing the Alpha last week :).

yeah, took me awhile to see it as well but you could replay it as much as you wanted and also like the strike change the difficulty of it to legendary or whatever. I think someone even said if you chose to do it on legendary it has a different boss mob. But don't quote me on that.

Your attachments and stuff carry over, which I have concerns about. But otherwise, your damage stats are equalized out, so everyone's autorifle does the same damage, everyone's sniper rifle does the same damage, etc

Not entirely true (since not all autorifles do the same damage in multiplayer), but I assume you're just glossing over the difference between Attack and Impact for the sake of simplicity.

Brannon

Did Bungie explained why they chose the "3 players experience" instead of the standard four multiplayer coop ?

May be the whole "3-point" motif going on. Three-man team minimum, three points on the Destiny logo, Guardian vs Hive vs Fallen, life span for humanity tripled, and so on and so forth. Holy shit typing on a phone sucks.

majik13

Did Bungie explain why they chose the "3 players experience" instead of the standard four multiplayer coop ?

yeah i would have prefered at least 4. But I am guessing maybe because there are 3 classes? Or perhaps it is just a resource bottleneck/optimization thing.

Would be cool, if they add a new class and more slots to the fireteam down the road.

Marvel

could never
Yep, me and a couple of my friends are going to try to blow through all the story missions at midnight release (because let's face it, there will be midnight releases for a game as big as Destiny).
Enjoy! don't know what I will be hitting first, depends on who is online at the time really for me. Most of my friends are in different time zones.

Korben

Banned
I missed the Alpha, was on vacation. Do have a Beta code, so there's that.

Good news (i guess): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=844217

The heretics who have not pre-ordered the game or didn't know the "amazon trick" will join us if they have a PS+ subscription.

This meant more Awoken to laughing at and a significant increase of kicked Vex's balls.

Back at the whole "3 players experience", i really hope they will release a new Class via DLC/addon, maybe a "pure healer" or something like that...

Trickster

Back at the whole "3 players experience", i really hope they will release a new Class via DLC/addon, maybe a "pure healer" or something like that...

Not sure what you mean by pure healer, one of the classes will already have a sub class that's healer based afaik. Unless you mean a class that can't use guns, and is only there to do nothing but heal other players, like in traditional holy trinity type mmo's ?

Was told all ARs do the same damage *shrug*

Check out these two shotguns:

640px-Graviton_ESM.png

640px-Graviton_ESC.png

Damage is a function of Attack AND Impact. When comparing these guns for use in Story/PvE modes, the Attack value is of great concern. In PvP modes, Attack is equalized - but Impact is NOT equalized. (Nor is Range, Stability, Reload, ROF, or Magazine size.) So when comparing single-shot damage for these two guns in PvP, ignore Attack and just look at the relative sizes of their Impact bars.

Some upgrades will boost a weapon's Attack, but then that upgrade will have no affect on the gun's damage output in PvP. Other upgrades can rebalance the gun's stats, boosting Impact while reducing ROF for example. Rarer weapons might have additional perks.

All of the above is similarly reflected in Gear/Armor - the Defense number is meaningless in PvP but secondary traits can give you perks - like faster handcannon reloading. Picking your PvP weapons/gear is sort of like picking your Perks in Call of Duty. (But remember, you can only have ONE exotic weapon and ONE exotic piece of gear equipped at any time.)

The way I see it one is a pretty lonely number. In fact the loneliest number you'll ever do

Two...hmmm... two is not as bad as one but it's the loneliest number since the number one. Yeah.

So three just barely beats minimum.

DeMeester

yeah, took me awhile to see it as well but you could replay it as much as you wanted and also like the strike change the difficulty of it to legendary or whatever. I think someone even said if you chose to do it on legendary it has a different boss mob. But don't quote me on that.

I remember there being some extra enemies on legend difficulty. In the room with the Moon Wizard there were some exploding hive enemies if I remember correctly.

Korben

Banned
Why are you quoting the PS+ info, I already have a Beta code. It was the Alpha I missed.

To point out that you don't need your beta code anymore (apparently) if you have a PS+ subscription. So having a beta code is no longer a "privilege".

Not sure what you mean by pure healer, one of the classes will already have a sub class that's healer based afaik. Unless you mean a class that can't use guns, and is only there to do nothing but heal other players, like in traditional holy trinity type mmo's ?

I don't mean something as "radical" as the "Holy MMO Trinity", but we were talking previously about the fact that each Class seems to be "DPS oriented" at first time and the only thing which change in the end is the way you're dealing with that "DPS orientation" ("i'm a hunter, i'll do better against a single mob", "i'm a Warlock, i'll do fine with AOE attack", etc).

So i was thinking (too much ?) if a new Class (via DLC/addon) NOT "DPS oriented" (but you still get your gun, no worries, Guardians love the 2nd amendment) but more "support oriented" with special abilities which lead to another kind of gameplay would be a good "plus" for Destiny.

No (i see you Dax01) ?

Horse

Banned
Ok.

So here you go Horse, you're still a special horse.

I'm proud.

ps: But (change of topic) Hunter > Titan, you'll have to acknowledge it, sooner or later.

I'll always be GAFs special Horse. And no I shall not acknowledge a puny Hunter superior to a Titan.

False alarm on that. Confirmed on twitter you still need a preorder.

Glad I kept the code then, I almost gave it to a poor.

Top Bottom