• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Dresden Hype thread: Skin Game comes out May 27th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
I'm surprised there hasn't been a hype thread for the series yet, so I thought I'd be the one to do it.

skingame_lg.jpg

What is it?

The Dresden Files is a Urban Fantasy mystery series starting Harry Dresden, a very snarky wizard in what can only be collectively described as a world of awesome. The best way to determine if you would like this series is to ask if and how much you like fantasy. Because if you like fantasy AT ALL, you will find something you like in the series.

Do you like magic systems that make sense while still remaining mystical? That's in here. Werewolves? Yup. Vampires? They come in 3 different varieties. Ghosts? Got it. Faeries? They're my personal favorite part too. Fallen Angels, Zombies, Eldritch abominations? Check, check and check. Gods? Norse, Judeo-Catholic, and a Hades is a major part of the new book coming out now. Santa Claus? Oh hell yeah, and he kicks ass.

To be honest, it'd be harder to name the mythologies that the Dresden Files has not yet incorporated or mentioned in some way. And the insane thing is, what makes this series stand out in a way above other series, is that it incorporates all these elements in a way that make sense.

Similarly, it features a huge cast of really awesome characters. At this point, after 15 books, they all have had major character development. I won't spoil anything by talking about them, but I'll say this much: I've never really seen any series do what the Dresden Files do as well as they have. You would think that after 15 books, over 14 years of publishing, that characters would stagnate. But no, they're all quite dynamic. Nor have they compromised the world they live in to get that development. And to add to that, they are just all such cool characters. Marcone is a brilliant crime lord akin to Xanatos from Gargoyles. Thomas Raith is a 'tragic vampire' figure done right if I've ever seen it (also, I just love this picture because it's true). Murphy is THE badass normal with how she is nothing but a cop with a gun, but manages to hold her own against the hordes of darkness. Michael, on top of being an awesome character, is the best representation of Christianity I've ever seen in fantasy story. And the villains, are all equally awesome.

And naturally, awesome characters + awesome setting invariably = awesome moments. There are a ton of those, as well as really funny moments (Dresden's humor improves along with the series TREMENDOUSLY) which I will not spoil for you. I will just advise you, if you manage to get to book 9, to keep an eye on a certain dinosaur.

So, if you are a fan of fantasy to ANY degree...you'll find something to like here. And more importantly, if you are a fan of awesome characters, you'll find LOTS to love here.

So whats bad about it?

Other than the massive time investment of 15 books? Well, the truth is the first few books just aren't as good. Obviously, your milage may vary, but...Okay, look I'll just tell you my journey into the Dresden Files fandom.

I was recommended the book online somewhere and decided to read through it. The prose was quite simplistic, which made the 200 or so page book for a very fast read, but I was unimpressed. I would even say that the book was less than mediocre. Not terrible, but below average enough not to be called average. But for whatever reason, a few months later, I just got the urge to read the next book. I don't know why, since I knew the first book wasn't all that great. I guess I just didn't have anything better to do, or whatever. This urge would repeat itself for the next 4 books as well, though each book was better than the last. I'd finish a book, set it down, glad to have finished it, but seeing no reason to continue it and intend to just drop the series...and then I pick up the next one a few months later on a whim. And yeah, book 2 was an improvement, from below average to average. And book 3 was just slightly better than that. And book 4 was JUST what I'd call good, but that was more because I'm a big fan of Sidhe mythology, which it featured heavily. Book 5 holds it's own no matter what your preferred mythology is, but if you like Fallen Angels, even better, but it was still not mindblowing.

Well, whatever that urge was, I thank it for keeping me at it. I hope the fact that I was a firm skeptic for more than half the series that it would reach the hype levels I heard about, the hype levels I am echoing now, is enough to counterbalance how fanboyish I sound now.... But each book really did crawl up it's way on the scale of quality, inch by inch. It earned my fanboyishness. The point I would say the series officially becomes good is book 4, but I want to stress that doesn't make books 1-3 terrible or anything. They're just not anywhere near the levels the series would later reach. You have to decide for yourself if reading a few merely okay books is worth the price for the awesomeness to come. But the series totally converted me, and I would think it'd do the same for you.

And the new one?

Skin game, if the premise is anything to go by, might be the best yet. 15 books in, the basic premise contains a huge spoiler, so I'll highlight for the newbs that don't want to be spoiled.

As the Winter Knight, Dresden has to work for Mab...and Mab owes a favor to Nicodemus, the leader of the host of Fallen Angels. So Harry's job is to help with with a heist...Nicodemus plans to steal something from Hades itself.

Now, is anyone else nerdgasming as hard as I am here?
A fallen angel wants to start shit with the Greek God of the Underworld
!

Two days cannot pass soon enough

Update:

Careful. I was just on Wikipedia to look up where you were at and they are merciless with spoilers there. I'll just throw up the book order here.

1 Storm Front
2 Fool Moon
3 Grave Peril
4 Summer Knight
5 Death Masks
6 Blood Rites
7 Dead Beat
8 Proven Guilty
9 White Night
10 Small Favor
11 Turn Coat
12 Changes
13 Ghost Story
14 Cold Days
15 Skin Game

And Side Jobs is an anthology of short stories Butcher has released elsewhere.

Tucah

you speak so well
I always mean to get into the series - I've read the first book and liked it but then somehow got distracted during the second and never finished it. I own like a half a dozen of the books, hah.

This might be the week of powering through Dresden for me, even if I'll probably try and keep out of this thread for fear of later book spoilers.

Pollux

Ahhhh I was going to make the OT for Skin Game tomorrow!!!!

Ah well, should be a good book. Just finished my re-read of Cold Days so I'm ready to go!

Feep

Banned
I think I've read nine of these books. Slowly working my way through...whenever I happen to wind up in a bookstore, I see if they have the next book I need.

Always enjoyable. = D

Veelk

Banned
And 4 flavors of vampires.

Well, sort of.

There's a total of seven, apparently, but other than the Red, Black, White and Jade, they're not much to speak of. I'd still love to see them regardless though.

I absolutely love Lara though. If there is any villain I hope survives the whole series, I want it to be her.

Veelk

Banned
You that is the one I stopped reading at isn't that the one with the big reveal about
Harry's brother
?

Ah, no, that is called Blood Rites. Death Masks is the one that introduced the Fallen Angels, right before it.

The next one you have to look forward to is Dead Beat, which is one with a LOT of great moments in it. You can look forward to Nega-Santa Claus, the manly and epic hero known as Waldo Butters, and one of the most iconic, absurdly, amazingly awesome scenes in the entire series.

Pollux

There's a total of seven, apparently, but other than the Red, Black, White and Jade, they're not much to speak of. I'd still love to see them regardless though.

I absolutely love Lara though. If there is any villain I hope survives the whole series, I want it to be her.
True, I'm blanking here...what are the other three again?

Veelk

Banned

Slayven

Ah, no, that is called Blood Rites. Death Masks is the one that introduced the Fallen Angels, right before it.

The next one you have to look forward to is Dead Beat, which is one with a LOT of great moments in it. You can look forward to Nega-Santa Claus, the manly and epic hero known as Waldo Butters, and one of the most iconic, absurdly, amazingly awesome scenes in the entire series.

Dman I don't know where I am at in teh series. I going to wiki them.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Amazon put the first 6 books the other day for 2.99 each, I already had and read the first book so I grabbed the 5 on a heart beat.

Veelk

Banned
Dman I don't know where I am at in teh series. I going to wiki them.

Careful. I was just there to look up where you were at and they are merciless with spoilers there. I'll just throw up the book order here.

1 Storm Front
2 Fool Moon
3 Grave Peril
4 Summer Knight
5 Death Masks
6 Blood Rites
7 Dead Beat
8 Proven Guilty
9 White Night
10 Small Favor
11 Turn Coat
12 Changes
13 Ghost Story
14 Cold Days
15 Skin Game

And Side Jobs is an anthology of short stories Butcher has released elsewhere.

Tedesco!

Butcher will be signing his books at several live events. I will not be able to attend, but I can get a copy signed. I'm trying to think of something witty for the inscription...

Veelk

Banned
Oh yeah, this comes out this week.

Please please please be better than Ghost Story and Cold Days...

Watchu talkin' about Willis?

Ghost story
was mean to be a denoement after
the craziness that was Changes
, and it is basically the one book that was a step down from the previous in the series imo (though that could just be because I had the wrong expectations).

But
Cold Days
?
Cold Days
was awesome. Possibly my favorite in the series. What do you have against
deadly Fae politics
, not to mention all the crazy shit on
Demonreach
?

Jon Armdog

Man, this is great. These new Dresden books always sneak up on me - it's a fantastic surprise, I can't wait to read the new one now.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Really? No Dresden files fans here? Well, this is awkward.
Love it, read them all and this one should land on my kindle real soon only thing I hate about it is it takes me about 2 days to finish the book :(

Chorazin

Watchu talkin' about Willis?

Ghost story
was mean to be a denoement after
the craziness that was Changes
, and it is basically the one book that was a step down from the previous in the series imo (though that could just be because I had the wrong expectations).

But
Cold Days
?
Cold Days
was awesome. Possibly my favorite in the series. What do you have against
deadly Fae politics
, not to mention all the crazy shit on
Demonreach
?

Eh.... none of that stuff really did anything for me. Maybe I'm just over Dresden, the series is running mad long.

I wish his next series wasn't Steampunk, but If its a finite series I might check it out anyways. Codex Alera was GODDAMN brilliant.

I'm not that excited about this book. I love the series but the aftermath of Changes has pretty much resolved and I just know that there is going to be another cliffhanger ending followed by a year of yearning to know what happened. Supposedly there are going to be 20 or so books so I might wait if I can resist the urge.

Veelk

Banned
Eh.... none of that stuff really did anything for me. Maybe I'm just over Dresden, the series is running mad long.

I wish his next series wasn't Steampunk, but If its a finite series I might check it out anyways. Codex Alera was GODDAMN brilliant.

It's mad long, but that's what I find so impressive about it. It keeps improving and it looks like it's gonna reach even higher highs soon. But I respect your opinion.

What makes Code Alexa different? I haven't read that one yet.

I'm not that excited about this book. I love the series but the aftermath of Changes has pretty much resolved and I just know that there is going to be another cliffhanger ending followed by a year of yearning to know what happened. Supposedly there are going to be 20 or so books so I might wait if I can resist the urge.

There's a cliffhanger on pretty much every book, but I think they reach a satisfying conclusion in most ways. And yeah, there are suppose to be 20, but Butcher said the events of Changes were suppose to happen at book 10, so we might be going up to 22-24. And then an apocalytic trilogy to top things off. And while it'd be awesome to have the entire series available, I definitely can't wait 9 years (minimum) for it to end. Cold Days had shit get realer than real and Skin Game had me hooked the moment it mentioned Nicodemus and Hades Vault.

RetroMG

Sweet, a specific thread for Skin Game. I'm super excited. My wife and I are both taking the day off for it. (Well, and also to extend the holiday and for Watch Dogs and a bunch of other reasons.)

I'm also heading up to Phoenix Comicon in a couple weeks specifically to go to the Jim Butcher Q&A

Crossposting from the Older Dresden Files thread, has anyone posted this video yet? There's a group of fans who makes fan films from the books, and Butcher gave them permission (and spoilers) to make a trailer for Skin Game.

Warning! There is potentially at least one major spoiler in there at the very end.

It's OK. Some of the people are hit or miss, but the guys they got to play
Nicodemus
and
Michael
are spot on, IMO.

Wiktor

Hyped as fuck. No novels get me as hyped as Dresden ones.

I must say though, this one is surprisingly thin in page count compared to couple last ones.

Wiktor

What makes Code Alexa different? I haven't read that one yet.

It took the concept of Pokemon and made it actually cool for grown ups :)

But seriously, it's just very well done fantasy series. With nice Roman world, great magic system, sympathetic characters and great power ups. It's also full of "fuck yeah!" moments. Not to mention it's refreshingly fast read. It has small group of characters that do epic shit every volumne, instead of dozens, like it's popular now in the genre.

Veelk

Banned
Hyped as fuck. No novels get me as hyped as Dresden ones.

I must say though, this one is surprisingly thin in page count compared to couple last ones.

I did a quick search. As of your post, there are only 2 threads that surpass the post count with Dresden in the title, one of them one I made a while ago, and both are in the 50-60's range.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are that many Dresden fans on here. There should be more, given the kind of audience Gaf is typically composed of. But I think the high book count intimidates them, as well as the fact that some drop the series because of the less than amazeballs first few books. But that's why I made the OP the way I did, so we can hopefully snag a few younglings in here.

Ratrat

I read the first two. They were okay, nothing spectacular. Dresden is a really likable protagonist. I really hated Murphy though.

Kattbuss

Really excited about this! I have it preordered at my local sci-fi bookstore, sometimes they release books a day early but I haven't gotten an e-mail yet so I think I have to wait until tomorrow.

Read the first of the preview chapters when it got put online, read half of it and decided it would just make the waiting harder so I didn't continue.

Seeing as the series have, in my opinion, been on a steady upwards slope in terms of quality since the first one, this could be the best one yet.

Kattbuss

Hell yes it was! Definitely one of my favorite series. I wish Butcher would revisit it - maybe go forward or backward significantly and cover some other portion of that world's history.

Agreed. It might be redundant since the books covered the basics but a prequel following the
lost roman legion
would be very interesting.

Somax

Subscribed. Going to dive in it immediately after I finish my current reading (Brent Weeks "Beyond the shadows").

Jetman

Totally forgot this was coming out. Day One. I think I've read damn near everything Butcher has wrote thanks to the Dresden series. Fun series to read, a ton of interesting characters, and an interesting universe full of mythical villains (although I wish Dresden would get out of Chicago more). Dresden is written like a Peter Parker who always has the odds stacked against him but succeeds in the end thanks to outsmarting the enemy in some way or getting help from expected or unexpected friends. Speaking of Peter Parker, Butcher writes an awesome Parker, Rhino, and Black Kat in his book, Dark Days.
Codex Alera series? Also good stuff. I guess I'd label it, Roman High Fantasy? Full of World Class sword fighters who can summon elemental spirits of water, fire, air, earth, and metal to heighten offensive, healing, scouting or fighting abilities. The main character has a core group of friends/family who help him survive, same as Dresden. Enjoyed the hell out of it, and glad to see others here have read it to.

Jetman

Didn't know this new book involved
Nicodemus
though. Maybe Murphy will finally claim one of the Swords or give them away or something. Also want more White, Black, and/or Grey Council stuff.

Wiktor

I did a quick search. As of your post, there are only 2 threads that surpass the post count with Dresden in the title, one of them one I made a while ago, and both are in the 50-60's range.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are that many Dresden fans on here. There should be more, given the kind of audience Gaf is typically composed of. But I think the high book count intimidates them, as well as the fact that some drop the series because of the less than amazeballs first few books. But that's why I made the OP the way I did, so we can hopefully snag a few younglings in here.
Lol....I meant pages in novels, not the threads :D

Bluth54

Good series, I'm up to either Ghost Story or Cold Days, I can't remember which. I read a ton of these books in a row so I kinda got burnt on them so I'll have to finish the rest of the series soon.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You can easily read the entire series in a month. Hell I could do it in a week if I was bed ridden or something.

Books are pretty great, and I'm excited for the next one.

Codex Alera was pretty legit as well. Wish Butcher could get back on his 2 books a year release schedule. That was amazing. Hopefully his new series is sweet

Bluth54

My friend described this series as "Nerd Crack."

I'm pretty hesitant to start because of this.

Yeah after reading the first few I read like 6 or 7 of them in a row.

Which eventually got really annoying, because the way Jim Butcher describes something from one book to the next always seems very, very similar, so when you're reading a description of a reoccurring character you feel like you've read the description 10 times already.

Other then that it's an enjoyable series that builds an interesting world/universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom