• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FIFA World Cup 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
who cares who "the press" thought played better. This isn't boxing. We don't go to a decision after 2 overtimes. Its irrelavent who played better. For all the great looks France got themselves, and all the great play, it ultimately got them one goal. Same as Italy. They went to penalty kicks. Italy won. End of story. They are champs. STFU.

Aurora

Manics said:
The Golden Ball means little, I'd rather take the World Championship and let Zizou keep his award.
Saying the Golden Ball means little is a huge stretch, but I agree that winning the World Cup more than makes up for losing out on the Golden Ball.

+Aliken+

afp85019751007190418_big.jpg

And the cup is now home.

woodchuck

jett said:
:lol Italy is not Greece, you should be kicked in the teeth for even suggesting such bullshit. Italy played more offensively than ever before in this World Cup(at least much more than with Trapattoni), as evidenced by their first match against Ghana, which was pretty much ALL OFFENSE. Judging their entire World Cup run because of the final reeks of ignorance and stupidity. And lest we forget France against Portugal, in where they played and even tighter and defensive second half than Italy did in the final. Guess France didn't deserve to be in the final, huh?

France was in the lead. They had to protect their yellow cards. They didn't want anyone suspended in the final. Italy and France were tied for most of the game, and Italy barely tried to produce scoring opportunities.

woodchuck

Ninja Scooter said:
who cares who "the press" thought played better. This isn't boxing. We don't go to a decision after 2 overtimes. Its irrelavent who played better. For all the great looks France got themselves, and all the great play, it ultimately got them one goal. Same as Italy. They went to penalty kicks. Italy won. End of story. They are champs. STFU.

Aurora doesn't want to get banned.

jett

D-Member
woodchuck said:
Excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses excuses.

I see.

Shunsui said:
Kids... Do not use drugs .. :yeah: :lol

:lol I never said he was a good role model. :p

Manics

Banned
jett said:
:lol Italy is not Greece, you should be kicked in the teeth for even suggesting such bullshit. Italy played more offensively than ever before in this World Cup(at least much more than with Trapattoni), as evidenced by their first match against Ghana, which was pretty much ALL OFFENSE. Judging their entire World Cup run because of the final reeks of ignorance and stupidity. And lest we forget France against Portugal, in where they played and even tighter and defensive second half than Italy did in the final. Guess France didn't deserve to be in the final, huh?

This is the hilarity of the French backers, they claim Italy played so poorly and were so defensive minded they didn't deserve to win, yet France made it all the way to the final by playing a boring defensive style. Hypocrisy at it's best.

Manics

Banned
Aurora said:
Saying the Golden Ball means little is a huge stretch, but I agree that winning the World Cup more than makes up for losing out on the Golden Ball.

Individual awards mean little especially to Italy who throughout the tournament had talked about "team spirit" and winning it for all Italians. They wanted the World Championship, nothing more.

Aurora

woodchuck said:
Aurora doesn't want to get banned.
:lol

It's not even like I'm grasping at straws here. I don't see how people can honestly tell me Italy played better overall.

But anyway, this argument is getting old now. Italy are the winners and that's what everyone will remember.

It's just such a shame that the tournament ended with Zidane getting sent off and the outcome of the match decided on penalties.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Battersea Power Station said:
Agreed. As I mentioned before, he's the one Italian guy that works hard and plays with love in his heart.
Indeed. He works his ass off and plays with such enthusiasm. I love it how when italy scores he grabs lippi's face and starts screaming stuff at him:lol . He seems like such a nice guy though:)

psycho_snake

jett said:
Agreed. Whoever thinks that Italy and Greece are the same are fools.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
jett said:
:lol Italy is not Greece, you should be kicked in the teeth for even suggesting such bullshit.
my, how sensitive! you're more than welcome to come down by wall street in NYC to give it a try, but i should warn you that you're probably not going to succeed. besides, i doubt your parents will let you leave your room to make such a trip.

point stands - Italy 2006 = Greece 2004.

woodchuck said:
France was in the lead. They had to protect their yellow cards. They didn't want anyone suspended in the final. Italy and France were tied for most of the game, and Italy barely tried to produce scoring opportunities.

and that strategy worked, because they won. Maybe they figured "Hey, we have the better goalkeeper and the better defense, lets take this into penalty kicks!". I dont' find that shameful. They are taking advantage of the rules.

Manics

Banned
scorcho said:
my, how sensitive! you're more than welcome to come down by wall street in NYC to give it a try, but i should warn you that you're probably not going to succeed. besides, i doubt your parents will let you leave your room to make such a trip.

If by point standing you mean they are both Champions of major tournaments then you are correct, point stands! :lol

jett

D-Member
psycho_snake said:
Indeed. He works his ass off and plays with such enthusiasm. I love it how when italy scores he grabs lippi's face and starts screaming stuff at him:lol . He seems like such a nice guy though:)

Gatusso is a modern day gladiator. **** awesome, he is. :rock

lachesis

So, is it now official that it's okay to say racial insults / personal attacks to win in sports, which is far worse than just mere trash-talking?

mmmkay.... (rolleyes)

Aurora

Ninja Scooter said:
and that strategy worked, because they won. Maybe they figured "Hey, we have the better goalkeeper and the better defense, lets take this into penalty kicks!". I dont' find that shameful. They are taking advantage of the rules.
Maybe not shameful but certainly disappointing. Italy were perfectly capable of scoring a second goal, as demonstrated in their first half performance - so the fact that they chose to sit out a draw was pretty disheartening.

coldvein

Banned
Wowza!

Reading the last couple pages of this thread, Aurora's posts in particular, has been quite the humorous experience.

All crybabies and sore losers make a stink about how their team "deserved" to win. The game is over, that argument is superfluous at this point, this thread will be more pleasant for everybody if you just drop it. What the analysts and media and beaten team's coach are saying at this point doesn't matter.

So your team played better for alot of the match last night. So what? Do you watch any sports at all? Playing better doesn't equate to victory. It doesn't equate to deserved victory. Individual games in all sports can sway one way or another just based on a couple of plays, a couple of seconds. Teams can play like shit the majority of a game and then play well for just a couple of minutes at the right time and come out with a win. Maybe not glorious or pretty, but a win is a win. For the team that played well most of the match, this is heartbreaking, but by no means were they ripped off or cheated.

It's so pathetic that you have to sit here and try to make this game out to be some big disappointing tragedy. I guarantee you that no italian fans are disappointed right now. Their team is unquestionable world champion. If you don't believe me, look at the photographs. I'm pretty sure that's them dancing around with confetti and flags and a golden trophy.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
scorcho said:

wow..taking internet threats seriously now..are you sure you are not the one still living under his parent's rule?

Listen everyone, can't we just have a final word on all this and just stop the stupid argument going on since way too long already ?
In my case, I just have to say Bravo to Italia for winning this final match. Sincerely. They won because they were maybe not better than the French team in the end (the teams were essentially on par), but they were certainly more lucky. And as for the French team, they may have lost the final, but I don't think anybody can deny the fact they are today an even greater team than they were before this World Cup. In any case, personally, I must say that I respect them much, much more than before the beginning of the tournament.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
coldvein said:
Wowza!

Reading the last couple pages of this thread, Aurora's posts in particular, has been quite the humorous experience.

All crybabies and sore losers make a stink about how their team "deserved" to win. The game is over, that argument is superfluous at this point, this thread will be more pleasant for everybody if you just drop it. What the analysts and media and beaten team's coach are saying at this point doesn't matter.

So your team played better for alot of the match last night. So what? Do you watch any sports at all? Playing better doesn't equate to victory. It doesn't equate to deserved victory. Individual games in all sports can sway one way or another just based on a couple of plays, a couple of seconds. Teams can play like shit the majority of a game and then play well for just a couple of minutes at the right time and come out with a win. Maybe not glorious or pretty, but a win is a win. For the team that played well most of the match, this is heartbreaking, but by no means were they ripped off or cheated.

It's so pathetic that you have to sit here and try to make this game out to be some big disappointing tragedy. I guarantee you that no italian fans are disappointed right now. Their team is unquestionable world champion. If you don't believe me, look at the photographs. I'm pretty sure that's them dancing around with confetti and flags and a golden trophy.
and that is the bottom line! Very well said.

woodchuck

Ninja Scooter said:

It's not joga bonito. :lol

I can understand that strategy in overtime by not risking anything, but the entire second half? Come on.

scorcho

Schattenjagger said:
wow..taking internet threats seriously now..are you sure you are not the one still living under his parent's rule?
taking it seriously or pointing out the lunacy of the trolling/baiting in this thread? btw, who are you?

Aurora said:
Maybe not shameful but certainly disappointing. Italy were perfectly capable of scoring a second goal, as demonstrated in their first half performance - so the fact that they chose to sit out a draw was pretty disheartening.

but they won so its irrelavent. You want to talk about what a team "coulda/shoulda/woulda" done you talk about the team that LOST. Like "Maybe if Zidane didn't go E.Honda on Mazerrati..."

psycho_snake

Aurora said:
For ****s sake get the idea that italy played for penalties out of your head. Italy have never been good at penalties. Since 1982 they've only been knocked out by an extra time goal or penalty shoot-outs. Why the hell would they play for something they are so bad at? France have very capable penalty takes. Italy were too tired to play and the french had more enrgy. There is nothing dishearting about what they did.

sharukins

Banned
Zinedine Zidane's agent says the France captain headbutted Marco Materazzi in Sunday's World Cup final because the Italian made a "very serious" comment.
Zidane appeared to react to something that was said and was dismissed for his violent charge into his opponent.

"He told me Materazzi said something very serious to him but he wouldn't tell me what," agent Alain Migliaccio told BBC Five Live Sport.
Sources in France say it is believed Materazzi insulted Zidane's mother.

Materazzi himself has not spoken publicly about the incident except to deny a claim by Paris-based anti-racism group SOS Racism, made on Monday, that he had called Zidane "a dirty terrorist".

"It is absolutely not true, I did not call him a terrorist. I'm ignorant. I don't even know what the word means," the Italian news agency Ansa quoted Materazzi as saying after the Italian team returned to Rome.

"The whole world saw what happened on live TV," he added.

Migliaccio, who spoke to Zidane early on Monday morning, added that Zidane did not elaborate on what Materazzi said.

"I don't know. Zinedine didn't want to talk about it but it will all come out in the next week," he said.

"He is a man who normally lets things wash over him but on Sunday night something exploded inside him.

"He was very disappointed and sad. He didn't want it to end this way."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/france/5164094.stm

Manics

Banned
Aurora said:

Aurora, one game does not a tournament make. Italy played attractive football throughout the majority of the tournament. If you claim the play in the final match was disappointing, surely you must admit that their semi-final win was a thing of beauty. Italy did what they had to do. They didn't want to go to penalties with Germany, and scored at the crucial moment of that game. Against France without Zidane, they were more then happy to take it to kicks. It's a sound strategy. To say they didn't deserve to win the tournament based on one game is ridiculous -- by that reasoning France didn't deserve to win either since they started the tournament so poorly.

Please, accept the result, it's very embarrasing what you're doing now.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
bionic77 said:
What is the name of Italy's captain? That guy bailed out Italy's defense all tournament. Tremendous athlete and player.

CANNAVARO... CANNAVARO... CANNAVARO

world cup's best player....Fifa suks:D

psycho_snake

scorcho said:
taking it seriously or pointing out the lunacy of the trolling/baiting in this thread? btw, who are you?
You said that Italy are like greece. thats basiclaly the same as saying Italy are shit. if anyones trolling its you. Jett was 100% right. How the hell can you call italy greece. If you really believe that theyn you dont know much about football.

scorcho

psycho_snake said:
You said that Italy are like greece. thats basiclaly the same as saying Italy are shit. if anyones trolling its you. Jett was 100% right. How the hell can you call italy greece. If you really believe that theyn you dont know much about football.
i didn't make a direct comparison before, and actually elaborated more than the knee-jerk responses illustrate, but now i will since i've seemed to touch a sensitive nerve in some.

GREECE 2004 = ITALY 2006.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
scorcho said:
i didn't make a direct comparison before, and actually elaborated more than the knee-jerk responses illustrate, but now i will since i've seemed to touch a sensitive nerve in some.

How can you possibly think you have touched any nerves here? Italy has won the world cup! Italy wins! Nothing else matters. France loses!

The only people that seem to have had their nerves touches are the sore loser french fans.

scorcho

psycho_snake said:
No their isnt. Its part of the game so teams should be used to it. Its not like Italy are cheating.
who the **** has accused italy of cheating in the final game? they played a fantastic match, but obviously had nothing left in the tank after the marathon against Germany and their offensive pace in the first half. and judging by the Italian players' PKs, they exuded a confidence that didn't make them seem worried about a situation that 'they are so bad at', as opposed to England, who also have a horrific history with shoot outs and showed it.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
scorcho said:

Yes for sure ....the same :lol :lol

Italy wins 4 world cup, 1 european cup, Italian's club wins many many many European cup.......for sure is the same.

Please :lol :lol

psycho_snake

scorcho said:
who the **** has accused italy of cheating in the final game? they played a fantastic match, but obviously had nothing left in the tank after the marathon against Germany and their offensive pace in the first half. and judging by the Italian players' PKs, they exuded a confidence that didn't make them seem worried about a situation that 'they are so bad at', as opposed to England, who also have a horrific history with shoot outs and showed it.
You might have misunderstood me. I agreed with what you said before. I never accused anyone of cheating. My comment wasnt meant to be sarcastic. Teams should get used to penalties, its part of the game. If a team is unhappy about it, then tough.

jett said:

Italy is not Greece but they play the same way. Italy played offensively in Worldcup? :lol Maybe in one game -two games tops. But we all know when they find a good opponent all they do is: Defend, defend, defend, score goal in sudden counter-attack or fixed position, defend defend, defend, and repeat. That's crap football and you know it.

LJ11

psycho_snake said:

No reason to compare the Greeks to shit. They aren't very good at soccer but they had their one shining moment....can't we just let it be.

Cloudy

Banned
How can you award the world cup on PKs? Might as well play rock-paper-scissors after OT. I mean, the goalies have almost no chance...

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
fortified_concept said:
Italy is not Greece but they play the same way. Italy played offensively in Worldcup? :lol Maybe in one game -two games tops. But we all know when they find a good opponent all they do is: Defend, defend, defend, score goal in sudden counter-attack or fixed position, defend defend, defend, and repeat. That's crap football and you know it.
How many goals have done France?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom