• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (Soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the verdict comes in today on the match-fixing scandal. I'm thinking the teams involved will probably get a slap on the wrist. But if Juventus does get dealt and gets relegated to Serie C, then damn! :lol

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Seems like Juve are going down, I still havent read anything concrete on what the scale of the evidence is against the others, a few sites have suggested they might get off with fines.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
dsc024054gh3ks3uk.jpg
That looks really nice. I love it:D

MrSardonic said:
Arsenal vs Chelsea...it's going to be a great season.

This thread should be stickied at the top
Yeah...just forget about Man Utd and Liverpool, they only came 2nd and 3rd last season...

hadareud

The Translator
looks like the verdict is now pushed back to Friday or Saturday. I think after the world cup title they started to change their mind and now they're pushing the decision out further and further.

Where is Mamasmurf by the way? No football thread is complete without him analysing. Also, no fellow gooners here yet? What is going on.

psycho_snake

hadareud said:
looks like the verdict is now pushed back to Friday or Saturday. I think after the world cup title they started to change their mind and now their pushing the decision out further and further.

Where is Mamasmurf by the way? No football thread is complete without him analyzing. Also, no fellow gooners here yet? What is going on.
Its probably so the Italian fans can celebrate winning the world cup. Its not fair for Italian fans to win the world cup and then be told a bay later that their supported club is getting relegated. The posecutors could also be changing their initial plans. My dad was saying that they were considering an amnesty. He said that its difficult to relegate world cup winners and its going to damage Italian football.

Mama smurf hasnt been around for ages, he never posted during the world cup. We need his novel like analysis and I also need to take the piss out of him because Blackburn lost Caig Bellamy:lol

Shinobi is somewhere here, he posted during the world cup so he'll soon see this thread.

Has anyone heard from Solid? It was fun taking the piss out of him and Chelsea.

Falch

Outdoor Miner said:
So Salcido ended up with PSV? Awesome. He played great throughout Mexico's WC campaign, so grats on that signing.

Other Mexican NT players that've gone abroad include Osorio and Pardo who both signed with VfB Stuttgart (German Bundesliga).

hehe thx. I'm glad we signed him. Plus, he's a very versatile player, capable of playing leftback, centreback or rightback, in addition to defensive midfielder. We shouldn't have any trouble finding a suitable place on the pitch for him. :)

In other news, Farfan has decided to stay with PSV this season:

Jefferson Farfán stays with PSV

105314_296_1152622765405-Farfan195.jpg

11 July 2006 16:45

Jefferson Farfán has told the PSV technical staff this morning that he will stay with PSV, although he had attracted interest from several foreign clubs. The Peruvian recently signed a contract extension; his contract will not expire until the summer of 2010.

Farfán has developed into a PSV key player during the past two seasons. His fine performances did not go unnoticed and he was linked with several foreign clubs. Yet the 21-year-old striker has decided to ply his trade with PSV next season as well. Farfán was the leading PSV top scorer last season: he scored 21 goals in the domestic league, two goals in the UEFA Champions League and three in the Dutch Cup tournament.

Woohoo! Fantastic news. :) Portsmouth owned, apparently you can't just buy you're way to the top. :lol Farfan knows Portsmouth isn't the way to go career-wise.

What a useless thread. You seem to have forgotten the worlds most important international club tournament*. Copa Libertadores

Or have you already forgotten who won the 2005 FIFA Club World Championship?

*The tournament which produces the best team = most important tournament

Anyway, although Libertadores usually ends in June, it was put on hold for the World CUp.

Next games:
2nd round of Quarter Finals

18.07.06 - ASUNCIÓN
Libertad - River Plate

19.07.06 - PORTO ALEGRE
INTERNACIONAL - LDU

19.07.06 - SAO PAULO
SAO PAULO - ESTUDIANTES

20.07.06 - BUENOS AIRES
VÉLEZ - CHIVAS

Falch

psycho_snake said:
It was great. You could only see henry ever doing something like that though:lol

I've got loads more video's. This is my favourite one. Its the funniest thing Ive ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dChnb-woNU&search=soccer%20am

Oh man that one's hilarious, looks like he turns into a flesh-eating zombie. :lol

A different kind of referee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NQQMqMaYvg&search=gay%20ref

Or this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvwiR_-1oCw&mode=related&search=football%20joke

Blablurn

It seems like hargreaves is going to manchester. as an exchange ruud van nistelrooy is coming to Bayern. Sounds good!
Together with Makaay and Podolski it could be one of the best offeneses in Europe!

Ryck

Blablurn said:
It seems like hargreaves is going to manchester. as an exchange ruud van nistelrooy is coming to Bayern. Sounds good!
Together with Makaay and Podolski it could be one of the best offeneses in Europe!
Where did you read this....?? Link? If so WOO HOO!

Beowvlf

Banned
Podolski is going to be so hot at Bayern, the kid is damn brilliance. Hope he eventually comes to the EPL.

And to the Reds of course! I just noticed Adidas snagged away licensing from Reebok this year too. Bellamy + Fowler + Cisse is going to be solid up front this year, and Stevie G. will once again own the league as the best damn player in the EPL. I've no idea how long until Cisse is back from his injury though. Getting rid of Morientes was a smart move as well, he was some serious dead weight.

We're coming off our best season in years, and I hope we can snag another top 3 finish (but man Arsenal is going to be good this year; great club). I want a Champions League win as well, but I don't want to get greedy, so I'll settle for a UEFA Cup win. FA is old hat. :D

A great addition to this thread would be a detailed explanation of the differences between the National League, Champions League, FA and UEFA Cup competitions. Qualification rules can be tricky.

Ryck

Heian-kyo said:
Podolski is going to be so hot at Bayern, the kid is damn brilliance. Hope he eventually comes to the EPL.

And to the Reds of course! I just noticed Adidas snagged away licensing from Reebok this year too. Bellamy + Fowler + Cisse is going to be solid up front this year, and Stevie G. will once again own the league as the best damn player in the EPL. I've no idea how long until Cisse is back from his injury though. Getting rid of Morientes was a smart move as well, he was some serious dead weight.

We're coming off our best season in years, and I hope we can snag another top 3 finish (but man Arsenal is going to be good this year; great club). I want a Champions League win as well, but I don't want to get greedy, so I'll settle for a UEFA Cup win. FA is old hat. :D

A great addition to this thread would be a detailed explanation of the differences between the National League, Champions League, FA and UEFA Cup competitions. Qualification rules can be tricky.
Well Liverpool won't be in the Uefa cup because you can't qualify for both CL and Uefa cup...

Top 2 teams in the league automatically in the group phase
3 and 4 are in CL qualification ( meaning they win a few qual mnatches and they are in)
and 5, 6 and 7 (if 7 qualifies via cup competition) are in the uefa cup

hadareud

The Translator
Heian-kyo said:

I have added links for the Premiership and the Bundesliga in the 1st post - I will try and do the same for all leagues. Thanks for the suggestion.

edit: I wonder how many people will actually read the first post and if it is really worth updating.

psycho_snake

Ryck said:
Where did you read this....?? Link? If so WOO HOO!
How is that good news? Getting Hargreaves is excellent, but losing ruud is very bad. i dont care what people say about him, as long as he is played in nearly every match he can get 30+ goals a season, which is incredible. We cant afford losing him.

Beowvlf

Banned
Ryck said:
Well Liverpool won't be in the Uefa cup because you can't qualify for both CL and Uefa cup...

Top 2 teams in the league automatically in the group phase
3 and 4 are in CL qualification ( meaning they win a few qual mnatches and they are in)
and 5, 6 and 7 (if 7 qualifies via cup competition) are in the uefa cup
I'm most likely incorrect then, but I thought a loss in the CL qualies pushed you down into the UEFA Cup comp?

Ryck

psycho_snake said:
How is that good news? Getting Hargreaves is excellent, but losing ruud is very bad. i dont care what people say about him, as long as he is played in nearly every match he can get 30+ goals a season, which is incredible. We cant afford losing him.
Saha will get 30 goals next season if he can stay healthy. Plus Rooney and Saha are a better fit imo you will see Wayne get more goals as a result of Saha not just sitting in front of goal wishing Beckham was still crossing the ball to him.

Plus Rudd's what 29, 30 how much does he have left? might as well get a player like Hargreaves while we can, Rudd's asking price will only drop from here on out. Hopefully with this Alan will be moved back to foward where he is above average and will get goals. On top of the fact that Rossi is ready to start and ready to shine ( or atleast get some experience ) he will be a great foward in the years to come.

Heian-kyo said:
I'm most likely incorrect then, but I thought a loss in the CL qualies pushed you down into the UEFA Cup comp?

No you have to qualify for Uefa cup ( look at my earlier post) if you lose in CL you go home. ( obviously past the group stage)

Beowvlf

Banned
Ryck said:
No you have to qualify for Uefa cup ( look at my earlier post) if you lose in CL you go home. ( obviously past the group stage)
Ah, thanks. I knew about UEFA qualifying, but I thought there was some other relationship between it and the CL. Thanks for clearing that up.

CL win it is!

Beowvlf

Banned
Osorio said:
What happened with the whole Cisse going to Marseille because Benitez didn't want him thing?
Damn it! I totally forgot about the loan. I think it was finally announced a couple weeks into the WC, but yeah, you're right, Cisse is with Marseille this season. He'll be back next though, he's with LFC til '09 I think.

jamesinclair said:
What a useless thread. You seem to have forgotten the worlds most important international club tournament*. Copa Libertadores

Or have you already forgotten who won the 2005 FIFA Club World Championship?

*The tournament which produces the best team = most important tournament

Anyway, although Libertadores usually ends in June, it was put on hold for the World CUp.

Next games:
2nd round of Quarter Finals

18.07.06 - ASUNCIÓN
Libertad - River Plate

19.07.06 - PORTO ALEGRE
INTERNACIONAL - LDU

19.07.06 - SAO PAULO
SAO PAULO - ESTUDIANTES

20.07.06 - BUENOS AIRES
VÉLEZ - CHIVAS

I was going to post this info earlier, but I didn't think anyone would care. It looks like I was right. At least I know someone else will be following this! It's gonna suck if the only discussion we get in here will be regarding the EPL. :)

I hope there's some way to watch this online (it's on Directv). That Libertad - River Plate matchup looks great. I'm of course rooting for Chivas. They could be the first mexican club to win the Copa since, well, ever! :D

Outdoor Miner said:
I was going to post this info earlier, but I didn't think anyone would care. It looks like I was right. At least I know someone else will be following this! It's gonna suck if the only discussion we get in here will be regarding the EPL. :)

I hope there's some way to watch this online (it's on Directv). That Libertad - River Plate matchup looks great. I'm of course rooting for Chivas. They could be the first mexican club to win the Copa since, well, ever! :D

I actually went to a semi final game last year, Atletico Paranaense - Chivas

Im actually going to be travelling for the next round of games (gone for a week) and then the week after Ill try and go to my uncles house to watch. Im at my moms house and she only has over-the-air channels, but my uncle has Comcast with Fox Sports in Spanish which carries the games.

Ill be in Brasil for the final, and have a channel their that airs the cup.

Personally, I find it more exciting than the European games.

psycho_snake

Ryck said:
Saha will get 30 goals next season if he can stay healthy. Plus Rooney and Saha are a better fit imo you will see Wayne get more goals as a result of Saha not just sitting in front of goal wishing Beckham was still crossing the ball to him.

Plus Rudd's what 29, 30 how much does he have left? might as well get a player like Hargreaves while we can, Rudd's asking price will only drop from here on out. Hopefully with this Alan will be moved back to foward where he is above average and will get goals. On top of the fact that Rossi is ready to start and ready to shine ( or atleast get some experience ) he will be a great foward in the years to come.
doubt saha could ever get 30 goals a season. he could probably get 20 but 30 is a bit too much. Looking at it like that I can see the advantages of Ruud going. I actually forgot about Alan Smith. Ive always felt that he's a striker and certainly not a midfield, its a waste putting him in midfield. He's proved that he's a good striker.

RE: Champions League / UEFA Cup stuff:

Wikipedia said:
The tournament consists of several stages and begins with three preliminary knockout qualifying rounds. Different teams start in different rounds, according to their position in domestic league and the UEFA coefficients of their league, while the sixteen top ranked teams spread across the biggest domestic leagues are directly qualified.

In each subsequent preliminary round, participating teams are paired, with aggregate winners proceeding into the next round. Qualifying rounds span from mid-July to late August. The losers of the third qualifying round are transferred to the UEFA Cup, while the sixteen winners of the final qualifying round are joined by the sixteen teams who have qualified directly, to participate in the group stage.

They are drawn into eight groups of four teams, each team playing every other team in the group twice (home and away). The group stage is played between mid-September and early December. The teams finishing third in their groups are transferred to the UEFA Cup, while the top two teams from every group qualify for the next round. Here the sixteen remaining teams take part in the knock-out stages, which starts in late February and end with the final match in May.

All qualifying round and knock-out ties are two-legged, with each team hosting one match. The team which scores the greater aggregate number of goals qualifies for the next round. The away goals rule applies. Extra time and penalty kicks are used to determine the winner, if necessary. An exception is the final, which is a single match played at a predetermined venue.

The draws are currently structured to ensure that clubs representing the same national association cannot play each other until the quarter-finals. In addition, seeding of the teams according to their UEFA coefficients is used. The competition system has been undergoing changes since the 1991/92 season (see history). The current system was adopted in 2003.

hadareud

The Translator
BBC said:
Saviola setting sights on Arsenal
Argentina international Javier Saviola is weighing up a potential move from Barcelona to Arsenal.

The 24-year-old striker's agent Alfredo Cabrera Brizuela said: "He will make his decision based on football and that points to the Gunners.

"He will have no problem playing in England because he is world-class and will be successful in any country.

"This week is very important because he wants to have a holiday knowing he has his future sorted out."

Saviola, who has 34 international caps and has scored 10 goals, made three appearances at the recent World Cup.

The 1999 South American Footballer of the Year has made more than 100 appearances for Barcelona but has struggled to make an impression at the Nou Camp since moving from River Plate in 2001.

He spent the 2004/05 season on loan at Monaco before returning to Spain last term when he helped Sevilla to Uefa Cup success.

Saviola's Barcelona contract is set to expire in 2007 and the European champions are keen to recoup some of the reported £15m they spent on the striker.

BBC Article

Very good player, but I'm not sure we need another striker. Don't get me wrong, I will not complain if were to come - but I'd rather have a new center back or 2, especially with Senderos being out for a few months.

Midfielders and Strikers aren't really our problem.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Apparently the Italian clubs will be let off easy because Italy won the WC. No relegation for A.C. Milan, Lazio and Fiorentina while Juventus goes to Serie B. Italy is such a rotten country.

psycho_snake

Ronaldo has said that he has no reason to leave United after man Utd said they do not want to sell him, but that hasnt closed the door on any transfer. he says that there are other options and that the situation will be discussed.

http://www.football365.com/teams/manchester_united/story_188564.shtml

"There are possibilities for me to continue at Manchester United but there are other possibilities as well," he said.

"Everything is open, if I have to leave Manchester United I don't want to leave on bad terms because it is a club that has contributed to my evolution as a human being and as a professional.

"I have no reason to leave the club, they have always supported me, they always gave me guarantees of being able to evolve as a player," he added.

Ryck

psycho_snake said:
doubt saha could ever get 30 goals a season. he could probably get 20 but 30 is a bit too much. Looking at it like that I can see the advantages of Ruud going. I actually forgot about Alan Smith. Ive always felt that he's a striker and certainly not a midfield, its a waste putting him in midfield. He's proved that he's a good striker.
Yeah I meant overall 30, not 30 league goals hehe sould have been more clear.

Keep in mind he had 15 in all competitions last year in very limited play.

Alucard

Banned
I just don't see Saha as a premier striker in the EPL. Maybe with some more playing time he can prove me wrong. I've never really been a fan of his though.

Arsenal definitely doesn't need any more strikers. Henry and Van Persie are just fine, and Adebayor will hopefully show off some skills this year as well. Maybe even Walcott?...

Ryck

Here are some pics of the actual Man U kit with new logo
(the other one was official but the logo was photoshopped onto it)
Looks a lot nicer imo, the logo was way too big on the Photoshopped one

Nike_Manchester_United_Home_Jersey.jpg

Nike_Manchester_United_Home_Jersey_.jpg

Shinobi

hadareud said:
Where are brooklyngooner and Shinobi btw?

I only just discovered this thread. :lol

DarienA said:

:lol :lol :lol It never gets old...

Wax Free Vanilla said:

:lol The "WTF?!" look he has is just priceless.

psycho_snake said:
Hamann joins Bolton, then quits them to go to Manchester City

http://www.football365.com/news/story_188511.shtml

:lol WTS...

Arsenal's been consistently linked to several players over the last couple weeks. The most surprising one (at least to me) is Italy/Juventus Gianluigi Buffon, with Arsenal expected to offer 10 to 12 million pounds. I suppose it makes sense since goalkeeping is the one position where virtually every top club in Europe is taken care of, and with Jens Lehman being 37 years old Arsenal would certainly be wise to look past the upcoming season. That said, AC Milan would be Buffon's preferred destination, if they're able to avoid relegation.

Another target for Arsenal is West Brom center back Curtis Davies, who's also coveted by Tottenham and Wigan. He's 21 years old and is tipped by many to be a future England starter. Arsenal's said to be offering 8 million pounds. The Mirror says that a loan out of Theo Walcott might also be provided to secure the deal. Don't know how reliable they are, but hey, at this time of year you're gonna read everything. :lol

Another possible center back move is Lilian Thuram, who as everyone knows was absolutely brilliant for France in the World Cup. He's also being targetted by Barca and (apparantely) Spurs.

Ghana captain and midfielder Stephen Appiah is said to be another Arsenal target. He was quoted as saying that there's a 50% chance of him going to the Gunners.

As for the Fabregas situation, not only has Wenger said he's not for sale on the team website (a statement apparantely encouraged by Cesc himself in order to diffuse the rumours once and for all), there's talk that a new contract is being worked on between himself and the club.

hadareud

The Translator
excellent, Shinobi found us.

I'd like to see Walcott in an Arsenal shirt this season (mostly because I'm really curious), then again - he'll get to play more at West Brom. On the other hand he already got to play in the Championship last year. I don't think I'm making sense, don't mind me.

Anyway, Davies could be a good signing (omg an English player, but Arsenal doesn't want English players), and as I mentioned above - a central defender or 2 would definetely not hurt.

psycho_snake

I hate it how people say that Arsenal need to buy English players. Arsenal have been a very successful club and their team has been built around foreign players. I understand that clubs should try and produce better players for the national team, but the club should look at their best interests and Arsenal have been doing that by buying good foreign players for cheap instead of spending bucketloads on average English players. Arsenal managed to buy rosicky for £7 million whilst everton had to pay £8.5 million for Andy Johnson. Not only did arsenal buy someone cheaper but they bought someone far better.

Anyway Manchester United need to fix up a few problems. We've not bought anyone, but thats probably because we are waiting to see what happens in Italy. Either way i still want to see United buy Hargreaves. He proved himself at the world cup and emerged as our best player. He's young and he's exactly what we need. We've been looking for a replacement to keano and hargreaves looks like the best man who could do it. Im sure we could get him for £10 million or so. Id rather see hargreaves than carrick at United.

If the teams inj Italy do get relegated, i really want United to buy pirlo. he was outstanding in the world cup and he is exactly what we need. He's a good midfielder who likes to push up. he also tracks back and does his defensive duties. Pirlo is also amazing at set pieces and thats something we've been poor at since Beckham left.

We've also got to make sure that our star players do leave. Its uncertain whats happenign with ronalso. he said that there isnt problem with staying at united but he said there are other options. there are also rumourts in todays papers that he wants to leave because he fears for his life. I'd like Ronaldo to stay. All of England might hate him and I dont have much respect for him either, but he is a very talented player and we need someone like him if we want to win something other than the carling cup. If we lose him, its a big blow unless we can buy Ribery. Ribery will be a good enough replacement, but I dont reallys ee anyone else who could replace Ronaldo.

We dont know whats happening with ruud either. If he does stay, its good because we will have a player capable of scoring a lot of goals, but if he does go, its not that big a blow. We have rooney and if saha can stay fit we wont have a problem. Saha did very well with limited appearances last season. He is a very capable player and he can score a lot of goals. We also have alan smith once he's fit. I love Smith but I hated seeing him play in midfield because he cant do it. Smith is a striker. If Ruud goes it will give him the chance to play more often. We also have Rossi who is a massive talent. If ruud goes he will also have more chances to play, which will enable him to really progress. I like the sound of having Rooney, Saha, Smith and Rossi to choose from. They are all capable of scoring goals and they all work hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom