• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (Soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud

a dutch newspaper is reporting that ruud van nistelrooy will go to real madrid.

it could be a 3 yr contract.

Kola

zidane smacking fidel
510a6f8a818744f1f93debd03ade5bbc.gif

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Fergie has admitted that Ruud Van Nistelrooy wants to leave.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=403207&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=2&title=Fergie+admits+Ruud+wants+out

"There may be some interest from Real Madrid and Bayern Munich," confirmed Ferguson.

"I am waiting for (chief executive) David Gill to fill me in but Ruud has asked to leave."

Vlencia have declared their interest in Ronaldo. I dont see a move to valencia happeinign though. Ronaldo will only move to one of the spanish giants and whilst valencia are a good team they cant challenge for the title.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=403157&CPID=23&clid=191&lid=2&title=Flores+relights+the+Ronaldo+fire

There is some good news for us United fans though. We are closing in on Kuzczak.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=403155&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=2&title=United+close+on+Kuszczak

Its a good buy. Apart from that awful blunder where he let in a goal from the other goalie, Kuzczak has been a very good goalie. He has had some amazing performances like the game against Liverpool where he made some impossible saves. He's young and he looks really promising so Im happy about the signing. We've got another good goalie for a rumoured £2 million, its a good buy.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Outdoor Miner said:
The US is going to make a push for Klinsmann.

Article is a week old, they hadn't known at the time that Klinsmann turned down the German fed. I really don't think it'll happen, but man it sure would be an upgrade over Arena.
well Arena is now out, and the US is obviously going to push hard for Klinsmann, who likely turned down the Germany job only because of his family has settled in California. unless Klinsmann is seriously depressed by the level of talent available to him, i can't see him not taking the job.

psycho_snake

We dont have a 2nd goalie. Howard is on loan to everton and ben foster is on loan to Watford. If van Der`Sar got injured we wouldnt have anyone else, but jdging by the joga bonito videos we could pout rooney in goal.

Van Der Sar is old and we dont know how long he will be able to play for, so Fergie probably wants to bring in somebody that can learn off Van Der Sar. Howard isntr good enough and Ben Foster is a possable furture goalie, but he probably just wants to make sure that we have our goalie issues covered for the next few years. he's building a team for the long term future. Sure we have other priorities, but in the next week or so Im sure we will see some action from us in the transfer market for players we really need.

Howard was good enough for at least one season. Seems since the whole Porto thing he fell right down, Carroll got in.

Foster ain't on loan yet is he? But I guess he'll be shipped out again.

VDS looks in top condition still, I've presumed this will be his last season but he looks good enough to go probably 2-3 more.

psycho_snake

Howard had an incredible first season, but since then he's never been as good. His blunder against porto really damaged his confidence. Its a shame because he looked like he could have ended our goalkeeping problems.

Foster got loaned out to watford again. Its the best thing we can do with him. Its no good just keeping him on the bench becaue he needs the match practice and he doesnt look like he's ready for top level premiership football yet.

VDS does look like he could play for quite a while longer. He had a good first season at United and he was impressive at the world cup. A while ago he said he wants to play longer than what he signed for. This is the last year of his contract, but depending on Kuzczaks development and how VDS feels, he could stay on or he could go.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
You don't want to be left in a position where Van der Sar retires and you have to then buy a goalkeeper, regardless of whether the right player is available. If someone good and young is available now, snap him up. United have had enough problems with goalkeepers since Schmeichel left and at 35 Van Der Sar could be off anytime...or he could play for 4 more years. I would suggest buying another keeper suggests Ferguson knows he's planning to retire sooner rather than later.

We're supposed to have the match fixing verdict by now, damn Italians, always late...

psycho_snake

Please let AC Mialn be relegated. They have the players that we need.

Ive been thinking if Fergie has his eye on trezeguet. Van Nistelrooys departure leaves room for another striker, but I dont think fergie will buy another striker. He's probably satisfied with what he has and rightly so. Rooney, Saha, Smith and Rossi are good enough.

Mama Smurf

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=403212&CPID=8&clid=7&lid=2&title=Villa+players+speak+out

Villa's players have issued a statement questioning the clubs ambitions. When you read it it's pretty startling stuff, what sort of Premiership club can't afford to water their pitch or have a masseur?

For the players to speak out though...that's pretty intense. I think they're right to, there's no more depressing club in the Premiership. Where the hell are their funds? They have a huge fanbase, an average attendance of 35,000...it's just a terribly run club it seems to me.

Meier

CHICAGO (Ticker) - Bruce Arena's eight-year tenure as coach of the United States national team is coming to an end.

U.S. Soccer announced Friday that Arena's contract will not be renewed when it expires at the end of the year.

It is believed that U.S. Soccer will attempt to hire Jurgen Klinsmann, who led his homeland to a semifinal showing at the World Cup. Klinsmann, who resigned from the German post on Wednesday, is married to an American and lives in Southern California.

"I'm sure I will talk to Jurgen," Gulati said. "Whether we'll talk seriously about this, we'll see."

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AvXZN2ugbF1Aj3vTZc0PPSY5nYcB?slug=usaarena&prov=st&type=lgns

Woo!

psycho: Milan probably won't get relegated which means their players might not leave, even if they don't play in the champions league for 1 season. Also the prospect of playing in a league without their major rival probably means they'll win it.

Mama Smurf

They are expected to get a points reduction though. They were 12 points ahead of Inter last year, so if it's around that amount it should be pretty interesting.

EDIT: If Juve are relegated, do they lose their title(s)? And if Milan aren't relegated but are found guilty to some degree, do they get the title instead? Or does Inter? Or does no one?

Mama Smurf

So, Juve, Lazio and Fiorentina relegated, Juve lose their last two titles (I don't know what happens to them). Juve start on -30 points, Fiorentina -12 and Lazio -7. AC stay in Serie A, but start on -15 and miss out on the CL.

Very, very hard for Juve to come back from that in a season.

Manics

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
So, Juve, Lazio and Fiorentina relegated, Juve lose their last two titles (I don't know what happens to them). Juve start on -30 points, Fiorentina -12 and Lazio -7. AC stay in Serie A, but start on -15 and miss out on the CL.

-30 points! ****. What a blow. :(

Well could've been worse, I mean they were talking C2 at the start but it's still pretty damn bad. No chance of Juve getting promoted in their first season, not with -30 and Fiorentina and Lazio there to make sure they don't have a free ride. Milan somehow get away with it, -15 in a league where their biggest rival is Inter, they could win the bloody thing, also it seems they get 1 of the previous titles since they lose 44 points from last season but no mention of 2004/2005. Inter are laughing, probably got last years' title and should win this years', 15 points on Milan is 5 wins free but who knows.

All have to appeal by the 25th but I don't see much changing. Also no amnesty it seems, it was just the media stirring again.

As a Juve fan, yeah...ugh... but the WC victory has kinda galvanised everything a bit.

Mama Smurf

I assume this means Inter and Roma in the Champions League, with Chievo and Palermo qualifying.

Well, this certainly helped Blackburn's UEFA Cup prospects anyway.

psycho_snake

Its going to be a weak Italian force in the CL this year. Inter are hopeless, Roma could do ok whilst Chievo and palermo wont make an impact.

Ryck

Mama Smurf said:

Link?

[edit ] Nevermind....

{edit} HOLY SHIT

ucdawg12

Mama Smurf said:
http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=403212&CPID=8&clid=7&lid=2&title=Villa+players+speak+out

Villa's players have issued a statement questioning the clubs ambitions. When you read it it's pretty startling stuff, what sort of Premiership club can't afford to water their pitch or have a masseur?

For the players to speak out though...that's pretty intense. I think they're right to, there's no more depressing club in the Premiership. Where the hell are their funds? They have a huge fanbase, an average attendance of 35,000...it's just a terribly run club it seems to me.

Great news for us Villa fans. It's great to see the players take a stand like this. I hope this is the end for Ellis

Mama Smurf

It's just a shame so many of Juve's players are so damn old. If they're cheap enough that won't matter much, but Premiership teams like youth...except Bolton and Chelsea.

Buffon is surely the best prize available, Trezeguet has some good years left...I really hope we see some good talent come to the Premiership.

Manics

Banned
All Juventus has to do is appeal, bribe the judge and get the point penalty reduced to about 15. Then they can get back into Serie A in one season. :)

Osorio

Finally Bolton gets a transfer deal done by signing Abdoulaye Meite for 4 years. I believe it was a £1.5million deal.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Manics said:
All Juventus has to do is appeal, bribe the judge and get the point penalty reduced to about 15. Then they can get back into Serie A in one season. :)
yep, that's the Italian way of doing things.

On a more serious note - well done by the courts! I like how Juventus was relegated to Serie B, like they had requested, but with enough of a point deduction to effectively guarantee at minimum two years out of Serie A like was originally anticipated. Everyone wins!

Shinobi

Mama Smurf said:
I agree and disagree here. I absolutely think the League Cup should be stopped or, as you say, should carry on without Premiership teams. Not sure how much of a difference it'll make to fitness levels of the stars, they're usually the ones dropped and rested during those games anyway, generally only playing the semi-finals at the earliest (which should be one leg). They probably save themselves one or two games without a league cup....but that's only if their team actually gets that far. You pretty much covered this.

As for making the Premiership smaller...hell no. That might be easy to say as an Arsenal fan, you guys have been in the top flight for the last 87 years, but for those of us with the constant threat of a relegation battle and perhaps just surviving, it's a terrible prospect. It would make the Premiership even more elite, with more money going to fewer clubs, and promoted teams having an even harder time staying up.

Besides, the Premiership already went smaller a while back, FIFA can shut the hell up and make some of their own competitions smaller if they're worried about the schedule, instead they keep making them bigger and adding more, while telling us to go smaller because there are too many games. The World Cup doubled in size, the World Club Championship was introduced, the European Championship got bigger (UEFA, but the same point), a league format was added to both the European Cup and the UEFA Cup (to be fair the Champions League got rid of the second group stage, which was stupid anyway), more teams were allowed into the Champions League...it all adds up.

What if we did go down to 18 teams? That saves what...4 games a year? That's it? I don't see it making much difference, that could just mean that Chelsea have a bit more energy to go further in the Champions League and those 4 Premiership games are wiped out by two rounds of European competition (with the prospect of extra time). Or they could go further in the FA Cup or whatever.

And I can see FIFA getting worst. I can just see them looking at Africa and thinking "Hmmmm, only 5 teams qualifying, and Cameroon, Nigeria, Senegal, Morocco and Egypt didn't even make it. Surely some of those teams are worthy of playing at the highest level". And they're right, those teams wouldn't be out of place at the World Cup at all, so I can see them putting the WC up to 40 teams sometime soon. It's easy enough, it's only 8 more teams so you just make it groups of 5 rather 4, top 2 going through still. Only adds 1 more game, it's easy enough to find 8 teams who didn't make it to this WC who wouldn't be out of place: Cameroon, Nigeria, Senegal, Uruguay, China, Turkey, Ireland, Norway.

Surely the easiest way of cutting down on fixtures would be to cut qualification groups down. Look at Euro 2008. Most teams are in a 7 team group, so 12 games each. There are 50 teams overall, going for 14 places, so how about instead of 7 groups of 7 teams and the top 2 go through, we have 12 groups of 4 teams and the top side goes through. Then, the best 4 second place sides would play off against each other for the last 2 places. That cuts European qualifying in half, from 12 to 6, and even if you have to go through a play off it's still down to 8.

You could cut the Champions League down by removing the group stage. 32 teams enter right now and to get to win it (or finish runner up), you have to play 13 games. If it was a straight knock out from start to finish, you only have to play 9 games (this can apply to the world cup too).

And **** the world club whatever, no one even gives a shit. There are so many ways that FIFA and UEFA themselves can cut down on the number of fixtures, but no, they try and force others to do it when it can only be bad for their domestic game, and icnrease their own competitions.

Reducing the numbers of teams isn't something I agree with...just saying if they're gonna reduce, 18 wouldn't mean shit. But as you said even cutting down to 16 teams would only reduce the sched by six games, which FIFA would no doubt replace with extra bullshit anyway.

psycho_snake said:
We dont have a 2nd goalie. Howard is on loan to everton and ben foster is on loan to Watford. If van Der`Sar got injured we wouldnt have anyone else, but jdging by the joga bonito videos we could pout rooney in goal.

:lol

psycho_snake said:
Even after 10 wins they'll still be at the bottom of the table

:lol They might as well have started in Serie C, cause that's where they'll be going with that ridiculous deficit. So they might be out of Serie A for three years! :lol What ownage...good Lord.

Now we'll see how much truth there is to Arsenal landing Buffon...that would be a really nice catch, though they still need to shore up their central defending and defensive midfield depth (also got this Ashley Cole thing to deal with).

Man do I feel bad for Juvi fans...getting butt ****ed for something that had nothing to do with them. It's half the reason why I didn't mind seeing Italy win the World Cup this year.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't know about Buffon, I don't think he'll come to England. He would be excellent though.

I have a feeling Thuram is coming, that would be great. He is exactly the player we are missing. He might not be the youngest anymore, but he is still quality - and not too slow yet either. For one or two years he would be great.

arsene wenger's magic
he wears a
magic hat
and when he saw Lilian Thuram
he said im having that

Falch

Shinobi said:
:lol They might as well have started in Serie C, cause that's where they'll be going with that ridiculous deficit. So they might be out of Serie A for three years! :lol What ownage...good Lord.

That's highly unlikely. If you look at the results of the Serie B (which has 22 teams) over the last couple of years you see something like this or this. Juventus can get a maximum amount of points of 42 * 3 - 30 = 96 points. Juventus shouldn't have any trouble staying in the Serie B, and they might even be able to get a promotion play-off for Serie A. We could see them playing in Serie B for only one year. All will depend on which players will leave Juventus, and which will stay.

psycho_snake

Shinobi said:

Now we'll see how much truth there is to Arsenal landing Buffon...that would be a really nice catch, though they still need to shore up their central defending and defensive midfield depth (also got this Ashley Cole thing to deal with).

Man do I feel bad for Juvi fans...getting butt ****ed for something that had nothing to do with them. It's half the reason why I didn't mind seeing Italy win the World Cup this year.
Its really harsh on the fans. My dad is really pissed off about it. He said that He knew that they would get relegated but he thinks that the 30 point deduction is too harsh and he's right. Its not fair that the fans have to suffer by seeing their team hit by such a heavy punishment for something that they had nothing to do with. Juve are going to appeal, but I dont know how much good that would do.

Its going to be an interesting few weeks in the transfer market though. All the top clubs are going to be after Juve's big players. I really hope that United try to get Emerson, he would be perfect for us. He isnt exactly a defensive midfield, but he isnt attacking either, he's got a very good balance of attacking and defending. Its the type of player United really need. I doubt that we will get him though. Real Madrid need a good midfielder and Emerson has got a very good relationship with Capello, they have been together at Roma and at Juve.

Trezeguet should also be considered now that it looks like Ruud is definately going. Im not too sure if we need antoher striker, Id be happy with what we have at he moment because Rooney, Saha, Smith and Rossi are good enough for the job. Rossi is still young and lacks experience, but if ruud goes and we dont bring in a replacement, its a perfect oppoirtunity for him to gain some experience, which is important because he will be fundamental in our future.

Im trying to think of any other clubs that Bufon could go to other than Arsenal. real madrid have Casillas, Barca have Valdes, Chelsea have Cech, Man Utd have Van Der sar and we just bought Kuzczak too, Liverpool have reina and Inter is a possability because they dont have an outstanding goalie and since they are an Italian club it would be a good option for Buffon, but maybe he doesnt want to hurt Juve fans by playing for another Italian club. I doubt Buffon will go and play in a league other than the spanish, Italian or English, so it doesnt look like Arsenal have much ompetition to get him. Buffon would be an amazing buy. Thuram could be another good edition, but he is very old and wenger doesnt seem keen on buying old players. He's like fergie and always looks at the long term future. Thuram would be a short term solution to the defence. If he does come will he be put on the bench most of the time or will Wenger use him instead of Sendores.

Cannavaro has been linked with Chelsea, so I goddamn hope that thoe rumours are just rumours and nothing concrete. If Chelsea get cannavaro it swould be devastation. cannavaro and terry are probably the two best central defenders in the world, it would be impossible to break those two down .Chelsea already have Carvalho and Gallas to play alongside terry. If gallas will be played at right back again then it could open the door for cannavaro to move. Real Madrid are also interested in him and cannavaro will probably be very interested in a move there because of Capello. zambrotta is another player linked to Chelsea, but again Capello being at real madrid will be a big draw for Zambrotta.

Speaking about left backs, what is ashley cole's problem? isnt he the one that broke the rules by talking to another club behind Arsenals back? Why the **** is he getting in a massive fit for arsenal reporting him to the FA then? he broke the ****ing rules, arsenal have every right to do what they did. I just dont get how he can feel as though he has been treated harshly. He's criticised them in his autobiography and there was a rumour in the paper that he didnt invite wenger to his wedding because of the whole incident. If i were Arsenal id let him **** off to Chelsea. It looks like he wont shut up until he moves.

I'd like to see more Italian players in the premiership so any movement in that sense, to whichever clubs is good. I'd like to see Rossi develop too because looking at our national side we need more young players coming through. That's what makes this WC victory even more satisfying, most players are at the edge of their careers and to see them win is just what they deserved, it was last chance saloon for many of them. There's still something to be said for 'old' players as everybody seems to be in some frenzied quest for the next best 16 year old.

Zambrotta would be good in England, it's a shame that Grosso's gone to Inter as he would've fit in well too.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Juve are going to appeal, which will mean Italy will struggle to submit its list of Champions League teams in time...

they can appeal but Italy don't have a choice by the time the appeal gets done they'll have already submitted their teams, Juve can moan all they want but there isn't enough time.

hadareud

The Translator
MrPing1000 said:
they can appeal but Italy don't have a choice by the time the appeal gets done they'll have already submitted their teams, Juve can moan all they want but there isn't enough time.
true, but maybe they can start with like 15 instead of 30 points. That should help a bit in not getting relegated to Serie C

hadareud

The Translator
Furious Cole criticises Arsenal
Ashley Cole in action for Arsenal
Cole says the Gunners "fed him to the sharks"
Arsenal full-back Ashley Cole has heavily criticised the Gunners in the promotional material for his new book.

The 25-year-old was punished by the Premier League for an illegal meeting with Chelsea last season.

Cole subsequently signed a new deal with Arsenal but has now revealed his anger at how the club handled the fall out surrounding his Chelsea meeting.

"Arsenal hung me out to dry, using me as a scapegoat to get back at Chelsea," he is quoted in The Sun as saying.

"The board 'rewarded' me with an insult and threw years of loyalty back in my face.

"I'll reveal the shattering truth about who fed me to the sharks. It changed my view forever on the club I regarded as family."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/5182552.stm

Let him go, we don't need him. What a brat.

Mama Smurf

While Cole is obviously in the wrong and I don't want it to seem I'm defending him, I do think he's right when he says Arsenal were more concerned about getting at Chelsea rather than keeping their player. I don't believe for a microsecond that he's the first Arsenal player to ever be tapped up (and I'd be very sceptical if someone tried to convince me Arsenal or any other club had never been on the other end), but you know...this time it was Chelsea.

Anyway, I can't believe it's still going on, sell him or keep him and get him to shut up about it, the whole thing's boring me. I better not still be reading about the Zidane headbutt in a year's time either btw.

Have you guys seen Henry's wife? I imagine the gooners amongst us have, but for the rest of us....the BASTARD!

_38058649_french_wags23_ap.jpg

That's her on the left. The one on the right is Trezeguet's wife.

I HATE YOU LIFE

psycho_snake

Ive seen henry's wife before. Isnt her name nicole? She is stunning. Henry is one lucky bastard

Mama Smurf

There's a rumour that if Van Nistelrooy is sold, United might buy Defoe (and Spurs would try and get Luca Toni or someone).

Don't really see what would be in it for Defoe. He can stay at Spurs and try and fight for his place and probably end up on the bench, or he can go to United and try to fight for his place and...probably end up on the bench. At least Spurs only have 3 decent centre forwards including him, that's a lot less competition than at United. He'd be better going to Liverpool or Newcastle if either can afford him.

Orlando Pirates 0 - 2 Manchester United at half time Solskjaer with both goals, first one was awesome, second he knicked if off a defender :p

psycho_snake

MrPing1000 said:
Orlando Pirates 0 - 2 Manchester United at half time Solskjaer with both goals, first one was awesome, second he knicked if off a defender :p
Are you watching it? Damn I didnt even know we were playing now. This is good though, its nice solskjaer scored, it gives him confidence. He might have a bigger part to play next season then i imagined.

van Nistelrooy is a step closer to the exit door at United after Capello has said he has taken a liking towards Van Horseface

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=403319&CPID=23&clid=186&lid=2&title=Capello+admits+Ruud+liking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom