• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (Soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinobi

Falch said:
That's highly unlikely. If you look at the results of the Serie B (which has 22 teams) over the last couple of years you see something like this or this. Juventus can get a maximum amount of points of 42 * 3 - 30 = 96 points. Juventus shouldn't have any trouble staying in the Serie B, and they might even be able to get a promotion play-off for Serie A. We could see them playing in Serie B for only one year. All will depend on which players will leave Juventus, and which will stay.

There is no chance of them getting back to Serie A in one year. Not with a 30 point deficit. If they win their first ten games they'll be back to last place. :lol That's just too much work.

MrPing1000 said:
they can appeal but Italy don't have a choice by the time the appeal gets done they'll have already submitted their teams, Juve can moan all they want but there isn't enough time.

The date for submitting teams is (I think) July 22, with UEFA releasing the full Champions League slate on July 25. Ironically it's the reason why they wanted the initial verdict as quick as possible, so they'd have a bit more time to appeal. I could see the points deficit getting chopped down a bit...maybe by ten or fifteen points. If they get that, maybe they'll have a shot of getting back up to Serie A in a year.

It's funny though...as harsh as the ruling seems to be, when you really think about it it isn't nearly enough. Look at the way other teams not just in Italy but elsewhere got ****ed over by the way the operatives of these teams did business. As one guy on TV said, even gamblers got ****ed up the ass by their shady business. In a lot of ways Juvi and the others lucked out big time.

Funnier still is seeing some of these officials only getting four or five year bans...I mean WTF. If you're willing to cheat the sport to such a disgusting degree, you shouldn't only be banned for life, you should get your ass thrown in jail for ten years.

Mama Smurf said:
_38058649_french_wags23_ap.jpg

"Wow...she's almost as hot as me!"

hadareud said:

"Yeah...I've got a good life."

Ashley Cole just sounds like a baby at this stage. They didn't make him out to be the bad guy...he happened to get fined, but that's his fault for being so ****ing stupid about it ("Hey, let me make illegal contact with officials from a rival team in a London hotel lobby!! Maybe no one will notice!!"). I can understand the initial bad vibes, but it's been 18 months...plenty of time to get over it. But whatever, he'll be sold soon enough...and he'll basically help fund the Buffon purchase, so it's all good.

psycho_snake said:
Cannavaro has been linked with Chelsea, so I goddamn hope that thoe rumours are just rumours and nothing concrete.

There was a picture in one of the tabloids supposedly showing Cannavaro visiting Abramovich's supertanker-sized yacht.

Shinobi

celestial body said:
I see the green light has been given for Man Utd fans to start slagging him off :lol for politeness sake at least wait until he has left the country..;)

:lol Not all that similiar to United fans trashing Ronaldo before the England/Portugal game had even finished. :lol

Kinda why I'm not saying shit about Ashley Cole yet...I wouldn't be at all surprised if he played here another year. But it's been obvious for a while that he's gonna leave eventually, and it's a shame he seems intent on burning what little is left of the bridges. But hey, such is life...he's still an outstanding player.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
What's with the different spellings of some Dutch players? I can only think of Van Nistelrooy right now, but I'm sure I've seen others in the past. I get it with Russian players, they have a different alphabet, but why the Dutch? Are there letters we don't have in English? Educate me, surprisingly large Dutch contingent.

Does anyone get the feeling Mourinho is looking at playing 4 central midfielders with 2 strikers next season, like Milan? He started dropping his wingers at the end of last season entriely and now he has Ballack to play in a Kaka position and Shevchenko to partner Drogba, plus he's after Roberto Carlos to go bombing down that wing...

I hope he isn't, I want to watch players like Robben and Cole every week, not when things are going bad and they need to bring on a sub. And Duff and W-P would NEVER get games.

EDIT: Bellamy scored on his Liverpool (friendly) debut. Yey.

Falch

Mama Smurf said:
What's with the different spellings of some Dutch players? I can only think of Van Nistelrooy right now, but I'm sure I've seen others in the past. I get it with Russian players, they have a different alphabet, but why the Dutch? Are there letters we don't have in English? Educate me, surprisingly large Dutch contingent.

Good question. The letter Y in English = I-J in Dutch. We do use the Y though (and even pronounce it the same way), just not very much (mostly in names).

So Van Nistelrooij = Van Nistelrooy, Kuijt = Kuyt. I guess it has to do with the fact that English speakers don't know how to pronounce I-J.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Fulham Lost to Exeter in their first friendly, i know friendlies dont mean a lot (though looking at the starting line up, looks like they took it pretty seriously) still i think Fulham have to be one of the favourites to drop this season, Coleman has promised to not play Steed Malbranque, after he turned down a club record contract offer...but he cant get a replacement either because Steed has turned down moves to West Ham, Middlesborough and...Man City (i think it was Man City) over wages.

Im sure this is hyperbole but one of the papers is saying hes demanding 60k and champions league football! Coleman only wants £4 mill for him, one of the two has clearly valued his abilities incorrectly, and i dont think its Coleman.

Why are all the half decent footballers money grabbing assholes these days?

Scotch

Mama Smurf said:
I guess you're referring to "van Nistelrooij"? Which in this case is actually wrong, cause his correct name is simply "van Nistelrooy".

The error among Dutch people with Ruud's name is probably due to the fact that the 'y' is not used a lot in the Dutch language. Instead, a lot of words are spelled with 'ij', which is often treated as a seperate letter on its own, though officially it is not.

Wes

venison crêpe
I hope Doug Ellis goes from Villa. The sooner the better. It's obvious he's holding the club back, be it financially or through other matters.

I hope that consortium buys him out quickly otherwise I fear we are odds-on for the drop this season.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
celestial body said:
I see the green light has been given for Man Utd fans to start slagging him off :lol for politeness sake at least wait until he has left the country..;)
I like use Ruud a lot. he was my favourite Man Utd player untill rooney came. Im not slagging him off because he's leaving, I called him van Horseface because he looks like a horse and he also looks like jerry seinfeld

Mama Smurf

Ah I see, thanks guys.

Is it just me or are these new Liverpool kits based extremely closely on older strips, from the 90s (I think)? They all look so familiar.

As for Fulham...they have at least bought Bullard, even if they lose Malbranque. And it's rumoured he might stay this season so he can leave on a free and then clubs will pay him the wage he wants, as they don't have to pay a fee. I don't really know what to make of them generally though. They had a superb home record last year (equal with Tottneham's, only beaten by Blackburn, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea) and an atrocious away record (only beaten by.....no, they were even worst than Sunderland ffs).

If they could get a few more away wins, they'd be top half of the table easy, but there's no way to know if they can keep up that sort of home form at the same time.

I wouldn't be surprised if, for the first time in a while, all 3 promoted teams go straight back down this year. I do have a feeling Wigan might collapse and Villa could drown in their own depression though.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
As i started a conversation about odds, seems only fair to provide some, heres the relegation odds from Coral

Code:
	Watford	1/2	
	Sheff United	1/2	
	Reading	6/4	
	Charlton	9/4	
	Wigan	4/1	
	Aston Villa	5/1	
	Fulham	5/1	
	Man City	8/1	
	Middlesbrough	8/1	
	Portsmouth	8/1	
	West Ham	8/1	
	Bolton	16/1	
	Everton	16/1	
	Blackburn	25/1	
	Newcastle	40/1	
	Tottenham	100/1	
	Liverpool	500/1	
	Arsenal	500/1	
	Man United	1000/1	
	Chelsea	2000/1

Charlton, as always, 4th favourite :lol, every year. Looks about right to me, though ive learnt my lesson about bad mouthing Charlton, they've bought Jimmy Floyd and kept Bent & Young (so far at least), so i cant see them finishing too far south of half way. I like Dowie too, he's at least 4 times smarter than he looks.

Shinobi

Arsenal were held to a 0-0 draw by Barnet. :lol Think both teams had goals disallowed due to offside.

Wenger wants Arsenal to keep Cole

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says he does not want Ashley Cole to leave the club.

In the promotional material for his new book, Cole criticised the Gunners for making him a "scapegoat" over the tapping-up affair with Chelsea.

Wenger said: "He has two years on his contract and unless we sell he has a future. I want him to stay.

"Nothing is decided yet and for me he is just an Arsenal player like everyone else. Football players are there to play football," he told Sky Sports.

Cole, Chelsea and Blues' manager Jose Mourinho were all fined after they breached league rules by meeting without Arsenal's knowledge.

Cole went on to sign a new contract with the Gunners but has now revealed his anger at how the club handled the fall out surrounding his Chelsea meeting.

"Arsenal hung me out to dry, using me as a scapegoat to get back at Chelsea," he is quoted in The Sun as saying.

"The board 'rewarded' me with an insult and threw years of loyalty back in my face.

"I'll reveal the shattering truth about who fed me to the sharks. It changed my view forever on the club I regarded as family."

However, Wenger insisted: "When we look at Ashley Cole we can say Arsenal have helped him a lot. He is intelligent enough to make a difference."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/5183866.stm

As long as Wenger wants to keep him, there's a pretty decent chance he'll stay on at least another year. Cole doesn't have any issues with the players either...his anger is directed squarely at management.

hadareud

The Translator
Shinobi said:
Arsenal were held to a 0-0 draw by Barnet. :lol Think both teams had goals disallowed due to offside.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/5183866.stm

As long as Wenger wants to keep him, there's a pretty decent chance he'll stay on at least another year. Cole doesn't have any issues with the players either...his anger is directed squarely at management.

I just watched the post game interview on Arsenal.com. I have a feeling he will leave, Wenger said "we want to keep him but it is down to 3 parties". There was alot of buts in this interview.

He also said footballers are there to play football and not to talk. I agree.

Of course Arsenal kind of used Cole to get back at Chelsea, but then again - it is down to Cole to meet up with Chelsea in the first place. And everything that has been said by him afterwards does not fill me with confidence. If he thinks he is bigger than the club it's time to say goodbye, even though he might be the best leftback in the world.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Roeders **** up of Newcastle has officially begun:

Newcastle 1-1 Lillestrom

Took a late late equalizer for Newcastle to get a draw.

Mama Smurf

And the yellow one looks like 97-99. I like your current European away shirt best, the others are pretty crappy (and I remember that 96-97 away top, it didn't look peach/pink like that site suggests, it was cream....wasn't it?)

WTF is up with Blackburn's 99-00 third strip? I didn't even know that existed. Or I've purged it from my memory.

The Italian buying spree has pretty much begun. Clearly there's no faith that appeals will get them anywhere, though it's amusing that Juve think they'll be able to sell their players for full price. Maybe on those who are desperately wanted by multiple teams, but if only one team seriously comes in, they're going to have to accept a cut price.

Despite being 33, Nedved has already had offers flood in, Monaco and Spurs seem to be the main ones. He'd be a good stop gap solution for Spurs, who desperately need a left winger but have had bids for various players turned away all summer, so they could go with Nedved now and try again next summer (still think they should go for Kewell).

Benitez wants Trezeguet (like I said ;)) and Camoranesi, for obvious reasons. I'm not sure about Camoranesi, I remember someone here a while ago saying how overrated he is, and after the World Cup I'm inclined to agree. Still, Liverpool don't have any right wingers,so he's got to be better than that.

Looks like Real are going to beat Chelsea to Cannavaro and pick up Zambrotta too. This must actually be quite a nervewracking time for Barca supporters. Cappello's just the sort of coach to turn them around and the prospect of bringing in players like the two I've mentioned and Van Nistelrooy (players who will actually work for the team and get results, unlike some they buy who I sometimes feel just want to show off their skills and earn huge wages) must be worrying. I mean he could potentially put out a back four of Zambrotta at left back, Ramos at right back and Cannavaro and Woodgate down the middle next season, which would just be excellent.

Roeder is rumoured to be after Del Piero as his side has such a striker crisis (they had to play Luque and Milner up front yesterday...****ing hell). I guess that might appeal to him, with Newcastle having basically the same strip he won't have to remember to pass to a different colour. No Champions League football though, and it's bloody cold up there...I dunno if he'd accept. I don't really know the Italian game too well anymore, but it seems to me he might just stay at Juve until the end of his career even if it means playing in a lower league for a bit. I mean he's already 31, I can't see another top side wanting him and he's such a symbol of the club that I can't imagine him anywhere else.

Arsenal say they wouldn't be able to pay the sort of wages Juve players get, so probably won't buy anyone. I find that pretty weird, surely Arsenal can afford high wages for one or two more players, especially with higher gate reciepts from now on. I don't know why Wenger didn't just say "**** that, they're all too old", he's well known for buying young and most of Juve's best are coming to the end of their careers.

For some reason Milan are still being brought up as having to sell. I know the lack of Champions League money is a blow, but they did just sell Shevchenko for £30m, which more than covers it. And I can't see their players being that bothered by being out of the CL for one year that they'd insist on moving, they should easily get back in the year after even with a 15 point deficit. They'd have made it this year with 15 points less, and they don't even have some of their rivals to contend with now. Anyway, if for some reason they do feel they have to sell, Chelsea will want Nesta and various teams will be looking at Inzaghi.

Moving away from Italy, if Van Nistelrooy goes for £15m, Man Utd are apparently going to bid £25m for Torres. Of course, yesterday they were going to use the Van Nistelrooy money to get Defoe, so who the **** knows.

EDIT: And now it's claimed Buffon's agent has said Arsenal have bid £13m for Buffon. So that's contradictory.

psycho_snake

Mama Smurf said:
Despite being 33, Nedved has already had offers flood in, Monaco and Spurs seem to be the main ones. He'd be a good stop gap solution for Spurs, who desperately need a left winger but have had bids for various players turned away all summer, so they could go with Nedved now and try again next summer (still think they should go for Kewell).
Nedved will be an excellent addition to any team. Despite his age he is still a bloody brilliant player. At Juve he played on the left, but he usually cuts into the middle. Spurs will probably use him the same way, they need a player on the left wing and nedved would be excellent. Monaco are also interested in him and so are a team from the UAE, but Nedved isnt the type of guy who will go to a club for the money. I thought he would be considering a move to his home club. He's got a lot of options available to him.

Benitez wants Trezeguet (like I said ;)) and Camoranesi, for obvious reasons. I'm not sure about Camoranesi, I remember someone here a while ago saying how overrated he is, and after the World Cup I'm inclined to agree. Still, Liverpool don't have any right wingers,so he's got to be better than that.
I think it wamoranesi, i cant rmemeber though. Ive always hated him though, He's a very sloppy player who seems to care about money and his hair than his football. He's just a poor player with limited talent. Cant garcia play on the right wing? garcia is a much better player than camoranesi is, i dont see why they need him.

Trezeguet is a good option. Pool need to replace Cisse and they could probably get Trez on the cheap, but I dont want to see him go to Liverpool. I think it would be good for United to get him, preferrably on a loan deal. Rossi could go out on loan, fergie has siad that he doesnt know what they are going to do with him yet, so if he does go, we'll be another striker down. Fergie has said that Ole can replace ruud, but Ole is past his best. He's old now and he cant play that many games. Trezeguet will make ruuds deparute feel unnoticed, he's a very similar player and just as capable.

Looks like Real are going to beat Chelsea to Cannavaro and pick up Zambrotta too. This must actually be quite a nervewracking time for Barca supporters. Cappello's just the sort of coach to turn them around and the prospect of bringing in players like the two I've mentioned and Van Nistelrooy (players who will actually work for the team and get results, unlike some they buy who I sometimes feel just want to show off their skills and earn huge wages) must be worrying. I mean he could potentially put out a back four of Zambrotta at left back, Ramos at right back and Cannavaro and Woodgate down the middle next season, which would just be excellent.
Yeah Barca fans must be very worried. Capello has managed to win the lkeague in his first season with every clu he's been too and at real madrid, he's got plenty of cash to spend on players and he already has a lot of quality players at the team. It looks like cannavaro, ruud and Zambrotta are on their way to Madrid and possible transfers inclube emerson, who has been with Capello at Roma and juve, so a move to real madrid is very possible. real need some good midfielders and there are not many better than emerson.

Roeder is rumoured to be after Del Piero as his side has such a striker crisis (they had to play Luque and Milner up front yesterday...****ing hell). I guess that might appeal to him, with Newcastle having basically the same strip he won't have to remember to pass to a different colour. No Champions League football though, and it's bloody cold up there...I dunno if he'd accept. I don't really know the Italian game too well anymore, but it seems to me he might just stay at Juve until the end of his career even if it means playing in a lower league for a bit. I mean he's already 31, I can't see another top side wanting him and he's such a symbol of the club that I can't imagine him anywhere else.
I doubt Del Piero will go. He's been at Juve ever since he was very young, so leaving Juve wont be easy for him because he must have a very big attatchment to them. Imagine if what to Juve happened to Man Utd, you couldnt imagine the likes of giggs, scholes and neville moving. Its the same with del piero.

Arsenal say they wouldn't be able to pay the sort of wages Juve players get, so probably won't buy anyone. I find that pretty weird, surely Arsenal can afford high wages for one or two more players, especially with higher gate reciepts from now on. I don't know why Wenger didn't just say "**** that, they're all too old", he's well known for buying young and most of Juve's best are coming to the end of their careers.
Buffon is young for a goalie and Arsenal do need a goalkeeper. he probably is looking at a couple of Juve players, Buffon being one of them, but he just doesnt want to show any interest. Arsenal are also linked with baptista and ribery. Although riberys agent said that arsenal have not made contact, it seems like Wenger is actually very interested. baptista has said that arsenal stillw ant him but he said he wants to stay at real madrid.

For some reason Milan are still being brought up as having to sell. I know the lack of Champions League money is a blow, but they did just sell Shevchenko for £30m, which more than covers it. And I can't see their players being that bothered by being out of the CL for one year that they'd insist on moving, they should easily get back in the year after even with a 15 point deficit. They'd have made it this year with 15 points less, and they don't even have some of their rivals to contend with now. Anyway, if for some reason they do feel they have to sell, Chelsea will want Nesta and various teams will be looking at Inzaghi.
Real Midrid will probably try to sign kaka. The president said that Kaka was one of the players he wanted and surely Capellio would like to have him too. After all they do need a replacement for Zidane.

Moving away from Italy, if Van Nistelrooy goes for £15m, Man Utd are apparently going to bid £25m for Torres. Of course, yesterday they were going to use the Van Nistelrooy money to get Defoe, so who the **** knows.
As i said, id rather get Trezeguet. he's very similar to ruud and Im sure he'll fit in fine. I hope United stay far away from torres, I think he's very overrated. he looks like the guy who cares more about making himself look good instead of doing whats best for the team.

EDIT: And now it's claimed Buffon's agent has said Arsenal have bid £13m for Buffon. So that's contradictory.
Thats no surpsise. I heard Inter are interested in Buffon too.

Mama Smurf

Hey hadareud, the Arsenal match you're going to is live on Five this Saturday, do the shocker or something if the camera is on you so we know it's you.

And by do the shocker, I mean the hand gesture. Not the act.

bud

Manics said:
All Juventus has to do is appeal, bribe the judge and get the point penalty reduced to about 15. Then they can get back into Serie A in one season. :)
oh so it's a common thing in italy

hadareud

The Translator
Mama Smurf said:
Hey hadareud, the Arsenal match you're going to is live on Five this Saturday, do the shocker or something if the camera is on you so we know it's you.

And by do the shocker, I mean the hand gesture. Not the act.
:lol

I most certainly will, I doubt I'll be on camera though - upper rank behind the goal is not usually very interesting. Maybe they'll show my girlfriend though.

psycho_snake

hadareud said:
The Bergkamp testimonial - can't wait.
That's amazing. I didnt know about it. Are they playing at emirates stadiium or will they have it at highbury? I wonder if we are going to see everyone dressed up in orange again like they did on dennis bergkamp day.

hadareud

The Translator
psycho_snake said:
That's amazing. I didnt know about it. Are they playing at emirates stadiium or will they have it at highbury? I wonder if we are going to see everyone dressed up in orange again like they did on dennis bergkamp day.
first game in the new stadium. I think they sold something like 10 or 15,000 tickets to the dutch (my girlfriend being one of them :D )

psycho_snake

hadareud said:
first game in the new stadium. I think they sold something like 10 or 15,000 tickets to the dutch (my girlfriend being one of them :D )
Lucky you! I dont think they're showing it where i live, which sucks because I want to see the game and I dont want to miss you doing a shocker if they do put you on the camera!

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, we were very lucky. It wasn't easy to get the tickets even though we're both members. It's gonna be great.

psycho_snake

hadareud said:
Yeah, we were very lucky. It wasn't easy to get the tickets even though we're both members. It's gonna be great.
Thats what I thought too. My friend is a member at Manchester united, yet its almost impossible to get tickets. Its probably going to be easier for you this season though. Now that the new stadium has 60,000+ seats, you've got a much better chance of getting tickets more regularly.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
:lol

Do you live in Blackburn Mama? Do they still have those talking bus-stops that tell you to go to Ewood park? It was ****ing scary when Souness did the message.

hadareud

The Translator
everything has it's upsides I guess :D

I just read in an Austrian newpaper that there is strong rumors of an Ronaldo (the original, not whiney bitch) - Van Nistelrooy switch.

That would be interesting to say at the least.

Mama Smurf

Used to live 15 minutes away, 4 hours now sadly.

I've never even heard of those bus stops! Pretty much the only times I've been to Blackburn town proper is when I had a girlfriend who lived there, and she wasn't worth it. The times I've been to Ewood Park we always parked so close I don't think I even passed a bus stop.

psycho_snake

hadareud said:
everything has it's upsides I guess :D

I just read in an Austrian newpaper that there is strong rumors of an Ronaldo (the original, not whiney bitch) - Van Nistelrooy switch.

That would be interesting to say at the least.
I wouldnt midn that switch. Ronaldo is still a quality player, he just needs to improve his fitness.

Shinobi

hadareud said:
I think Wenger is just trying to keep the price low, I have a feeling they'll go for Buffon and Thuram.

That's my feeling...why shout out to the world who you want? It only needlessly raises the price. I think the Gunners learnt their lesson with Wright-Phillips last year, who Chelsea clearly bought just so the Gunners couldn't (it certainly wasn't out of need). And let's face it, if Buffon commands a bit more then the Gunners are willing to shell or they get into a bidding war with one of the Milan squads, he would be too expensive. So in that sense Wenger isn't even lying.

Conversely he's talking about Cole still staying around, when that just seems to be a pipe dream. Again, that's probably just strategic, and not exactly untruthful...until the Gunners accept a bid for him, Cole is a Gunner.

Wenger's also quoted as saying that they have no interest in Saviola since they've already got a ton of forwards (been saying that for weeks, heh). Even though the rumoured 4 million or so would be a bargain price, they simply don't need him.

There's also an interesting theory at the Arsenal Vital Football site regarding a potential Cole/Baptista swap, which I'd be in favour of.

http://www.arsenal.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=23972

Here's a link to the "secret deal" that's mentioned in the article...

http://www.arsenal.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=23967

It's an interesting theory...don't know how legal it would be, but it'd be a pretty interesting deal.

MrPing1000 said:
Yes I can just imagine Ronaldo on top form in the pouring rain in Fulham.

No thanks.

:lol :lol :lol

In other news, Vieira's still being linked to Old Trafford, which would be ****ing bizarre but a good stop gap move on United's part. But obviously Ruud would have to depart first before that could take place. And Fabio Cannavaro will sign for Real Madrid in the next day or two, to the surprise of absolutely no one. BTW, here's Madrid new home strip...

real-madrid.JPG

Ordering it(without the ugly sponsor) just as soon as we know about all the new signings. :D

Cannavaro and Ruud practically aboard. Zambrotta and Emerson well on track. Now all we need is to find a way to get Kaka and Robben and Real would be unstoppable. Hopefully they'll make a push for Diarra(who has openly said he is waiting for Madrid's offer), even if they sign Emerson.

Casillas
Cannavaro
Ramos
Cicinho
Zambrotta
Emerson
Robben
Robinho
Kaka
Ronaldo
van Nistelrooy

*mega fap*

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
All of todays paper rumours:

Chelsea winger Damien Duff is joining rivals Spurs in an £11m deal. (The Sun)

Cristiano Ronaldo has told his mum he is staying at Manchester United. (The Sun)

Manchester United are ready to lodge an £8m bid with Juventus to make it third time lucky in luring Patrick Vieira to Old Trafford. (Daily Mirror)

Ashley Cole is to persist with his plans to leave Arsenal when he returns from honeymoon despite Arsene Wenger's insistence he wants him to stay. (The Guardian)

Atletico Madrid insisted last night that Fernando Torres was not on his way to Manchester United. (Daily Star)

Rino Gattuso was locked in talks last night with his agent over a "dream" move to Manchester United. (The Sun)

Liam Miller will leave Manchester United once they receive a suitable offer. (Daily Mirror)

Rangers have signed the Senegalese midfielder Makhtar N'Diaye. (The Independent)

West Ham are in talks to sign Ghana World Cup star John Pantail. (Daily Mirror)

Manchester City are reportedly close to signing Bernado Corradi from Valencia. (Daily Telegraph)

Portsmouth are trying to snatch Czech Republic defender Tomasz Ujfalusi from scandal-hit Fiorentina. (Daily Mirror)

Fulham boss Chris Coleman is still insisting Steed Malbranque will never play for the Premiership side again despite the Frenchman's failure to find a new club. (Daily Star)

Adie Boothroyd is trying to push through a £1.2m deal for Crystal Palace winger Jobi McAnuff. (Daily Mirror, Daily Star)

West Brom boss Bryan Robson wants Wigan's former Liverpool midfielder David Thompson. (Daily Mirror)

Millwall have accepted a £400,000 bid from Leeds for midfielder David Livermore. (Daily Star)

I cant believe Man U would hedge their bets so blatently so im thinking one of the two stories is fake...im hoping its the viera one because id love to see Gattuso in the EPL (bored of Viera).

Theres a hell of a lot of idle agent speculation going on this year, more than usual.

On the Duff thing, winger down for Chelsea...could they be switching to 4-4-2? You'd think with wingers like Cole & Robben, poachers like Sheva and Crespo would have a field day.

Edit: Guess they cant do that they have way too many central midfielders :lol

wtf why don't we stick a bid in for duff?

I know Chelsea wouldn't want to sell to us but he's got 1 year left on his contract.

Spurs 2nd next year, Uefa cup for us woo!

+Aliken+

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
Ordering it(without the ugly sponsor) just as soon as we know about all the new signings. :D

Cannavaro and Ruud practically aboard. Zambrotta and Emerson well on track. Now all we need is to find a way to get Kaka and Robben and Real would be unstoppable. Hopefully they'll make a push for Diarra(who has openly said he is waiting for Madrid's offer), even if they sign Emerson.

Casillas
Cannavaro
Ramos
Cicinho
Zambrotta
Emerson
Robben
Robinho
Kaka
Ronaldo
van Nistelrooy

*mega fap*

Cassano il have an important role in this team.

Mama Smurf

I'd completely dismissed the Duff possiblity as I thought he'd signed a new contract, but looking it up all I can find is reports that he was about to sign a new contract, and apparently never did. Good buy for Spurs if true (and the way it's being reported makes it seem that way). Well kept quiet too.

As for going to 4-4-2...do you mean the Milan style formation I suggested Chelsea might be going towards earlier in the thread? If you just mean a normal 4-4-2, I don't see how Duff's sale would indicate that (though some site I read suggested the same thing so I must be missing something), they'd still be playing 2 wingers whether in their old formation or a 4-4-2.

EDIT: Oh, and depending on where they want to play Kalou, it's not necessarily a winger down. And even if they plan to play him as a striker mainly, he's still there to be a 4th winger.

+Aliken+ said:
Cassano il have an important role in this team.

Honestly, I thought he would be until a few days ago when I read about the recent physical tests done by the team. Not only is Cassano still fat, but he was the slowest player out of the whole squad. Not very promising. :-(

psycho_snake

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
Honestly, I thought he would be until a few days ago when I read about the recent physical tests done by the team. Not only is Cassano still fat, but he was the slowest player out of the whole squad. Not very promising. :-(
He will change under Capello. Cassano has never behaved properly off the pitch and its a shame because he's such a talented player, but when Capello was at Roma he managed to get the best out of Cassano. Once Capello left Cassano began to go back to his old habits. Cassano needs a manager who can keep him in his place and he's not had someone like that since Capello left roma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom