• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
S. L. said:
they are easily withing the 107%
fffuuuuu...

Love this quote from Vitaly:

"I think I have nothing to say. I did my race, I can't just let one car pass me. We are racing," he told reporters. "I think he is angry so there is no reason to speak to him right now. I think in his situation I would also be angry.

"I didn't do this for Vettel or want to disturb Fernando's race," he added.

"Of course I could have asked on the radio: 'Please ask my team how much Vettel wants to pay me' and then go to Ferrari and ask the same if I let him through and then we see who offers most money," he joked.
Also, great quotes from Vettel in Reuters from the post-race conference that S. L. linked:

Appearing on the podium flanked by the previous two champions, Britain's Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton, Vettel asked them: "How did it feel, was it also that strange?"

He said: "I guess it will sink in when I finally go to sleep but I think we will have daylight before that happens."

Growing up in the era of Michael Schumacher, the seven times world champion who ended his comeback season with a first lap crash on Sunday, Vettel is steeped in Formula One.

He watched as a kid and has a strong sense of its history.

"We have one guy in the team who knows all the world champions every year since 1950. Just ask him the year and he gives you the World Champion," said the latest champion.

"To be on that list now with drivers like (Ayrton) Senna, Michael (Schumacher), those two guys, I mean I don't know," he said before faltering, his lips quivering with emotion.
Being partial to Webber, I didn't pick Vettel to win but I'm very happy for him. Best driver won. Love the emotion that Vettel is willing to show. From his points with BMW at 19, to giving Torro Rosso its first win, to Red Bull's and his first championship. Truly amazing.

Jinjo

Deadman said:
Not only that but the result would be completely identical if we used bernies gold medal idea which everyone (including me) thought was insane. Vettel would win on more 4th places though, a slightly sad way to win a championship.

The only difference I'm seeing is that under the 03-09 points system, Hamilton could've been level on points with Vettel had he been P1 and Vettel P2 and this would not have been the case today. I don't know how that calculates in what result exactly, but if I'm right they'd atleast be level on wins too (4 each).

And with Bernie's medal system Hamilton and I think even Webber (I don't know exactly how the other places would've stacked up against Alonso/Vettel) would've been out of the hunt completely.

Deadman

Jinjo said:
The only difference I'm seeing is that under the 03-09 points system, Hamilton could've been level on points with Vettel had he been P1 and Vettel P2 and this would not have been the case today. I don't know how that calculates in what result exactly, but if I'm right they'd atleast be level on wins too (4 each).

And with Bernie's medal system Hamilton and I think even Webber (I don't know exactly how the other places would've stacked up against Alonso/Vettel) would've been out of the hunt completely.

Yes this is true, if they had swapped positions today then under 03-09 hamilton would actually be champion. Same number of wins but 1 more 2nd place.

Ha, I had no idea there was a decent F1 thread on GAF. Will post what I posted on another site...

My mother was really pissed off about Alonso losing... but at the end of the day it was Ferrari's extremely negative strategy (trying to cover Webber) and Alonso's lack of passing skill which cost them. Kudos to Petrov though, I've never rated him as a driver and I fully expected him to shit himself after about a lap of pressure from Alonso.

Webber was hilarious. Umpteen chances to pass Alonso when he made mistakes, but he couldn't be arsed even staying close. He knew he'd lost it and just gave up.

A much better season than I expected it to be, but I still think they need to work out a way of making passing easier (this should be evident after today's race especially).

Further to that... I'm a big fan of Alonso, Webber and Vettel, but wanted Vettel to win the championship mostly by virtue of the fact that Alonso and Webber have been whiny / self entitled bitches for a significant portion of this year.

Also, I'm still amazed Vettel's team didn't tell him he was on to win the championship until after he crossed the line? That was crazy, no wonder he just about crumbled from the emotion once he was told.

Dilly said:
Lack of passing skill?

The track just sucks as far as overtaking goes.
True, but others managed overtakes, and given what was at stake he should have given it absolutely everything.

(Just to be clear, I specifically meant today rather than generally. I'm fully aware that he's usually above average at overtaking, though he's no Hamilton)

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Congrats to the NeoGAF fantasy league.

We are THE CHAMPIONS; HATS HATS HATS HATS!!!

I finished 11th, far too much money at the end and little movement between top players because of it. Maybe they can tweak it for next year.

operon

Sad that alonso didn't win.
But in the end only one man deserved to win and that was vettel, it was his time and he came of age, surely one of the great world champions

ps: I am topgear f1 in 13th place

Frawdder

Congrats to Vettel, didn't want him to win it but he was able to get the wins when it counted and made the most of his rivals not being able to take control of the championship. Poor form by Fernando after the race, really no need for that. Petrov is not obliged to move over just because you have a red car, he drove brilliantly for once this year and unfortunately for Alonso, at the worst possible time.

A very exciting season and I can't wait for next year.

Also, FER-GP in fantasy F1. 19th :D
Congrats to us, we won!

Chris R

Like I said earlier, track needs to move the walls in, reduce runoff, and heighten curbs. Might have made the race a bit more exciting. Had this been race 2 of the season we would be comparing two different piles of dung. Hope the proposed changes to improve overtaking work (doubt they do much). Other than that refueling needs to come back to bring real pit strats back into the picture.

Glad Vettel won though, he deserved it.

Massa

Psychotext said:
True, but others managed overtakes, and given what was at stake he should have given it absolutely everything.

(Just to be clear, I specifically meant today rather than generally. I'm fully aware that he's usually above average at overtaking, though he's no Hamilton)

The Ferrari car has great aero but it's slower on straights. It becomes incredibly hard if not impossible to overtake a car like Renault (which was faster than Ferrari on straights) in these conditions on that particular track. When the better speed of his car actually came into play (corners) Petrov's car would practically become a wall, that's why Alonso desperately ran wide so many times.

The McLaren is very fast on straights, they came up with the F-duct idea and that's why they were overtaking like crazy earlier in the season. Today, Hamilton couldn't overtake Kubica.

Joba62x

Neo Member
I finished 21st in the sub-league and had a great time playing with you all, congrats on the hats!!

Only 119 days until we start to defend our championship!!!

Animal

Banned
Massa said:
The Ferrari car has great aero but it's slower on straights. It becomes incredibly hard if not impossible to overtake a car like Renault (which was faster than Ferrari on straights) in these conditions on that particular track. When the better speed of his car actually came into play (corners) Petrov's car would practically become a wall, that's why Alonso desperately ran wide so many times.

The McLaren is very fast on straights, they came up with the F-duct idea and that's why they were overtaking like crazy earlier in the season. Today, Hamilton couldn't overtake Kubica.

Um I was under the impression Alonso was running an engine for one race more than its expected lifetime and that he was running on much reduced power. The ferrari usually should eat a renault powered car on the straight.

Animal said:
Um I was under the impression Alonso was running an engine for one race more than its expected lifetime and that he was running on much reduced power. The ferrari usually should eat a renault powered car on the straight.

Engine in Alonso's car was on its scheduled last race.

Renault engine isn't down on power as most people think. Red Bull says it is(and it might have been early in the season) but the Red Bull car produces more down force than any of the other cars so its expected their top speed performance will suffer a bit.

Renault have developed their F-Duct to a point where its probably more efficient than even Mclaren's(Even HAM couldn't pass KUB though he tried). ALO was able to get close to PET on the tight corners but as soon as he got to PET's gearbox he would lose a lot of downforce and go off track. Rule changes that went into effect in 2009 were supposed to make the cars not as sensitive when following another but the double deck diffusers(and this year exhaust blown double deck diffusers) pretty much negated the rule changes.

pmj

Ugh, I'm seriously butthurt over this result. It's weird, Vettel comes across well in interviews, but then he sticks up his finger and I just want to strangle the guy. He just seems so smug.

I have issues, I know.

pmj said:
Ugh, I'm seriously butthurt over this result. It's weird, Vettel comes across well in interviews, but then he sticks up his finger and I just want to strangle the guy. He just seems so smug.

I have issues, I know.

Don't have a problem with drivers celebrating a win.

Senna and Prost used to look like they were posing for mugshots on the podium when they won.

Then there was Kimster(loved him)

Hewasveryboringandtalkedlikethis. HehadalotofgoodracesforFerraributdamnhewasboring. HedidawesomestuffoutsideF1butinF1heneverletcoolKimiout.

Animal

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:
Engine in Alonso's car was on its scheduled last race.

Renault engine isn't down on power as most people think. Red Bull says it is(and it might have been early in the season) but the Red Bull car produces more down force than any of the other cars so its expected their top speed performance will suffer a bit.

Renault have developed their F-Duct to a point where its probably more efficient than even Mclaren's(Even HAM couldn't pass KUB though he tried). ALO was able to get close to PET on the tight corners but as soon as he got to PET's gearbox he would lose a lot of downforce and go off track. Rule changes that went into effect in 2009 were supposed to make the cars not as sensitive when following another but the double deck diffusers(and this year exhaust blown double deck diffusers) pretty much negated the rule changes.

I guess I had it all wrong in my head :lol

Replaying those moments where alonso got close to petrov it becomes quite obvious that you're right.

Shaneus

pmj said:

I have issues, I know.
:lol I'm the same.

I'd seriously love to see someone with the personality of Valentino Rossi (who isn't a backmarker) in Formula 1. Pretty much everyone (Hammy and Button are okay) is boring as fuck or arrogant as fuck. I haven't seen any interviews with Kobayashi but I bet if he spoke half decent English he'd be just as awesome... his driving style indicates he'd be a cocky, outgoing bastard :lol

Shaneus said:

I'd seriously love to see someone with the personality of Valentino Rossi (who isn't a backmarker) in Formula 1. Pretty much everyone (Hammy and Button are okay) is boring as fuck or arrogant as fuck. I haven't seen any interviews with Kobayashi but I bet if he spoke half decent English he'd be just as awesome... his driving style indicates he'd be a cocky, outgoing bastard :lol
Well, Kamui left Japan at 17, hates raw fish, lives in Paris, has a Yorkshire Terrier named Alfred, and grew up wanting to be a comedian. It's a safe bet that he must be a pretty interesting fellow.

His five, or so, passes in Suzuka rank as a highlight this season.

TylerD

Shaneus said:

Well, here you go! Kamui interview after Japanese GP, voices have been made deeper for the luls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXZr3tQyGwg

megateto

I feel sorry for all of you

Those are the words Fernando said when he got into the Ferrari area. It seems he even cried, pretty rare for him.

Anyway, this is what he said to Petrov:

¿Por qué no has demostrado esta misma agresividad en todas las carreras?

Why didn't you show this degree of aggressiveness the whole season?

It wasn't that bad considering he had just lost the championship. He also praises Vettel and RBR.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
Ah, that sucks. Tilke really is a bigger prick than Alonso :lol

So, in summary: Congrats Vettel, fuck RBR (Horner and Newey mostly) and :( for Webber. Maybe next year the two drivers will be able to work together rather than Webber being a glorified test driver.

Oh, and fuck Tilke. Is there no-one else designing tracks now? Maybe my 2 year-old nephew could have a crack :lol
This sums up me feelings almost exactly! I am hating RBR, but can concede the Vettel has not done anything wrong since Turkey, and Webber has not driven very well the last 5 races. And fuck Tilke.

Shaneus

megateto said:
I feel sorry for all of you

Those are the words Fernando said when he got into the Ferrari area. It seems he even cried, pretty rare for him.

Anyway, this is what he said to Petrov:

It wasn't that bad considering he had just lost the championship. He also praises Vettel and RBR.
That's actually a pretty awesome thing to say to him.

One thing's for sure... there have been a shitload of surprises in 2010. From cars and drivers that should've been better, teams and drivers that are making names for themselves (anyone see Webber finishing in the top 3 points at the end of the year?) and a fair share of controversies (and boring-as-shit tracks).

Anyone know if there are going to be any rule changes for next year or is that usually decided closer to the start of the season?

Gabyskra

Banned
I'm happy that Vettel won as he deserved it and I was tired of commentators saying he was immature... It would have been easier for him if his engine held up throughout the season.

But I sure hope it's not the beginning of a new era à la Schumacher. This season was too interesting with that many people fighting for victory. I hope Kubica will have a great car and surprise everyone.

Britprog

Ferrari Press Release

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Form..._fantastic_season_ends_in_disappointment.aspx

There are some pundits in the sport who believe that when a championship is going down to the wire at the final race, then even if you are fighting one of the contenders for the title for a place in the race, you let him by. This was evidently not something that Petrov believed in and, well within the sporting regulations, he defended his position to the end.

I don't believe they said that in a press release, Ferrari are a bunch of jokers!!! :lol

Dilly

Banned
Psychotext said:

Well, Hamilton wasn't able to pass Kubica even though he was faster. That pretty much says it all, doesn't it? :p

Tworak

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

sorry, but, really, what the fuck are they thinking?

navanman

Money Money Money & Williams need it!

Nico Hulkenberg will not race for Williams in Formula 1 next season.

The 23-year-old German, who clinched his maiden pole position in Brazil a week ago - the team's first in five years, announced this morning that he will leave the team.

"I heavily regret that," Hulkenberg said in a statement. "I would have been happy to stay with Williams.

"I want to thank the team for a great time and I wish Williams all the best for the future."

Hulkenberg's manager, Willi Weber, says he is in discussions with other F1 teams and is sure that Hulkenberg will have a drive next season.

"I am negotiating with other teams," Weber said. "Nico will have his seat in F1 in 2011."
Hülkenberg’s manager Willi Weber said his driver will stay in F1 next year:

I am negotiating with other teams. Nico will have his seat in F1 in 2011.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Psychotext said:
I'm a big fan of Alonso, Webber and Vettel, but wanted Vettel to win the championship mostly by virtue of the fact that Alonso and Webber have been whiny / self entitled bitches for a significant portion of this year.

Hey, at least Alonso's consistent.

Psychotext said:
Also, I'm still amazed Vettel's team didn't tell him he was on to win the championship until after he crossed the line? That was crazy, no wonder he just about crumbled from the emotion once he was told.

It's the sensible call. The pressure/elation/whatever of finding out he was basically the world champion unless he drove into a wall could have been enough to... well, make him drive into a wall.

duckroll

Britprog said:
Ferrari Press Release

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Form..._fantastic_season_ends_in_disappointment.aspx

I don't believe they said that in a press release, Ferrari are a bunch of jokers!!! :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm just imagining the rage and bitterness that whoever was drafting that press release was feeling. All that jealousy, contempt, and frustration that Ferrari must be feeling collectively now over how they basically gave the championship away by being morons.... SO DELICIOUS.

Bitter tears for everyone! I think we have several gallons full! :D

navanman

2 interesting facts from this season I saw on twitter:

Vettel never lead the championship until he won the race yesterday.
No driver leading the championship won a race this season.

Britprog

Dilly said:
Oh Williams. Luckily Hulkenberg showed his talent, he deserves that F1 seat.

He does, but williams have major money problems. There is a chance they might go under. What is the good in keeping Hulkenberg if Williams go bust half way through the season???

Psychotext said:
True, though Petrov is no Kubica.

True, posters on this forum where saying before the race that Lewis will do anything to stop Alonso winning the WDC. If Kubica wasn't in his way I think Lewis would have really pressurised Vettel and who knows what could have happened.

I don’t he would have pass him tbh, but the point I’m trying to make was that LH was doing everything to win the race, he didn’t care that by beating SV he will help FA win the WDC.

He is a pure racer through and through and that why I am a big fan of LH.

moojito

I heard it said that the adjustable rear wing + kers will amount to a ~160bhp boost when used together. Brundle said it would definitely mean a lot more overtaking.

In one sense it's sad that it's come down to that, but on the other hand with the skill level all over the field getting so consistent, if you don't have this and one team has a slight technical advantage then it's pretty much all over for the season. You just spend all race hoping for a breakdown or accident, which is pretty much exactly what happened this season most of the time (fortunately we got a lot of both).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom