• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Heavenly Sword Thread - Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads

theBishop

Banned
Compass said:
I was thinking about starting HS tonight. I'm not expecting much, and have a feeling I'll be pleasantly surprised (so maybe that means now I am expecting much).

Just play it. Even if you don't like it, it won't take long to beat.

Zoc said:
HS's faults are numerous and have been gone over many times, but one thing about the game I think a lot of people misjudge is the combat. It's one of those games that doesn't require you to have fun playing it to finish it.

You can just pick a move or two, use them constantaly, finish the game and bore yourself to tears doing it. If you try to mix things up, though, use the mid-air movies, counter, explore the different combos, the charged-up moves with the O button, it's really quite enjoyable.

This is pretty much true. I enjoyed the game more on hell mode. It actually made you pay more attention to the stances and to the combos you use. Plus this game has an amazing final boss that is even more fun on hell mode.

What's the cheapest anyone has seen this recently? I'm a huge fan of 3rd person action games, and still want to play it. I'm not willing to part $60 still for something that is only a few hours long, but think it's worth a play through.

makingmusic476 said:
Still $60 in NA. SCEA isn't dropping prices on a damn thing.

I am so glad I caught it on Black Friday for 20$. I never bought it because of the rabid hate the game caught when it first released. Fantastic game, yes it's a bit short but what game isn't nowadays. It took me about 8 hours to beat the game, mostly because it took me forever on some of the bosses before i figured out what to do. User error.

carlosp

Banned
i am just at the last stage. I really don't understand why people do not mention this game more often in technical discussion. I have never ever seen so many people on the screen at once and there is absloutly no frame drops. I am playing on a 1080 51" samsung tv and i really don't see that much of screen tearing, even with 600 to 1000 chars on screen at once. This is the first time i am so impressed by a game (technicaly) since uncharted.

This game is so,...wait for it...awsome :D

I love this game because it can be played in one sitting for an all out action Sunday just like back in the 16-bit days.

There is no collect-a-thon BS, just play the stages, beat the boss, go to the next stage.. I like the way it is constructed

the FMVs are cool too, music awesome, voice talent is great

I don't care what people say about gameplay hours, I find a game like this to be way more replayable because you know you can have start to finish experience in one sitting like back in the old days.

Norml

Bearillusion said:
Some devs (hats off to them) value a locked framerate.

I didn't find it to be any worse then Uncharted and it sure didn't bother me one bit.

I would definitely rather have a great looking game then care about framerate.

Thrakier

Norml said:
I didn't find it to be any worse then Uncharted and it sure didn't bother me one bit.

I would definitely rather have a great looking game then care about framerate.

lol at your first sentence, lol at your second sentence.

Paznos

Bought this game from Amazon thru target for 14.95 a couple of months ago I still need to play it, also got Folklore for 19.95 at Walmart.

Thrakier

Norml said:
sorry that is how I saw it. Actually Uncharted was much more a downer in framerate as it came much later.

Wat? Did we play the same game? I hate bad framerates with a passion and I don't think that Uncharted hat any major frame drops. Please, post your opinion in the uncharted thread to see if any other people had the same problems. There is screen tearing though.

As for HS, it's still playable, but it has low fps, like GTA for example. That said, it's still playable, although the whole experience would be much smoother and nicer with a better framerate. But I still liked the game.

I remember framerate and tearing problems galore.

It takes one hell of a game for me overlook those things, but Heavenly Sword won me over entirely. Beautiful, beautiful game.

sca2511

I just beat the game and I thought it was fantastic. The acting in the game is incredible and the graphics were great. There was a few screen tearing sections, but it did not affect the game's experience. Combat was pretty sweet, story was good overall, and the QTE were just fine. I WISH there would be a sequel to this game. awesome awesome.

carlosp

Banned
sca2511 said:
I just beat the game and I thought it was fantastic. The acting in the game is incredible and the graphics were great. There was a few screen tearing sections, but it did not affect the game's experience. Combat was pretty sweet, story was good overall, and the QTE were just fine. I WISH there would be a sequel to this game. awesome awesome.

I wished the QTE were more like in GoW which means you need to press different buttons every time. It was to easy in HS.

Norml

Thrakier said:
Wat? Did we play the same game? I hate bad framerates with a passion and I don't think that Uncharted hat any major frame drops. Please, post your opinion in the uncharted thread to see if any other people had the same problems. There is screen tearing though.

As for HS, it's still playable, but it has low fps, like GTA for example. That said, it's still playable, although the whole experience would be much smoother and nicer with a better framerate. But I still liked the game.

Was meaning the screen tearing. framerate was never a problem for me with both of them but Uncharted screen tearing bothered me more.

Thrakier

Norml said:
Was meaning the screen tearing. framerate was never a problem for me with both of them but Uncharted screen tearing bothered me more.

Screen Tearing is there for both games although I could swear it's worse for HS. But yeah, the framerate in HS feels more like 25FPS therefore Uncharted has steady 30FPS and feels very smooth and playable. I enjoyed the cinematic and graphics aspect of HS a lot more than the core gameplay, which really isn't something positive when you think about it. For me it's still an 8 / 10 with a lot of wasted potential in the gameplay department.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Every time i read posts about frame-rate and tearing i feel blessed that i don't really notice them until it gets real bad. I still haven't seen any tearing in any game to date.:D

carlosp

Banned
NinjaFridge said:
Every time i read posts about frame-rate and tearing i feel blessed that i don't really notice them until it gets real bad. I still haven't seen any tearing in any game to date.:D

you should visit a doctor ;)

Anyways i have just finished the game on hell modus. One last point i really liked about the game was the end boss. These days i really miss the super end boss fights from last gen and the gen before. I want a hard (but still fair), long, multi episodic, epic end boss fight. A lot of games do not offer that anymore, for what reason ever. I am thinking about RS:FoM and Uncharted which really disappoint me. DMC 4 had some nice boss fights as well but other then that a lot of devs got too lazy about the end boss fight, which is a pity. I am looking forward to RE5 and GoW3 :D

I recently played through this game for the first time. It's short and fun, and I enjoyed the cutscenes a lot. It's a decent God-of-War-alike, but overall I prefer DMC4. Blasphemy?

DrPirate

Banned
Dante said:
I'd love a trophy patch for this.

Shame NT has no intentions of doing one.

It's not up to NT.

According to their official forums, it's up to Sony Cambridge (or any Sony company) to code it ad release it themselves.

yurinka

I loved the game, even it has huge frame rate / screen tearing problems. All the other aspects of the game were awesome. Would by day one a sequel. It wouldn't be developed in a prototype devkit / hw console specification, so I think they would fix these issues.

A Trophies patch would be cool, too.

NinjaFridge said:
Maybe it's because you only played 8/16 bit non-HD games
Just kidding ;)

Dante

DrPirate said:
It's not up to NT.

According to their official forums, it's up to Sony Cambridge (or any Sony company) to code it ad release it themselves.

Well that's actually good to hear....Here's hoping :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Loved this game. I had rented it, but I'm always on the lookout to get it cheap. I definitely want to play it again.

Menaged

Finished the game today, and I must say it was a great experience.
The game deliverce on all fronts - graphics, sound, gameplay and presentaion.
I really enjoyed the combat. It was so fun comboing the enemy and then stop, wait, and counter with a slick, brutal move.

The last boss fight was the highlight for me. It was so epic and fun all the way thorugh.

The game's length is actually a positive for me. It took me aroung 6-7 hours I think, and that's fine by me, especialy since I paid 10 pounds for it.

Next up: The Darkness (and the Bioshock!)

Tenks

Its funny this thread popped up to the top.

Anyways I started playing Heavenly Sword last night. Graphically it looks abysmal by today's standards but the gameplay seems pretty solid. I'm pretty anxious to finish it up.

Top Bottom