• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Heavenly Sword Thread - Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads

Tenks said:
Its funny this thread popped up to the top.

Anyways I started playing Heavenly Sword last night. Graphically it looks abysmal by today's standards but the gameplay seems pretty solid. I'm pretty anxious to finish it up.
What? :O

Menaged

Well, I want to play The Darkness first beacuse I know Bioshock is the better game. I want to go up in quality :p

About the graphics - what?!
The game is gorgeous. The models are so detailed and the lightning is amazing. The only annoying thing (beside the awful framerate) is the pixelated and flickering shadows, especialy after playing Uncharted.

Tenks

The out-of-gameplay cinema looks amazing. Character models and all. The baddies and in-gameplay, however, looks horrible. Especially since I recently played DMC4 which looks significantly better.

Tenks said:
The out-of-gameplay cinema looks amazing. Character models and all. The baddies and in-gameplay, however, looks horrible. Especially since I recently played DMC4 which looks significantly better.
Ah, yeah the enemies for the mosyt part(Not special characters) are pretty weak compared to new stuff. The one thing that game needed was a solid combat engine like DMC, NG, GoW. It's unfortunate and I feel bad for Ninja Theory for all the hate they got, and with Sony in trouble financially, I doubt they'll throw money at a sequel any time soon, if ever.

Menaged said:
Well, I want to play The Darkness first beacuse I know Bioshock is the better game. I want to go up in quality :p

The game is gorgeous. The models are so detailed and the lightning is amazing. The only annoying thing (beside the awful framerate) is the pixelated and flickering shadows, especialy after playing Uncharted.

so you think The Darkness is better then Heavenly Sword :eek: are you mad

Tenks

I also kind of dig the aftertouch used in the game and I generally hate anything sixaxis. The cannon event was pretty fun actually.

Menaged

jump_button said:
so you think The Darkness is better then Heavenly Sword :eek: are you mad

Heh, not really.
I was just in the mood for a solid action game and HS was right there. I still need to play Sly 3 in between (sorry for derailing).

Tenks said:
I also kind of dig the aftertouch used in the game and I generally hate anything sixaxis. The cannon event was pretty fun actually.

Yeah, the motion controls were nice and intuitive. I still have a bit of a hard time flying arrows directly into enemy's heads, but it's still great fun. It was also nice to flick the controller in order to jump or recover.

Maggot9

Banned
Menaged said:

The Darkness is better than Bioshock and Heavenly Sword combined

Aladuf

Banned
Tenks said:
I loved the sixaxis in Heavenly Sword too, it took a bit to get used to but that shit was pretty satisfying once you got it down.

Maggot9 said:
The Darkness is better than Bioshock and Heavenly Sword combined
wat

RpgN

I finished the game today, absolutely great. It gave me a wow factor, something that truly can only be done on HD. It's sad we won't see a sequel :(

Blader

This game is complete and utter bullshit.

I'm up to the final boss now--which is a ridiculous exercise in attrition in of itself--but the design of the whole game has been so awful. If you get hit once, you're fucked because you're now open to 3-4 more attacks and can't roll out of the way. Any section that used sixaxis is awful. And the story has been so laughably bad, that I've actually been skipping cutscenes, which is something I never do.

On the final boss fight itself...well, like I said, this is bullshit. Hitting the fucker does so little damage, dodging his attacks are always 50/50 because no matter where I roll, his orange/red attacks always seem to find me. And whenever I'm low on health, he's sure to break out those fireballs, and God forbid you're hit by one, because then you're finished. Oh, and I love the beginning, where you're surrounded by 1000 other assholes, who will block your view and make sure that even if you intend on hitting the boss, you'll end up hitting one of these nobodies instead.

Is there an easy mode I can switch to? I just want to be done with this game, but the idea of having to fight this guy again is giving me a headache.

Update: I've beaten it! Thank God. I guess reflecting those energy bolts back at him made the final fight easier.

neight

Banned
Just finished this. Wow that was quite the experience. The gameplay was a clone of God of War and it was short but what made the game so memorable is the acting and music. Especially Bohan(played by Andy Serkis) and Flying Fox were a treat to see onscreen.

Tenks

I'm moving slowly thru the game but I'm a bit over halfway done:

I'll start this off with a GAF confession. I think God of War 1/2 are highly, highly overrated games. I think Heavenly Sword in pretty much every aspect combat-wise far surpasses GoW1/2. However HS pales in comparison to Devil May Cry. Nariko feels responsive and intuitive. I really like the controls and the stance switching. Whoever said that if you get hit once and you're fucked its just plain wrong. Firstly since baddies move so freaking slow you have to really not be paying attention to get swarmed and hit a shitload. The enemies choreograph their moves you are given plenty of time to roll around and get out of the way. Similar to GoW2's Titan Hammer I find heavy stance to be a bit overpowered. It is still really fast and easy to evade attacks and I use it far more than I use speed stance.

Some aspects of the game are already feeling archaic. Having to pound X a bunch of times to open a gate and hitting buttons when it randomly pops up during sequence seem outdated. Which is natural, it was a launch PS3 game after all.

Graphically it looks decent. The enemies' textures look like absolute ass. Most of the the cut scene models look like they were slathered with a layer of Vaseline but I would still say it looks pretty good.

I'm looking forward to finishing the game and overall it has been a really nice experience thus far.

ACE 1991

Tenks said:

Really? I just was about to make a post about how infuriating this section is. I just started the game and am really digging the gameplay, but the sixaxis stuff is really not doing it for me. The only game that I've seen do sixaxis right has been flower.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ACE 1991 said:
Really? I just was about to make a post about how infuriating this section is. I just started the game and am really digging the gameplay, but the sixaxis stuff is really not doing it for me. The only game that I've seen do sixaxis right has been flower.
Don't forget Folklore.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
ACE 1991 said:

I'm the opposite, I am completely bored by the game. I like the story, I like the cutscenes, I like how all of the facial capture stuff looks, and I'm LOVING the after touch segments, but I'm totally bored with combat. Move, a bunch of guys come at you, fight, move, a bunch of guys come at you, fight, over and over. It seems very empty to me. The Kai parts are fucking great though. I love using that bow and arrow to take dudes out with after touch.

I'm on the record as being a motion control hater too, but I'm finding those parts to be the most fun. They just did a great job tailor making those parts to the sixaxis controls.

It really is too bad the combat is so boring. No jump button, and no real block button a ruining the game for me. Having to change stances to block the different types of attacks just sucks. It's so counter-intuitive and tough to learn, that it's making me dislike the combat.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Blader5489 said:
This game is complete and utter bullshit.

I'm up to the final boss now--which is a ridiculous exercise in attrition in of itself--but the design of the whole game has been so awful. If you get hit once, you're fucked because you're now open to 3-4 more attacks and can't roll out of the way. Any section that used sixaxis is awful. And the story has been so laughably bad, that I've actually been skipping cutscenes, which is something I never do.
On the final boss fight itself...well, like I said, this is bullshit. Hitting the fucker does so little damage, dodging his attacks are always 50/50 because no matter where I roll, his orange/red attacks always seem to find me. And whenever I'm low on health, he's sure to break out those fireballs, and God forbid you're hit by one, because then you're finished. Oh, and I love the beginning, where you're surrounded by 1000 other assholes, who will block your view and make sure that even if you intend on hitting the boss, you'll end up hitting one of these nobodies instead.

Is there an easy mode I can switch to? I just want to be done with this game, but the idea of having to fight this guy again is giving me a headache.

Update: I've beaten it! Thank God. I guess reflecting those energy bolts back at him made the final fight easier.

disagree

Lothars

I just picked this up recently and I really like it but im only on chapter 2 so I have some time to go but so far im enjoying though Kai's first mission was messed up for me at first until I got use to it.

Aenima

drakesfortune said:
Having to change stances to block the different types of attacks just sucks. It's so counter-intuitive and tough to learn, that it's making me dislike the combat.
Once you mastered this, you'll own them all with great and fun counter attacks. This game is all about counter attacking, i killed the last boss only with counter attacks. :p Most of the weak guys can go flying with some simply combos too. You just have to lear to fight. Is not a brainless button masher.

The combat system was the thing i enjoyed most, i played alot the demo before i got the game so i started got used to the combos and counter attack system, when i played the game, i was already doing some sick moves.

DigiMish

For people having trouble with the sixaxis steering - turn that off, it will make for a much more enjoyable experience.

And for the final boss, all you need to do is just reflect the energy balls he throws back at him.

IrishNinja

i thought it was a great game for say $30. presentation's grand, and yeah its short but i found it memorable (i dig the martial arts setting, though). still sad we're not seeing a sequel, or even trophies here.

Kittonwy

Banned
Y2Kev said:
God, I want a sequel to this :(

Sony should give it to the GoW team to do on the off years.

Not that Santa Monica would have an "off year" but they would probably give the game a FUCKING JUMP BUTTON.
Indifferent2.gif

ACE 1991

DigiMish said:
For people having trouble with the sixaxis steering - turn that off, it will make for a much more enjoyable experience.

And for the final boss, all you need to do is just reflect the energy balls he throws back at him.

I had no idea you could turn off the sixaxis controls :lol

Does one do this in the controls menu?

tanod

when is my burrito
I finally got the chance to play NG: Sigma and did so twice. Once on easy and once on normal.

Now I'm going back to Heavenly Sword to finally do my play through on hell mode.

My opinion of this game has changed so much since the first time I played it. I'd say from the perspective of somebody who's played through Ninja Gaiden that Heavenly is inferior in every way to Sigma, except for graphics and sound quality. The cutscenes and the main character designs are still pretty amazing and it's a shame we'll never see a sequel. Also a shame that we haven't gotten trophies for this and other old PS3 games.

Upon playing every iteration in every major action game series from the last two generations, it's very clear that the combat designer was in waaaayyyyyyy over their head or simply did not have anywhere close to the resources they needed to get it done right. Not to say that it's bad because it is good, but it's obvious where the budget went here.

Also: soooooo much better without motion controls.

ACE 1991

tanod said:
I finally got the chance to play NG: Sigma and did so twice. Once on easy and once on normal.

Now I'm going back to Heavenly Sword to finally do my play through on hell mode.

My opinion of this game has changed so much since the first time I played it. I'd say from the perspective of somebody who's played through Ninja Gaiden that Heavenly is inferior in every way to Sigma, except for graphics and sound quality. The cutscenes and the main character designs are still pretty amazing and it's a shame we'll never see a sequel. Also a shame that we haven't gotten trophies for this and other old PS3 games.

Upon playing every iteration in every major action game series from the last two generations, it's very clear that the combat designer was in waaaayyyyyyy over their head or simply did not have anywhere close to the resources they needed to get it done right. Not to say that it's bad because it is good, but it's obvious where the budget went here.

Also: soooooo much better without motion controls.

I've always wanted to get into the NG series (I played through Dragon Sword on the ds if that counts) but have found the apparent difficulty too daunting to even attempt. How is the game on "easy?" Approachable?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
tanod said:

for me the problem in the combat system is the stupid Stances and no guard button , I think if they mapped the different Stances on the D-pad so you hit up , down left or right to change the combat style and put guard button on R1 or L1 instead it will be way way better .

there is so much potentials here , but Ninja theory weren't qualified to a 20 million budget game with big story like this , I hope Sony let Santa Monica B-team or Cambridge to make a sequel .

tanod

when is my burrito
ACE 1991 said:
I've always wanted to get into the NG series (I played through Dragon Sword on the ds if that counts) but have found the apparent difficulty too daunting to even attempt. How is the game on "easy?" Approachable?

Yes, it's approachable.

I'm an action game vet and I had to do my first run on easy just because the lack of a learning curve can make the game incredibly frustrating for the 1st quarter of it. If I get too frustrated with something in a game, it's enough to make me want to quit, not press on.

A lot of parts in the game can still be annoying just because some of the level design with checkpoints and saves is still very much last gen.

More Tips on NG Sigma:

1) Watch a couple youtube videos about ultimate techniques. Ultimate techniques are a huge piece of the combat structure in the game and the game does nothing to train you on the mechanics of it.

2) Ninpo is basically useless but it does give you a chance for breathing room if you're overwhelmed.

3) I used just the dragon sword and Vigoorian flails on my first playthrough. Upgrade the sword as soon as possible.

4) Sticking to the dragon sword alone will not cut it on any difficulty higher than easy. You need to get very familiar with the Flails and the Dabiliharo too.

5) I always wear the armlet that increases attack strength. It's got a really nice damage bonus and makes the bosses much easier.

6) Don't be afraid to use items. It's not like Devil May Cry where there's a huge penalty for it.

7) If you jump in the air, arrows and shurikens auto-aim. Works great for horsemen and flying enemies.

I enjoyed this more than sigma...mainly because the game is so much more coherent from a narrative and visual perspective and the bloody double boss fights in NG frustrated me to hell...I should have played on Ninja Dog setting hehe. Playing God of War recently and I preferred it to both....

Woo-Fu

Banned
Blader5489 said:

It wasn't a matter of making it easier, it was a matter of making it possible. He is just another trick boss in a decades long series of trick bosses from one game or another. The problem in this case is that the mechanic---reflecting---is one that you don't have to use in the rest of the game even once to proceed.

Having gotten to this fight without once using block I didn't even think of using it, much less using it to reflect his attacks. Made the fight impossible until I finally admitted defeat and googled it.

All this talk of reflecting...I just beat him the old school way. Hit him till he stopped moving, and dodged the fireballs. Man up punks.

Kittonwy

Banned
Totobeni said:
for me the problem in the combat system is the stupid Stances and no guard button , I think if they mapped the different Stances on the D-pad so you hit up , down left or right to change the combat style and put guard button on R1 or L1 instead it will be way way better .

there is so much potentials here , but Ninja theory weren't qualified to a 20 million budget game with big story like this , I hope Sony let Santa Monica B-team or Cambridge to make a sequel .

Santa Monica doesn't have a B-Team, Cambridge is a B-Team I guess but they haven't done anything truly significant for awhile now. It's just that Ninja Theory doesn't get what's good game controls and mechanics and what isn't, animations NEVER come first, freedom and controls HAVE TO, no jump button was absolutely UNACCEPTABLE because it completely takes away vertical evasion of any kind of ground attacks by enemies, so was passive blocking without a guard button, or passive ANYTHING for that matter because it takes control and involvement away from the player.

Fundamentally their thinking was incorrect, the actual gameplay should always come before story and cinematics, DeanoC, Nao and the rest of the tech guys did an amazing job with the engine, the art guys did an amazing job with the environments but the game design guys simply fucked it all up by making navigating the environment and controlling what the character can do a 2D affair, making the game essentially a corridor action game and forcing the player to deal with moving in a 2D plane only, some teams "get it", some don't, and Ninja Theory belongs with the latter.
Indifferent2.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Of course the mechanics of HS are "inferior" to NG...they're not really the same type of game. And if it were even a question, HS is half (well, quarter, lol) framerate of NG.

NG1 is a really superb action ADVENTURE game with great interlocking level design and a real sense of progression. NG2 isn't, so I don't compare that to HS. But for what HS is-- cinematic game with defensive-based simplistic combat and absurd production values (and an engine that can't quite hack it), it's really good.

And I miss games like this...short, highly replayable, gorgeous, fun. It's like these games never made it over from the PS2 gen, and those that did are seriously technically flawed, overpriced, or bombas.

And Santa Monica's newbies should be forced to make an HS game before they are allowed onto GoW. It'll be fun!

I can't believe sony completely gave this IP the cold shoulder. It's soooo rich. I mean it has a big titted female with red hair kicking ass. Why is this being Lair'd?

edit: more bitching about the jump button. it doesn't make ANY FUCKING SENSE KITTOWNY THE GAME IS NOT DESIGNED WITH A JUMP BUTTON MY GOD

I mean would you rather play this or would you rather play Wolverine?

Oni Jazar

I still think Heavenly Sword has the best use of motion control out there. Even better then Flower. Guiding arrows & cannon fire = Win.

Y2Kev said:
Of course the mechanics of HS are "inferior" to NG...they're not really the same type of game. And if it were even a question, HS is half (well, quarter, lol) framerate of NG.

NG1 is a really superb action ADVENTURE game with great interlocking level design and a real sense of progression. NG2 isn't, so I don't compare that to HS. But for what HS is-- cinematic game with defensive-based simplistic combat and absurd production values (and an engine that can't quite hack it), it's really good.

And I miss games like this...short, highly replayable, gorgeous, fun. It's like these games never made it over from the PS2 gen, and those that did are seriously technically flawed, overpriced, or bombas.

And Santa Monica's newbies should be forced to make an HS game before they are allowed onto GoW. It'll be fun!

I can't believe sony completely gave this IP the cold shoulder. It's soooo rich. I mean it has a big titted female with red hair kicking ass. Why is this being Lair'd?

edit: more bitching about the jump button. it doesn't make ANY FUCKING SENSE KITTOWNY THE GAME IS NOT DESIGNED WITH A JUMP BUTTON MY GOD

I too am really sad there will be no sequel to this game. I don't understand why not as the game actually sold pretty well (0ver 100,000 copies in the first month IIRC).

The game was a lot of fun, simplistic but deep combat, and the best cut scenes I have seen in gaming (andy serkis FTW).

Y2Kev

Tom Penny said:
Why isn't this game cheap yet?
Sony stopped printing copies so demand is sort of artificially high. You can find a used copy for 30 bucks at a GameStop if you don't mind that. But yeah, the price is abnormal for a game that "bombed" and was disowned two years ago.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Tom Penny said:
Why isn't this game cheap yet?
QFT. I was just at the mall and I saw it for $69.99 Canadian new.. EB has it for $54.99 used... What the hell?? It's 2 years old and sold like shit!

It should be $20 bucks or less. Uncharted, another "second party" Sony game came out later and is $25-30 bucks now... What's going on with HS? I'm sure it cost a lot of money and some financial reason keeps it from dropping, but get real.. It's not gonna sell at that price!!

Y2Kev said:
Sony stopped printing copies so demand is sort of artificially high.

all the EBs in Vancouver have like 10-20 used copies and many retailers have new copies for full price. How is demand high in any sense of the word?

Kittonwy

Banned
Y2Kev said:

That is the problem. It should have been designed with a jump button, jumping on enemies, jumping off walls, jumping over groundwave attacks, jumping and slashing down to take out an enemy, all of that not possible for the player to manually initiate because there isn't a jump button. The environments end up being essentially narrow 2D corridors with all the vertical space unused and non-interactive.
Indifferent2.gif

Y2Kev

It's not second party. Sony owns Naughty Dog.

all the EBs in Vancouver have like 10-20 used copies and many retailers have new copies for full price. How is demand high in any sense of the word?

Well, like, I don't know what the EBs in Vancouver are like, but it sort of makes sense that the price would drop over the course of two years if demand was not there. UNLESS it was price protected by Sony. But LAIR came out a few weeks prior and that certainly isn't being protected.

I dunno, it's my only explanation.

Top Bottom