• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
rhfb said:
I think I'll be getting a new laptop at some point in the near future, depending on how my job prospects turn out. My old dell isn't cutting it anymore :lol Thing is, seems the best gaming notebooks come with an older gpu like the 9800 series or 3xxx series versus the 4870 blah blah blah.
Well, the Mobility Radeon 48xx series is supposed to be hitting over the next 3-6 weeks, so we're hoping that they both exceed the performance of the 9800M GTX, while coming in at a price point that forces Nvidia to rethink its high-end mobile gaming line.

SRG01

rhfb said:
I don't mean a 4k gaming laptop with dual SLI, ect, just something with a nice cpu, 4gb+ ram, 7200rpm drive, and a good gpu. Last laptop and current laptop is a "gaming" laptop, but I was able to buy for under 900$.

In that case, you're probably aiming for a... 9500GT, which should be on par with the 8600GT from a few generations ago. You could aim for something higher, but you'd be looking at a pretty toasty notebook by then. I'm not even sure whether they released the 9600 on notebooks and skipped right to the 9800.

RiverBed

Banned
it wpuld be great if someone could list a few PC hardware sites that ship internationally. I only know of TigerDirect.com.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
godhandiscen said:
The comeback was good while it lasted ATI.

Well, after reading a bit more... The memory is the deal breaker. As long as you don't trip that it all seems good. It's pertty much on par with the 4870x2.
After further reading I wonder if they will not support it like the 9800gx2 and only have it as a place-holder.
Either way it's still an equivalent card with the pro's that nVidia offers.

CES can't come soon enough.

godhandiscen said:
I NEED BENCHES. 4870x2 vs this baby.
Media Preview Blackout was lifted today.

13zpe81.jpg

207w74p.jpg

8e6d3tl.jpg

codwaw-1600.jpg
codwaw-2560.jpg

farcry2-1600.jpg
farcry2-2560.jpg

wic-2560.jpg
wic-2560-bar.jpg

PC Perspective - http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=651&type=expert&pid=1
guru3D - http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-295-preview/1
[H] - http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU5OSw3LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

You might be wondering where some of the staple benchmarks are in our review like Crysis (or Crysis: Warhead), Bioshock, GRID and others - they are coming. NVIDIA didn't give us much time with this card so I went with the most recent and relevant titles sitting closest at hand on our test bench.
Unfinished model + Beta drivers - But currently quieter than a 4870x2, and "reasonable" power comsumption. Should be available for <$499
THAT'S HARDBALL :lol

Overall, except in cases of 4xAA or 8xAA at 2560x resolution it maintains a lead in the 4870x2 in almost every game. nVidia said something about a driver bug, but I wouldn't be surprised if the GDDR3 keeled finally at that massive amount of data to move.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
GPU Roadmap

f_120am_3ac8dbf.jpg

Rumors of the 5870x2 being stacked 40nm chips. Holy shit.
I love the insane things these people make. It's all incredible.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
K.Jack said:
With Nvidia cards, you go into the NV control panel and set the flat-panel scaling to 'Do not scale'.
Cheers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
pizzaguysrevenge said:
Why does the 4870X2 dominate at high resolutions?

It does well since it's RAM is fucking fast and nVidia gimped their GTX 295 a bit in the memory department.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
rhfb said:
I don't mean a 4k gaming laptop with dual SLI, ect, just something with a nice cpu, 4gb+ ram, 7200rpm drive, and a good gpu. Last laptop and current laptop is a "gaming" laptop, but I was able to buy for under 900$.
What's you budget and what screen size are you looking for?

Chris R

xabre said:
I don't understand why people go this route. Unless you actually need a really powerful laptop for some reason simply get a basic laptop that does your word processing, internet, email etc and then get a proper gaming rig at home. You'd still pay less or equal at most than you would for a fully maxed out laptop and you have a far more capable, and future expandable, gaming machine as well.
I already have a very powerful desktop that runs everything I play at max res and all the aa and af I want to throw at it. I also like to be able to take my gaming with me, and play in other places in my house, things not possible with my already built desktop.

What's you budget and what screen size are you looking for?
When I make a purchase (4-6 months away, min), its going to be a 15"+ screen at 1440x900+. My current 17" has 1920x1200 and I don't know if I could live with less screen.

Zerox20

I cannot wait for my i7!!

The processor looks awesome, I am very excited to upgrade to the i7, should blow AMD out of the water, and I used to be such a HUGE AMD fan. I am sure AMD will answer though.

SRG01

Hazaro said:
It's a placeholder until 40nm, just like the 9800gx2 was. It's still matching it.

I do realize that. However, there's a considerable lack of a market at that price point. Their focus should be on a single-card sub-$200 solution based off their current generation. And, as it was pointed out earlier, inclusion of GDDR3 prevents the card from being used to its full potential in the first place.

rhfb said:
When I make a purchase (4-6 months away, min), its going to be a 15"+ screen at 1440x900+. My current 17" has 1920x1200 and I don't know if I could live with less screen.

15" with 1440x900 is the sweet spot, imo.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SRG01 said:
I do realize that. However, there's a considerable lack of a market at that price point. Their focus should be on a single-card sub-$200 solution based off their current generation.
It's there for it to be there. Maybe their engineers are bored. They know some people will buy it.

It's coming.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Awesome thread!

I've been thinking about building another pc, and need advise from GAFers. So when I begin my project please help me!!

First question: ATi or Nvdia? Because I've been the ATi guy but I hear good things about Nvdia. And wanna try something new,should I?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
So how much does a ground up machine that can run Crysis at 30+ fps cost now? I'm trying to convince my friend to upgrade from his shitty school laptop but he swears it will bankrupt him. Last I heard we had a setup for under $600 and that was back in March.

Shaheed79 said:
So how much does a ground up machine that can run Crysis at 30+ fps cost now? I'm trying to convince my friend to upgrade from his shitty school laptop but he swears it will bankrupt him. Last I heard we had a setup for under $600 and that was back in March.

I'd also like to know this, Crysis at 30fps minimum is what I'm looking for.

Salazar

My brother just picked up one of the 2.66 Ghz imacs. He could care less about playing games on it, but for curiosity's sake - how will it go ?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Honestly I would be a little cautious about upgrading 3 years into the console cycle if you already have a PC that runs Crysis pretty well. In only 2 years the next-gen consoles will be revealed and the technology in those home consoles will dictate the status quo for most of the PC games for that generation. I usually wait 2 years into a console cycle before buying a new PC because by that point you will be able to build a great gaming PC more powerful than the home consoles at a much cheaper price. This is the best way to stay on a 5 year cycle while guaranteeing that you can run all the games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shaheed79 said:
Honestly I would be a little cautious about upgrading 3 years into the console cycle if you already have a PC that runs Crysis pretty well. In only 2 years the next-gen consoles will be revealed and the technology in those home consoles will dictate the status quo for most of the PC games for that generation. I usually wait 2 years into a console cycle before buying a new PC because by that point you will be able to build a great gaming PC more powerful than the home consoles at a much cheaper price. This is the best way to stay on a 5 year cycle while guaranteeing that you can run all the games.
Mmm, that's the way I look at it too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is overclocking a Q6600 2.4GHz to 3.4GHz just on air within the realm of possibility?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
II VerTigo II said:
Awesome thread!

I've been thinking about building another pc, and need advise from GAFers. So when I begin my project please help me!!

First question: ATi or Nvdia? Because I've been the ATi guy but I hear good things about Nvdia. And wanna try something new,should I?
There has never been a better time to choose ATI tbh.

Cday

Banned
Salazar said:
Intriguing. Any chance of the big RTS games (released and upcoming) working out ok on it ?

(Yes, my naivete is total).

Get Company of Heroes. It'll run perfect on it. I don't think you'll be able to max World In Conflict or Starcraft 2 when it comes out but you'll be able to run them.

Rez>You said:
Is overclocking a Q6600 2.4GHz to 3.4GHz just on air within the realm of possibility?

Q6600 are Kentsfield (65 nm) and most can get to 3.2-3.4ghz but OCing is always luck of the draw. Some Q6600 can hit 3.6ghz easily but others crap out a lot lower than that.

Q9000 series are Yorkfield (45 nm) and many can get to 3.8-4ghz on beefy air.

Core i7 is Nehalem and can also hit 4ghz and some people are getting 4.2ghz on Core i7 Extreme 965, but you'll be paying for that kind of overclocking prowess.

A lot of gamers are finding Yorkfield a better value than Nehalem because in many games there is very little, if any, performance difference clock-for-clock between Yorkfield and Nehalem. There is little reason to stay with Kentsfield now unless you are dropping a Q6600 into an existing motherboard you have now for a quick quad-core shot in the arm. If you're buying a new motherboard you should probably go with Yorkfield.

At some point in every game except GTAIV PC you will become GPU limited no matter what you do, any more CPU performance above that point will not be of any use for games.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Unknown Soldier said:
Good post.

Q6600 largely is determined on batch. G0 stepping, the most recent ones, hit 3.6Ghz fairly easily on 1.3-1.35V (65nm). Most can do 3.0 or 3.2 which is where diminishing returns on fps gain happen.

Shaheed79 said:

Went out to Newegg and just built this:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136218
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$74.99

ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814121272
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$20.00 Instant
$30.00 Mail-in Rebate
$169.99
$149.99

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817341012
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$25.00 Instant
$30.00 Mail-in Rebate
$79.99
$54.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
Item #: N82E16820231122
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
-$10.00 Instant
$49.99
$39.99

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116488
Return Policy: Software Return Policy
$99.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115037
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811129021
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

Total $664.93

The Wolfdale chip + Antec case were combo'ed for a discount. You can sub in other parts but that rig right there will get you 30+FPS on Crysis just fine.

a1m

Banned
Rez>You said:
Well it depends on the stone itself but usually it's possible. You'll need a good cooler though if you're aiming for somewhere near the ~3.4Ghz

Zerox20 said:
I cannot wait for my i7!!

The processor looks awesome, I am very excited to upgrade to the i7, should blow AMD out of the water, and I used to be such a HUGE AMD fan. I am sure AMD will answer though.
AMD has already answered, the new Phenom II which will be out jan 2009 ;)

Looking at that list of parts, its probably doable witha $500-$550 budget if you really need to skimp but want decent Crysis performance.

Honestly in terms of CPUs I strongly encourage going the E5200 OCed to 3.4ghz+ with a $20 aftermarket cooler route. That right there will get rid of any CPU bottleneck in a sngle GPU rig, spending anything more in this area will not net you anymore real world performance gains so why bother? Save your cash for future upgrades I say. The E5200 doesn't half fly once overclocked let me tell you.

If you can afford a 45nm quad, then by all means ignore this, as there will be a genuine advantage of going this route in the form of better non gaming performance (rendering, encoding and the like) and (dare I say it) better "future proofing".

In terms of the ultimate GPU bang for buck, the 4830 has to be the current king of the hill by a considerable mile. At a ridiculous $85 after MIR you're getting way more performance than you would ever hope to expect and yes this is a perfect 30fps Crysis high/very high card at ~720p resolutions.

Totally agree on the GPU part. ^^^ The mid-range ATI cards as of late are pretty awesome with as much value you're getting per dollar.

Edit: Apparently Newegg doesn't stock the E5200 regularly but other vendors do. Disregard my comments. :D

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm thinking of a second 4850 card to complement my current one for a crossfire setup. My PSU is only 500W though and I am not certain that may be enough. Any insight would be appreciated, especially if it is even worth it or holding out for the 5000 line?

Brandon F said:
I'm thinking of a second 4850 card to complement my current one for a crossfire setup. My PSU is only 500W though and I am not certain that may be enough. Any insight would be appreciated, especially if it is even worth it or holding out for the 5000 line?
Hey Brandon,

what type of PSU do you have? If you have two PCI-E connectors you should be good. However it also depends on how many hard drives, dvd drivers etc. you have power to.

Also--- remember single GPU is the best solution unless your gaming above 1920x1200 so I would at least wait until we hear what ATI has to counter with the HD5000 series.

Brandon F

VictimOfGrief said:
Hey Brandon,

what type of PSU do you have? If you have two PCI-E connectors you should be good. However it also depends on how many hard drives, dvd drivers etc. you have power to.

Also--- remember single GPU is the best solution unless your gaming above 1920x1200 so I would at least wait until we hear what ATI has to counter with the HD5000 series.

I decided not to build my PC this time and just bought this over Black Friday...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9081325&type=product&id=1218017465909

I did add a few more sticks of DDR3 RAM I also got on the cheap(sitting at 9gb total), but I would like to up my GPU eventually, hence the crossfire querry. Otherwise it is just as it is out of box.

Cheeto

Brandon F said:
You won't see the gains that you'd assume going dual GPU. I'd suggest saving that money and upgrading your GPU a couple months down the road if you'd like a significant boost.

Brandon F

Cheeto said:
You won't see the gains that you'd assume going dual GPU. I'd suggest saving that money and upgrading your GPU a couple months down the road if you'd like a significant boost.

Ok thanks. I'll just hold off then.

Minsc

Gold Member
So last time I built a new PC I totally screwed myself over by getting an AGP motherboard, and I'm hoping not to do that again this time around.

My main questions right now, concerning building a new machine in February/March around when DoW2 is released, are:

- Windows 7 vs Vista. I have a XP retail license that I can install on any box. So would it really be worth it to buy Vista, with Windows 7 being released later that year (I've read a few stories saying MS is looking to push the date up to 2009)? I don't think it makes much sense to spend $200 on a Vista 64-bit retail, then spend another $200 on a Windows 7 64-bit retail, maybe it's smarter to just bear XP as a primary OS on the new box for ~6 months or so?

- Hard Drives, SSD vs Raptors. I've seen some nice charts showing the Intel 80GB SSD wiping the floor clean, like here. This is less of an issue, but again, it'd suck to spend $300 on a raptor or two, to have SSD prices fall below that.

- 3D Cards. Is a 260 / 280 (or 4870) a bad purchase for value in february? I like to be able to run 1920x1200 on max on everything.

- CPU. With i7s just released, does it seem like a bad idea to get a E8500 or whatever?

I know it's a little early to start deciding things, but I really screwed myself over by building a PC right before ePCI came out, which obsoleted AGP. And now I'm starting to think it's even more likely if I build something in a few months time, that there's going to be some very, very significant movements soon after again, later in '09.

Maybe I should just try to go as cheap as possible, and build a machine that can be upgraded, or just plan on doing it all again in a year or two?

Brandon F

Minsc said:
So last time I built a new PC I totally screwed myself over by getting an AGP motherboard, and I'm hoping not to do that again this time around.

My main questions right now, concerning building a new machine in February/March around when DoW2 is released, are:

- Windows 7 vs Vista. I have a XP retail license that I can install on any box. So would it really be worth it to buy Vista, with Windows 7 being released later that year (I've read a few stories saying MS is looking to push the date up to 2009)? I don't think it makes much sense to spend $200 on a Vista 64-bit retail, then spend another $200 on a Windows 7 64-bit retail, maybe it's smarter to just bear XP as a primary OS on the new box for ~6 months or so?

- Hard Drives, SSD vs Raptors. I've seen some nice charts showing the Intel 80GB SSD wiping the floor clean, like here. This is less of an issue, but again, it'd suck to spend $300 on a raptor or two, to have SSD prices fall below that.

- 3D Cards. Is a 260 / 280 (or 4870) a bad purchase for value in february? I like to be able to run 1920x1200 on max on everything.

- CPU. With i7s just released, does it seem like a bad idea to get a E8500 or whatever?

I know it's a little early to start deciding things, but I really screwed myself over by building a PC right before ePCI came out, which obsoleted AGP. And now I'm starting to think it's even more likely if I build something in a few months time, that there's going to be some very, very significant movements soon after again, later in '09.

Maybe I should just try to go as cheap as possible, and build a machine that can be upgraded, or just plan on doing it all again in a year or two?

I was in the same boat and built a custom AGP rig right before PCI-e landed and screwed myself out of a whole generation or two of upgrades. This is a big reason why I just went with an i7 rig last month with its DDR3 requirement and such. It's my first PC refresh since 2004 and I wanted it to be futureproof.

Of course I doubt it's as necessary a step up as AGP->PCI-e was, but screw it.

Brandon F said:
I decided not to build my PC this time and just bought this over Black Friday...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9081325&type=product&id=1218017465909

I did add a few more sticks of DDR3 RAM I also got on the cheap(sitting at 9gb total), but I would like to up my GPU eventually, hence the crossfire querry. Otherwise it is just as it is out of box.

Hmm I don't even see where it has the power connectors description but as Cheeto said, best to wait and see what offerings ATI/Nvidia come out with here in the next month or so.

Minsc

Gold Member
Brandon F said:
I was in the same boat and built a custom AGP rig right before PCI-e landed and screwed myself out of a whole generation or two of upgrades. This is a big reason why I just went with an i7 rig last month with its DDR3 requirement and such. It's my first PC refresh since 2004 and I wanted it to be futureproof.

Of course I doubt it's as necessary a step up as AGP->PCI-e was, but screw it.

Yea, that's probably what I'll do too, it makes more sense financially to build multiple gaming machines every few years (or at least upgrade), but I tend to be drawn to the best at the initial purchase even if I should know better. I am just going to be more careful with what components may not have a long future this time around, so at least I can upgrade this time around!

The motherboard / ram is probably the thing i should be the most careful about.

Bliddo

New rig on its way

Motherboard: Asus p5q pro
Processor: e8500
Memory: 4GB (2GB x 2) DDR2 800 RAM Ocz Titanium
Hard Drive: Western Digital caviar 320GB
Video Card: XFX 260gtx 216 Black Edition
Case: Coolermaster 690
Power Supply: Corsair HX520(from the actual pc)

VictimOfGrief said:
Totally agree on the GPU part. ^^^ The mid-range ATI cards as of late are pretty awesome with as much value you're getting per dollar.

As far as the CPU route, finding the lower end Core 2's can be somewhat challenging but I do agree that you can get a lower end chip and OC it with a good cooler.

The E5200 is Intel's best selling chip (and by quite some margin at that), its anything but badly stocked!

Its a proper 45nm wolfdale core only with less L2 cache, which puts it right around the 65nm Core 2s clock for clock but with the added bonus of using less power than either.

At $83 nothing comes even remotely close to it for anyone willing to give OCing a go and honestly there's literally no reason anyone should be histant about it either. Just spend a few hours reading up on the topic and you're good to go. The chances of damaging a chip are as close to nil as possible due to the many built in safety features of modern processors and motherboards.

This topic has good timing. I:m in the process of building a new PC with a quad core since my maxed out AMD 4000+ finally died. Right now it definitely won't be an Intel I7 since those either can't be overclocked or not cost effective for the one that can be. Will post specs when done.

VeritasVierge said:
This topic has good timing. I:m in the process of building a new PC with a quad core since my maxed out AMD 4000+ finally died. Right now it definitely won't be an Intel I7 since those either can't be overclocked or not cost effective for the one that can be. Will post specs when done.

This is FUD that was spread pre launch. All i7s will OC just fine, and the lowest cost one, has achieved some very big OCs.

VeritasVierge said:

You can overclock a 920 to 4.0GHz on air with 2-3 tweaks in the Bios. That rumor of them not being a good overclocking chip is a FUD that spread early on.

Cheeto

Any drawbacks to have your OS on a solid state disk? I'm thinking about getting a 32gb or 64gb for the OS + App partition and using a traditional disk for data.

Vieo

About two tweeks ago I built:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9 - Retail

EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders - OEM

Minus the other accessories.

I slapped it all into a Twice7 case from mountainmods.com

------------

I had buyers remorse for about a week, but now I'm really loving this new build. I've been playing Crysis on high settings with no hiccups along with a slew of other PC games. I probably won't upgrade for another 7 years like I did with my last PC. So far it's been worth it. I'll probably pick up BioShock and Fallout 3 this Saturday, but I can't decide if I should go with the PC version or the PS3 version of BioShock.

Top Bottom