• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official I, Robot thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manders

Banned
Hell yeah. This movie comes out on Friday. Who else is pumped to see it??

It's at 75% now on rottentomatoes.com. Take that, haters!!!

heeeee haaaaa

effzee

yeah i read some review that said its not as dumb as the trailers might lead u to believe.

and i always thought it looked pretty good.

Manders

Banned
http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=5551

Asimov's Daughter Endorses I, Robot with Rave Review

The new Twentieth Century Fox high-tech action thriller I, Robot, starring Will Smith, has won a rave review by a very interested party: Robyn Asimov, the daughter of the science fiction legend, Isaac Asimov. The visionary author's book inspired the movie.

"'I, Robot' is respectful of my father's work and faithful to the spirit of his stories. I think the film's exciting presentation of a world where robots are part of everyday life will attract a new generation to his books," said Robyn Asimov.

UH OH!! The haters are starting to sweat. Could I, Robot actually be a good movie???

B'z-chan

Banned
Its Bicentennial Man gone crazy and he's gonna turn his friends against us all. this would be cool if it ended up being like that Matrix Anime second something a rather, oh yeah that sounds good.

Mugen

Banned
lemme ask something...

IS WILL SMITH A ROBOT? Y/N WILL DO. And put it in spoiler tag too pls

THIS CONTAINS MILD SPOILERS! ANAL RETENTIVES BEWARE! LAST CHANCE!

From Aint It Cool News:
"Chi McBride’s character of Lt John Bergin is so damn tired. He’s that senior division cop/officer that is always overweight, acting like they’re chewing a cigar and bitchslapping the “hero” of a by the numbers action flick sort of thing. He never trusts his officer, always suggests a therapist and at some point will always take the “hero’s badge,” which generally means the hero will… “buck the system and stay on the case no matter what,” and yeah… that happens here too."

This part makes me fear for the film's quality. I HATE this cliche.

Manders

Banned
B'z-chan said:
Its Bicentennial Man gone crazy and he's gonna turn his friends against us all. this would be cool if it ended up being like that Matrix Anime second something a rather, oh yeah that sounds good.

Please do not compare this movie to that horrid piece of crap Bicentennial Man. You're comparing a movie where a robot has sex with a woman to a movie where robots fuckin kill everyone.

Manders said:
It's at 75% now on rottentomatoes.com. Take that, haters!!!

The first thing you have to remember about rottentomatoes is that you have to wait until the real reviews come out on Friday. The numbers are usually extremely inflated for a movie like this. Personally, I don't think themovieboy.com, filmsinreview.com, or Sean the Movie Guy are above taking bribes to pump up a movie.

Besides, last time I read I, Robot, Caves of Steel, or The Naked Sun, there was never a robot invasion of the major cities, and there were no cop-flying-through-air-letting-rip-his-uzi-while-crashing-through-a-window. Trust me, I would have noticed it.

Dead

well not really...yet
ConfusingJazz said:
The first thing you have to remember about rottentomatoes is that you have to wait until the real reviews come out on Friday. The numbers are usually extremely inflated for a movie like this. Personally, I don't think themovieboy.com, filmsinreview.com, or Sean the Movie Guy are above taking bribes to pump up a movie.

Besides, last time I read I, Robot, Caves of Steel, or The Naked Sun, there was never a robot invasion of the major cities, and there were no cop-flying-through-air-letting-rip-his-uzi-while-crashing-through-a-window. Trust me, I would have noticed it.
Thats because I, Robot was an original script which was then fitted with themes from Asimovs book as well as the 3 laws. Originally it had nothing to do with I, Robot. Im giving this the benefit of the doubt since its directed by Alex Proyas, who delivered one of the finest science fiction films of the past 15 years with Dark City.

gblues

Banned
I was turned off from the movie the first time I heard "Aww HAAYYYLE no!" delivered JUST LIKE FRICKEN INDEPENDENCE DAY in the trailer (saw it before Spidey 2).

I'll wait-and-see. I expect it to be a stinker.

Nathan

fart

Savant
under 70% with 13 reviews rolleyes rolleyes

sorry but this movie is a massive, post-mortem slap in the face to one of the greatest authors ever

sp0rsk said:
In the end you are just giving hollywood more money to make shitty movies like this.

OMG YOUR WALLET OWNED!1111

Yes cause Sporks has seen the movie already and has better taste than us all.

XS+

Banned
gblues said:
I was turned off from the movie the first time I heard "Aww HAAYYYLE no!" delivered JUST LIKE FRICKEN INDEPENDENCE DAY in the trailer
NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKIN BOUT

Lil' Dice

Banned
God damn! Is everybody a fuckimg movie critic nowadays?
I remember when it was all about Siskel&Ebert(sp?) and Leonard Maltin.....

Belfast

I admit, maybe its just from seeing so many commercials, but I'm more indifferent to it now instead of outright hating it. I may just give it a shot as I still think under all the flash and Will Smith-isms the original message of the story will shine through. Sad to say it, but a lot of probably would probably react more favorably to the film if Smith wasn't in it. :\

Mairu

Ryu said:
Wasn't this movie supposed to have a Batman Begins teaser attached to it? Any word on that?
I think that was Catwoman that was supposed to have the Batman Begins teaser

maharg

idspispopd
What the 'lovers' need to get about the 'haters' here is that it has not one little bit to do with how good it is or may be. No one is saying "a shitty movie with a respectable name is bad," although it does have the stink of a potentially bad movie to it as well.

What's being said is that it is an *abuse* of the themes and ideas behind Asimov's stories. What I've seen so far in the trailers shows absolutely no respect for those themes, and no asimov story was as action heavy as this seems to be, which is another slap in the face. I may love action movies, but give them their own fucking name and let them stand alone. Don't use a name I respect to bring me into a movie I'm not expecting.

Robyn Asimov's endorsement is good, but after Brian Herbert allowing Kevin J(uvenile) Anderson butcher his father's work, I have no faith in the children of the sci-fi greats. Especially since she's probably the one who authorized the licensing of the name to the movie to begin with.

Manders

Banned
Who cares? You have your book. I have my movie. Even if the movie is horrible, it's not going to make the book worse because of it.

maharg

idspispopd
I dunno, I figured you might care since you started a thread about how wrongzor the 'haters' are.

If you don't want to have an opposing viewpoint presented, maybe you shouldn't talk about the subject in question.

Anyway, if you don't care because you've never read the book, that's fine and dandy. But I care about as much about your view as you do about mine. *I'm* the one they're pandering to with the name, the characters, and the Laws.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Mairu said:
I think that was Catwoman that was supposed to have the Batman Begins teaser
Recent word has been saying I, Robot would have the teaser, although not in an exclusive attachment, or something. I don't think Warner Bros wants any connection between Catwoman and Batman Begins, let alone Batman himself. There's a reason the film has nothing to do with Selina Kyle.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Crap, I've been OWN3D. I planned on seeing it with a few friends for Friday, but I didn't expect it to get good reviews. I don't really want to see it right now though...I don't want this movie to beat Spider-Man 2, I sure hope Spidey is on top this weekend. I know its unlikely, but I pray.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
maharg said:
I may love action movies, but give them their own fucking name and let them stand alone. Don't use a name I respect to bring me into a movie I'm not expecting.
Yeah, it's just like how EA are using the Goldeneye name (from the movie and the game on the N64) to sell more copies of a Bond game that has no relation to the Goldeneye story we know. It's pathetic really... some bad guy who actually has a golden eye and voila, they call the game Goldeneye. That's so cheap.

MIMIC

Banned
Am I apart of some little known minority? I'm talking about the obscure group of people who saw "Spider-Man 2," loved it, and hoped that it did well; and who will also be seeing "I, Robot" this weekend and hope that it has just as great of a run.

Peeps on the Internet are some interesting folks.

Prospero

I'm seeing it, and pretending it's called "Crazy Robots Kill People" instead of "I, Robot," and that Susan Calvin's character isn't actually named that.

It is by Alex Proyas, after all--if nothing else, it'll have amazing visuals.

The NYT has an article today about how this movie throws Asimov's ideas out the window for the sake of a license, by the way.

Prospero said:
The NYT has an article today about how this movie throws Asimov's ideas out the window for the sake of a license, by the way.

This above all else pisses me off. I really don't know why, but its probably because of my over abundant geek love for the books.

It makes me fear what some dumbass ass writer and director will do with Foundation, whom I would have to shoot and kill if they fucked that series up.

Prospero

Hopefully the Foundation Trilogy will never be made into a movie--most of the books are just people having conversations, which would be pretty dull on-screen.

(On the other hand, you can say that about the Robot stories, come to think of it: robot malfunctions; characters have a lengthy conversation about why; they fix the robot. Didn't stop Hollywood from snapping up the license, though.)

Anyway, IIRC, the two major plot twists of Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation
(the identity of the Mule, and the location of the Second Foundation) can't be visually represented without giving them away too early
. So I think we're safe.

"'I, Robot' is respectful of my father's work and faithful to the spirit of his stories. I think the film's exciting presentation of a world where robots are part of everyday life will attract a new generation to his books," said Robyn Asimov.
Is she saying that it's faithful to the books because it features a world with robots?

From the aforementioned NYT article:
This was not Asimov's approach. In 1956 Asimov explained that before beginning his robot stories he had tired of the typical robot plot about "the creature that turned against its creator, the robot that became a threat to humanity."
Cliches make zombie-Asimov cry.

Wolfy

Banned
WANT TO SEE A REAL ROBOT, BITCHES?

DSCF0113.jpg

OMG ROBOTS

Guzim

Lil' Dice said:
I remember when it was all about Siskel&Ebert(sp?) and Leonard Maltin.....
Did you know there are over 600 critics on TV and Leonard Maltin is the best looking of them all?

MIMIC

Banned
I really don't understand "book to movie" criticisms. The only way a movie can ruin a book series is if the movie is a sequel to the last released book. Otherwise, it's just an interpretation.

maharg

idspispopd
MIMIC said:
I really don't understand "book to movie" criticisms. The only way a movie can ruin a book series is if the movie is a sequel to the last released book. Otherwise, it's just an interpretation.

This is not even an interpretation. I am not one to complain about film adaptations. I like Lord of the Rings. I like BladeRunner even though it's nothing like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep in plot, because it at least attempts to deal with similar, if not identical themes. I like many Stephen King film adaptations, especially the non-horror ones.

This however has nothing to do with its namesake. I mean, do you people even realize that I, Robot isn't even a story? It's a freaking collection of short stories, and in not one of those stories does a robot deliberately attack or harm a human.

MonkeyBoy

do we really need another movie about ai going insane, can't we ever think of something more original and exciting to do with robots, not to mention we had to have Jim West shooting a shotgun in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom