• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Wii) Discussion Thread of "I'm back, bitches!"

woah, thanks for the comparison shots! Looks like the PS1 version aged pretty good! Though I'm still probably going to buy the Wii version anyway. I'm sure there's only a few things that would stand out, while most you probably wouldn't be aware of unless you did side-by-side comparisons.

Sadist

Read a preview today in a Dutch mag, its coming on the 22nd of May. Didn't knew that.

Preview was really positive and they were really excited for it.

Drek

baka kitsune said:
Why does the text come up as "@@@" in the text bubbles? :lol
I'd guess it was used as placeholder spacers while they worked on the translation.

But thats just a guess.

Day one, sales +1, etc..

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Sadist said:
Read a preview today in a Dutch mag, its coming on the 22nd of May. Didn't knew that.

Preview was really positive and they were really excited for it.

What the fuck? Same day as Punch-Out? :(

Just thought I would mention that for some odd reason Gamestop changed their release date from 5/5/09 to 4/29/09. If this happens to be correct then the game will be arriving a week early.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74047

However, Amazon and most other websites still list the game for its original 5/5/09 release. And the 29th is a Wednesday which is a weird since most games get shipped on Tuesday to arrive on Wednesday. So don't get your hopes up too much.

It seems possible though considering the game went gold on April 7th.

So true.

I want Punch-Out! as well but I don't think it is worth a 49.99 price tag. Both games are charming in their own ways but Punch-Out! is probably much shorter than Klonoa (though Klonoa isn't terribly long either) and will leave you a bit dissatisfied in the end when you realize that the 50 dollars could have bought a game that lasted longer than 2 hours.

Rent or buy Punch-Out! when it's cheaper and buy Klonoa the day it comes out for the sales boost it needs! :3

Now that's smart spending!

Punch Out sure brings back memories, but Klonoa brings back much more fun memories. Punch Out made me throw many controllers.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
baka kitsune said:
So true.

I want Punch-Out! as well but I don't think it is worth a 49.99 price tag. Both games are charming in their own ways but Punch-Out! is probably much shorter than Klonoa (though Klonoa isn't terribly long either) and will leave you a bit dissatisfied in the end when you realize that the 50 dollars could have bought a game that lasted longer than 2 hours.

Rent or buy Punch-Out! when it when it's cheaper and buy Klonoa the day it comes out for sales boost it needs! :3

I'm fairly new to Punch-Out. I've been playing Super Punch-Out recently and love it. Never tried the original game. I just feel like I want to play some more Punch-Out, really :p.

Now, Klonoa is a great game, and I love platformers, but I don't think it would last me longer than Punch-Out. It's relatively short, and I 100%'s back in the day. I really like the visuals too. However, even if POWii is a remake to some extent, it feels less like a remake to me than Klonoa, which is a remake in the true sense of the word.

That said, I would definitely get Klonoa if I had more money. Actually, I'll probably get it some day, provided I can get that summer job in July...

2 questions about Klonoa: can you set the audio to the lovery original gibberish (ALL of it)? Are the original cutscenes in the game as a bonus (I know they aren't in the main game)?

Yep! The producer confirmed it in his blog that the language track can be switched to the Phantomile language like the Japanese version. As for the old cutscenes I don't think they exist as bonus content and I'm not sure how the new in-game cutscenes hold up to the originals. I tried not to play the JP version so I don't spoil anything.

I can tell you that this is pretty much the same game you played the crap out of years ago. The level layout is practically the same with little changes here and there though the extra content from beating the game is much better this time around. There's more than just the tower bonus stage. There's mirror mode, new costumes, and I think there's more bonus stages to give you a challenge.

In your case, if you never really played the original Punch-Out then maybe the game is worth the full admission price. Just don't expect the game to last very long unless you enjoy beating it 100 of times to master fighting without getting hit like in the original. XD

I'm seeing 5 hearts/10 hits to get killed in videos. Klonoa 2 only gave you 3 hits, and that was consistently easy throughout, so I guess this is going to be an absolute cakewalk. And yes, I'm aware the game isn't supposed to be challenging, but it still strikes me as being ridiculously lenient.

Day 1 regardless, though.

Anyone else get a call from Gamestop instructing you to pick this up tomorrow afternoon?

I did and I hope it wasn't a mistake. They kept changing their release date on the website but it says 5/5/09 again. However, Gamestop says they'll have it in stock tomorrow. XD

baka kitsune said:
Anyone else get a call from Gamestop instructing you to pick this up tomorrow afternoon?

I did and I hope it wasn't a mistake. They kept changing their release date on the website but it says 5/5/09 again. However, Gamestop says they'll have it in stock tomorrow. XD
Thanks to your heads up a few posts back I called yesterday to see if it was indeed shipping. They told me it was scheduled and should arrive today, but when I called them today to confirm it had arrived they said it was shipping today and should arrive tomorrow. I hope they're right this time because I'm going crazy with anticipation.

I really wish it had come today since I'm usually out and about on Friday nights. :(

Teknoman

I looked in our store informer yesterday, and it said Klonoa was going to be available May 1st instead of it's previous date. Not sure why the site hasn't updated yet.

I'll post an update if we get it in our shipment since I have to work today.

-PXG-

'bout to go get my copy now :D

...and Punch-Out! comes out the 19th guys.

EDIT

I work at GS too. Stores should be getting it in today. My boss told me it was delayed one day. Don't know why.

shawnlreed

Teknoman said:
I looked in our store informer yesterday, and it said Klonoa was going to be available May 1st instead of it's previous date. Not sure why the site hasn't updated yet.

I'll post an update if we get it in our shipment since I have to work today.

3491227707_f929d8625d_b.jpg

Gamestop has it!
All of GAF needs to buy this $29.99 worth of awesome 2.5D platforming greatness.

Volcynika

I'm tempted, but I think I'll wait on my Amazon order anyways, I have to catch up on a couple RPGs this weekend! (Plus working overtime)

D:

Downhome

The GameStop right here next to where I work got it in. They're holding a copy of it for me and I'm going to pick it up in about an hour. :D

GhaleonQ

I'm sticking with the Playstation 1 version, but I promised I'd (for the first time) buy a game to support future ones. My cousin could use a great platformer, and she doesn't get to spend much on leisure activities. Time to back up my words, it seems. *calls Gamestop*

Davey Cakes

I'm going through Wario Land right now, so I'm all set on the platformer front. However, Klonoa is my go-to game for when I'm itching for platforming in the future.

Downhome

I've heard that it'll be $24.99 at Fry's, although I've already picked it up at GameStop...and there isn't a Fry's anywhere even remotely close to me.

Teknoman

lol advertisement for Wahoo's fish tacos?

EDIT: Turn graphic filter on if you have component cables. Supposed to make things even sharper, but only works with component.

I wonder how Phantomille language sounds...like old school Klonoa?

English voices actually arent bad.

Downhome

:D

I wonder how the remote/nunchuck controls will be. Looks like you have the option between that, classic controller, GameCube controller, or just holding the Remote sideways.

Damn all of you who already got it, I have to wait for my GF to get home with the car before I can pick up my copy. *jealous sulk* In the meantime, can someone confirm whether you are stuck with 5 hearts, or if there is an option to knock it down to the original 3 heart health meter? I've been trying to get an answer since the first footage was shown to no avail.

dyls

Downhome said:
I've heard that it'll be $24.99 at Fry's, although I've already picked it up at GameStop...and there isn't a Fry's anywhere even remotely close to me.

I'm going to check Fry's after work, although the ad says available Tuesday, and getting those guys to check if it's the back is a lost cause. Otherwise, BB price match here we go.

Downhome

Oh man, Klonoa is so great. The remote/nunchuck controls are just perfect, and it's just such a smooth looking game.

Captain N

Downhome said:
Oh man, Klonoa is so great. The remote/nunchuck controls are just perfect, and it's just such a smooth looking game.

This may sound a bit random, but do you post on dvdtalk?

Top Bottom