• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

szaromir

Banned
If you want proof that the PS3 will close the gap, wait until MGS4 hits. Basing it off this march, a barren month for the platform is stupid.
It's like there were any exclusive releases for 360.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
AndyIsTheMoney said:
I may sound kind of "hippy" here by saying this...but looking at the money rolling in like this we should seriously put aside strong fanboyism and be happy gaming as an industry is advancing so well, its good for all of us.

This is NeoGAF. We don't care about that kind of stuff

there has to be a winner

or

there has to be a second place

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Gamecocks625 said:
So did MLB 2k8 really outsell MLB 08? Isn't MLB supposed to be a much better game? Anyways, it's nuts seeing two PSP games for the first time in ....ever.
Its not too surprising. The Xbox 360 has a higher install base, and it is the only MLB game on the console. The PS3 has a lower install base, it has two baseball games.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT AT NINTENDO

seriously YO MAN THATS FUCKED UP!

shortages over? lol 5k is enough to not release PR at midnight...

and damn, TWO PSPS GAMES IN THE TOP TEN!!!

hw is amazing, sw is amazing, charts are amazing...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Frillen said:
I personally think Nintendo could've released Mario Kart in June in the US. Just to space out the big three a little bit.

Yeah I kind of agree with you there. I don't think it will necessarily hurt sales, but having it in June or July would have spaced things out a bit better.

Cool Hand Luke said:
Clinton went bananas for winning a couple state elections, after a long streak of losing.
Obama is still in the lead.
McCain already won.

That metaphor might work, except the Gamecube didn't completely tarnish the reputation of the Nintendo party, although it did have low approval ratings.

(Why am I typing this?)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
tahrikmili said:
Didn't PS3 get GT5:prologue this month? It was actually barren for XBOX 360 which got nothing but multiplatform titles. Correct me if I am wrong.

And that logic fails when you consider Gears of War 2 is also hitting this year.

Nope, GT5 came out today.

FrankT

f_elz said:
pachter fucking owned. man does he have stuff riding on the ps3 or what :lol

Well, at least he nailed the Wii and DS for the month, but I agree. His early prediction for the PS3 and 360 for April ain't looking so hot, heh.

sticksave

Neo Member
xS1TH L0RDx said:
Why are people going apeshit over the 360's lead over the ps3? It's 5,000 units... calm the fuck down.

Well the PS3 folks went apeshit nuts when the PS3 beat the 360 by around 20K which also wasn't a big deal. It seams like turn about is fair play on this one

KGKK

Banned
bigmakstudios said:
No, they're playing Wii Sports.
I'm being serious.

This is true sadly. I know a lot of people who were never interested in videogames before got the Wii and only play Wii sports.

VALIS

Wow. Year of PS3 ended quickly.

And would someone take Pachter's license away from him already? I used to like him, but he's become ever more wacky. His predictions nowadays are just off the hook.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Interest for them both have fallen. The 360 just fell lighter becuase it didn't climb as high.

So, what you're saying is interest for 360 is now back above PS3. How does that bode well for Sony?

I actually don't believe interest has changed much, but all the people that went on for 2 months about the interest in 360 being dried up and the interest for PS3 continually growing, was just annoying and stupid.

Mato

I'm pretty pissed off to be honest. Who are all these people making all this money? And why are we all being such lambs, sitting here and raving about them?

I firmly believe we should start a new corporation which is NOT related to neogaf, because that would mean all the money goes to the usual suspects. I CAN DO THIS, you just shut up and get in line.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You know, for every successful game the Wii has had, the excuses on this board from fanboys were rampant.

I'd love to see some fanboy excuses for why Smash Bros Brawl just sold 2.7 million copies.

neptunes

why is the highest selling PS3 game only 224k? According to the amount of people that bought PS3's (December, January, Feburary?) what are they doing?

FrankT

VALIS said:
Wow. Year of PS3 ended quickly.

And would someone take Pachter's license away from him already? I used to like him, but he's become ever more wacky. His predictions nowadays are just off the hook.

:lol

NeoUltima

You gotta wonder how much higher GoW:CoO and FF7:CC sales would have been without piracy. And I'm sure Square won't be able to resist a FF7 remake for long based on those CC sales(considering its a spin-off on a system infamous bad software sales).

Banned
tahrikmili said:
Didn't PS3 get GT5:prologue this month? It was actually barren for XBOX 360 which got nothing but multiplatform titles. Correct me if I am wrong.

And that logic fails when you consider Gears of War 2 is also hitting this year.
GT5:prologue is not GT:5 and it received no marketing. I'm not even sure NPD caught it.
Yeah the 360 had no major releases. Maybe that's why it failed as well
How the hell does Gears 2 matter? last I checked it was a fall release.

champagne-cork-popping-flying-water.jpg

Lets raise a glass and celebrate our great industry.

CHEERS!

Guy Legend

AndyIsTheMoney said:
I may sound kind of "hippy" here by saying this...but looking at the money rolling in like this we should seriously put aside strong fanboyism and be happy gaming as an industry is advancing so well, its good for all of us.

Take your happy attitude elsewhere. This is a fucking war.

schuelma

Microsoft PR:

Consumers continue to make the ultimate vote for Xbox 360 as the console of choice by investing $9.4 billion to date this lifecycle in the Xbox 360 experience, far outpacing that of other game consoles. (March NPD data)

Going into March, some key U.S. retailers were still experiencing the trickledown effect of Xbox 360 console shortages. By the end of March, supply issues had improved and we expect retailers to be fully stocked with Xbox 360 consoles in time for the “Grand Theft Auto IV” launch. According to NPD, 262,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold in March, reclaiming the #2 position in the next-gen console category.

In just two weeks, Xbox 360 will extend its industry lead with the year’s most anticipated game launch, GTA IV. Launching April 29, GTA IV will be coming to Xbox 360 on day one. GTA IV will feature the first ever online multiplayer for the franchise and Xbox 360 is also the only place you can earn GTA IV Achievements and increase your gamerscore.

Starting this fall, only Xbox 360 owners will have access to exclusive GTA IV episodic content. Whether it’s the results of online polls or data from pre-sells, consumers have made it clear that the benefits of Xbox LIVE and exclusive access to GTA IV episodic content are making Xbox 360 the chosen place to play GTA IV.

Kinda weak

lopaz

Banned
KGKK said:
This is true sadly. I know a lot of people who were never interested in videogames before got the Wii and only play Wii sports.

Tragic. It'd be better if they still played nothing!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
KGKK said:

Funny, because the 15 or so people that I know that have Wiis have at least 3-4 "hardcore" games for the system.

schuelma

KGKK said:

How can you guys be carrying on this conversation when 2.7M Wii owners bought Smash Brothers?

TheDuce22

Banned
neptunes said:
why is the highest selling PS3 game only 224k? According to the amount of people that own ps3's in NA, that can't be much, can it?

Well its the cheapest bluray player. Im sure that factors in. If you look at GAF you would think more people are buying games but judging from the actual numbers this forum is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'm amazed MS isn't capitalizing on GTA4 more. There's basically a couple weeks to go with no mention or marketing of the fabled $50 million DLC and no price drop. If ever there was a time to hit $249 it's with GTA4.

Talamius

schuelma said:
Microsoft PR:

Consumers continue to make the ultimate vote for Xbox 360 as the console of choice by investing $9.4 billion to date this lifecycle in the Xbox 360 experience, far outpacing that of other game consoles. (March NPD data)

Going into March, some key U.S. retailers were still experiencing the trickledown effect of Xbox 360 console shortages. By the end of March, supply issues had improved and we expect retailers to be fully stocked with Xbox 360 consoles in time for the “Grand Theft Auto IV” launch. According to NPD, 262,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold in March, reclaiming the #2 position in the next-gen console category.

In just two weeks, Xbox 360 will extend its industry lead with the year’s most anticipated game launch, GTA IV. Launching April 29, GTA IV will be coming to Xbox 360 on day one. GTA IV will feature the first ever online multiplayer for the franchise and Xbox 360 is also the only place you can earn GTA IV Achievements and increase your gamerscore.

Starting this fall, only Xbox 360 owners will have access to exclusive GTA IV episodic content. Whether it’s the results of online polls or data from pre-sells, consumers have made it clear that the benefits of Xbox LIVE and exclusive access to GTA IV episodic content are making Xbox 360 the chosen place to play GTA IV.

Kinda weak

Microsoft has fallen back on total LTD?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dante said:
:lol June is a lock for them with the bundle.

mgs4 bundle won`t put them above the wii - wii is just TOO powerful...btw. doesen`t rockband for wii comes out in june ? and just one month before wii fit will have destroyed gaming...

inner-G

Banned
neptunes said:
why is the highest selling PS3 game only 224k? According to the amount of people that own ps3's in NA, that can't be much, can it?
It was Army of Two. :lol

But really, there has been shooter overload on PS3 lately. I wonder how GT5: Prologue will sell this month...

andthebeatgoeson

Mato said:
I'm pretty pissed off to be honest. Who are all these people making all this money? And why are we all being such lambs, sitting here and raving about them?

I firmly believe we should start a new corporation which is NOT related to neogaf, because that would mean all the money goes to the usual suspects. I CAN DO THIS, you just shut up and get in line.

?

WTF?

Top Bottom