• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Yeah, this may be the first time where I think the racing is actually fun. I mean, you still have inescapable items, but at least in single player mode, they don't last long enough to destroy you.

Being in first is kinda boring though cause you only get red\green shells bananas and fake ? blocks.

can't wait to get my furry hands over this baby tomorrow, assuming that asshole in my shop has it

will never forget when he got SSBM one week later, but that's another story

Proven

Oh, just thought about this now. For Wii Wheel controls, do you have to hold the side Dpad button to drag a shell or banana behind or you or is it set to toggle? Is there an option to go between the two?

Right lets see, got the game and here are my impressions.

The game feels incredibly lazy.

It's like, the game feels like it was made in a month. This is at the moment nit picking and does not reflect on the gameplay whatsoever, but 2D miis in the croud and delfino resident spectators bouncing up and down without any other bits of animation is a bit lazy.
I did notice it because I was playing on 50cc, so I guess that explains that.

Racing wise, it is your bog standard Mario kart.
I prefer using the GC control over the wheel, the wheel just takes too much effort frankly, and you can't seem to hold items back.
Music is pretty generic.

I mean, it's just the usual i suppose. I will look forward to playing it online though.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Just played one hour of it. Won 2 cups in single player and played half a dozen of multiplayer games : IT'S AWESOME. Great Great stuff, the online in surprisingly good when you get 8+ players.

One question : Is Waluigi Pinball in?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Mistouze said:
Just played one hour of it. Won 2 cups in single player and played half a dozen of multiplayer games : IT'S AWESOME. Great Great stuff, the online in surprisingly good when you get 8+ players.

One question : Is Waluigi Pinball in?

Nope.

Wes

venison crêpe
Just walked into HMV to reserve a copy of the game for my sister. They said they had 40 copies in and there were still plenty to go around.

Will be going to Tescos/ASDA at midnight to pick up a copy of the game for myself. I predict my weekend to be completely consumed by this game :D

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I picked it up along with an extra wheel; the game comes with a wheel and only costs 5100 yen, which is surprisingly low for a game and (yet another Wii controller) accessory. Better than the zapper (lol) price.

I played the first circuit in 50cc mode (karts only) and made the mistake of picking automatic drifting; I glossed over the menus really quick and thought that was transmission for some reason. So I start up and find I can't do anything but use items and hit the brakes; there's no drifiting or jumping, and I'm thinking the game sucks. The first three tracks in the mushroom cup are also pretty bland made it quite boring. On top of that, the AI seemed to continuously receive the (unavoidable) blue shell and POW items, where as I never got either one once. It made things annoying. The fourth track has much better design than the first three, and that made things better. Same goes for the game play once I picked manual powersliding, which gives you back your jumps. Powerslide into turns and you gain a burst of speed, just like the previous title. No snaking this time around, however. The Wii wheel casing you get with the game works great. Turning is no problem; the controls are very responsive. If you don't like or don't have a wheel casing, there are other control set-ups available. 100cc mode is for bikes only; I tried this briefly and found the bikes were of course faster, but also a little more difficult to control. Sliding in particular feels different. 100cc class is a mix of both karts and bikes. Battle mode seemed just as fun as ever, although with so many players in the same arena, it took forever to win. There are older tracks from all the previous games; my favorite Mario Kart is the original and the regular (and battle mode) tracks do not disappoint. They have been recreated to have a very SNES-like feel in both their textures and music. Fans won't be disappointed.

I *HATED* Double Dash and never really got into the DS Mario Kart, but I am liking Mario Kart Wii so far.

DataBot

If you are in germany you can buy it since yesterday nintendo approved- retailers are allowed to sell it ..
Go now and buy it...

CoolS

DataBot said:
If you are in germany you can buy it since yesterday nintendo approved- retailers are allowed to sell it ..
Go now and buy it...

What places are Nintendo approved-retailers??

Well, after about an hour or so on this, I've been enjoying it so far - I started out with the Wii Wheel and found that fun, though I definitely think that the nunchuk / remote combination offers more accuracy with the steering. I shall give the wheel another shot after work this evening though - I may make that my controller of choice for local multiplayer (particularly if I get a couple more of them) while using the other set-up online and in single player.

You do get hit by tonnes of items in single-player, though my feeling is that this is due to the increased number of racers rather than considered cheating. I'll delve further in to the single-player tonight. Graphics are really nice, even on a HDTV - Of course, I'm not sure how they'll hold up on a 50" screen, but on my 32" they look great.

Online works flawlessly. I'm utterly shit at it at the moment, but it works completely smoothly. As might have already been mentioned, you play consecutive single races against randoms (though the people you are racing will still be with you from race to race if they don't quit), but can opt for GPs when up against people on your friends list. I haven't tried Battle mode yet.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
New impressions rising my interest =O. And thinking about it.... the Battle Mode sounds like a deathmatch, but they should have kept a Survival mode.

meddow

plaguis said:
DAMN YOU SHOPTO!
DAMN YOU TO HELL!

Postman has come.. No Mario Kart.

DAMN YOU!

I feel your pain....

game.co.uk posted mine monday just gone....not here yet....me thinks its lost in post

CoolS

Ysiadmihi said:
Wii games do not use the Wii code for actual online play. They have their own.

You can however invite your Wii List friends without having to know their friendcode :)

My local ASDA is definitely selling the game at midnight. Anyone else wondering about their local store, look em up on Yell.com and give em a call.

I'm starting to feel excite!

KurowaSan

iby.h said:
Whats your favorite Stage so far? I am loving
Koopa's Cape
That one is quite enjoyable, but i'd have put some turbo things on the floor when you
go down the pipe

basically, every track in the special cup is great. They are quite dinamic and fun, things falling down, you having to dodge whatever crosses your way... I hate
Moonview Highway
so much that i love it.

jts

...hate me...
Mario Kart GET

I've speedrun through all 50 and 100cc cups, getting gold in all of them. 50cc is fuck easy (it's hard not to win a race), 100cc is more balanced but still kinda easy. 150cc is very hard from what i've tried.

Anyway, guys what does influence the rank you get? Though i think the rank is kinda retarded... you're already competing for bronze, silver or gold.

Shiggy said:
It was an option in the G|C06 version of Battalion Wars II, though it's not included in the final version.
What is that version?

In fact, what is G|C06 in the first place? It's impossible to search either this forum or Google for that acronym.

CoolS

Metal Gear?! said:
What is that version?

In fact, what is G|C06 in the first place? It's impossible to search either this forum or Google for that acronym.

GC ist the annual Games Convention in Leipzig and BWII was first presented in 2006 there

Bleeders

meddow said:
I feel your pain....

game.co.uk posted mine monday just gone....not here yet....me thinks its lost in post

Game didn't post anything out on Monday, contrary to what the Order Status said.

They pulled the exact same thing when Halo 3 was released and they will do exactly the same when GTAIV is released.

Due to the volume of orders they've got, they'll push all the orders through to the "shipping" phase so they can then get em' out the door quicker on Wednesday for Thursday/Friday delivery.

DataBot said:
Go now and buy it...
Yesterday 3 shops refused to sell it to me: Local videogame shop, Gamestop (although I pre-ordered and they definetly had it in) and Karstadt. All not Nintendo approved?

Xater

Phife Dawg said:
Yesterday 3 shops refused to sell it to me: Local videogame shop, Gamestop (although I pre-ordered and they definetly had it in) and Karstadt. All not Nintendo approved?

Bought mine today at hertie.

The game is actually really fun. I think it feels more like the N64 one I think which is not bad at all. Well of course the drifting is different and there are stunts.

I love that there are classic SNES courses.

Tried one cup with the wheel which was fun. You can definitely play it like that but after that I tried the GC control and it's so much more precise and fun.

clav

I am prepared for GAF to whine about the drifting now. It's perhaps one way to solve snaking, but some of you are going to complain it's broken.
It is broken, but I guess I have to relearn it.

The game suffers a few framerate issues with split screen. I don't know if it was the same case for Mario Kart: DD. (I skipped out on that one). It seems a tad annoying how some areas of the game are silky smooth, and others do not.

Going back and forth from 1st to last is common in this game. Items seem to be a lot more effective than before, and since you can't manually powerslide snake to give you a boost to catch up, you'll need to rely on items and luck more now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
dabookerman said:
Right lets see, got the game and here are my impressions.

The game feels incredibly lazy.

It's like, the game feels like it was made in a month.

Every Mario Kart game post-SMK feels like it was made on a budget with a super short development time. Light on content, basic course layouts, massive focus on items over racing prowess, zero customization(item filters?), and battle mode is a total afterthought.

Unlock it all in a day or two and feel raped.

clav

Brandon F said:
Every Mario Kart game post-SMK feels like it was made on a budget with a super short development time. Light on content, basic course layouts, massive focus on items over racing prowess, zero customization(item filters?), and battle mode is a total afterthought.

Unlock it all in a day or two and feel raped.
I wouldn't say the same for MK64.

Yoshi doesn't sound the same. :(

Top Bottom