• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

Did they take out Waluigi and Wario's bomb item completely? It required skill and timing, unlike other items, and was easily the best item in DD. I'd be sad to see it go.

Capndrake

ProfessorLobo said:
Did they take out Waluigi and Wario's bomb item completely? It required skill and timing, unlike other items, and was easily the best item in DD. I'd be sad to see it go.
Nope, still in there.

Nester

SpeedRazor said:
Every worldwide match I've played has been 100cc with Karts and Bikes mixed.

Correction...just played a 150cc match in worldwide random mode. Hopefully 50cc isn't an option.

Nester

Chibbi Brady said:
Really? How'd you do that? Every match I've had has been 100cc.

No clue. Every match since then has been 100cc too, and I haven't left the same group of people.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why didnt they implement this in Brawl? They sure delayed it enough.

Bullshit this is...

ksamedi

The online is great in this one, especially the presentation. I think the speed is good too, definitly better than Double Dash.

Capndrake

traveler said:
Super Mario Galaxy music on RR?!?!? Awesome!
This.

Unfortunately it's also pretty much the only good music in the game, the only other (new) song I like is
Maple Freeway

To those who have the game, is battle mode really teams only?

Also is it true that the framerate drops to 30FPS in 4 player splitscreen? And can you do more than 3 and 4 player splitscreen while playing online? (I know that you can do 2 player splitscreen already) Does it work with battle mode as well?

What kind of DLC is there at the moment? And are there any tourneys currently running?

LOcKY said:
doesnt anyone know if the major SUPERMARKETS will sell Matio Kart after it hits 12.01am? beccause theres a few 24hour SUPERMARKETS near where i live.

any ideas?

The likes of ASDA often do, yes. I got my Wii at midnight, and have picked up several games that way.

HK-47 said:
Why didnt they implement this in Brawl? They sure delayed it enough.

Bullshit this is...
ssbb_sse.jpg

Anyways, I really wasn't planning on getting this game, but the Iwata asks interview sold me. I can't believe the online is so fleshed out O____O

Nester

Nuclear Muffin said:
To those who have the game, is battle mode really teams only?

Also is it true that the framerate drops to 30FPS in 4 player splitscreen? And can you do more than 3 and 4 player splitscreen while playing online? (I know that you can do 2 player splitscreen already) Does it work with battle mode as well?

What kind of DLC is there at the moment? And are there any tourneys currently running?

Battle mode is teams only it seems. :(

Haven't tried much split screen yet, so I couldn't say.

Only 2 player split screen online with up to 10 other people (12 total) Split screen works with all online modes - friends, random and battle for both of those.

Plenty of ghost data to download but no Competitions up yet.

SpeedRazor said:
Battle mode is teams only it seems. :(

Haven't tried much split screen yet, so I couldn't say.

Only 2 player split screen online with up to 10 other people (12 total) Split screen works with all online modes - friends, random and battle for both of those.

Plenty of ghost data to download but no Competitions up yet.

Nice (Except for team only Battle mode) now I just need some confirmation of 60FPS 4 player splitscreen and I'm happy :D

LOcKY

radioheadrule83 said:
The likes of ASDA often do, yes. I got my Wii at midnight, and have picked up several games that way.

thats good news :D dont really want to buy from GAME as im sure Asda will be cheaper however i do have a pre order at GAME :\ im sure they will be charging £39.99

Sindou_Hikaru20 said:
Nope, 4-Player Splitscreen is 30fps sorry

FUCK! That's outrageous! DD!! ran at 60FPS even in 4player splitscreen!

Oh well I guess it's 2 player only for me :( (Unless 3 player runs at 60FPS!)

Neo Child

Banned
2 days time and this shall be miiiinneeee :D

I'll probably be online with this tonnes, so to prepare, heres my Wii FC, if anyone wants to add me please PM me or message here. Ill post it on the Wii FC thread too :D

7999-5138-0649-8797

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
SpeedRazor said:
I'm sure you can play friend code matches online with 150cc.

That I expect, but if I pick up a Wii and this game someday, there are most certainly going to be days when I just wanna hop online and play with 11 randoms online...

SpeedRazor said:
Correction...just played a 150cc match in worldwide random mode. Hopefully 50cc isn't an option.

This is better I guess, but I'd like to be able to choose a speed and stick with it...

Haunted

Alright, just played a few hours.

Remote + Nunchuck is my favourite control scheme so far. Will get the Wii wheel out when casual friends are over.

Very much enjoying the game so far. Them upping the count to 12 really helps, imo. Answered a couple friend requests already.

gkryhewy

Why the shit is this not coming out in America this week? Screw you, Europe! I do take some solace in your being price gouged.

Struct09

gkrykewy said:
Why the shit is this not coming out in America this week? Screw you, Europe! I do take some solace in your being price gouged.

Let Europe have this one, we already have Brawl

nli10

I've put a few hours into this already.

It's great fun, the Ghost Races surprised me and work really well. The online is far more reliable than pre-release Strikers was, and seems a mixed bag of skill levels atm (I managed to win a race tho!). Only unlocked the first two things on 50cc so far, was fun taking those online to race against all the Marios :D

Either way, fence sitters should just go out and get it if they have other friends with online Wiis or are racing fans (and Americans should play brawl and quit moaning!).

The cards for the single player are a nice touch as you can see progress, as are the buttons for the different modes.

I hope that Brawl's online is 'fixed' to be like this for the UK launch. Less crucial as online fighting is a novelty and not the focus of the game for me.

LaneDS

KurowaSan said:
got it this afternoon. I played a couple of games online and it's been great so far.

I'll be capturing more videos, but for now, this is the only one i have:

Wow, Yoshi sure is chatty in this.

Looks fun though, the online implementation actually sounds half-decent too.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Alright peeps, my friend has it and I managed to play a few hours too.

And I have to say...

The racing is possibly the BEST it's ever been in the Mario Kart series.

That said however... The Battle Mode is probably the worst of the series. :(

Let me elaborate...

What I'm really enjoying about the gameplay is the added boosting mechanics as well as the different strategies employed by choosing either a Kart or a Bike.

Bikes in general seem to have more accurate and quick steering (they are great for swerving out of the way of obstacles), but are weaker in collisions. (If another character bumps into you, you will often get knocked away and lose a ton of speed) The most important thing about them, however, is the ability to pop a wheelie. At any time you can pop a wheelie to gain a slight increase in speed for about 6 seconds or so, and you can do it over and over if you like. The only catch is once you're wheel goes up, you can BARELY maneuver. (You can, however, cut the wheelie short by hopping) Also if you get even slightly grazed by anything while doing a wheeling, you (very briefly) skid out and lost speed.

Karts seem less likely to get knocked around, and are also capable of much more powerful turbo-boosts during drifting. It seems that bikes can only charge their boost to one level (blue), while karts can do two (orange). An orange boost is a pretty significant gain in speed.

The two feel pretty balanced so far.

Both Karts and Bikes can now perform tricks on any jump (whether that be a small ramp, or a full half-pipe... flying off half-pipes is a lot of fun, BTW) and I personally find pulling off tricks to be really addicting and enjoyable. :lol It's a simple system to be sure (you can perform one of four different tricks, but they all have the same effect) but something about it feels good. You have to time your trick for right at the beginning of the jump, and if you pull it off you get a very nice boost of speed upon landing. I know a lot of people have said they feel like it adds little to the game... but I really enjoy it. BTW retro stages have various ramps and jumps added to them now.

Oh I almost forgot to mention that gaining speed from drafting (driving behind other players) is now possible, just like in MKDS.

SO yeah.. it's a ton of fun to time a wheelie right before a turn, at which point you slide and turbo boost, then right after maybe you hit a jump and perform a trick. Soon as you come out of it get that wheelie going again... There just feels like there is more for you to do and pay attention to this time around. The speed feels good, the strategy feels good... I'm having a lot of fun with it.

My two main complaints with the game right now: Items seem to OWN you way more than they did in the past (or maybe it's just me). It's the most frustrating god damn thing in the world to be in 1st place the whole race, then on your last lap get knocked into 12th by a blue shell followed immediately by a red shell followed by a lightning bolt. It happens A LOT. I know it's always been a part of the Mario Kart series but I swear to god the AI seems to get more powerful items when you're in 1st place than they used to :p Maybe it's also the fact that there are 12 characters getting items now instead of 8. (Or maybe it's just my bad luck)

The other major complaint is how badly they screwed up battle mode. NO free for all, ONLY teams! This is a HORRIBLE AND UNFORGIVABLE decision. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING, AHHHH!!! Balloon Battle doesn't even play like balloon battle anymore... popping opponents balloons just gives your team points... and losing all three of your balloons doesn't even eliminate you from the game... you just get three more afterwards. I doubt I will even touch this mode anymore. :p

So thats about it, sorry this is so long. Oh one last thing: The courses are amazing. Some of the later ones get really really crazy but I don't want to spoil it :D

meppi

123rl said:
Those selfish bastards - how dare they not risk getting sacked and their company getting fined by Nintendo. Honestly, don't they realise they owe you a duty to sell you a game early even though they're explicitly told not to do it?
Worth a reply, I think not.
Ass.

Haunted One said:
Alright, just played a few hours.

Remote + Nunchuck is my favourite control scheme so far. Will get the Wii wheel out when casual friends are over.

Very much enjoying the game so far. Them upping the count to 12 really helps, imo. Answered a couple friend requests already.
Damn, went around town and no-one wanted to sell me a copy :(. Now I'm jealous of you guys.

LOcKY

oh you just made waiting for friday even worse now!!! not only that im drinking two days in a row meaning i wont get to play it until sunday! CURSE YOU!!!! what makes it even worse is that i reserved my copy at a retail Park meaning i have to drive30 minutes to collect my reserved copy.

My only hope is that the SUPERMARKET near me sells it after it hits midnight :) also good that its a 24 hour SUPERMARKET :)

MrCheez said:
The racing is possibly the BEST it's ever been in the Mario Kart series.
Fuck yes!

That said however... The Battle Mode is probably the worst of the series.
Fuck no!

Thanks for the impressions. Hearing your criticism of battle mode is hugely staggering. Too bad they didn't include classic battle mode.

Haunted

I've unlocked the
Mii character
and damn, I know it's fucking silly, but it's so much fun to see him race around the Marios and Bowsers. :lol

Really liking the racing so far. 50cc is useless (too slow, too easy!), the game really shines in the 150cc class, just like every other Mario Kart, imo.

Phife Dawg said:
Damn, went around town and no-one wanted to sell me a copy :(. Now I'm jealous of you guys.
Sorry. :/ I had no luck at the big stores (can't do it, you have to wait until friday etc. etc.), but I was able to convince a guy I know at a smaller shop where I'm kinda a regular. :D

Hit me up as soon as you've got yours.

I've been following this game for a while now, and while I won't be done with Brawl when I pick it up, I will play it to death as per all Mario Karts. I only have two questions though:

1) Can you add randoms online and 2) What the hell do tricks actually do? I've looked everywhere and I can't find out how they actually benefit you. Slight speed boost when you land?

Capndrake

Killa Sasa said:
I've been following this game for a while now, and while I won't be done with Brawl when I pick it up, I will play it to death as per all Mario Karts. I only have two questions though:

1) Can you add randoms online and 2) What the hell do tricks actually do? I've looked everywhere and I can't find out how they actually benefit you. Slight speed boost when you land?
1) No.

2) Yes. Don't bother doing tricks off halfpipes though, the time it takes to drive up them negates any speed boost you get. Usually there are items at the top though so if you're not in first place it might be worth taking them.

MrCheez

Capndrake said:
2) Yes. Don't bother doing tricks off halfpipes though, the time it takes to drive up them negates any speed boost you get. Usually there are items at the top though so if you're not in first place it might be worth taking them.

I'm trying to determine if it is worth taking them or not... you get a boost going up them, going down them, PLUS an extra boost at the bottom if you pulled up a trick. (The boost from tricks is significant btw... IMO anyway) I guess it depends on the size of the halfpipe and how far off the track it is? I'm sure there are definitely a few that are a waste of time.

There are a few halfpipes I noticed that you definitely want to take because the track between them will be filled with hazards/offroad, though.

Plus they are a lot of fun :)

Leatherface

Can't wait to play this! :D

Quick question: How is the steering wheel? Do you guys just do classic style or does the new steering setup work well>?

Haunted

MrCheez said:
I'm trying to determine if it is worth taking them or not... you get a boost going up them, going down them, PLUS an extra boost at the bottom if you pulled up a trick. (The boost from tricks is significant btw... IMO anyway) I guess it depends on the size of the halfpipe and how far off the track it is? I'm sure there are definitely a few that are a waste of time.

There are a few halfpipes I noticed that you definitely want to take because the track between them will be filled with hazards/offroad, though.

I'm almost always faster if I don't take them (talking about the ones w/o hazards inbetween, of course) especially as I screw up the angle often, but if you're behind, the extra items definitely make it worth it.

Capndrake

MrCheez said:
Yeah, those are the only exceptions. I think there's only three, DK's Snowboard Cross,
Dry Dry Ruins and Bowser Castle

Hype rising exponentially. Like I said, I'm getting two Wii Wheels with this baby. And yes, some Wii Wheel impressions would be welcome.

Colonel Sweeto

Neo Member
MrCheez said:

Wow! You should really listed to this MrCheez character cuz he's super hip and always way stylin'!

MrCheez

Colonel Sweeto said:
Wow! You should really listed to this MrCheez character cuz he's super hip and always way stylin'!

Oh Col Sweeto, you're so sweet <3 <3 <3

LOcKY

someone posted that they played 150cc online.

i think its due to the fact that everyone has played up to 100cc and just wanted to get online straight away :) well thats my theory anyway

*sigh* watching those videos is making friday seem like an eternity

JavyOO7

Oh, sweet. That's good to know.

But WTF at retarded battle mode. Eh...

Oh well, as long as the racing good I'm pre ordering this in full tommorow!

All these posts make the wait until Friday almost unbearable.

Haunted One said:
Sorry. :/ I had no luck at the big stores (can't do it, you have to wait until friday etc. etc.), but I was able to convince a guy I know at a smaller shop where I'm kinda a regular. :D

Hit me up as soon as you've got yours.
Guess no one likes me :(. I'll definetly hit you up - we still have to co-op BWII too :lol . Although I must admit that ever since PES I haven't been playing BWII at all.

Top Bottom