• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I wonder if it will do down the shitter as more people grabs MK.

People here in europe are reporting it working well and all, but most stores arent selling it until the 11th.

Hope it will be as good when the majority of people will get their hands on it and start swarming the online.

Kandrick said:

People here in europe are reporting it working well and all, but most stores arent selling it until the 11th.

Hope it will be as good when the majority of people will get their hands on it and start swarming the online.
According to the interview the MK team learned a lot from the problems they faced with the online interface in MKDS. I'm willing to bet this will be Nintendo's most refined online experience.

Shiggy

Kandrick said:

Well, there are severe shortages in order that there will be no WFC lags. Though citizens from the former GDR probably won't see a problem ... :lol

jts

...hate me...
Is it true you can only play Battle with teams? Extremelly large CPU teams that render your performance more or less useless?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
mio said:
Is it true you can only play Battle with teams? Extremelly large CPU teams that render your performance more or less useless?

Battle is played in teams, blue vs red, and you can play up to 2 players per Wii.

jts

...hate me...
sp0rsk said:
Battle is played in teams, blue vs red, and you can play up to 2 players per Wii.
Ugh. I hope free for all battle is an unlockable or something.

edit: just to clarify i was talking about offline battle.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The presentation is great, the fact you can see everyones names and mii's and it feels like I'm actually playing real people is awesome!

The Wiiconnect24 stuff is also incredibly well done. Leave it to Nintendo to really get the presentation spot on.

Mio, sorry I was talking about online only.

Innotech said:
it really doesnt make much difference from wheel or no wheel. Its just a snap on addon. However Excite truck is controlled in a different axis than MArio Kart.
It still works. The only problem is with jumping, because if you use a wheel you will always "lean back" with your truck.

sp0rsk said:
The presentation is great, the fact you can see everyones names and mii's and it feels like I'm actually playing real people is awesome!

The Wiiconnect24 stuff is also incredibly well done. Leave it to Nintendo to really get the presentation spot on.

so....Unlike SSBB , you can search for a game to play actual people ( With NAMES )!?!?

fresquito

mio said:
Online mode is played by humans that get replaced by CPUs if they drop the game. IGN is full of shit when they say only four players can play online at once.

Nester

nzlzyv.jpg

Online play is so much more fun than the DS version on this! :D

crispyben

Model 500 said:
Is there a way to choose / limit / turn off items in multi and / or online?

And does the blue area in the ramps give you boost even if you're not jumping but just driving along it "sideways"?
Corrections:
1) Yes you can, in Vs. mode. There are four options:
- Recommended = balanced items
- Frantic = powerful items more frequent
- Basic = powerful items less frequent
- None = no items

2) No, you have to jump, but the height depends on your speed.

By the way, no multiplayer GP :( Though you can set up a custom series of 32 Vs. mode races, so that's even better :D

Rosalina
was just given to me out of nowhere as
a present from Super Mario Galaxy. Does that mean you have to have a save from that game on your Wii tro unlock her?

crispyben said:
Corrections:
- None = no items
Thanks. Good to hear about the items. I would've liked an option to turn of certain items (an only green shell race would rock) but this is good enough for me.

meppi

Goddammit, went to 4 stores today.
Three of them pretended to not having received the game yet, and in the final one they actually showed me the box full of Mario Kart packs, but said that they couldn't sell them before Friday.
It's always the same BS in this fucking country. :mad:

1141286932955.gif

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
meppi said:
Three of them pretended to not having received the game yet, and in the final one they actually showed me the box full of Mario Kart packs, but said that they couldn't sell them before Friday.

Same here, except that if you know the guys, you can get them early :D

yoopoo

Banned
Vid of all 32 courses http://wiinintendo.net/2008/04/09/2-hours-of-mario-kart-wii-direct-feed-all-32-courses/

Miis
The Mii integration was pretty smooth on Nintendo’s part. It was funny as hell to see my Hitler Mii try and run me over in a car and my Mitch Hedberg Mii on a poster in the Coconut Mall. From toll booth operators to a stadium of chanting Mii’s they sprinkled the Mii’s perfectly throughout the levels. This attention to detail is another example of how the “eye candy” in their level design is supreme. There are so many goodies all over the place (more than half I didn’t even notice the first time around).
:O

Visuals
I thought the graphics were good (not great), I was hoping to see a Mario Galaxy polish to the characters. You’ll see the polygon count come through on a few things, you’ll see hard edges where wall meets ground, and you’ll see low textures on certain materials, but the atmospheric feeling you get leaves those high detailed complaints behind. I first noticed how rich and detailed the game was during Wario’s Gold Mine level, just looking into the distance and beneath you made you feel deeply engaged. The pipes in particular were really nice. It’s also great to see that they didn’t skimp on the draw distance. You can clearly see background elements far off into the distant and when they’re not clear the blur effect works great. Don’t get me wrong about the graphics they’re great, I’m just holding them up to Mario Galaxy. It’s also worth pointing out that it runs in full 16×9 and a steady 60fps (as far as my eye can tell).

meppi

Kandrick said:
Same here, except that if you know the guys, you can get them early :D

Used to be in that position as well, but the local shop went out of business.

Oh well, I'll be playing Mario Kart 64 tomorrow as well then.
And at least I won't have to worry about the low shipments as I have 2 copies put aside for me. And you can be sure I'll be standing at the door in the morning when the shop opens. ;)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
meppi said:

1141286932955.gif

The gif goes perfectly with your post... :lol

Haven't had the time to call, but I'm more than positive that the store that I buy my games at more than likely has the game by now and is probably selling early to known customers like myself - might call the one friend in our gaming circle with a Wii to find out if he got his yet...

Dazzyman

Shopto.net have shipped theirs out in UK today so hopefully plastic wheel and mario will be here tommorow.

I might take the wheel out tommorow and do some Ruprekt impressions (from Dirty Rotten Scoundrals) in the wheelchair. Why is the cork on the fork :lol

Jirotrom

sp0rsk said:

you arse... you just made me buy this game. I was going to avoid it after the crap online that smash has.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
SpeedRazor said:
Every worldwide match I've played has been 100cc with Karts and Bikes mixed.

I swear everytime I generate a little interest in the game, something completely silly and random ruins it...

You can't choose the cc you want to play online? I seriously would not want to play anything less than 150cc!

And secondly, are mirrored tracks in, and can you choose to race them online?

Nester

Skilotonn said:
I swear everytime I generate a little interest in the game, something completely silly and random ruins it...

You can't choose the cc you want to play online? I seriously would not want to play anything less than 150cc!

And secondly, are mirrored tracks in, and can you choose to race them online?

I'm sure you can play friend code matches online with 150cc.

Jazzem

SpeedRazor said:
I'm sure you can play friend code matches online with 150cc.

Hmm, that sweetens things a little :) It's still a shame, but I can see why they did it to make it more accessible.

fresquito

Okay, so MK Wii is what I expected MKDS to be. Online works very well and feels rewarding. GPs cannot be played, but it's not like I give a fuck. I am having a lot of fun playing the game. Up until now I have like 5600 points.

123rl

meppi said:
Used to be in that position as well, but the local shop went out of business.

Oh well, I'll be playing Mario Kart 64 tomorrow as well then.
And at least I won't have to worry about the low shipments as I have 2 copies put aside for me. And you can be sure I'll be standing at the door in the morning when the shop opens. ;)

Those selfish bastards - how dare they not risk getting sacked and their company getting fined by Nintendo. Honestly, don't they realise they owe you a duty to sell you a game early even though they're explicitly told not to do it?

I watched the vid of all 32 tracks... the mushroom highway level looks awesome... I'm also really digging rainbow road!

Friday, come faster damn you!

Capndrake

dasupremeone said:
Nintendo hates American people

Why so low Nintendo, why do I have to wait...
You have to wait about 20 days, meanwhile, we have to wait a still unknown amount of time for Brawl.

Tiktaalik

crispyben said:
Corrections:
- None = no items

So the only way to get rid of blue shells is to turn off items completely? Kinda crappy but maybe the Basic mode limits them enough so that the game isn't so frustrating.

LOcKY

doesnt anyone know if the major SUPERMARKETS will sell Matio Kart after it hits 12.01am? beccause theres a few 24hour SUPERMARKETS near where i live.

any ideas?

herod

KurowaSan said:
got it this afternoon. I played a couple of games online and it's been great so far.

I'll be capturing more videos, but for now, this is the only one i have:

It's an avi file enconded in xvid.

29kp636.jpg

Top Bottom