• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

In the next one they definitely need to change the blue shell mechanic... its so rare that I get hit with one in an annoying way, both online and offline...

...but just now in a couple of 150cc races I got completely screwed at the last minute. How hard would it be for them to have that routine just quickly check where the racer in 1st is and decide whether its fair to hit them with it? I'd say if you're in 1st, on the home straight, in the third lap, no-one should be getting a blue shell.

Ah well, beat it in the end.

radioheadrule83 said:
In the next one they definitely need to change the blue shell mechanic... its so rare that I get hit with one in an annoying way, both online and offline...

...but just now in a couple of 150cc races I got completely screwed at the last minute. How hard would it be for them to have that routine just quickly check where the racer in 1st is and decide whether its fair to hit them with it? I'd say if you're in 1st, on the home straight, in the third lap, no-one should be getting a blue shell.

Ah well, beat it in the end.

But that would ruin the randomness, the unexpectedness... the essence of Mario Kart to never know what will happen until you've actually crossed the finish line. Sure, you will get screwed over lots of times... but races are tense until the very end. :)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
biodegradablebean said:
But that would ruin the randomness, the unexpectedness... the essence of Mario Kart to never know what will happen until you've actually crossed the finish line. Sure, you will get screwed over lots of times... but races are tense until the very end. :)

That's fine when you're playing with friends, but to lose a good chunk of your rating because of something you have no control of is just wrong.

The worst thing about the blue shell is it hardly ever benefits the person who used it. Just the person in 2nd or 3rd place who manages to avoid it and pass you for the win.

DataBot

Yeah finally won a match against Drake ;)
And the first time GC dk mountain I almost won but than your green shell and your push from the bridge Aaaaaarrrrrgghhh i was so mad.
But nevermind Drake: 26 - Databot: 1 lol.

Majuts

biodegradablebean said:
Exactly.

I lose lots of times because I continuely get hammered with blue shells, bullet bills and stars. But just barely crossing the finish line in first after getting chased by red shells in the last corner, or coming back from last with a bullet bill and win the race is priceless. That's what makes Mario Kart fun in my opinion and they made it so anyone can feel the joy of winning like that.

NTom64

Anyone on my friends list who wants a quick race, I'm currently in a worldwide match and will be so for about the next 20 mins or so. Join in if you want! :D

Ysiadmihi said:
The worst thing about the blue shell is it hardly ever benefits the person who used it. Just the person in 2nd or 3rd place who manages to avoid it and pass you for the win.
Uh the benefit is the satisfaction of knowing the person in first place is going to get slammed! :D

Ysiadmihi said:
That's fine when you're playing with friends, but to lose a good chunk of your rating because of something you have no control of is just wrong.

The second point is true... they should maybe make the blue shell a little less powerful and make it 'avaiable' for players 3-6. Would balance it a little bit better I think. About the first point, I know it sucks, but it should even out when you're getting lucky and gaining points yourself.

Majuts said:
I lose lots of times because I continuely get hammered with blue shells, bullet bills and stars. But just barely crossing the finish line in first after getting chased by red shells in the last corner, or coming back from last with a bullet bill and win the race is priceless. That's what makes Mario Kart fun in my opinion and they made it so anyone can feel the joy of winning like that.

Yea... It's like when you finally think you're gonna beat me after 4 consecutive losses, I get 3 mushrooms on the last item round on Coconut Mall and still pass you a couple meters before the finish line. :0) It was that time I really felt the 'joy of winning'. Awesome game!

Majuts

biodegradablebean said:
Yea... It's like when you finally think you're gonna beat me after 4 consecutive losses, I get 3 mushrooms on the last item round on Coconut Mall and still pass you a couple meters before the finish line. :0) It was that time I really felt the 'joy of winning'. Awesome game!
Do I need to remind you who finally broke your winning streak on Rainbow Road the other day? :p

Ysiadmihi

Banned
biodegradablebean said:
About the first point, I know it sucks, but it should even out when you're getting lucky and gaining points yourself.

Not exactly. I'm at the point now where a 1st place victory gives me about 30 points, but 4th place and below usually results in a loss of 200 points. Not very fun to get screwed over and lose that much :(

Ysiadmihi said:
Not exactly. I'm at the point now where a 1st place victory gives me about 30 points, but 4th place and below usually results in a loss of 200 points. Not very fun to get screwed over and lose that much :(

Yeah, ok you've got a point there I guess. Gotta make sure you're lucky then like me. ;) Managed to win about 15 consecutive 10+ players races either through being first the entire race or with sheer luck at the last possible moment. Insane but so satisfying. :p

NTom64

Good couple of games, fly high ~ayunite~ and DataBot (though you're still the sharpshooter that you have been lately, DataBot :lol )

That's it from me for today, I'll probably play you lot again sometime tomorrow.

Cheerio for now lol.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Played about 10 games tonight, won everyone one of them except 2 or 3. Ended up with about the same number of points when I booted the game up :lol

It's going to be so damn hard to rank up until more people get higher ratings.

Pennywise83 said:
I've read on another forum that the online play suffer of desync... there is different result for each player :S Is this true? :(

Haven't experienced that yet. Though once I finished fourth (got passed by two racers the last few seconds) and still ended up being second in the results. Though it made sense because the two other players were very laggy (flying from left to right about the tracks).

Capndrake

DataBot said:
And the first time GC dk mountain I almost won but than your green shell and your push from the bridge Aaaaaarrrrrgghhh i was so mad.
Luigi Circuit :(

DataBot said:

I was in a few of the matches with you and Drake... did quite well on occasion, but whenever I did I was almost instantly humbled by either a blue shell, bullet bill or just plain getting barged off the course.

Actually, I get bounced around faaaar too much in the online races I participate in (brutal!). Looks like it's time to hang Dry Bones up and start to learn a heavier character :-(

Pennywise83 said:
I've read on another forum that the online play suffer of desync... there is different result for each player :S Is this true? :(

I've noticed it once in easily over 100+ online races.

I appeared to come first but I never.

I got gold in all 150cc cups last night, I've played the game 100% using the wheel so far. It almost seemed as though all 11 CPU characters saved their weapons to hit me at the most opportune time on some courses -- it was infuriating at times. But Luigi + Nostalgia kart seems to be my magic combo. Unlocking
Princess Daisy
and Mirror Mode felt so not worth it :lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
radioheadrule83 said:
I've noticed it once in easily over 100+ online races.

I appeared to come first but I never.

Are you Tom, by any chance? I think that was one of my races. I appeared to come first but showed up on the listings as 2nd place >:O

Haunted

Ysiadmihi said:
Played about 10 games tonight, won everyone one of them except 2 or 3. Ended up with about the same number of points when I booted the game up :lol

It's going to be so damn hard to rank up until more people get higher ratings.
:lol I know how you feel.

Ratings, shmatings, though. Just play for the fun of it. That's how I keep my rating
barely
over 8200, anyway. :D The less you worry and get mad, the better you'll do.

That's why I never even thought about changing my online racer (Mii with Blooper Kart), though I acknowledge that a heavy biker would be the better choice in pretty much all courses.

Haunted

Tab said:
alqans.jpg
Hot damn. Did I mention that I love how they styled the SNES retro courses already?

Starchasing said:
The only thing i dont like about the game is the Mii voice... is there a way to change it?

Its determined by the weight and height of your Mii. If he's little, you get a high pitched voice, if he's big n' fat you get a deeper one.

You get different weighted karts based on this too.

So edit your Mii in the Mii channel... and don't worry you won't lose any save data.

Haunted

radioheadrule83 said:
It should fatten your Mii up and lock it from editing, that'd be awesome :lol
:lol Can't wait to race all those heavy Miis online in the future. (Or Mini-Miis when it's unveiled that their owners are actually 7 years old) :eek:

the thing that makes mario kart so fun is the randomness, but a good player will still beat a bad player more often than not, it's just that anyone can win any given game.

that stops it from getting too depressing to play... but there's unquestionably skilled players who know how to win consistantly.

Haunted

turk128 said:
Wow, that-- that's down right devilish. It'll be hilarious if they actually implement it.
oh, but they do. I don't know if they'll lock it from editing :)p), but weighing yourself in Wii Fit will change your Mii's appearance to reflect that.

plagiarize said:
the thing that makes mario kart so fun is the randomness, but a good player will still beat a bad player more often than not, it's just that anyone can win any given game.
Exactly. I always liken it to Poker in that regard.

What I hate about this game is this

GCN tracks = 4
DS tracks = 4
N64 tracks = 4
GBA tracks = 2
Snes tracks = 2

ONLY 2 TRACKS FROM THE SNES AND GBA VERSIONS???

Capndrake

dabookerman said:

GCN tracks = 4
DS tracks = 4
N64 tracks = 4
GBA tracks = 2
Snes tracks = 2

Yeah, starting from the next MK they should do 6 Nitro cups and 6 Retro cups. I mean come on, Super Mario Kart still has the most "new" tracks of all games (20), every other one has 16. With 6 Retro cups they could also do 4 from every previous non-arcade game just like MKDS instead of making it unbalanced.

Capndrake said:
Yeah, starting from the next MK they should do 6 Nitro cups and 6 Retro cups. I mean come on, Super Mario Kart still has the most "new" tracks of all games (20), every other one has 16. With 6 Retro cups they could also do 4 from every previous non-arcade game just like MKDS instead of making it unbalanced.

I propose a Rainbow Road cup aswell.

But man, DLC would of been great if Nintendo implemented it.

Getting new tracks and stuff, the Snes and GBA tracks as well as a few other N64 tracks were the best tracks ever.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I think what they should do, a la Smash Bros. Brawl, is do away with the lowest difficulty setting and instead implement an all-new, entirely nightmarish level above 150cc, before you go and unlock Mirror Mode.

50cc is pretty slow nowadays and doesn't give the best impression of the game, so it's not that great an idea having it the starting difficulty you always play on and have been playing on since the SNES original.

Gah, I guess I'll never get over 9000 pts with my online rating. I'm at about 8500 for some days now, 'cause all the tiny steps I'm making forward get nullified by one giant step backwards sooner or later. ;__;

I think what they should do, a la Smash Bros. Brawl, is do away with the lowest difficulty setting and instead implement an all-new, entirely nightmarish level above 150cc, before you go and unlock Mirror Mode.

I wouldn't mind a 200cc mode if it only changed the speed of your karts, but to make it more "difficult" in Mario Kart terms would be to have your ass pelted with god knows how many more blue shells. No sale!

herod

dabookerman said:

GCN tracks = 4
DS tracks = 4
N64 tracks = 4
GBA tracks = 2
Snes tracks = 2

probably the smallest tracks to offer as DLC.

also demanded by the largest body of suckers to sell DLC to.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Capndrake said:
Super Circuit had 20 as well, iirc.

I'm mostly cheesed that they put Yoshi Falls in there instead of Waluigi Pinball or Airship Fortress. :mad:

DataBot

How about if someone creates a thread "MK Wii needs DLC Nintendo" and a petition and a gaf vote "would you buy retro courses".

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Nexus Zero said:
I wouldn't mind a 200cc mode if it only changed the speed of your karts, but to make it more "difficult" in Mario Kart terms would be to have your ass pelted with god knows how many more blue shells. No sale!

Okay okay, that's what I meant really. I suppose you can't completely eliminate the difficulty level of 50cc, just make the three difficulties the extra step faster (100cc, 150cc and 200cc instead of starting with 50cc)

Top Bottom