• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

crispyben

Shiggy said:
Offline singleplayer is so boring, is there no other way to unlock things?
There is, some characters are also unlocked through a number of online "wins" (# of people you get ahead of), but nobody knows the extent of it yet.

Shiggy said:
Offline singleplayer is so boring, is there no other way to unlock things?

crispyben said:
There is, some characters are also unlocked through a number of online "wins" (# of people you get ahead of), but nobody knows the extent of it yet.

My girlfriend just fired up the game and as soon as she chose her licence she was rewarded with a new Kart.
The Rally Romper (Small)
. It said at the top of the screen
"Awarded for winning in 50 online races"

So now we know of one :)

Wizpig

Yesterday i unlocked my Mii and he's HEAVY >:eek:
Which karts can your Mii use? [without cheating by modding it in the Mii channel :lol ]

Wizpig

[Nintex] said:
It sucks, teams only, respawns(no need for the balloons anymore) and the new maps aren't great.
Dude, if you lose all of the 3 balloons your team loses a Point, they aren't THAT worthless.

Anyway yeah, it's not that great. =(

[Nintex]

Jirotrom said:
teams only? wtf... you cant do free for all any more w/ 4 people?
The battle mode is the only bad thing about MK Wii, I always play Grand Prix and shed a tear each time the battle option shows up.

Wizpig

Jirotrom said:
thats really shitty... i doubt i'll be buying the game now.
WHAT THE FUCK!

=(
Dude.
Buy it, do it for GAF.

This game is AWESOME, just read what Nintex said, it's the only "bad" thing in MK Wii.
I'd replace "bad" with "not that great" because Battles are STILL fun in MK Wii, but yeah, you get the idea.

Go buy it.

[Nintex]

Jirotrom said:
Buy it!

At first I tried to compare it to MKDS, looking for flaws, but after a while you're having so much fun that nothing bothers you anymore. The tracks are unique and awesome. The coconut mall for example, at first it seems really bland and lame, untill you find out there are like 5 different routes you can take. It also takes quite some skill to master some bikes and karts. There is almost no lag(unless your connection sucks) and the game is just a blast to play with friends. The battle mode is the only thing that they screwed up.

Go buy it, practice with the Wii Wheel and most of all have fun!

Is the 150cc class fairly fast? I'm used to the speed of MKDS and was turned off by IGN's comments of MKWii being slower than MKDS.

I assume that is the class used for Time Trials, correct?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
Is the 150cc class fairly fast? I'm used to the speed of MKDS and was turned off by IGN's comments of MKWii being slower than MKDS.

I assume that is the class used for Time Trials, correct?

150cc is pretty fast and I *think* it's used for Time Trials. Unless you take snaking into account, I think MK Wii is the same speed as MKDS, if not faster.

Jirotrom said:
Your loss.

It all depends I guess. If you play mainly for the battle mode then you should probably let this pass - racing is only bested by SMK imo though.

And the way I see it battle mode has only been good in SMK anyways. I never had fun in battle mode after that.

Wizpig

I have to agree with Nintex when he says that after a while you can't look for flaws because the game is just SO MUCH FUN.

Is it better than my favourite MK - Mario Kart 64?
Who cares.

It's just pure FUN.
Nintendo made it again, folks.

maxmars

I for one don't find battle mode that lame.

In the end everyone gets points for what they accomplish, so it's not uncommon to lose, but at the same time to score more points than the people in the other team.

As for the new maps, I have to disagree: funky stadium is a blast with lots of people. The new blocks map creams the N64 one (again, with a decent number of people).

The roulette and desert maps are also cool in their own way (you must pay a lot of attention to the environment).

Oh and the old maps are still great, expecially the GBA and SNES ones.

All in all the new maps are good with many people, while the old ones are better with four or less people.

Basically all I play online is battle mode.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Struct09 said:
I like battle mode. Of course I would have preferred some FFA options, but it's fun for what it is.

Funky's Stadium is awesome :D
Funky Stadium makes me wish their was some sort of tricks mode where you get points for pulling off the most trick within a certain time.

BGBW said:
Funky Stadium makes me wish their was some sort of tricks mode where you get points for pulling off the most trick within a certain time.

Possibly to be available as one of the competitions, perhaps? I love the idea.

Solideliquid said:
For those that have played the game, is the online (matchmaking) going to be a pain like the first week of Smash Brothers Wii?

From my own experience (and not having experienced Smash) I've had no problems at all with the matchmaking. I'm at a reasonably competent level, and seem to have been matched with similarly leveled competitors. Likewise, my GF is at a much lower level (but by no means shit, lol) and she seems to be matched with similarly competent players too.

All in all a great experience... but I can only speak for my own observations.

Well what I mean is, when I purchased Smash either the netcode was just bad or the servers were inadequate. Either way I could never connect to a server and thus only played one match against only one opponent in the whole first week (and last) of owning the game.

I'm pretty turned off by the whole Wii online experience so far. Is this better?

Solideliquid said:
Well what I mean is, when I purchased Smash either the netcode was just bad or the servers were inadequate. Either way I could never connect to a server and thus only played one match against only one opponent in the whole first week (and last) of owning the game.

I'm pretty turned off by the whole Wii online experience so far. Is this better?

Judging by that... infinitely.

I've never had any problems connecting to Continental or Worldwide races. The only problem I've had was when I see someone in my friends list online and I try to join them - occasionally it comes back with a "Unable to join friend - please try later" message, but usually after another try or 2 I manage to get in.

So far I've seen no lag at all - even when playing whilst my GF is browsing online and simultaneously IM'ing.

... it's very bloody good IMO.

Infinitely better. This thread is full of very positive impressions about the online infrastructure. Personally, I'm getting 12 player games within seconds. Absolutely amazing.

@Monkeylord: That happens when you're friend is in a 12 player match already, no more players can join! Not a flaw in the system. :p

biodegradablebean said:
@Monkeylord: That happens when you're friend is in a 12 player match, no more players can join! Not a flaw in the system. :p

Oh, I gathered that much... but had to point it out as to be honest I couldn't find any other flaws, lol.

Ooh... actually I just thought of one - there's no way to cancel out of a match (that I've found). I can understand getting to the voting stage and committing, but there's been a few times where I'll have just finished a race and only just selected "next" only to have the doorbell ring, or phone go off.

... actually, that's not so much a flaw as it is bad timing, lol.

Solideliquid said:
For those that have played the game, is the online (matchmaking) going to be a pain like the first week of Smash Brothers Wii?

zero problems here. You can take all your concerns and flush'em away. This game is the pinnacle of Nintendo's online service. Fast, fun, awesome, a fucking drug. The only pain comes from blue shells on the fucking last two fucking seconds.

I'm just making an example, it's not that it happened to me..FUCK YES, IT HAPPENED THRICE TODAY, LOST -260 POINTS TOTAL

Captain N

I am looking forward to this game...I'm not kidding when I say that the Wii has brought my family together. I've got an older brother and sister who both have kids. They each got the Wii for their kids this past Holiday and ever since then we've all been playing each other in Wii..both online and off-line. Mario Kart Wii is going to be the next one we all play together. After that it will end up being Rock Band.

They should have made the battlemode costumizable.....i hope someone in the press actually tells them in an interview that they need to fix this for future versions or even dlc?

Proven

Solideliquid said:

From what I understand, every major Nintendo Online game to be released all the way from Mario Kart DS has had this first week "server crash" problem. And a lot of this is from experience. It then usually get 10x better the week after, or if you're like me and buy a lot of your games on Monday at Nintendo World, you actually get two or three days of great online before the masses get their hands on it and things go south.

Mario Kart Wii seems to be the first game to avoid this, and I wonder how much of this is due to the European market being smaller or people getting the game early making a more gradual ramp up or whatever.

Look at my Wii Wheel.

april2008pickup5.JPG

:D

Shig said:
Super Circuit had 20 as well, iirc.

I'm mostly cheesed that they put Yoshi Falls in there instead of Waluigi Pinball or Airship Fortress. :mad:

Same. I just can't understand why that track is in there. It's just not fun.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
biodegradablebean said:
Haven't experienced that yet. Though once I finished fourth (got passed by two racers the last few seconds) and still ended up being second in the results. Though it made sense because the two other players were very laggy (flying from left to right about the tracks).
don't forget thatquitters get pc controlled and dont disappear.

EDIT: whoever from nintendo was responsible for tuning the boost should be given medals and bags of cash.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
why is peach beach in there instead of the beach from N64? Is my memory clouded? I seem to remember the koopa trooper beach rocking soo hard with that big jump and the insane shortcut.

Peach beach is alright. But it's just alright. plus it has those shit guys that throw you in the sky. hate those guys.

<3 game.
<3 online implementation.

Lobster

Banned
Red Dolphin said:
Same. I just can't understand why that track is in there. It's just not fun.

Its one of the best courses to play when it comes to time trials..

well I felt that way when playing the DS version.

6 days left for Australian released :D Can't wait!

nli10

My GF got 5 evil cloud items in the same race last night - crazy bad luck (and she got hit by them all as it was only a 4 person race.

Her online rating is 3,800 (strated going back up now) and I'm playing as Guest with our comedy Miis (I was a Cyclops yesterday).

No one know of a way to both play with rankings at the same time? We got kicked yesterday off the server because I abandoned the wheel mid race and the game must have presumed that it was an attempt to fix the rankings. Pizza arriving > Mario Kart tho...

Ydahs

Does this game have profiles? Like separate save slots? Doubt it since all previous MKs haven't had it but it would be nice...

Top Bottom