• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

nilay

they should give u something for getting a 1 star+ on all grandprixs instead of a lame star next to your name (ill have this done by tomorow just gotta do speicial cup in mirror)

Wizpig

Anyway now i can safely say that the only shitty things about Mario Kart Wii are the Title Screens and the "3, 2, 1, Start" countdown.

A character on a White background?
Are you fucking shitting me?

Haunted

Wizpig said:
Hmm, how can you check if you already unlocked a "Super Ghost" in a Time Trial track? =(
If there are two "Nin &#9733;..." ghosts (one faster than your own time, one slower)... then you've got it. >_<

Alternatively, there's an excellent thread on the MKWii gamefaqs board detailing the approximate times you need to unlock the expert staff ghosts.

nilay said:
they should give u something for getting a 1 star+ on all grandprixs instead of a lame star next to your name (ill have this done by tomorow just gotta do speicial cup in mirror)
You do unlock a couple characters and bikes that way. There's no incentive getting two or three star ratings, though. Only robots do that.

Wizpig

Haunted One said:
If there are two "Nin &#9733;..." ghosts (one faster than your own time, one slower)... then you've got it. >_<

Alternatively, there's an excellent thread on the MKWii gamefaqs board detailing the approximate times you need to unlock the expert staff ghosts.

You do unlock a couple characters and bikes that way. There's no incentive getting two or three star ratings, though. Except you're a robot.
But... but... =(
I unlocked some Super Ghosts and then the older "Nin *" is replaced by the new, faster, one.
In other words, every single track got only ONE Nin ghost.

I'll check Gamefaqs...

Haunted

Wizpig said:
But... but... =(
I unlocked some Super Ghosts and then the older "Nin *" is replaced by the new, faster, one.
In other words, every single track got only ONE Nin ghost.

I'll check Gamefaqs...
Huh, did I remember wrong? In any case, that thread really is all you need.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Yeah, it seems the expert ghost just replaces the normal one. The only way I can figure out if an expert ghost is unlocked is if it's faster than my time, and checking them individually isn't fun at all.

Haunted

Ysiadmihi said:
Yeah, it seems the expert ghost just replaces the normal one. The only way I can figure out if an expert ghost is unlocked is if it's faster than my time, and checking them individually isn't fun at all.
Alright, my bad. Well, I did them in succession and all in the span of one evening, so it wasn't a big issue for me.

I seem to remember if you've unlocked the expert ghost when you select the track your ghost data comes up first and you have to press right to get the the expert ghost, when usually the standard ghost is the first one to appear....

if that makes sense, not a very obvious way of figuring it out AY

Wizpig

wind_steaker said:
I seem to remember if you've unlocked the expert ghost when you select the track your ghost data comes up first and you have to press right to get the the expert ghost, when usually the standard ghost is the first one to appear....

if that makes sense, not a very obvious way of figuring it out AY
This man speaks the truth.

maxmars

A question about online features.

I've tried several times in the past few days to join a match in progress with someone on my friends list, but it always said that it couldn't connect. Since the online part has been rock solid apart from this (could connect both to friends and strangers), what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Milpool

maxmars said:
A question about online features.

I've tried several times in the past few days to join a match in progress with someone on my friends list, but it always said that it couldn't connect. Since the online part has been rock solid apart from this (could connect both to friends and strangers), what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

I get that now and then, I just assumed that they're in a 12 player race and there's no room for me. Unless you know for sure that they're not?

maxmars

Milpool said:
I get that now and then, I just assumed that they're in a 12 player race and there's no room for me. Unless you know for sure that they're not?

Well, I don't know as it doesn't tell me that. But it's entirely possible, thanks for the tip.

man, I don't know if I will keep playing this. The fact you lose more points if you're a higher rank is really pissing me off; losing over 300 points in two races just because some asshat pushes you down a bridge while you're first really is nerve crushing

crispyben

Wizpig said:
Finished it.
Unlocked all the unlockables, did what i could for the Star Rankings [at least 1 on every GP].
100%.
Only the Mirror Lightning and Special Cups left here. The more I get frustrated, the more I want to play!

meppi

Anasui Kishibe said:
man, I don't know if I will keep playing this. The fact you lose more points if you're a higher rank is really pissing me off; losing over 300 points in two races just because some asshat pushes you down a bridge while you're first really is nerve crushing
I know what you mean. It can be extremely frustrating playing against certain type of people.
But then it's oh so sweet when you get to endure 3 blue shells and a whole other bunch of stuff and still pull in first against the same idiots. :lol

Haunted

Wizpig said:
This man speaks the truth.
So I was right all along!

Sweet sweet vindication.

And don't put that much stock in your ratings. It's just a number, it certainly shouldn't be the reason you stop playing the game.

Wizpig said:
It's quite satisfying to have both the Golden Wheel icon AND a little Star icon next to your Nickname. :D
Don't play against Drake
3 fucking stars :eek: And that was last week.

kottila

Anasui Kishibe said:

It's just a number. It doesn't mean anything at all.

Wizpig

Haunted One said:
So I was right all along!

Sweet sweet vindication.
But the Expert Ghost still replaces the other Ghost, so you were 50% right. :lol

But yeah, that GFAQs thread is awesome and is by all means all you need for those Ghosts.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:

Lately I've just been hanging back in 2nd place or so until I can get a mushroom. It's not worth taking 1st unless you have an item that can avoid blue shells.

Teddman

For U.S. gamers--any good retail deals on this out there? I didn't see any mention of Mario Kart Wii in the Sunday paper ads.

And when does the game come out? This Tuesday or on Sunday?

TAYREL713

It comes out Sunday. Target will have Wii's in stock. I will not be there as I requested Sunday off for this occasion.I will be attending a midnight opening event the night before at my Awesome Lakewood, OH Gamestop and hopefully having earned the right to play as my Mii a few hours in.

kottila

Anasui Kishibe said:
agreed to those who say it's just a number, but still, it's a really weird scoring system

I kinda like it. It gives you an idea of how good people are and at the same time, it means that you don't have to play 24 hours a day to be "ranked" high (like Mario Strikers)

Weenerz

Banned
Teddman said:
For U.S. gamers--any good retail deals on this out there? I didn't see any mention of Mario Kart Wii in the Sunday paper ads.

And when does the game come out? This Tuesday or on Sunday?

All the major Nintendo games get released on Sundays.

clav

Ysiadmihi said:
Lately I've just been hanging back in 2nd place or so until I can get a mushroom. It's not worth taking 1st unless you have an item that can avoid blue shells.
Wait, how do you avoid blue shells?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
HaloFans said:
Wait, how do you avoid blue shells?

Use a mushroom when the blue shell dives at you. It actually dives at the ground, so when you boost forward it misses you completely. And of course, a star, Bullet Bill or any item like that will also let you avoid the shell if you can manage to make it to 1st place with one of those.

meppi

Wizpig said:
It's quite satisfying to have both the Golden Wheel icon AND a little Star icon next to your Nickname. :D
Good to know both the wheel and the stars show up, I was actually wondering about that.

I've been putting nearly all my spare time into this game and yet there are still so many things that I have barely touched. Battle Mode, Time Trials (which are incredibly fun btw) and even the GP mode have been put on the backburner due to the great online VS mode.
And there are still the weekly challenges coming up.

Man, I think I could easily go through the summer with just this one game. But I won't of course. ;)

iidesuyo

Yesterday I played online together with a friend... the game got serious framerate problems on the autumn ring track, often dropping below 30fps :-( This combined with lag made the track nearly unplayable. Using green shells was useless. I drove over the finishing line as 2nd but was only 5th in the end, wtf??

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Downloaded the fastest ghost for Moonview Highway and noticed the guy uses automatic power slide. I guess that's a much better option for tracks with long, straight roads. Tried doing it on Mario Circuit 3 and lost about 150 points :lol

crispyben

crispyben said:
Only the Mirror Lightning and Special Cups left here. The more I get frustrated, the more I want to play!
Done! The Special Cup eventually yielded a two-star rating :D Now I can brag online...

Ysiadmihi

Banned
crispyben said:
Done! The Special Cup eventually yielded a two-star rating :D Now I can brag online...

Unless you can get three stars there will be no bragging :lol

Actually, congratulations. I'm not going to bother with getting anything higher than a one-star ranking. I can only manage two stars on 50cc because of my luck with blue shells.

crispyben

Ysiadmihi said:
Unless you can get three stars there will be no bragging :lol
True, that was just a goal I set myself. I don't have anybody to brag to anyway, it'll just warm my heart to see that lone star next to my name!

Ysiadmihi said:
Actually, congratulations. I'm not going to bother with getting anything higher than a one-star ranking. I can only manage two stars on 50cc because of my luck with blue shells.
I do have one three-star ranking and a few two-star rankings, but my overall rank is one-star and I'll happily leave it at that. It felt like the right difficulty for me. From now one it'll all be online for me :D And I'll have to try the wheel in earnest too.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Damn this game is addictive, especially online. Getting stars in each grandprix is going to be difficult.

I thought there would be more of an online community on gaf though, the thread in the online forum is dead.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Roders5 said:
Damn this game is addictive, especially online. Getting stars in each grandprix is going to be difficult.

I thought there would be more of an online community on gaf though, the thread in the online forum is dead.
The best thing about this Mario Kart is that it keeps track of individual statistics against friends. For instance I always knew I was better than my brother at this game, but now I can prove it!

Ydahs

Monkeylord said:
Yes, there's 4 save files (known in the game as "Licences").
And each with its own online profile? That's really awesome!

I'll be getting this tomorrow. Don't know if I can play it much since I have school + footy training though I'll post some early impressions.

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Mirror mode should not be allowed on random online play, it's a total mind fuck for me especially seeing as I have Ideational dyspraxia.

totally agree with this one. Got three fucking mirror tracks in a row yesterday: Rainbow Road, Moonview and Shy Guy Beach

I'm back to 6550 points

I have to say, that the 'one more race' -factor online is a real kicker. I also love the fact that even if I have only 30 minutes of time to play, I can kick back, join a race online, race a few and then quit. Just innocent, sometimes nerve-wrecking but still light-hearted fun.

Consider me entertained!

Surfheart

I'm sorry if this has already been answered in the thread, but alot of the movies I've seen of single player has the characters name's written above them. Is it possible to turn them off?

maxmars

Surfheart said:
I'm sorry if this has already been answered in the thread, but alot of the movies I've seen of single player has the characters name's written above them. Is it possible to turn them off?

Haven't seen such an option.

Oh dear god. I though I was well on my way to 8000 when I hit 7800, but I was mainly playing against 5000-6000'er. For some reason after about half an hour players on my server had been completely replaced with 6000-8000'ers and my days it was brilliant. It was a little strange - normally I only have to worry about red and blue shells when I'm in first, but the pack was so tight I could be in first on the third lap and still get hit by invincibility or a rocket. I like it but I don't think there's a way to win based on skill rather than luck. Still feels great when you do!

Top Bottom