• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

Wizpig

Surfheart said:
I'm sorry if this has already been answered in the thread, but alot of the movies I've seen of single player has the characters name's written above them. Is it possible to turn them off?
Nope.
Why would you do that?

Lobster

Banned
Got it today at Aussie launch. Over 30 people waiting at JBHi-Fi.

How do you drift????? I am confused!

The Wii Wheel works amazingly well and 2 player online rocks! I just versed some guy from France with the name "Free Tibet", people from Japan, Germany, Britain! Rocks my Socks!

Rlan

Just got it in Australia, along with the Australian Game Code.

Got this e-mail:
Hello,

Nintendo Australia would like to welcome you to Club Nintendo.

Now that you have registered your Nintendo product, you have started saving up your Stars points. We are working hard to complete the Club Nintendo website, which will let you choose premium items from the upcoming Stars Catalogue in exchange for Stars awarded to you through product registration.

Although the website is not finished yet, you have registered your product and reserved your Stars. We will email you as soon as the website is completed and Club Nintendo is launched so you will be able to sign up as a full member and redeem your Stars.

Thank you from the Nintendo Australia Team.

Lobster

Banned
Rlan said:
Just got it in Australia, along with the Australian Game Code.

Got this e-mail:

Yeah got that too.

Weird that they don't let you do it on your members page. It also looks like club nintendo is starting with Mario Kart and we can't register our old games..

Tenbatsu

Ysiadmihi said:
What? If you're asking if you can do battle mode online with strangers, you can.
I guess the US server is not up or something, all I can do is to just battle people's Ghost rankings. Theres no option to battle in Grand Prix or anything.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
I guess the US server is not up or something, all I can do is to just battle people's Ghost rankings. Theres no option to battle in Grand Prix or anything.

Uh if you mean playing online you're probably looking in the wrong place. On the main menu, the bottom left option is for online play (with 1 or 2 players), the bottom right option is the Mario Kart Channel, which is for checking rankings and stuff.

Tenbatsu

Ysiadmihi said:
Uh if you mean playing online you're probably looking in the wrong place. On the main menu, the bottom left option is for online play (with 1 or 2 players), the bottom right option is the Mario Kart Channel, which is for checking rankings and stuff.
OIC, thank you very much, no wonder I cant find the random battle option.

Ydahs

Well, here are my brief impressions:

Got back from footy training to see my brother playing this game. Bought a cheap 3rd party Wii wheel which I didn't like too much.

Anyway, after coming 12th in the first two races I finally began getting used to the Wii Wheel. Played another dozen matches and finished between 1st and 6th.

Got used to it much quicker then I expected and it's actually a neat piece of plastic.

I don't see it offering the precision of a normal controller but it's fun to use and does its job. It'll probably be my main choice for this game.

Rubber banding is as obvious as ever. Was 11th, got the bullet thingy and ended up 2nd! Only seen a couple blue shells in a dozen matches, which might be a good thing.

Played all the mushrooms levels, liked them except for one. The one with lots of mushrooms which you jump on... other than that he levels have been great!

Graphics seem pretty good, though could've been much better. Sound is good, but not great.

Have yet to play online, but my brother said it ran flawlessly.

Well, so far so good, though I might give the game a rest as I want to finish ZacknWiki and No More Heroes first =)

HoTHiTTeR

Dear Calendar,

Please rename today, Thursday April 24th, to Sunday April 27th, so that I may acquire Mario Kart in North America.

Thanks,

HH

Milabrega

big_z said:
holy fucking shit at the commercials for this game. first nintendo mistake of the wii generation?

http://media.wii.ign.com/articles/868/868745/vids_1.html

Horrible commercials. Terrible. Was the marketing department recently all let off? Hopefully those are just regional commercials for the South/mid West. Even then those regions may be turned off by that awful presentation of an idea that was probably better looking on paper.

ziran

Really loving it! :D

And the game plays really well with the Wii Wheel, which is surprising.

Puzzled by the mixed views this game is getting, especially by the people who are saying MKDS awesome, MKWii crap. To me they're basically the same core game, with MKWii having more great stuff, and online and multiplayer is stellar!

I'd rank it up their with the best Mario Karts (for me SNES, DS, Wii - in no particular order), and it might end up being the best version yet. Definitely a GOTY contender.

Shiggy

Milabrega said:
Was the marketing department recently all let off?

Not let off, but they did not want to move to San Francisco ^^
The German ads are quite good, though they use the NunChuk instead of the WiiWheel which is kind of funny.

TiVo

So is the game on sale at NWS in NY on Saturday or is it just early hands-on. Cause I will pick up a Wii & the game. One night in town and I am deciding whether or not to go on Sat or Sun.

Something bizarre just happened to me online
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRO5cYZ-AcE

Someone must have had a bad connection, because the game just sat there for a few minutes with lakitu bobbing up and down. It was a VERY generous timeout. I went to my PC to make sure no Torrents were running or anything, went downstairs to get my phone and within 27 seconds of filming that it booted me into a race. 6 racers went down to 2. I got beat by the other player and still won some points cos the other people dropped. :D

Tim-E

evilromero said:
First thing Sunday morning I'm driving my ass to BB and getting this game. Sucks there's no midnight launch.

I'm picking mine up at midnight from Blockbuster. Hell, I got a flyer in the mail saying fucking Sam's Club is doing a midnight release of it. And they usually close at like, 8:30.

Tim-E said:
I'm picking mine up at midnight from Blockbuster. Hell, I got a flyer in the mail saying fucking Sam's Club is doing a midnight release of it. And they usually close at like, 8:30.
Strange. Where do you live? I am guessing Oklahoma is shying away from midnight launches.

sk3tch

My local Game Crazy is also doing a Midnight launch. I've got the game and an additional Nintendo wheel pre-ordered. I also have the fridge stocked with beers and I'm loaded up on snacks. Having friends over for some Mario Kart 64 beforehand and then Mario Kart Wii after Midnight!

I can't confirm if this is happening with all the Sam's but I'll give them a call later to see what's up. Hopefully this is going down in OKC.

xcomp

Picked up a copy myself. There were plenty available over here in the UK both online and offline even a week after release but, now it appears to be sold out in most places ^^;

Some mixed feelings about this game.

Single player's been as fun and challenging as before. Pretty much same experience but the new moves you can pull off with the bikes are great and so are the items like the Mega Mushroom. I tried playing with the wheel for a few hours and although it's pretty responsive, I still can't help but feel like I'm playing that farm racing game "Charge!" from Wii Play so I just went back to the old controls.

Online has been well presented and surprisingly smooth. I was expecting lag with 12 players but I've seen little even though my Wii's connected wirelessly. Pretty cool watching the Miis appear on the world map and the live matches that are being played.

What I don't really like is the ranking points. They don't seem to be a very good gauge of your opponents skills because I saw a few in the 6000s dropping back to the 4000s during some games. There's also not as much incentive to play as on the DS other than knowing you're up against other human players. You can play as many matches as you want, it never ends and there's no rankings based on your wins and losses like in Mario Strikers.

That aside, the game looks and sounds great. Almost reminds me of Mario Galaxy with some of the designs although you can see the character models aren't quite as detailed when the camera zooms in.

There hasn't been any competitions yet, has there? It just says keep your WiiConnect24 on and wait for notification. I'm curious to know what they'll be.

Anyway, I'll probably see you guys in some of the VS matches. It's kind of getting boring with everyone picking the same tracks all the time. Too many Coconut Malls and DS Delfino Squares...

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Picked up a copy at lunch - so far I'm loving it. Haven't played without motion controls or online (motion controls = garbage, imo) but I can't wait to get home and really get into it.

I got my shipping notification from FamilyVideo so I think I'll definitely have it on Monday. One whole day the play the hell out of it before GTA distracts me.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
DKo5 said:
Picked up a copy at lunch - so far I'm loving it. Haven't played without motion controls or online (motion controls = garbage, imo) but I can't wait to get home and really get into it.

Wiimote + Nunchuk is the only way to play. The GCN and CC do nothing better and it's harder to do tricks while drifting and stuff.

Wizpig

For our American friends who will buy this awesome game in days here's a little guide.
HOW TO PLAY MARIO KART WII:

don't take this seriously
- Wii Wheel is your first choice, it's 100% fun and that's it, if you don't use it damn you.
- Mote+Chuck is your second choice, but if you use these Online against Wii Wheel users you are cheap, because you can win easily.
- Gamecube/Classic Pad: Pick this + a motorbike and it's like snaking in Mario Kart DS, only that this doesn't really ruins the game like snaking, but it's frustrating to see a NGC Pad user who can do tricks with his Bike a lot of times in sequence. If you use this, you suck at this game. Hard.

legend166

Got the game yesterday. Really loving it. Haven't had a chance to get online yet, been playing a crapload of multi with the family.

I remember seeing a page where it shows all your stats, like how far you've driven, wins, etc. How do I access that?

Wizpig

legend166 said:
Got the game yesterday. Really loving it. Haven't had a chance to get online yet, been playing a crapload of multi with the family.

I remember seeing a page where it shows all your stats, like how far you've driven, wins, etc. How do I access that?
After you press "A" or "2" to start the game, same screen with "1 Player, Nintendo WFC, Multiplayer, Mario Kart Channel".

It's in the upper-right corner of that screen.

Struct09

I finally got some sit down time with the game today, and I'm very impressed by the Wheel. It takes a few races to get used to doing manual sliding with it, but once you get it down it feels great. Definitely the way I'm going to play the game from now on :D

Top Bottom