• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official original designs and story details from Versus XIII/FFXV surface

That's some great concept art.
Stella seemed like a great protagonist too, wonder if she'll reappear someday with a different name, like FFXVI.

It happened before so who knows? Setzer from FFVI was a scrapped concept from FFV, Edea, Fujin and Raijin from FFVIII were scrapped concepts from FFVII. Cloud from FFVII is also pretty much a realization of the scrapped male main character from FFVI.

theofficefan99

Noctis in Nomura's trailers seemed like a completely different personality compared to Tabata's Noctis. With Nomura, he always had a serious, gloomy expression.

tumblr_ollnb0LRqP1uvosl0o1_500.gif

Dialogue from the gif

Noctis: Do you have a plan? Something 10 times worse than their own?
Ignis: I am going to think a way to return it hundredfold
Noctis: ''small bitter smile''

Sad that this gif is more exciting and higher budget than anything we got in XV. But open world and cup noodles!!!1111!!! so it's okay

Ydelnae

If I'm being honest, the Stella design from this storyboard looks the worst from all the Stella/Luna design. If it was close to the final design for her, I'm glad it got redesigned again as Luna. Nothing beats the white top and black dress, though.

CheckMate

I blame FFVII Remake for the death of the original XV. Square obviously saw a better opportunity in making that a trilogy instead of new IP.

If only someone at Square hadn’t made that PS3 tech demo….who knew memes can kill.

Philippo

By the way, for those who still don't understand the appeal of Stella, there's this post that pretty much sums it up :

Oh, man, I remember writing this one and being completely ignored by people just saying to let it go. Came as a surprise while I was browsing this.

I am more concerned how long it would take SE to think up of another (offline) mainline FF heroine that doesn't fit the mold of the FF archetype, making her a unique character. I sure hope it doesn't take another 10 years. Not that Stella might have been an archetype herself, but at least conceptually, she was already represented as someone against those archetypes.

That long post is a killer post, and that description of Stella can be extended to Versus XIII as a whole, is just how strikingly different from what we got before.

I just hope SE has the strenght to come up with something just as surprising again for a mainline FF.
And actually deliver this time.

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/P7TA4c1.jpg[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/QSbIJfk.jpg[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/3Dm668d.jpg[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/tZHjQe0.jpg[/IMG]

Mifec

Going through design documents and art works is probably much more interesting than what we got.

That's really not that hard when they even managed to make the world in a FF game boring with this one.

The meteor crater and altissia were the only interesting looking areas. In a fucking FF game.

Jesus Christ.

I'll never understand this obsession with stella that some people have. we knew little to nothing about her, how are some of you so damn attached?!

OrionX

That's really not that hard when they even managed to make the world in a FF game boring with this one.

The meteor crater and altissia were the only interesting looking areas. In a fucking FF game.

Jesus Christ.

Hey now... Tenebrae was a beautiful... background. lol

Gbraga

Noctis in Nomura's trailers seemed like a completely different personality compared to Tabata's Noctis. With Nomura, he always had a serious, gloomy expression.

tumblr_ollnb0LRqP1uvosl0o1_500.gif

Dialogue from the gif

Noctis: Do you have a plan? Something 10 times worse than their own?
Ignis: I am going to think a way to return it hundredfold
Noctis: ''small bitter smile''

I love this scene, but the bolded is false. Just rewatch the 2011 trailer and look at the amount of times he says some typical dumb shounen protagonist line, in the vein of "I'M STRONG, I CAN HANDLE IT!!!!", over and over again. Or the 2008(?) car CG bits, with him looking goofy with his friends.

Noctis is definitely not what I'd point to in order to complain about the original vision, he's great in the final game.

This Stella looks awesome, though, her best design yet, do we know how far along was this? She didn't look that good in the 2013 trailer, but some of the art is definitely pre-2013 trailer, as it looks like reference art for the trailer itself.

Also, do we know who's the artist behind them? It doesn't look like Nomura's style, but I really really like it.

Socivol

From Episode Duscae

latest

I always wonder what happened to this plot point as well as Noctis sleeping all the time. All they had to do to incorporate the red moon was to say that it was from the Starsourge. Seeing this is making me so annoyed at all of the great ideas and had but the subpar execution.

Socivol

Oh, completely missed that, amnesia it is lol.

I also missed the fact that Gentiana's outfit color scheme was the reverse of Ravus'. That's a pretty neat concept. As with everyone here, I wonder if she played the yin (or the yang) to Ravus' yang (or yin) when it comes to Stella.

Possibly, Roberto Ferrarri actually said that Gentiana's original role was as a messanger to Niflheim for Stella. He also previously mentioned that they changed her outfit that he designed but kept her face pretty much intact.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No they're not.

They are paper thin anime archetypes ,and their irrelevant(hilarious)meme spouting on the overworld got old pretty fast.
You really, really hate this game huh? Every single thread has you shitting on it at least four times.

This is a similar sentiment to what quite a few people in this thread have said, but it doesn't really bother me that we didn't get the original version of Versus XIII, as I liked the core story concepts behind FFXV even if I was quite frustrated with the execution of it all. What does disappoint me is that looking at these storyboards/concept art, this version of Versus/FFXV looks like a denser version of the FFXV that we ultimately got. It's the little things, like Stella/Luna with Noctis, Stella/Luna and Noctis using some damn phones, Stellna and Gentiana bonding, Ravus being more prominent, and more stronger use of the supporting cast. Umbra having a human form would have at least added another supporting character, as FFXV was quite lean in that regard.

I love the designs of Gentiana and Ravus being echos of each other, with Ravus white outfit/black arm, and Gentiana's black outfit/white arm-pauldron thing. Gentiana's design in general here looks great.

This is me assuming the art is Ferrari's: even though the way a lot of his concept art sexualizes and objectifies female characters disappoints me, I still think he and Soejima are two of the rare concept artists off the top of my head that effortlessly can design actual fashionable clothes. I think Cindy's design when taken as a whole is terrible, but the individual pieces are absolutely brilliant - her hat, her jacket, her belt, her boots. (Just, you know, terrible for a mechanic.) If the art isn't Ferrari's, it's great, whoever it is.

In one of the concept art pieces, there's one a blonde haired man with short hair and white outfit, kinda looks like Rufus Shinra - I wonder if it was the same man that was by Iedolas' side in the original Versus/FFXV trailers. He always had a very distinctive character design that stood out from the other Nifelheim characters, I was surprised to see him cut.

Bit random, also props to whoever did Prompto's and
Araena's
designs for the new FFXV DLC, they both look great.

Young Noctis actually looks his age (but still badass) when Ferrari draws him.

I would love to see him draw Squall in a hypothetical FFVIII remake.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is a similar sentiment to what quite a few people in this thread have said, but it doesn't really bother me that we didn't get the original version of Versus XIII, as I liked the core story concepts behind FFXV even if I was quite frustrated with the execution of it all. What does disappoint me is that looking at these storyboards/concept art, this version of Versus/FFXV looks like a denser version of the FFXV that we ultimately got. It's the little things, like Stella/Luna with Noctis, Stella/Luna and Noctis using some damn phones, Stellna and Gentiana bonding, Ravus being more prominent, and more stronger use of the supporting cast. Umbra having a human form would have at least added another supporting character, as FFXV was quite lean in that regard.

I love the designs of Gentiana and Ravus being echos of each other, with Ravus white outfit/black arm, and Gentiana's black outfit/white arm-pauldron thing. Gentiana's design in general here looks great.

This is me assuming the art is Ferrari's: even though the way a lot of his concept art sexualizes and objectifies female characters disappoints me, I still think he and Soejima are two of the rare concept artists off the top of my head that effortlessly can design actual fashionable clothes. I think Cindy's design when taken as a whole is terrible, but the individual pieces are absolutely brilliant - her hat, her jacket, her belt, her boots. (Just, you know, terrible for a mechanic.) If the art isn't Ferrari's, it's great, whoever it is.

In one of the concept art pieces, there's one a blonde haired man with short hair and white outfit, kinda looks like Rufus Shinra - I wonder if it was the same man that was by Iedolas' side in the original Versus/FFXV trailers. He always had a very distinctive character design that stood out from the other Nifelheim characters, I was surprised to see him cut.

Bit random, also props to whoever did Prompto's and
Araena's
designs for the new FFXV DLC, they both look great.
Agree 100% on the Versus vs. XV argument. XV had all the same potential Versus did, it just didn't reach the full extent of that potential. What we're left with is a conceptual game with great ideas vs. an actual game with great ideas and flawed execution. Naturally, people look at the little we can confirm of what was in Versus and think, "wow, this looks so much better!" Without realizing that it never had an execution at all; it could have easily been just as flawed. The core concept between the two does not seem that different to me (aside from Stella, who... yeah, I'm not touching this argument right now)

I never noticed blonde guy before. Huh.

The Umbra human form art matches with the leaks about the dogs having human forms and the leaked artwork of an unknown character that Roberto Ferrari said he couldn't comment on:

xJbBGeA.jpg

I don't know how much of what leaks are true, but from the info trickling out it seems like they hit a lot of things on the nose.

I didn't notice the blonde guy either.

Also I wonder where that Umbra leak really came from.

And yes, Roberto Ferrari is a good artist. Glad he liked working with Nomura.

thank the director:

latest

At least he released 3 offline HD FF games on a cursed engine and delivered on time for the 2 sequels.

Toriyama is probably a good director, and his games were decent.

Joqu

I always wonder what happened to this plot point as well as Noctis sleeping all the time. All they had to do to incorporate the red moon was to say that it was from the Starsourge. Seeing this is making me so annoyed at all of the great ideas and had but the subpar execution.

Oh, now this really bothers me. The Noctis sleeping all the time thing clearly used to have some sort of significance, and even in the final game it's still relevant in some ways, but it's never actually addressed as anything but a character quirk in the final version. Like, what?

Mr. RHC

Because in the Versus trailer she was presented as the FF version of Claire Danes in Romeo + Juliet and people love that version of the story.

Classic film. I've only seen it like once, time to see it again.

(aside from Stella, who... yeah, I'm not touching this argument right now)

Oh, now I'm interested. :D

The Umbra human form art matches with the leaks about the dogs having human forms and the leaked artwork of an unknown character that Roberto Ferrari said he couldn't comment on:

xJbBGeA.jpg

Looks so familiar... hmmm...

latest
Early Squall?

ED Cantu

tw2HDHV.jpg

Yeah this guy always was by Iedolas' side in the trailers until he was removed, I can't remember where but I read a rumor that he supposedly was Niflheim's prince, if true maybe he was Iedolas' son or grandson.

SolVanderlyn

On blonde guy, there was this info from the most recent "leak:"

-There were a line of side missions involving Loqi, a general of Niflheim, beginning in the second game. He looked different than in the final version.

Maybe it's just a different design for Loqi.

Balls

Banned
Man the concept for VersusXIII/XV has always been so interesting to me but the execution was just terrible. At least 50% of what we've seen in trailers and news over the years was cut in the final game.

Sigh...you have a point. Okay. I'll stop with the defense force and instead focus on the topic on hand.

But please others do the same if you're so tired of it.

SolVanderlyn

Welcome to every FF XV thread. The defense force for both XV and Versus is pretty insane. Not to mention the Tabata praise.
The reverse is also true. The hate brigade and Tabata pitchfork mobs are just as ubiquitous.

theofficefan99

I'd say you're reaching, that shit wasn't in those games. Try again.

Oh yeah. Good point lol. At least those games don't have a chapter where 5 minutes of it is spent fighting a couple enemies in the most nonsensical manner possible and then the rest of the chapter is either shoving product placement in your place or ending the chapter unlike this game.

of course. He's the best.

1447975034310.png

Tabata? Nomura? pfft

Yeah. Try to dismiss years of work just because of a quote you don't agree with. We know it, he likes Lightning, we know the memes.

I'd say you're reaching, that shit wasn't in those games. Try again.
Oh yeah. Good point lol. At least those games don't have a chapter where 5 minutes of it is spent fighting a couple enemies in the most nonsensical manner possible and then the rest of the chapter is either shoving product placement in your place or ending the chapter unlike this game.

Slater

Banned

? Cup noodles wasn't a chapter, twas a simple sidequest

Top Bottom