• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official original designs and story details from Versus XIII/FFXV surface

addik

The Noctis that Nomura envisioned was a huge douchebag. I like the one created by Tabata more. I don't like another emo teen story with Noctis after we already suffered through Sora.

As you said, we barely knew about both Noctis and Stella on Versus so I think it's a stretch to say that he was going to have "another emo teen story" or is a "douchebag" in the Versus game. At the very least, he was a much more grim and quiet character, which I'm not sure if I'd like to be honest (I didn't want to play through another Squall).

????

D3CyIrd.png

They're legit camping out in the wild like in the final game in one of these pics.

yeah I saw that. But since the car and road trip was made into such a big thing for this game you'd think it would be here.

Laplasakos

The Noctis that Nomura envisioned was a huge douchebag. I like the one created by Tabata more. I don't like another emo teen story with Noctis after we already suffered through Sora.

I disagree. Basically

Noctis learns the empire invaded Insomnia and killed his dad
Tabata's Noctis: Huh? Are you kidding me? ''Sits on the armchair looking down the space''. Bursts into tears after Cor explaining.

Noctis after Insomnia invasion in Versus
Nomura's Noctis: I'll kill them all! Did you guys see how strong i am? Ignis find a way to return the favor 10 times worse their own. ''leaves full of determination and angry''

Makes me sad that Sakaguchi won't be in the credits for Remake. Unless it has a "Based on the story by:" thing.

It'll probably be there, I would imagine there will be a "based on" original FF7 in the credits for the remake.

Just noticed that black-with-white-arm Gentiana and white-with-black-arm Ravus have inverse color schemes. Maybe they were originally supposed to be contrasting characters pulling Stella in different directions.

Yep, agreed, seems like it.

Oh, man, I remember writing this one and being completely ignored by people just saying to let it go. Came as a surprise while I was browsing this.

That was a great post.

Slater

Banned
For all of XV's problems Noct being a goofy nerd who hates veggies, hugs cbocobos, feeds stray cats and writes to the girl he likes in a diary isn't really one of them.

As you said, we barely knew about both Noctis and Stella on Versus so I think it's a stretch to say that he was going to have "another emo teen story" or is a "douchebag" in the Versus game. At the very least, he was a much more grim and quiet character, which I'm not sure if I'd like to be honest (I didn't want to play through another Squall).
I'm still wondering why some people say it isn't fair to compare past Noctis to current Noctis when lots of them do the same thing with Stella and Luna.

Either way these comparisons have gone on for too long now.

Well... yeh. We don't know shit about what Nomura had in mind for Noctis and Stella and he seemed to change their personality every year after watching a new movie. First it was hamlet then romeo and juliet then it was supposed to be a dead girl friend relationship between Noctis and Stella (4chan rumors). Just going by all the early Versus concepts.

But again, this just proves my point that there is no use beating the old dead horse which is Stella. Let her be forgotten and move on. Same for Noctis Uchiha.

Laplasakos

While it's true we don't know much for Noctis and Stella from Versus, it's not hard to understand that he had a different personality by watching the Versus XIII trailer with subs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6kNTfS4320

assuming you have played XV so you have an idea of Nocti's personality in the game.

And again that isn't accurate at all, Genesis is a huge retcon he created and shoved into the middle of the story, just stop dude saying he has nothing to do with it is a lie, plain and simple

> Responsible for all the Genesis bullshit

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/04/28/crisis-core-final-fantasy-vii-uk-interview?page=2

Perhaps the most unusual element of the development team, though, is the crazy Japanese rock star, Gackt. His original involvement with Square Enix and Final Fantasy was singing the theme music for Dirge of Cerberus, and appearing in a minor character role in that game. But Imaizumi explains that he thought such a passing role was a bit of a waste, so he asked for more involvement. "I went to eat with him one time and described the Final Fantasy VII universe in rich detail," he explains. "And it turned into this process of collaboration, creating the character together." Together, they came up with a new character called Genesis, describing everything from his attitude to his clothes. "Then we went to the studio and recorded the Japanese voice with all that in mind. So he really was a creative partner in all of this. And we really wanted the connection between Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core." Which, of course, Gackt (who has now taken to dressing up as Genesis during his concerts), provides.

Last I checked Hideki Imaizumi isn't an alias for Tetsuya Nomura.

addik

Oh wait, the party scene is dead too then right? They're childhood friends already. So there goes half the appeal people had with Stella.

I don't think... that was ever confirmed? What was confirmed (I think through the party scene) was Stella and Noctis both having near-death experiences when they were young.

ED Cantu

I don't know where did you take that from Nomura's Noctis but I disagree, for example Noctis' conversation with Stella shows him being shy infront of her and also gentle, he even tells her to drop the honorific when adressing him and to call him just Noct. In other trailers from the "Nomura era" we hear and see Noctis being pretty excited about his new powers so much so that he thinks he can take everyone down by himself, also being very focused on saving his father.

So again I don't know when Noctis was shown to be a douchebag or gloomy, to me he seemed like a normal gentle guy that liked to put a facade of being cool, and maybe being a little overconfident in his abilities.

I don't know where did you take that from Nomura's Noctis but I disagree, for example Noctis' conversation with Stella shows him being shy infront of her and also gentle, he even tells her to drop the honorific when adressing him and to call him just Noct. In other trailers from the "Nomura era" we hear and see Noctis being pretty excited about his new powers so much so that he thinks he can take everyone down by himself, also being very focused on saving his father.

So again I don't know when Noctis was shown to be a douchebag or gloomy, to me he seemed like a normal gentle guy that liked to put a facade of being cool, and maybe being a little overconfident in his abilities.
If I remember correctly, back in the days of Versus, Nomura stated that Noctis is somewhat of a dork but tries to act cool in front of others. Especially girls. He's okay with his friends though.

wmlk

I don't think... that was ever confirmed? What was confirmed (I think through the party scene) was Stella and Noctis both having near-death experiences when they were young.

The party scene was them meeting for the first time. I find it hard to believe that it was still like that in the final game since we see childhood shots of them here with the flowers. Unless they suffer from memory loss. But Luna herself being into the same flowers in the final game, I think that's less likely.

addik

I think he's referring to this:
SL9CAup.jpg

Maybe they got amnesia, lol

Oh, completely missed that, amnesia it is lol.

I also missed the fact that Gentiana's outfit color scheme was the reverse of Ravus'. That's a pretty neat concept. As with everyone here, I wonder if she played the yin (or the yang) to Ravus' yang (or yin) when it comes to Stella.

ED Cantu

If I remember correctly, back in the days of Versus, Nomura stated that Noctis is somewhat of a dork but tries to act cool in front of others. Especially girls. He's okay with his friends though.

Oh yeah now I remember that.

I mean, I like the Noctis we got in the end, he's still kind of a dork and his interactions with his friends are great, I just would have liked if he would have kept some of the confidense and determination he showed when Nomura was in charge.

Basically like this example:

I disagree. Basically

Noctis learns the empire invaded Insomnia and killed his dad
Tabata's Noctis: Huh? Are you kidding me? ''Sits on the armchair looking down the space''. Bursts into tears after Cor explaining.

Noctis after Insomnia invasion in Versus
Nomura's Noctis: I'll kill them all! Did you guys see how strong i am? Ignis find a way to return the favor 10 times worse their own. ''leaves full of determination and angry''

Akainu

The party scene was them meeting for the first time. I find it hard to believe that it was still like that in the final game since we see childhood shots of them here with the flowers. Unless they suffer from memory loss. But Luna herself being into the same flowers in the final game, I think that's less likely.

Well they both got their powers from a near death experience so they could have met in some purgatory like place.

Eolz

That's some great concept art.
Stella seemed like a great protagonist too, wonder if she'll reappear someday with a different name, like FFXVI.

i am really surprised that a 'character' like dino was designed. i mean, obviously he was, but man if someone told me an automated programme created him i wouldn't question it.

ED Cantu

Frankly, i'd be ok with a Versus XIII manga at this point. I wanna see what it was all about!

I remember that when Tabata was announcing all the changes he was making I suggested that SE should have let Tabata make FFXV from scratch and let Nomura make a movie about Versus instead.

At this point I'd be happy if they release all these storyboards and concept artworks in a book or something, oh and maybe all the trailers and videos in high quality too (I really want them).

nah, they are making a XV manga instead:
Sweet
I remember that when Tabata was announcing all the changes he was making I suggested that SE should have let Tabata make FFXV from scratch and let Nomura make a movie about Versus instead.

At this point I'd be happy if they release all these storyboards and concept artworks in a book or something, oh and maybe all the trailers and videos in high quality too (I really want them).
And get more countless comparisons about how much better Versus is??? I'm sorry but at this point I'd be okay with it being hidden.

Rarius

Wow, even early on, they had a vastly better design for Luna.

Holy shit Luna's design is so forgettable and generic

Yohane

Love those artwork.

Why does Square have to always go with soulless late 90's porcelain dolls 3d models for human character :(

ED Cantu

And get more countless comparisons about how much better Versus is??? I'm sorry but at this point I'd be okay with it being hidden.

Well, then they shouldn't have show this, just look at this thread lol.
The comparisons will never end, or at least not for quite some time because of all the trailers they showed from 2006 to 2013.

My point is that all this artwork is really cool and I would like to have it in good quality, that's all.

Top Bottom