• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 JP thread (omg)

Bebpo

Banned
It's good. The writing and plot probably isn't as good as Persona 2, but it's still entertaining and it keeps the players interested in where the plot is going. Side-characters are pretty under-developed (including villians), which is a bit disappointing, but the main playable cast gets strong development to make up for that.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Kinda reminds me of Valkyrie Profile, with the time intervals and dungeons as character training, etc.

Avalon

Reilly said:
I ment for the dungeons like in the other ones. Like after you beat it or something.

The first Persona game had first person dungeon crawling. Persona 2 had full 3rd person dungeon crawling.

I think Nocturne was the one that offered a first person mode after you beat it.

Shouta

So, Bebpo loaned me his copy of the game and I've been playing it for the last week or two. Very awesome game and I'm definitely liking and enjoying it more than Nocturne and DDS1+2. I'm already in October (farther than duckroll apparently!) so another 6 months on the calendar to finish.

The game is tough but it's a mangeable tough. When you **** up, you still get ****ed up but it isn't nearly as harsh as in Nocturne. Then again, I played Nocturne on the Hard setting and not normal and the level of stupid was cranked up for it. :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
are you gonna do a post or thread like you did with Silmeria after you finish the game? I enjoy reading those.

now I get why you changed your avatar.

Shouta

Yeah, I'll do one. The offical threads aren't the place for the indepth stuff I usually post about.

duckroll

Nah I'm in mid-November now. I'm surprised though, have you not been eating or sleeping? This game is bad for your health now! :lol

Shouta

duckroll said:
Nah I'm in mid-November now. I'm surprised though, have you not been eating or sleeping? This game is bad for your health now! :lol

I can't tell if you mean me or my character in the game. :lol

Seeing as this thread was bumped back up, i never heard the reason why Kazuma Kaneko didn't do the artwork this time around for P3. Anyone know the reason why?

Error

sub_zer0 said:
Seeing as this thread was bumped back up, i never heard the reason why Kazuma Kaneko didn't do the artwork this time around for P3. Any know the reason why?
he is probably working on something else.

Shouta

Not sure why but I'm loving the artist they have for P3. It was the only thing I liked about Stella Deus (was the only good thing about Stella Deus actually).

duckroll

Shouta said:
I can't tell if you mean me or my character in the game. :lol

:lol :lol

Man, I just spent over an hour making Alice. It was supposed to be a 5 minute "let's get the right demons from my cache and make this bitch" exercise, but out of the 4 requirements I was short of one. It just so happened that the particular demon I was missing is one that's totally off my tree chart as far as what I can make goes, and involved me clearing a large backlog of "make this Persona" quests that I've been neglecting. I also had to take some Personas for a quick leveling spin because certain communities weren't up the requirement for either a skill or the level for the quest.

It was nuts, but in the end I DID IT! Man, Alice is a total deathbringer! It's sad that half the reason why I made her was being she's part of the production line I need to make Thanatos though! :lol

Shouta

Hah, I just made my Evil Jack Frost and a really beefy Decarabia and Dominion for myself. Evil Jack Frost is so awesome looking. :D

duckroll

Shouta said:
Hah, I just made my Evil Jack Frost and a really beefy Decarabia and Dominion for myself. Evil Jack Frost is so awesome looking. :D

Dominion really helped me out when I was climbing the later parts of Area 4. Hama-on is totally awesome. But I'm starting to neglect him now because sometime before the end of October, I fiddled for some time to make random new Persona around my level and created a Sult (Magician community max unlock) which totally rapes everything now. Massive fire damage. :D

Shouta

I've been lugging around a Persona of each element for most of the game so it's kind of nice to finally get one that's hard to kill. Decarabia looks like it'll be vicious though, high magic stats with Maha Tarukaja and Megido. I smell destruction.

Avalon

Man, I've been trying to keep my anticipationd in check because the game is far from a US Release... It's so hard though. >_<

duckroll

Decarabia is the evil starfish right? Maybe I should invest more attention into it. I had it some time back but it was a base version from a shuffle and I wasn't all that impressed. I should probably actually make one, since the base versions always sucks. :lol

Shouta

duckroll said:
Decarabia is the evil starfish right? Maybe I should invest more attention into it. I had it some time back but it was a base version from a shuffle and I wasn't all that impressed. I should probably actually make one, since the base versions always sucks. :lol

Yeah, it's that evil looking starfish with the eye in the middle. I have Maha Tarunda, Megido, Gale Booster, Mahanma, Maha Tarukaja, Maha Garu, and High (True) Ice Evasion on it. Has 35 Magic but I'm gonna boost it with a few items to make it as deadly as possible. Gotta abuse the Megido.

duckroll

Shouta said:
Yeah, it's that evil looking starfish with the eye in the middle. I have Maha Tarunda, Megido, Gale Booster, Mahanma, Maha Tarukaja, Maha Garu, and High (True) Ice Evasion on it. Has 35 Magic but I'm gonna boost it with a few items to make it as deadly as possible. Gotta abuse the Megido.

Wait what? 35 Magic? No wonder I ditched it. My Sult is dishing out Ragnarok and Maharagi-dine with over 70 Magic and Blaze Booster. Next level he gets Blaze High-booster. It's pretty sick. :D

Shouta

duckroll said:
Wait what? 35 Magic? No wonder I ditched it. My Sult is dishing out Ragnarok and Maharagi-dine with over 70 Magic and Blaze Booster. Next level he gets Blaze High-booster. It's pretty sick. :D

Hey, it's high for me. I haven't maxed out any communities yet so I don't have those crazy persona. I'm also only level 46 now.

Avalon

Shouta said:
Very awesome game and I'm definitely liking and enjoying it more than Nocturne and DDS1+2.

May I ask, why exactly are you enjoying it more then Nocturne and DDS?

I'm having similar feelings just by looking at it. I'm a sucker for games with heavy role-playing elements, so that might be it.

Shouta

There's a number of reasons to it but I won't get into it here because it's a long post and I want to get into more detail about it. This is a general thread so I'll be a bit more thorough so folks have full details and stuff and some spoilers when I put my thread up.

Shouta

Ok, I'm at the end of December and 5 days away from the New year in the game. Gotta finish up two quests in Tartaros in those days.

I managed to somehow piss off 3 Communities and they ALL went into reverse status including the one I had already in Reverse. I have to friggin' damage control my character's life. So sad yet so hilarious. :lol

Avalon

Shouta said:
Ok, I'm at the end of December and 5 days away from the New year in the game. Gotta finish up two quests in Tartaros in those days.

I managed to somehow piss off 3 Communities and they ALL went into reverse status including the one I had already in Reverse. I have to friggin' damage control my character's life. So sad yet so hilarious. :lol

Can you still summon Persona of their respective Arcana if the commu goes in reverse (been hearing a lot of different things)?

Shouta

Seems like I can. I haven't really figured out what the reverse status does. I'll have to check with some specific Persona this afternoon.

Avalon

Shouta said:
Seems like I can. I haven't really figured out what the reverse status does. I'll have to check with some specific Persona this afternoon.

Well, you obviously can't advance in that particular commu until you get it fixed, and I'm pretty sure you don't get the EXP bonus for creating Persona of that Arcana...

That seems a bit too light though, I sure hope there are more consequences.

Shouta

If you **** up your apology when in Reverse Status, you can actually go into Broken Status. Not sure what it does since I got the right answer the first time but I wanted to see what the other choice lead me to. It's also only possible for the 5 girls you're able to date as far as I know.

Bebpo

Banned
Shouta said:
If you **** up your apology when in Reverse Status, you can actually go into Broken Status. Not sure what it does since I got the right answer the first time but I wanted to see what the other choice lead me to. It's also only possible for the 5 girls you're able to date as far as I know.

I think broken just means you can never fix it and thus never advance the community any further. That's all it does.

Avalon

Bebpo said:
I think broken just means you can never fix it and thus never advance the community any further. That's all it does.

Damn... Does that effect the summoning of Persona?

Shouta

Bebpo said:

You can fix it. I just found out by looking at one of the JP game guides I got linked to. It's the REAL apologizing though. :lol

Error

I think Persona 2 has not aged well, the game is playable but the battle system is total meh after you have gotten used to the awesomeness of the press turn system.

the music, story, setting and characters however are awesome. so if you can look past the battle system the game is definitely great at least p2

and I dont think P3 is a direct sequel to P2 it may have some connections but that's it. you dont have to play P2 in order to enjoy P3 imo.

Avalon

I think Persona 2 has not aged well, the game is playable but the battle system is total meh after you have gotten used to the awesomeness of the press turn system.

To be fair, most jRPG battle systems feel like pretty inferior next to the Press-turn system. ;)

Error

press turn system is so ****ing good, something so obvious. kind of surprising it hasnt been done before.

Shouta

I actually am not a fan of Press Turn myself. It's annoying and doesn't add all that much to the game. It is nice for getting two turns for one character but really, other than that, I don't see the major benefits. P3's battle system takes the best part of the Press-Turn, getting extra turns for hitting weaknesses and criticals, and uses a standard turn based system.

P2 does hold up pretty well if you ask me but it does have issues with the balancing of skills and etc.

Error

isnt P3 "One More!!" system practically the same as Press Turn System? except you dont get penalized for using a spell or attack the enemy can void/null, drain or repel.

oh and I see the benefits... you cant spam attacks/spells or the game will punish you! bwa ha ha ha

:lol

Top Bottom