• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 JP thread (omg)

Bebpo

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Sweet, downloading now. And seriously, has anyone beaten the game yet? :lol

I'll probably be done in a day or two. Around 70 hours and I think it'll be possible to finish in 80.

CloudV

In regards to Reverse, you have to make it up with the character (仲直り) and if a community is in reverse then where they are on what day completely changes, so you're going to have to search for them. Some you have to spend a couple of days talking to them to make up and fix your community status.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I thought he was going to bash the game to hell and back going by his description two weeks ago, seems like in the end he enjoyed it even tho he admitted the game wasn't for everyone and that included him.

shit 2007 :(

Avalon

Error2k4 said:
I thought he was going to bash the game to hell and back going by his description two weeks ago, seems like in the end he enjoyed it even tho he admitted the game wasn't for everyone and that included him.

shit 2007 :(

I really enjoyed the fact that it was really objective.

Yeah... 2007... Quiet a bit of stuff coming out in the the months ahead though.

duckroll

Man........ I just tried getting fresh with Yukari and taking advantage of the situation to be a MAN for her. Didn't work out too well! Now Lovers is on reverse! It's even funnier because I'm technically dating Chihiro officially. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll said:
Man........ I just tried getting fresh with Yukari and taking advantage of the situation to be a MAN for her. Didn't work out too well! Now Lovers is on reverse! It's even funnier because I'm technically dating Chihiro officially. :lol

Ummm...that's why the reset button exists!

I tried that with Chihiro and errr...did not end well.

I swear if all you get at lvl.10 is a kiss I'm going to go "arghh" to the Japanese social stigmas. You don't put that much effort into a relationship to get a single kiss. I better see bed sheets and maybe a "3 years later" scene with a crazy looking mix baby or I want my money back!

Error

Himuro said:
Who was this guy? And how'd he describe it?

Speaking of atypical RPGs, I really wanted to upload a MP3 of Persona 3 up, but I can't download the soundtrack at the moment and I'm too lazy to record the boss battle theme I wanted to put up. (EDIT for filthy lies, you can grab it here.) Most of it is Japanese pop/hip hop/etc. which I am not a fan of (closest comparison I can make is to Jet Set Radio). but a handful of tracks are decent. Some guys over at the NeoGAF forums are describing of the game as a combination of Tokimeki Memorial, Tower of Druaga and Persona 2, and have somehow convinced themselves that this formula isn't a nightmare of pain and suffering. I have to salute that kind of sadomasochism, really. In spite of all of these forces working against it, it's actually an pretty okay game, although I will admit that it's not "for" me. As usual, a review will be at Siliconera in due time. (And here's that VP2 review.)

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, ummm the music is hmmmm. Honestly I'll probably go off on that after I finish the game tonight but in short I like the music enough to buy the ost and play it in my car, yet at the same time P3 is probably the first rpg in YEARS that I enjoy more on MUTE because it's so grating at times.

Make what you will of that for now :p

Bebpo

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
Could you rehost please.

Leaving now so I can't re-up it, but if anyone who grabbed it before wants to upload it back on yousendit.com, it'd be appriciated. If not I'll upload it again tonight.

Avalon

duckroll said:

Maybe that had something to do with it.

antipode

Bebpo said:
I swear if all you get at lvl.10 is a kiss I'm going to go "arghh" to the Japanese social stigmas. You don't put that much effort into a relationship to get a single kiss. I better see bed sheets and maybe a "3 years later" scene with a crazy looking mix baby or I want my money back!

:lol

duckroll

I'm a role-player, I don't reset because I made a bad choice. Honestly, I can't stand people that cheat like that to try out different routes in dialogue branches just to find the "best" one. It's stupid, I just play the game and select options like I would in real life, and enjoy the results. It's not like I can LOSE the game for making a bad choice. :p

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
duckroll said:
I'm a role-player, I don't reset because I made a bad choice. Honestly, I can't stand people that cheat like that to try out different routes in dialogue branches just to find the "best" one. It's stupid, I just play the game and select options like I would in real life, and enjoy the results. It's not like I can LOSE the game for making a bad choice. :p
Er, not really. There are plenty of games. Like DQ1! And Suikoden IV's alternate beach thing.

MoxManiac

Does thou love me?
>No
But thou must!
Does thou love me?
>No
But thou must!
Does thou love me?
>No
But thou must!
Does thou love me?
>No
But thou must!
Does thou love me?
>No
But thou must!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
duckroll said:
Huh? I'm talking about Persona 3. :p
Oh, you seemed to be talking in general. :p

Mox, haha, I mean the whole
Dragon Lord "Join me!"
> Yes!
Screen goes red tinted, game over music plays and the Dragon Lord mocks you like he mocks you all from my avatar.

CloudV

The Persona 3 Perfect Guide comes out Friday, and I'll be picking it up, in hopes of nice sections of art work. I'm going incredibly slow (albiet, I spent a week in Akita last week and leaving for Osaka on friday) and am only at July still in the game.

Anyways, I remember reading in this thread I think about an art book or something done by the series designer? Does anyone have anymore info on that, name or USBN number? I was in Akiba earlier today and was looking but really didn't have any idea of what it would be under.

Bebpo

Banned
Finished it last night at around 85 hours with everything completed besides the usual R&D1 "DO NOT EVEN TRY TO BEAT ME LOL" hidden ultra boss like Hitoshura in DDS. I'd imagine that if someone ran through it efficiently and skipped the final quests they could probably get through the game in about 70 hours. Though on the other hand people who immerse themselves in the roleplaying aspect of the game like TheTrin will probably hit 100 hours.

Game was pretty good and satisfying. Like other R&D1 games there are a lot of nice little touches in the gameplay/writing. Like how if you stand still for a sec the character will put his hands in his pockets. Then if you run in a direction, instead of the usual running animation, he'll have a special animation where he runs with his hands in his pockets. Also sub-themes/motifs are nicely placed throughout so by the end you're like "ahhh...cool". The characters were also one of the best groups ever since you spend so much time with them and they get a good amount of development.

The anime fmvs were awesome and a very good decision to include in the game. Otherwise it would've ended up like Baten Kaitos and little 16-bit style SD characters aren't really that great for conveying important story events. P3 has a good amount of fmvs and the studio that did them did a great job and they all look cool and are well directed.

Music is great but the caveat is that because the game is so repetitve, the music is so repetitive as well. A song might be great the first time, but after you've heard the first 30 secs of song X that plays when you move between room A -> B for the 300th time you get kinda sick of it. Tartaros music is like that too where you'll spend 4 hours dungeon crawling to a dungeon song that is a 30 sec track looped for the entire time. Definitely gets on your nerves after a while. But the good side to that is that when you 'do' hear new music it makes it that much more awesome because you've been listening to the same 4 songs for the last 20 hours until you want to shoot yourself in the head like the main cast and then suddenly there's something new and fresh and it's very awesome.

The gameplay is kinda like that too. You'll be doing the same things over and over and over for so many hours that when something different 'does' happen, it's totally awesome because it's fresh and new. That being said the day to day gameplay is still pretty interesting despite being extremely repetitive. Hanging out with communities is fun and the battles are AWESOME (boss battles are AWESOME+++). AI partners actually made the game more interesting. Crawling is fun in a Diablo-ish way and making Personas has to be the most addicting that demon creation has ever been in a SMT game or spinoff. I'd sit for 30-40 mins just making Personas sometimes and it definitely drives you to do the endgame stuff and make all the final ones.

Besides the long repetitive nature of the game, my biggest compaint is that the communities were all very fluffy. I kinda expected these active stories to have big bang satisfying endings to them, but community stories kinda go out in a unsatisfying whisper. I guess that's so you don't feel bad when you get to the very end and realize you won't be able to finish 1/2 of them and see their endings on first playthrough.

I still prefer SMT and DDS over P3 and DS Raidou, but all four games from R&D1 this gen have been very interesting titles that all felt unique and were worth playing through. Definitely looking forward to their next-gen work, though I guess they'll put out 1 more PS2 game next year before moving on.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh and the difficulty level is pretty mainstream like DSRaidou and DDS was. After SMT3 it seems they took a step back and lowered their difficulty so appease a wider audience.

P3 doesn't even have a hard mode! But it does have an easy mode where according to the manual you can continue when you die and you start with 10 items that revive the main character when he dies in battle.

Game was about the same difficulty as VP2 and XSep3.

Wow, 85h phew...nice impressions as always Bebpo.

Btw, I just finished DQ8 (at 65h) well it seems there is some stuff left to do...but I had to say something about the game...

DAMN YOU SAVING SYSTEM. Seriously, between the annoyingly high duration of the saving process plus no reset it was hell!

So...is the P3 save system normal? does it have quick reset? I'm going to look after these things so much...really had a bad time in DQ8 with them. The game was awesome though, the best voice acting I've heard in a localized RPG too...

Teasel

Bebpo said:
Oh and the difficulty level is pretty mainstream like DSRaidou and DDS was. After SMT3 it seems they took a step back and lowered their difficulty so appease a wider audience.

P3 doesn't even have a hard mode! But it does have an easy mode where according to the manual you can continue when you die and you start with 10 items that revive the main character when he dies in battle.

Game was about the same difficulty as VP2 and XSep3.
does the game have an uber extra dungeon too or only an uber boss?

Bebpo

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Wow, 85h phew...nice impressions as always Bebpo.

Btw, I just finished DQ8 (at 65h) well it seems there is some stuff left to do...but I had to say something about the game...

DAMN YOU SAVING SYSTEM. Seriously, between the annoyingly high duration of the saving process plus no reset it was hell!

So...is the P3 save system normal? does it have quick reset? I'm going to look after these things so much...really had a bad time in DQ8 with them. The game was awesome though, the best voice acting I've heard in a localized RPG too...

The saving system is pretty generous. You can save right before every boss in the game and the only times you can't save is if there's a big story section right before the said boss. The worst part is that if you do actually die on these bosses you have to sit through tons of text-boxes all over again since there is no way to skip through scenes quickly >_< Only happened to me twice, but it was still fairly annoying when it did.

Also the game fully replenishes your HP/SP whenever you want since you can jump back to floor 1 about every 10 floors and before bosses. It also replenishes your HP/SP before story bosses.

Oh and there's no soft-reset in P3 either. But you can jump to title screen from your status menu.

Teasel said:
does the game have an uber extra dungeon too or only an uber boss?

There is an uber dungeon but it's fairly short and like the normal dungeons you can actually avoid all the battles and just run to the uber boss in about 5-10 mins. The actual battles are fairly tough at first, but when you figure out the trick to the enemies it becomes just as easy as the normal dungeon enemy battles. The exp gains are crazy though. You gain like 1 level per battle :p

Error2k4 said:
what would you give the game bebpo?

...good game!

SailorDaravon said:
Persona 3: Great Game or Greatest Game?

Probably the former. Definitely more of a cool niche rpg experience that's worth playing than an epic GOTY type run.

WalkMan

Banned
So is this receiving the Niche RPG of the year award from Bebpo?

Also how long were your sessions with the game? With a game like this I'm imagining 4-5 hours each.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
You know, listening to the Persona 3 OST for the 100th time I realized that Track 2-06/10/17 sounds a lot like the music from the Large Map in Nocturne.

Thanks for the impressions ... I wish they'd have thrown in a hard mode. :\ Alas.

One thing I'm super-curious about: As I understand it, you have a limited amount of time each day for dungeon-crawling. What happens if you reach the end of the year without having completed all the events necessary to reach the final battle/end of the game? Does the game just end? Or is the game system set up so that it's impossible to reach the end of the year without being able to get to the endgame?

Mandoric

Banned
Greenpanda said:
Thanks for the impressions ... I wish they'd have thrown in a hard mode. :\ Alas.

One thing I'm super-curious about: As I understand it, you have a limited amount of time each day for dungeon-crawling. What happens if you reach the end of the year without having completed all the events necessary to reach the final battle/end of the game? Does the game just end? Or is the game system set up so that it's impossible to reach the end of the year without being able to get to the endgame?

Time each day is semi-limited---after a certain amount of time, you receive heavy stat penalties, but can keep going if you need to.

Plot battles occur in a pattern based on game days passed, with the premise that dungeon crawls are "training" for them; it's possible to not crawl for an entire interval and still face the boss, and it's possible to screw yourself by saving after the last chance to dungeon but being too low-level for the boss.

Bebpo

Banned
Greenpanda said:

I dunno how this works, but technically you can screw yourself and not be able to finish the game. Then again you have soooooooooooo much time at endgame to boost yourself way beyond the level of the final boss to the point where you're near invincible...so yeah I doubt anyone will be unable to finish.

The hard part is just finishing communities and go against what I had said a few pages back, it's actually better to just do one at a time instead of evenly advancing communities. Doing it evenly makes the gameplay easier and can get your through some tricky spots, but the problem is that at the end you have 10 communities left at lvl.5 or 6 when you could've had 4 or 5 of them maxed and seen their resolutions/gotten their personas.

Error

hmm how bout the story? duckroll said it was good but that was like... in the first few pages.

now that you have finished it bebpo. how's the story of p3? just good/bad no need to go into details.

Top Bottom