• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 JP thread (omg)

Dambrosi

Banned
Soulstar said:
Do it!!!

Didn't you also say you had another song? Noone else seems to want it but I do.
Well, the OST is now "available", if you know what I mean, so it must have been just released recently. Actually, according to this CDJapan link, it was released today, so if you really want the game's music, click the link and buy.

Soulstar

Dambrosi said:
Well, the OST is now "available", if you know what I mean, so it must have been just released recently. Actually, according to this CDJapan link, it was released today, so if you really want the game's music, click the link and buy.

Good to know. I'll buy it now.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
here are the wallpapers

Error

the ost is SHIT HOT

best OST of the gen easily. wow just wow track 2 of disc 1=HOLY SHIT

Error

well, it's been awhile since I played p2 I totally didn't recognize it.

I'm still in disc 1 tho heh.

duckroll

Error2k4 said:
well, it's been awhile since I played p2 I totally didn't recognize it.

I'm still in disc 1 tho heh.

Not sure if it's the same in the previous game (it's been almost 10 years lol) but I'm just saying, it's an important part of the game. Also, it's where you make Personas, so it's pretty much the most important SMT part of the game. The BGM better ****ing rock. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Unlike ducky, I`m evenly upping each of my commus at the moment. I`m at four on almost all of them but as I open more commus, I want to up them as well.

It`s becoming increasingly more difficult to satisfy everyone, so I tend to tell the swim club captain to go **** himself on weekends, so I can play Devil Busters Online (it`s like real life!)

Duckroll and I were talking last night about the nature of battles in this game, and I tend to agree with him: when you die in Persona 3, you don`t just die...YOU GET ALL KINDS OF ASSRAPED.

The fact is, every fight in P3 is do or die. You go into each fight totally expecting to assrape your enemy in the first turn, and doing everything perfectly. As duckroll said, enemy advantage and player advantage are not just turns. They can mean the death of a party member, or your entire party.

If you get hit by a dungeon enemy before you can hit them to initiate the encounter, you go into enemy advantage. If you have a character that has a weakness to one of the enemy`s alignments, you can bet your bottom dollar that he`s going to exploit it, and **** you, and your party members over with 1 MORE! chains.

When you die, it`s because EVERYTHING went sour, and it went sour fast. Enemy advantage, wrong persona, wrong party members, not enough items, EVERYTHING. It will go wrong one after another. And it always goes sour after an hour of crawling.

Greed enters the game as a very important element when crawling. The game gives the player a handful of chances to `take their chips and run,` so to speak. A few times, I`ve just leveled up, and gotten some sweet personae, but before the portal, there would be one lone enemy I say `you know...I could probably take him, and hit the next floor.` Well guess what: you can`t take him. In fact, he takes you, like a battleship takes a fishing boat. Enemies are MERCILESS, just like your party members. If they know your weakness, you can bet they`re going to 1 MORE! chain you to hell and back.

In this regard, Persona is less like a traditional RPG, and more like a Diabloesque crawler. One wrong move, and it`s all for nought.

I`ve been pretty lucky lately, but the conversation with duckroll last night reminded me to post this. This may sound like a rant, but everything about what I`ve just typed is a positive. I love the tension in P3. I also love knowing an enemy`s element, and being a total asshole and chaining 1 MORE`s all over his face.

I love this game.

Error

ok I listened to whole OST now.

Meguro am God total don't know where the **** he came from or where Atlus got him but this ost has rap, pop songs, jazz, heavy metal stuff, opera so many different styles the dude's range is truly something incredible.

I found Disc 1 to be better than Disc 2, dis2 includes the song that where in the limited edition CD.

I give it a 10/10 I loved what I heard makes it even harder to wait for the game :(

oh best ost of the gen for me.

my top 3 OST this gen so far:
1) Persona 3
2) Shadow of The Colossus
3) Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

It sounds like it would be impossible (or at least difficult) to max out all of the comms on a single playthrough? I like that ... lately, it's gotten too easy in a lot of RPGs to max out everything; it's more fun when you really have to decide what to specialize in. Plus, that way people can have different playstyles. I played DQ VIII recently and I liked the fact that there wasn't any easy to pick up every skill, so it really mattered how you decided to spend your skill points.

Thanks for the wallpapers. Maybe there will be a bonus disc in the US with them, but why take the chance.

This game really does sound amazing. I know some of my friends would read these comments and be like "no thanks!" but I'm reading this and getting incredibly hyped up. It really sounds like my type of game, although I expected no less.

duckroll

Greenpanda said:
It sounds like it would be impossible (or at least difficult) to max out all of the comms on a single playthrough?

Well let's see. There should be about 21 different communities based on the major arcana of the tarot deck. I believe the max level of each community is 10. This implies that ideally if it takes 1 day (1 event) to raise the level of a community, you would need 210 day. The game takes place over 365 days. Unfortunately the way the game is set up, that's not the case as you do not always rank up a community in one event except early on in the beginning. Also you don't get all the communities at the start of the game, instead you get more as the time table progresses. So yeah, this basically means that unless you're playing with some sort of super preplanned schedule and know exactly what's going ot happen in the entire game, I doubt it's possible to get everything on the first go. Not that it matters, since I hear there's a New Game+. :D

Zalasta

An RPG that's challenging? Where you can't just reset until you get the desirable results? I like that, I like that a lot :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just hit Floor 47 of Tartaros, and met a few notable faces in the game. I'm really looking forward to the next story event in the story, as things really look like they're starting to heat up. I can't wait. :D

thetrin

Himuro said:
I hate you man. But I still love you all the same!

How exactly does the loli system work? How old are these little people?

The loli girl is just one of the communities you have access to. She's a girl who hangs by the playground at the local shrine. You talk to her, and she becomes friends with you. Basically, you chat with her, take her out for food, watch her play on the playsets, etc etc.

Himuro said:
What are all the commu's

I listed the ones I had found in an earlier part of the thread. Here's the ones I have so far:

Classmate
Student Gov't
Swim/Kendo/track team
Swim Club Manager
Old man that owns the bookstore
Creepy kid that I won't reveal much about
Loli girl at the shrine
SEES

thetrin

Himuro said:
Okay I'm definitely staying away from that.

So is it possible to warm up to a person so much you can convince them to have some coffee with you in your room?

*shrug* Probably. I'm upping all of mine evenly, so I'm still fairly early in quite a few of them.

Tamanon

Banned
I can't wait for it to come out here. I might start playing through Persona 1/2 and the SMT games getting ready for it:)

And it takes a lot to get me to play through P1 again, after playing 2 especially. Love the game....but it's a grinder for sure!

thetrin

Himuro said:
This game sounds hilarious.

if you haven't played Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, I really recommend you check it out. It's a great example of where Persona 3 is coming from. Persona 3, of course, is so much more than P2 ever was.

antipode

TheTrin said:
It`s becoming increasingly more difficult to satisfy everyone, so I tend to tell the swim club captain to go **** himself on weekends, so I can play Devil Busters Online (it`s like real life!)

:lol

duckroll

TheTrin said:
When you die, it`s because EVERYTHING went sour, and it went sour fast. Enemy advantage, wrong persona, wrong party members, not enough items, EVERYTHING. It will go wrong one after another. And it always goes sour after an hour of crawling.

Hahahahahaha! This cannot be stated enough! I've been crawling for like an hour. Making trips back and forth, I'm not stupid so I've been saving mind you, so eventually on like the 5th trip back, I went from floor 36 to 43 or so (I have a checkpoing at 47, but I'm trying to finish a quest that requires certain drops from floor 41-46) and out from no where I missed an enemy on the radar in the corridor and got hit with an enemy advantage. It's 3 nobodies, easy enemies, hah! Except the first guy gets a CRITCAL on my main character with his physical attack BAM 150 damage! My main character is down! That enemy gets an extra turn! He attacks someone else, YES!!! The next enemy attacks someone else too, YAY!!! The last enemy..... casts Geo on my main character, NOOOOOO! BAM! GAME OVER! :lol :lol :lol

Only lost about 10 minutes or so, and didn't get anything interesting on the most recent run, so it's all good. But man.... :lol

Error

:lol

I didn't read this at first but that sounds hilarious.

Tokubetsu

I am so gonna do the LOLI commu. HAR HAR HAR HAR mwhahahahah *cough*.

duckroll said:
Hahahahahaha! This cannot be stated enough! I've been crawling for like an hour. Making trips back and forth, I'm not stupid so I've been saving mind you, so eventually on like the 5th trip back, I went from floor 36 to 43 or so (I have a checkpoing at 47, but I'm trying to finish a quest that requires certain drops from floor 41-46) and out from no where I missed an enemy on the radar in the corridor and got hit with an enemy advantage. It's 3 nobodies, easy enemies, hah! Except the first guy gets a CRITCAL on my main character with his physical attack BAM 150 damage! My main character is down! That enemy gets an extra turn! He attacks someone else, YES!!! The next enemy attacks someone else too, YAY!!! The last enemy..... casts Geo on my main character, NOOOOOO! BAM! GAME OVER! :lol :lol :lol

Only lost about 10 minutes or so, and didn't get anything interesting on the most recent run, so it's all good. But man.... :lol

I think that can be said with any SMT ive played. Im trying to get through Nocturne now and it sucks when shit goes bad. You get jumped by like 6 enemies, try to retreat and fail, they get a crit, extra turn. By the time all 6 enemies are done raping you, your done for. Still need to find a copy of DDS 1 and 2 ='(

duckroll

I've been pretty lucky in the Tartaros lately, until I hit floor 59 and tried to take on the boss there. Massive rape! I think I need to find a Persona with wind immunity! :lol

My community relationships with certain girls have advanced to slightly more interesting stages now. I don't feel too good about two-timing people, so I think I'm going to try not to give Yuuko the wrong idea the next time we hang out. I spent the most recent Sunday watching a movie with Chihiro and I even gave her a present. :D

thetrin

duckroll said:
I've been pretty lucky in the Tartaros lately, until I hit floor 59 and tried to take on the boss there. Massive rape! I think I need to find a Persona with wind immunity! :lol

My community relationships with certain girls have advanced to slightly more interesting stages now. I don't feel too good about two-timing people, so I think I'm going to try not to give Yuuko the wrong idea the next time we hang out. I spent the most recent Sunday watching a movie with Chihiro and I even gave her a present. :D

I just totally raped that Floor 59 boss, and finished Man made isle 3 quest. For the boss, I used Sati (indian god), who has physical attack reflect. The boss tried lance me, and took the entire attack damage in his face. Then he proceeded to use wind on Yukari (the only character in my party strong to wind. :p)

Anyway, that boss was a lot easier when physical attacks actually reflected back on him.

duckroll

Error2k4 said:
man I really hope this game has different endings.

I'm pretty sure it does, but that doesn't matter, because there so much optional stuff that probably two people will have the exact same play through.

Error

it better have different endings, games begs to be replayed at least once since there are many ways to play it and many commu to specialize in.

having different endings=good for replays.

thetrin

This game has me in a vice grip. :(

When I'm at work, I'm in a glazed over, zombie like state. It's only when I get home and start persona 3 that I actually wake up, and start concentrating. SO SAD.

Bebpo

Banned
I misread a kanji in a quest and thought it was asking me to fight and defeat a shinigami in order to get an item.

Having not fought shinigami I just assumed it wouldn't be a big deal since the quest was only two stars.

Spent like 15-20mins running around a floor fighting enemies until I got a cursed card. I had my team seperated in order to try to speed up the process.

...next thing I know my other two characters go "OH LOOK AN ENEMY"...."DEAD".

So I go and fight the Shinigami by myself.

Round 1:
Me: Attack!.....1 point of damage
Shinigami: Attack!....miss

Round 2:
Me: Different Attack!....1 point of damage
Shinigami: Attack!....783 points of damage
Me: DEAD

Only afterwards when I asked duckroll "WTF HOW DO I KILL THIS SHINIGAMI THAT DOES 783 DAMAGE!?!!?" did I realize I read the kanji wrong and was supposed to kill a shinibug :(

Reilly

Error2k4 said:
it better have different endings, games begs to be replayed at least once since there are many ways to play it and many commu to specialize in.

having different endings=good for replays.

Which is why DDS isn't a great game

duckroll

Man today's runs have been great. I cleared all the quests due on the 8th of July, got some great weapons from completing the Rare Monster quests, leveled up a bunch, made quite a few new Persona.... then used them to make more new ones, and then finished the next big event. That was quite a ride, and now the plot gets more interesting. :D

Edit: Oh and I maxed out my Magician community, so now I can make Sult whenever I'm high level enough and have the right Personas, awesome! My relationship with Chihiro is also getting more exciting! Go-go-dating-sim! :D

Error

Reilly said:
Which is why DDS isn't a great game
ehh, having only one ending is not bad.

but with P3 since is practically impossible (going by the impressions of duckroll and trin) to do everything in one playthrough, having different endings help for replays.

People who act like DDS1+2 are bad games because they aren't SMT3 part deux piss me off.
yet they are better than 90% of the rpgs released this gen so far. heh.

DDS 1+2 are awesome.

duckroll

Error2k4 said:
but with P3 since is practically impossible (going by the impressions of duckroll and trin) to do everything in one playthrough, having different endings help for replays.

I don't think it's so much that it's impossible to do everything in one play-through, but rather that with the options it's very likely different players will pick totally different things to do or ways to do them. Even the very selection of Persona, much like in SMT3, will likely differ from player to player. That experience along negates any sense of need for multiple endings since you can easily replay the game differently each time, but having said that, as I said I believe the game does indeed have more than one ending. It just feels like that kind of game.

Error

I'm not saying it's a requirement to have different endings for replays, what I'm trying to say is that by having different endings kind of gives the player more motivation to try and play the game again.

and I think the new game+ option confirms multiple endings.

WalkMan

Banned
MoxManiac said:
DDS1+2 rocks :D

EDIT: and DDS1+2 has replay value...not because of multiple endings, but because it is asspoundingly AWESOME
I concur, great game because its not hard like Nocturne!

duckroll

About 26 hours clocked, loving every minute of it. Can't talk about events anymore because I'm deep enough into the story for there to be spoilers now. But I will say....

AEGIS IS SO CUTE~~~~~

:lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
the title of this game being "Persona 3", regardless of what is inside the disc, automatically makes it better than Xenosaga III fyi

So, duckroll... based on what you've played, should I pre-order this? y/n (circle one)

Manaka

Damn, I'm so hyped for Persona 3, I can't even fully enjoy VP:S right now ...
GAF turned me into a Megami Tensei fan
thank you <3

duckroll

Amir0x said:
the title of this game being "Persona 3", regardless of what is inside the disc, automatically makes it better than Xenosaga III fyi

So, duckroll... based on what you've played, should I pre-order this? y/n (circle one)

That depends... does the the combination of this:

Tokimemo3_coverart.jpg

and this:

Tower_of_Druaga,_The_box.jpg

with the art style of:

normal_16442.jpg

sound like it will appeal to you? :D

Edit: Oh and Amir0x, why did you have to bring that dirty word into this thread again? :(

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
That depends... does the the combination of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/Tokimemo3_coverart.jpg

and this:

http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repo...ges/famicom/good/Tower_of_Druaga,_The_box.jpg

with the art style of:

http://www.japan-type.com/mini/normal_16442.jpg

sound like it will appeal to you? :D

Edit: Oh and Amir0x, why did you have to bring that dirty word into this thread again? :(

Never played the first game! Should I (if I can't read a lick of Japanese)?

Druaga is +100 though.

duckroll

Amir0x said:
Never played the first game! Should I (if I can't read a lick of Japanese)?

Do you think you'll have fun hanging out in a Japanese high-school without knowing a lick of Japanese? ^^;

Top Bottom