• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 JP thread (omg)

Reilly said:
why do you think they (Atlus USA) keeps putting "SMT" with all their games? Hell, I won't be suprised if they change P3 to "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona" or some bullshit.

The SMT series began as "Digital Devil Story" which was based on a book. From there they branched into Megami Tensei 1 and 2. Megami Tensei means "Goddess Rebirth" (approx--they translate it as Goddess Metempsychosis, but whatever).

On the Super Nintendo they had the Shin Megami Tensei series, which is a fancy way of saying "Super MegaTen" It means "True Goddess Metempsychosis."

They made two of those games. Then, the console shift occurred and Atlus made one series for each platform--Playstation had Persona and Saturn had Devil Summoner. There were two of each (though there were two Persona 2's and DS 2 was called Soul Hackers).

Then, when things moved to PS2, they decided to revive the "core" series, and they made SMT3: Nocturne. This was the first "SMT" game to reach America, though not the first game in the series.

Then Cozy Okada left, and they decided to "reboot" the entire MegaTen franchise by starting over (somewhat). So they made a new Digital Devil Saga to start that out (and if you've beaten the game, you can see where I'm coming from with this). Now they are rebooting both the Devil Summoner (Raidou) and Persona franchises with new entries that don't pick up where the old games left off.

These are all technically part of the "DDS" series--but so were the old games. "Megami Tensei" is just the main franchise that caught on, so these are all considered MegaTen games in Japan, and that became the defacto name for ALL these sub-series of games. And yes, in Japan Persona and DevSum are all considered "MegaTen" games.

Now pay attention, here comes the important part...

"Megami Ibun roku Persona" means roughly "Record of the Unique Goddess Story, Persona" (which is clearly why THAT didn't get a direct translation...) In simpler terms, it'd be a fancy way of saying "Megami Sidestory" or "Megami Gaiden." See, "Goddess" is the keyword that is in all the titles. To a Japanese speaker, "Megami Ibun roku Persona" is yes, A SUBSERIES OF MEGATEN.

http://p211.ezboard.com/fatlususadiscussionboardfrm8.showMessage?topicID=405.topic

duckroll

SolidSnakex said:

Too bad that entire writeup is filled with inaccuracies. :p

First off Shin Megami Tensei is TRUE GODDESS REINCARNATION. Not SUPER, TRUE. Secondly, there's no reboot. Devil Summoner PS2 takes place in the same timeline as Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers, but like those two games you play as a different character. Persona 3 takes place in 2009, about ten years after Persona 2. There's no reboot there either. Cozy leaving Atlus didn't cause any reboot whatsoever, since Kaneko was always the one in-charge of the worldviews anyway. :p

Oh and a final nail in the coffin. Megami Ibunroku Persona is only the name of the first game. The series is NOT Megami Ibunroku, the series name is Persona. Magami Ibunroku was used for the first game and that's it.

Lain

duckroll said:
Too bad that entire writeup is filled with inaccuracies. :p

First off Shin Megami Tensei is TRUE GODDESS REINCARNATION. Not SUPER, TRUE. Secondly, there's no reboot. Devil Summoner PS2 takes place in the same timeline as Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers, but like those two games you play as a different character. Persona 3 takes place in 2009, about ten years after Persona 2. There's no reboot there either. Cozy leaving Atlus didn't cause any reboot whatsoever, since Kaneko was always the one in-charge of the worldviews anyway. :p

Oh and a final nail in the coffin. Megami Ibunroku Persona is only the name of the first game. The series is NOT Megami Ibunroku, the series name is Persona. Magami Ibunroku was used for the first game and that's it.

What is the difference between True Goddess Reincarnation and True Goddess Metempsychosis?
And in regards to Persona, does it mean that Persona is not a subseries to MegaTen, and that the title to the first game wasn't chosen to convey that?

I guess we can't even believe people that work for Atlus nowadays about their products.

Mandoric

Banned
Lain said:
What is the difference between True Goddess Reincarnation and True Goddess Metempsychosis?

Choice of translation.

A more charitable reading of that post will take the offering of "Super" as a translation for "Shin" in the context of many series being reborn on the SuFami and especially SNES with "Super" added to their name, but beyond hdah...

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I liked how in the opening sequence of SMT when the text was being typed in the first kanji "suggested" for shin was "new". :D My guess is that's some sort of playful remark.
I actually tried playing the original MegaTen, but **** if I didn't get my face handed to me on a silver platter within the first minute. ¥200 well spent. :D
Oh yeah, and this thread has gotten me playing the original Persona (US release) and I forgot how terrible the translation was. But hey, at least it's part one of the Revelations series!

Aaron said:
Except the fact they've already announced the game as Persona 3, and made it quite clear they weren't changing a thing. At least it's better than renaming Nocturne 'Lucifer's Call.' Bleh.

Oh, and so far P3 sounds like just about the ideal RPG for me. Can't wait for 2007.

This is an excerpt from an Atlus news blurb that can be found at http://www.atlus.com/cgi-bin/news

RPGamer is Persona-fied
Where could an RPG maniac play Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 before anyone else? Atlus USA's E3 '06 booth, baby! More...

lol After what they named the new Devil Summoner I wouldn't put anything past Atlus USA.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Schopenhauer said:
lol After what they named the new Devil Summoner I wouldn't put anything past Atlus USA.

what is the title for the new devil summoner game? and when is it out btw?

Abel

what is the title for the new devil summoner game? and when is it out btw?

Its only the longest title ever! "Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army" or abbreviated (which is still a mile long) SMTDSRKvtSA hahahaa and it
tentatively comes out Oct 10th
:)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Why do people care if in the US they put the MegaTen games under the Shin Megami Tensei name?

RevenantKioku

That's what I'm getting at. I'm not sure why people are complaining about the naming over here.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I thought they dropped the SMT from Devil Summoner.

it's just Devil Summoner: Kazunoha Raidou vs the Souless Army

I also think it is a good business descision for Atlus to create an SMT brand name. I was just pointing out how it can lead to strange titles.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Abel said:
Its only the longest title ever! "Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army" or abbreviated (which is still a mile long) SMTDSRKvtSA hahahaa and it
tentatively comes out Oct 10th
:)

That`s pretty close to the JP title. If I remember correctly, the JP title amounts to `Kuzunoha Raidou vs. The Super Power Army.` The prefix overload is pretty hilarious, though.

Alright, so a little update on my game so far. I just unlocked the internet commu (which is pretty hilarious, from what little I understood). I also unlocked the commu with the team manager for the swim team.

A few days after that, I opened a new commu, which I`m not sure is automatic, or not. It`s a tarot XII (with a skull on it), and the commu consists of the little boy in stripes that appears by the hero`s bed on random nights during darkness. I`m not sure how to advance this one yet.

I also just beat a boss pair that changes their weak and strong element every 2 turns. It`s amazing how useful analyze becomes (L1), as my party members were attacking blind until I analyzed. At that point, they began beating the shit out of the bosses with impunity, using weaknesses with extreme prejudice. I also recently got a few new mixraids:

- Justice!
This one involves Arch Angel and Angel, and casts an attack that causes damage to enemies equal to 50% of their total HP, no matter how much HP they have (a bit like Gravity in FF).

- Jack Brothers
This one involves Jack Frost and Jack Lantern. They appear and do a comedy show. It misses every enemy I`ve tried it on, so I still don`t know what it does. :(

I also just made it to Floor 36 in Tarutaros, and I`m looking to get to Block 3 tonight. Will keep you all posted.

duckroll said:
Unlike that dirty old man Trin, I've decided that I'm not going to persude the loli community arc anymore since it just scares the hell out of me. Instead right now I have a choice of getting closer to the outgoing sports club manager chick or the shy reserved megane-ko. You heard that Trin? I'm going after girls that are not HALF MY AGE! :D

Hey, lolis need love too.

WalkMan

Banned
Oh man, I was reading about Devil Summoner in OPM or EGM can't remember but damn am I hyped again. Good time to go through Bebpo's review again though not the same as handling the detective... its as close as I can get right now. Come to me lushious pre-rendered backgrounds.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
WalkMan said:
Oh man, I was reading about Devil Summoner in OPM or EGM can't remember but damn am I hyped again. Good time to go through Bebpo's review again though not the same as handling the detective... its as close as I can get right now. Come to me lushious pre-rendered backgrounds.

Since I moved to japan, it`s been difficult NOT to be a glutton for SMT. I`ve been buying figures, art books, and games galore. I need to find a few of the Super Fami releases and I`ll be happy.

Btw, I picked up a Kazuma Kaneko artbook over the weekend. BOW DOWN:

http://www.eyesoute.com/trin/Photos/smt1.jpg
http://www.eyesoute.com/trin/Photos/smt2.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
TheTrin said:
Btw, I picked up a Kazuma Kaneko artbook over the weekend. BOW DOWN:

http://www.eyesoute.com/trin/Photos/smt1.jpg
http://www.eyesoute.com/trin/Photos/smt2.jpg

Yeah, I grabbed that a few weeks ago as well. The art is a good deal improved over the SMT1 art though some of the sexual things like the penis-monster are kinda disturbing.

Best part about it is the tag in the back saying SMT3 BOOK IS NEXT. So probably next summer. That is going to be the best art book ever :D

Error

I said it in the channel and I'll say it again, trin deliberately put p3 in that pic for us poor folks here in this states :(

he's evil.

thetrin

Error2k4 said:
I said it in the channel and I'll say it again, trin deliberately put p3 in that pic for us poor folks here in this states :(

he's evil.

It`s a good, endearing kind of evil, though. :)

Bebpo, I can`t wait for artbook 3. I would love to see a huge Persona artbook including Kaneko`s work, as well as everyone else`s. I love SMT main games, but Persona is still my favorite series.

Btw, has anyone played the original MegaTen games for Famicom? I wasn`t aware until very recently that the first MegaTen was based on a japanese novel of the same name. I`m trying to find myself a copy, and hope the blobs of kanji that will invariably be poorly rendered will be readable.

RevenantKioku

There are TWO fami games. Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei 1 and 2.
****ing HARD!
I picked myself up a complete copy of the first one at some store when I was in Kanazawa, complete for ¥200. I dunno if it's hard to find or not though, that was their only copy.
What is the complete list of MegaTen games anyway? Since I'm a sucker for collecting things.
I myself have
Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei 2
Shin Megami Tensei: if...
Majin Tensei
Persona (US)
Personal 2: Eternal Punishment (US)
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Devil Summoner (PSP/SAT)
Devil Children (PSX Compilation)
Revelations: Demon Slayer (GBC..er what was this in Japan?)

thetrin

RevenantKioku said:
There are TWO fami games. Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei 1 and 2.
****ing HARD!
I picked myself up a complete copy of the first one at some store when I was in Kanazawa, complete for ¥200. I dunno if it's hard to find or not though, that was their only copy.
What is the complete list of MegaTen games anyway? Since I'm a sucker for collecting things.
I myself have
Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei 2
Shin Megami Tensei: if...
Majin Tensei
Persona (US)
Personal 2: Eternal Punishment (US)
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Devil Summoner (PSP/SAT)
Devil Children (PSX Compilation)

I saw a copy of If... some time ago, but never picked it up, because of a lack of money. At the moment, despite being a collector, I only have P2EP, P3, and Nocturne. I`ve played SMT 1 and 2, but do not have copies of my own. I really need to find them.

Bebpo

Banned
I can't play the old games. I tried playing an ...If spin-off on my cellphone and I'd always get lost by about 5 floors in. Then I tried playing Devil Summoner on PSP and I kept running around in circles and getting lost. Tile-based dungeons = so confusing if you're not using a piece of a paper :\

NichM

Banned
Bebpo said:
Best part about it is the tag in the back saying SMT3 BOOK IS NEXT. So probably next summer. That is going to be the best art book ever :D

I dunno, it seems like good news/bad news to me. It's cool that the SMT3 one will be out so soon, but when the series began, it was meant to be a 10-volume set going in chronological order, with SMT3 being the second-to-last one and an "odds and ends" book as #10. The fact that SMT3 is now #3 in the series makes me worry about the fate of potential Soul Hackers and Persona entries, cause I'd kill to have artbooks for those games done as nicely as the two they've done so far.

Bebpo

Banned
NichM said:
I dunno, it seems like good news/bad news to me. It's cool that the SMT3 one will be out so soon, but when the series began, it was meant to be a 10-volume set going in chronological order, with SMT3 being the second-to-last one and an "odds and ends" book as #10. The fact that SMT3 is now #3 in the series makes me worry about the fate of potential Soul Hackers and Persona entries, cause I'd kill to have artbooks for those games done as nicely as the two they've done so far.

Yeah, but I don't want to have to wait another 7 years for the SMT3 book since SMT3 is my favorite of his designs. Sure it's greedy, but SEVEN YEARS (at the current rate of 1 book a year)...that's scary.

thetrin

Bebpo said:
I can't play the old games. I tried playing an ...If spin-off on my cellphone and I'd always get lost by about 5 floors in. Then I tried playing Devil Summoner on PSP and I kept running around in circles and getting lost. Tile-based dungeons = so confusing if you're not using a piece of a paper :\

I never intend to beat them, that`s for sure. It sure is fun to screw around in on a rainy day, though.

That said, I still prefer third person dungeons to first person dungeons. There`s just something about being able to see myself in the game.

thetrin

Hey duckroll, have you unlocked tarot XII commu yet? I`m trying to figure out if it happens no matter what you do, or just because I`ve been talking to the boy a lot.

duckroll

TheTrin said:
Hey duckroll, have you unlocked tarot XII commu yet? I`m trying to figure out if it happens no matter what you do, or just because I`ve been talking to the boy a lot.

Nope. But after staying awake for FAR TOO LONG over the weekend and Monday, I finally unlocked the "Go to sleep" tarot in real life! I'll keep you updated on P3 later. :lol

I watched PotC2 though, which was pretty good, even although there was
no ending!
:lol

thetrin

duckroll said:
Nope. But after staying awake for FAR TOO LONG over the weekend and Monday, I finally unlocked the "Go to sleep" tarot in real life! I'll keep you updated on P3 later. :lol

I watched PotC2 though, which was pretty good, even although there was
no ending!
:lol

I`m starting to think this tarot is only unlocked if you go to sleep instead of studying late at night, which lets you talk with the striped shirt boy more and more.

duckroll

TheTrin said:
I`m starting to think this tarot is only unlocked if you go to sleep instead of studying late at night, which lets you talk with the striped shirt boy more and more.

Nah, I got the tarot. It's an event that you shouldn't be able to miss. Finally now with more party members than I can take in one full party, the game gets even more interesting. I just lost another 30-40 mins because of my "must get to the next checkpoint" greed this time, since I was hoping to make up for my lack of Tartarosing in the past few days.... :(

I even got Frost Cap and a Short bow for Yukari.... I'll still probably be able to get the Cap since it was the Jack Frost lovelove level up item, but the bow was random... This is Diablo 2 sadness all over again.... I hate myself! :D

RevenantKioku

TheTrin said:
I saw a copy of If... some time ago, but never picked it up, because of a lack of money. At the moment, despite being a collector, I only have P2EP, P3, and Nocturne. I`ve played SMT 1 and 2, but do not have copies of my own. I really need to find them.
Hmm, was it expensive? All of my copies cost me less than ¥500 and are complete in box. Actually no that I think about it, if... may have been more expensive, like ¥1000 or something.
I'd really love to play the originals in the PS1/GBA versions, but those were **** all expensive. Stuff like Magjin Tensei though (I believe there's a sequel but I never found it) I found in a "get the **** rid of this stuff" box for ¥150. :lol Why hasn't this series been continued? We need more strategy RPGs this gen, right?

duckroll

I bought my SMT if SFC cart with box and manual for like 10 bucks, so yeah I don't see it as a particularly rare or expensive game either. :lol Majin Tensei was probably discontinued because there isn't really an interest for strategy SMT titles both in the fanbase and in Atlus R&D1 itself, I can't say I'm surprised since the SMT are really mostly all about the first-person relationship between the player and the character and Majin Tensei definitely lacks that.

thetrin

RevenantKioku said:
Hmm, was it expensive? All of my copies cost me less than ¥500 and are complete in box. Actually no that I think about it, if... may have been more expensive, like ¥1000 or something.
I'd really love to play the originals in the PS1/GBA versions, but those were **** all expensive. Stuff like Magjin Tensei though (I believe there's a sequel but I never found it) I found in a "get the **** rid of this stuff" box for ¥150. :lol Why hasn't this series been continued? We need more strategy RPGs this gen, right?

In Japan they`re cheap. I didn`t see If... in Japan though...

Are you going to be on IRC tonight, duck? I figured we might as well chat while we`re both playing.

RevenantKioku

duckroll said:
I bought my SMT if SFC cart with box and manual for like 10 bucks, so yeah I don't see it as a particularly rare or expensive game either. :lol Majin Tensei was probably discontinued because there isn't really an interest for strategy SMT titles both in the fanbase and in Atlus R&D1 itself, I can't say I'm surprised since the SMT are really mostly all about the first-person relationship between the player and the character and Majin Tensei definitely lacks that.
Yeah but with the bevy of SRPGs this gen....not that I miss it but Majin Tensei did have some cool big ass sprites.

RevenantKioku

duckroll said:
Yeah but with the bevy of SRPGs this gen....not that I miss it but Majin Tensei did have some cool big ass sprites.

thetrin

Anyway, BACK TO P3. :)

I'm starting to really wonder how many communities there really are. If that tarot numbers are accurate, there could be 13 of them.

duckroll

TheTrin said:
Anyway, BACK TO P3. :)

I'm starting to really wonder how many communities there really are. If that tarot numbers are accurate, there could be 13 of them.

There should be 21 in total, since that's how many major arcana there are in Tarot, and every single one of them are used in the Persona affinities.

thetrin

duckroll said:
There should be 21 in total, since that's how many major arcana there are in Tarot, and every single one of them are used in the Persona affinities.

Well there you go. Should be interesting to see what other Tarot people can find...

I'm dead sure that lonely fat kid is a tarot.

About the US sales: you're probably not going to find them. Atlus doesn't share those numbers to my knowledge. They've publically stated that the games as of late have done very well for them. What that means, exactly, is up to interpretation.

About Majin Tensei: It probably also has to do with the fact that the Rondo version on Saturn was completely awful for all intents and purposes. I don't expect that to pop up again any time soon, but weirder things have happened.

About Persona 3: In any case, I will have an import of this as well thanks to a friend... but I don't understand Japanese so it's going to be more an exercise in ****ing around than anything else. Still, I plan on capturing some movies for my site.

And speaking of which, do those of you who have been writing impressions here mind if I utilize them to update the Persona 3 section on www.digitaldevildb.com I am more than willing to link to this thread as the source and mention names.

I haven't really been to GAF in any form in a while... I was surprised to see how large this thread is.

Error

wow so the NichM that post here is Nich Maragos? didn't know I was wondering why he knew so much of SMT

duckroll

Semjaza Azazel said:
About the US sales: you're probably not going to find them. Atlus doesn't share those numbers to my knowledge. They've publically stated that the games as of late have done very well for them. What that means, exactly, is up to interpretation.

Well I was actually hoping that the NPD tracking fans have better numbers, I know Atlus doesn't share them publically.

About Majin Tensei: It probably also has to do with the fact that the Rondo version on Saturn was completely awful for all intents and purposes. I don't expect that to pop up again any time soon, but weirder things have happened.

You had to mention Rondo! Ouch! :lol

About Persona 3: In any case, I will have an import of this as well thanks to a friend... but I don't understand Japanese so it's going to be more an exercise in ****ing around than anything else. Still, I plan on capturing some movies for my site.

Yeah, the way R&D1 has designed Persona 3, you'll get very little out of it without Japanese knowledge. Hopefully that's why Atlus is releasing it next year, to give the text that extra polish.

And speaking of which, do those of you who have been writing impressions here mind if I utilize them to update the Persona 3 section on www.digitaldevildb.com I am more than willing to link to this thread as the source and mention names.

Oh sure thing, always glad to share the SMT love. :D

I haven't really been to GAF in any form in a while... I was surprised to see how large this thread is.

Yeah well, we've been spreading the cult for a while now. :lol

I remember some old SMT:N threads that got very few posts by comparison. It's weird coming in here... although it seems Persona 3 has more outside interest than any other game related to the "franchise" that I could possibly think of.

Anyway, thanks. I didn't want to leave what I have up there now knowing that there's a lot more information out now. It's hard keeping up to date on anything when I'm really the only person that works on that site. Disregard my PM lol

It's really time I sit down and try to learn Japanese. Have to start somewhere.

RevenantKioku said:

It was called Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible. It was followed by Last Bible II (not released in the US), also on the GB/GBC ... Last Bible III then came out on the Super Famicom, weirdly enough, while there was a strategy RPG spinoff, Another Bible, on the Game Boy.

I don't know if this was stated, but that blue thing isn't a mouse pad. It's basically just a rectangular glossy print. It sounds like it might be made out of thicker than normal stock.

That little rounded bubble was just to show the detail. It would have been more interesting if it WAS a mousepad, but I didn't think it was. What's included in that pack is kind of disappointing for the money... so is that other more expensive one with the leather bag and S.E.E.S armband.

Did anyone that picked it up get that pre-order disc? I'm interested in those wallpapers.

Error

Semjaza Azazel said:
I don't know if this was stated, but that blue thing isn't a mouse pad. It's basically just a rectangular glossy print. It sounds like it might be made out of thicker than normal stock.

That little rounded bubble was just to show the detail. It would have been more interesting if it WAS a mousepad, but I didn't think it was. What's included in that pack is kind of disappointing for the money... so is that other more expensive one with the leather bag and S.E.E.S armband.

Did anyone that picked it up get that pre-order disc? I'm interested in those wallpapers.
I have the wallpapers

I could put them in a zip and upload them.

Top Bottom