• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Phil Harrison Keynote @ GDC Thread.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
11:07 a.m.: When switching between locations, a loading screen says "relocating" and a progress bar fills up. It takes but a couple seconds, but we don't like being taken out of this other world. The sports location looks like an ESPN Zone on steroids. The Hall of Fame. Looks like PS3 is finally getting it's Achievements.

"The final part of the home experience that we would like to share with you is something called the Hall of Fame," he said. "You decide which trophy you want to position in the premium cabinets and you can share these with your friends."

Note, Phil is careful to not use the word "achievement" to describe their new feature. That's okay, we're just glad to have 'em, regardless of what they're called.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Wow, Home is extremely impressive.

Although I'm in with the same crowd thats saying that it resembles Second Life.

If you'll have the same freedoms in Home as you do in Second Life, the lolsy potential is sky high:

picture201hq0.png

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
XiaNaphryz said:
The same can be said over the rabid fanboys blowing everything out of proportion.

It's clearly a bit of both. This alone isn't going to fix Sony's biggest problem which is still price. Home could be huge for casuals, but they aren't going to pay 600 dollars for it.

That said, Home and Little Big Planet are undeniably awesome and to downplay the potential of both of them is ridiculous.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
11:11 a.m.: The space is a virtual trophy room (think Predator spaceship). When he looks over the balcony, there appears to be hundreds (thousands?) of additional trophies lining hte walls. The system doesn't slow down for a second. You're able to see what other trophies are just out of reach (or, in this case, way out of reach).

"It's not just about the games that you own. It's about the entire network of games that's available for Playstation 3. I think this gives you a sense of where htis might go in the future as hundreds and hundreds of titles are added. You can check out the trophies and that give the users an incentive to go and buy your game as well. It's a unique realtime 3D community for the playstation network."

sif

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/770/770996p1.html
As a "special thanks" for the media that attended his pre-GDC conference last night, Sony Computer Entertainment's President of Worldwide Studios, Phil Harrison unveiled the first in-game footage of Killzone ever seen. However, we did see it with a few caveats.

"Please remember that we're showing you this footage as an example of our technology," stated Harrison before running the b-roll. "Keep that in mind when looking at it and don't think of it as looking at the game directly."

The technology that Phil was referring to is "PlayStation Edge," a new advanced graphics tool that's meant to simplify PS3 development. The package comes complete with RSX performance analyzer and GCMReplay.

Following his brief statements, the footage played on multiple HD screens and showed off both ISA and Helghast soldiers blasting the bejesus of each other. The best way to describe how the aftermath looked is that it's "BLACK" for the next generation. There was a high level of destructibility as the bullets flew, and some seemingly-purposeful moments of slowdown (as in bullet-time, not a technical hitch).

As the footage came to a close, the word "E3" flashed on the screen followed by Harrison's confirmation that July is when we'd see the game next.

Sounds good IMO, especially the physics talk...

shagg_187 said:
OH MAN!

BOWLING WOULD WORK GREAT WITH SIXAXIS!!! :D

you hold the controller just like you hold the ball :D :D

Holy shit yeah it just occured to me that bowling on wii doesn't use any of its IR tech to point at the screen and it's all motion based, functionality the ps3 has. So bowling in the same manner is very possible if not more accurate given the way you hold the controller.

PS3-Sports Confirmed?

plus free......with online play...........

i don't have the proper emoticon for the expression my face is making.

The Jer

In the trailer it sounded like all these little "mini-games" and arcades would be free. I hope its not too good to be true.

kizmah

Lagaff said:
This truly screams "next gen"

Yes, bits and pieces of everything that has been done by someone else truly desrves to be called next-gen.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty cool but it has been done (if not exactly in the same way) and you guys are going apeshit over it.

AVclub

Everything looks GREAT so far! Home is way more robust than I imagined. So I guess there's no live video of this event, right? I got sick of the sarastic anti-Sony banter at 1up and closed that windows, but I'm looking for other real-time info. Anyone?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
14:12.46 -

The beta starts in April, and it's all launching in autumn 2007. Now it really is the end of the Home bit.

14:12.36 -

It's an easy platform to create, for both game and non-game brands.

14:12.08 -

In The Future, you'll be able to have more sophisticated clothing and Pets!

14:12.01 -

"It's a unique real-time 3D community". Avatar based, free to download, free to use and launched directly through the XMB. There are public and private spaces for every user.

14:11.54 -

Oh, he's summarising...

14:11.50 -

That's the Home bit over, then. What's next?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AltogetherAndrews said:
Oh please. The scope of this is damned near unlimited. Blowing this out of proportion isn't even an issue at this point.

No doubt, there is a ton of potential. I think the issue is some posters declaring the console wars over because of this announcement. This feature is great for the hardcore gamers, but this isn't going to expand the userbase until the price comes down, bottom line.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
14:13.49 -

Belinda Carlisle! A-Ha! It's 1992!

14:13.23 -

Time for a trip to the SingStore. Avril Lavigne. Ugh.

14:13.15 -

Time for Singstar. It's sold 7 million units on PS2 and delivered over 200 million songs, don't you know. They're expanding it for PS3, obviously. Harrison won't be singing.

Mau ®

Please remember that we're showing you this footage as an example of our technology," stated Harrison before running the b-roll. "Keep that in mind when looking at it and don't think of it as looking at the game directly."

I think we shouldnt be totally dissapointed. This is obviously a case like last year, where they showed some examples of what the Motorstorm engine could do, not representing the actual game. Nobody should judge Killzone until July really.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Pets too?!?!?! Ok I need cities, roads and cars now. Just got the full route.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
14:14.17 -

In the My Media Gallery, you can share your performances with others. You film them with an EyeToy or web camera.

Kangu

Banned
Home has so many potential issues it's hard to fathom. But personally I think bandwith is going to be the biggest problem. When I'm in the public space and 3 monitors are playing trailers for upcoming games how are things supposed to run smoothly? What about in my private space. If I have 20 people over and they want to watch videos off my PS3 things'll just slow to a crawl.

Looks like game 3.0 is going to need internet 2 to run.

The Chef

11:10 a.m.: Phil is reiterating just how FREE Home will be. I'm surprised Shane isn't speaking in tongues.

The fact that this free is unreal. Sony takes good care of us :D

The Jer

darksquirrel said:
Holy shit yeah it just occured to me that bowling on wii doesn't use any of its IR tech to point at the screen and it's all motion based, functionality the ps3 has. So bowling in the same manner is very possible if not more accurate given the way you hold the controller.

PS3-Sports Confirmed?

plus free......with online play...........

i don't have the proper emoticon for the expression my face is making.

Free PSwii sports with online play. :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BlueTsunami said:
Who cares? Oh look! Playstation 3 owners are getting excited! this makes me angry ;_;

Wahhhhhh
Wow, defensive much? I'm fine with people getting excited, but some of these reactions are just boggling. I could care less about this whole "console war" crap due to how it makes people react.

I'm just bitter GDC is becoming more and more of a PR platform the last several years. But whatever, I've always tried to ignore the corporate-sponsored crap whenever I attended.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Imagine fusing Home with something like Test Drive Unlimited.... hell home is what I originally thought TDU would have in it...

Wolffen

Wow. Just...wow. Sony actually delivered on software. Like most people, I was expecting something more akin to Animal Crossing or just basic rooms with no moving avatars. I wasn't expecting this. Damn. I'm still skeptical that Sony can pull off the integration with content on the hard drive and multiplayer connectivity (jump into a game together from Home that is), but they've got my attention now.

Still going to wait until I can get the system for around $450 with wi-fi and the large HDD.

GHG

Gold Member
hamzik said:
Yes, bits and pieces of everything that has been done by someone else truly desrves to be called next-gen.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty cool but it has been done (if not exactly in the same way) and you guys are going apeshit over it.

So you'd rather bits and pieces than one package with all of it brought together seemlessly? Puhlease.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The Chef said:
11:10 a.m.: Phil is reiterating just how FREE Home will be. I'm surprised Shane isn't speaking in tongues.

The fact that this free is unreal. Sony takes good care of us :D

:lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
11:18 a.m.: Alright, AND WE'RE BACK!

"We're looking forward to working closely with the record industry to expand and extend the number of songs available. We will be sharing, later today, at 2:30, something that we are defining as Playstation Edge. This is a sort of core tools and technologies that have enriched our first-party titles."

"Initially PlayStation edge will cover two key areas. GCM Relay. The second area is do do an SVU processing of geometry, compression, optimization. Anybody who's interested in Playstation 3 game development... check out what all of that is about. Of course all of this technology and information will be shared."

Next up is another brand new product.

Very cool stuff today, Sony. I'm personally looking forward to both LBP and Home. I'll be the first to admit that Home is how online GUIs should be done: Mii meets Sims meets XBL. Just imagine what such an interface might look like 10 years from now.

So today, I'm not as disappointed with my PS3, but am still largely playing the waiting game. Despite the coolness of these announcements, we'll see if they're reason enough to vault the $599 bar.

just to check, you guys can understand why some of us don't care about home right? i'm not downplaying it. i can see why you guys are all excited about it, but it took me three hours to get bored of second life... and it'll be interesting to see the pricing of furniture and homes and stuff... so what you can get for free.

now little big planet on the other hand looks so goddamn awesome. that's something i could see myself spending a lot of time with.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
XiaNaphryz said:
I could care less about this whole "console war" crap due to how it makes people react.

Thats "I couldn't care less"

and you do care since you posted about "Sony fans blowing it out of proportion. But I digress.

*exits stage left*

Top Bottom