• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Phil Harrison Keynote @ GDC Thread.

Rody

I caught myself smiling and laughing a lot during the keynote, specially because of "LittleBigPlanet". ****ing nice.

Phil says the game is out on PSN later this year and on Blu-Ray early 2008.

Raistlin

PjotrStroganov said:
I really hope many of the feature (achievements) will also be accessible in the main PS3 menu.

Ease of use Sony. Ease of use...

If you watch the presentation, underneath the Home icon in the XMB, there are a couple of others ... one which show a trophy cup. I'm guessing it is direct access to either the trophy room, or some more standardized interface for your awards.

spwolf said:
they did? when did that happen? When was Second life an entertainment center where you can talk and meet your gaming buddies, watch movies, play games, etc, etc.

Did I miss something?

Home seems like Second Life in 2020. A lot more stuff going on than just living Second Life.

How much better can it get than clan meeting, discussing strategies and then all playing the game together? Tie it into MMO's coming from Sony itself, and it will be huge.

It is pretty ridicilous to what extent people go to downplay Home. As if user interaction is something weird and not fun anymore... wtf are we all doing in here? Are we playing games? :).
did you miss something? yeah you did. you've been able to talk and meet with your friends, listen to music, watch videos and play games in second life for years.

have you ever played it?

while home does some interesting stuff unless you're into that whole digital avatar thing (and i'm not... not in second life, not in sims online and not in home) then it's just a cumbersome way of getting to those things.

obviously if you're into that stuff then it's great for you... but i'd rather hang out and mess about with people in a game that appeals to me rather than one that doesn't.

something like... LBP for example.

i just don't see why you guys have to downplay second life. it does stuff Home doesn't, just as Home does stuff Second Life doesn't... but it's been around for years and i've never seen anyone here give it any credit.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
PleoMax said:
Imagine them making the E3 press conference watchable on the the theatre....gather a bunch of friends and check it out while commenting it and shit...damm that would be awesome.

OH SHITS!!!:D

that Home seems like serious overkill but there's some cool features.

I hope you can browse other users trohpy rooms.

I'm also glad that they ripped off the XBL achievements feature :D

Dirtbag

am I the only one with extreme bandwith concerns for home. How does Sony plan to stream HD movies? I can't even download a blu-ray trailer without turning off the tv and walking away for an hour.

Finally got to watching the full presentation, and two things bother me about Home: the loading between "zones", and the stiff animations. Other than that, i'm still really, really impressed.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
The Jer said:
:( @ the trophy room. This is going to be like achievements, isn't it?

You could almost see Phil's brain churning away as he desperately tried to describe the trophies without using the word 'achievement'. :D

Galls

Banned
_leech_ said:
Finally got to watching the full presentation, and two things bother me about Home: the loading between "zones", and the stiff animations. Other than that, i'm still really, really impressed.

And that is why it cannot be considered a competitor to live in its own right, because it is not readily available across the platform and there is no instant use of its features.

And the achievements need to have an outlet outside of the PS3, for forum braggers and such.

spwolf

Dirtbag 504 said:
am I the only one with extreme bandwith concerns for home. How does Sony plan to stream HD movies? I can't even download a blu-ray trailer without turning off the tv and walking away for an hour.

probably by streaming it from their own servers, and not user servers. Or fom PSN store, if you purchased it already.

There is no way you will be able to stream anything to more than one person... anything. So it will be combination of streaming your uploaded content (you will probably have some amount of free space, just like photo sharing sites) and streaming from PSN for stuff you purchased.

spwolf

Galls said:
And that is why it cannot be considered a competitor to live in its own right, because it is not readily available across the platform and there is no instant use of its features.

sure it is... what exactly isnt instantly avail? It just picks up games from XMB... It is really simple when it comes to that.

Galls

Banned
spwolf said:
sure it is... what exactly isnt instantly avail? It just picks up games from XMB... It is really simple when it comes to that.

Thats the thing though, not everyone wants to boot up Home to chat with friends, or create a party for a game.

just finished watching the conference.

LBP is just one of those genious ideas that doesn´t come up very often.

awesome presentation, you could feel that the crowd really enjoyed that. new killer app for ps3.

home is a bit more than we predicted. not by what they showed, but by what it can do.

so imagine you´re SCEA. you can have a kratos home where you can go in and see footage, download demos...

you can have a gaf home, where people meet up to hang out and play online... the set of tools is there, i´m having a brainstorm. i imagine what developers are thinking. its also a great place to make money for companies like nike, coke, etc, etc...

they really understood that PS3 needed more.

competition is so great... long life for all 3 consoles, we can only win with that

Rlan

spwolf said:
probably by streaming it from their own servers, and not user servers. Or fom PSN store, if you purchased it already.

There is no way you will be able to stream anything to more than one person... anything. So it will be combination of streaming your uploaded content (you will probably have some amount of free space, just like photo sharing sites) and streaming from PSN for stuff you purchased.

I think he's saying how the hell are people goint to be able to stream HD media when people like me are on 512k speeds and still need to buffer something of Youtube quality?

Plus in Australia, anything that has very quick speed [ADSL2+], has caps on it, I wouldn't want all my download to go towards video running in the background somewhere.

Hopefully there is a quality option or something.

It's very slow though; at least for non-subscribers (even with a retail download accelerator). I've been at the 10-20 KB/s range since this afternoon.

The Jason

KyanMehwulfe said:
It's very slow though; at least for non-subscribers (even with a retail download accelerator). I've been at the 10-20 KB/s range since this afternoon.

yeah it is slow, I'm a member and its still only going at 30kb/s

Steroyd

Galls said:
Thats the thing though, not everyone wants to boot up Home to chat with friends, or create a party for a game.

It's not like Sony suddenly abolished the Friends list just think of it as the next step up from adding people to your friends list and you've known them for a while.

1. Play random guy.
2. Add to friends list.
3. Invite over to your place.

Can you really argue against something that is free?

Sho Nuff

Banned
LBP made everyone a believer. Quotes from the HOME showing via Pictochat:

(After them showing ads)
"Ads ads ads ads!"
"Does GAME 3.0 not feature rumble?"
"Can I buy an Ad-blocker from the PlayStation Store?"

(After showing avatars)
"Oh my god, they're not Wiis, they're Piis"
"They didn't rip off Wii Bowling or anything"
(Penis drawing)

(After 'You can even buy pets for your home')
"I want a giant enemy crab pet"
"Pet giant enemy crab"
"Can you buy a giant enemy crab?"

(After showing achievements)
"Wow it's the imperial senate"
"Giant enemy crab trophy please"

(After showing LBP)

"HOLY CRAP"
"There goes my cynicism"
"Good art good art"
"If this isnt realtime then I'm going to rabbit punch someone"
"Go Team FTW"
"Holy shit, SOMEONE GETS IT"
(Drawing of penis)

Tim-E

Good job, Sony. I think you've convinced me to get a PS3 before a 360.
I never thought I'd say that. I feel like I'm committing treason.

M3Freak

Banned
Wollan said:
I'm a member and I'm getting ~23KB. Stinks but in the end it's worth it to have this on my HDD.

wmv's can't be played on a PS3, right? I don't have any really fast machines to transcode the HD trailers or keynote address to mp4 in a reasonable amount of time.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Finally have time to post a reply, I was there bright and early for the whole keynote. LittleBigWorld is f*cking awesome! Is the demo they had at the keynote up on the internet?

The Jason

Sony seems to be making a change from it's past arrogance to a practical modesty, it seems this change started to happen when Howard Stringer made some specific staff adjustments. ;)

jiggle

TekunoRobby said:
Finally have time to post a reply, I was there bright and early for the whole keynote. LittleBigWorld is f*cking awesome! Is the demo they had at the keynote up on the internet?

I grabbed it from http://gamevideos.com/

best use a download manager though, becuase it disconnected on me a couple of times.

Tiktaalik

I think I get what Games 3.0 is supposed to be, but can someone explain what Games 1.0 and Games 2.0 are then?

I'd watch the full keynote to find out, but it's really choppy right now.

The Jason

game 1.0= disconnected consoles

game 2.0= the introduction of connected consoles

game 3.0 connected consoles with digitally distributed content, online social communities, and user generated content

he says,

game 2.0 is like web 1.0 (the introduction of the internet)
game 3.0 is like web 2.0 (youtube, myspace, ect, ect)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
413933744_24c7df7801.jpg

so much potential here. :D

Azrael

I found this article on David Jaffe's blog to be pretty interesting in light of the Home announcement.

But to try to craft an awards show, or to even DESIRE to craft an awards show BASED on the Oscars, when the Oscars itself (not to mention award shows in general) is a tired old horse that needs to be put out to pasture, is a mistake.

I've bitched for years that game awards need to be done online; done as an MMO weekend like THE BURNING MAN festival, but for games. In a giant virtual world where you can wander the landscape, chatingt with famous game makers who are walking around, go to speeches by these avatars and play new demos of the up comming games and/or play demos of the nominated games; and then go to the main stage and vote in real time for your fave game of the year...and then see how the pubic votes stack up to the academy votes.

Rlan

Sho Nuff said:
(After showing avatars)
(Penis drawing)

"HOLY CRAP"
"There goes my cynicism"
"Good art good art"
"Go Team FTW"
(Drawing of penis)

Oh Luke :D

xaosslug

Sho Nuff said:
LBP made everyone a believer. Quotes from the HOME showing via Pictochat:

(After them showing ads)
"Ads ads ads ads!"
"Does GAME 3.0 not feature rumble?"
"Can I buy an Ad-blocker from the PlayStation Store?"

(After showing avatars)
(Penis drawing)

(After 'You can even buy pets for your home')
"I want a giant enemy crab pet"
"Pet giant enemy crab"
"Can you buy a giant enemy crab?"

(After showing achievements)
"Wow it's the imperial senate"
"Giant enemy crab trophy please"

(After showing LBP)

"HOLY CRAP"
"There goes my cynicism"
"Good art good art"
"Go Team FTW"
(Drawing of penis)

that's was pretty much the convo. between the voices in my head as well. After I saw the trailer for LBP I was like 'wow, that was really nice looking. Cute. Fun. Pretty pretty.' and then I watched the Keynote demo and my brain oozed out my ear ala 'omgOmgOMGOMGZHAWTWANTSWANTS!'. Good times! :lol

Wollan

Just watched the whole keynote. It's really impressive to see what they have been capable of doing in Home. Physics and high res movies just playing without a single drop in framerate in a mmo environment. Very practical engine seemingly.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wollan said:
Just watched the whole keynote. It's really impressive to see what they have been capable of doing in Home. Physics and high res movies just playing without a single drop in framerate in a mmo environment. Very practical engine seemingly.

Something I will be using a lot. I will be very previews from the PS world alot.

Azrael

gbovo said:
SO HE KNEW ABOUT IT!!!

Geez, I wasn't saying I'm surprised he knew about it, I posted it because I thought it was a cool example of some of the things Sony might do with Home as in-game events.

Finally finished downloading it and just started watching.

I could help but chuckle at the steathly PR tactic of Phil putting the Nintendo DS into the "Game 2.0" category but the PSP into "Game 3.0" category.

AmishNazi

Banned
Rlan said:
I think he's saying how the hell are people goint to be able to stream HD media when people like me are on 512k speeds and still need to buffer something of Youtube quality?

Plus in Australia, anything that has very quick speed [ADSL2+], has caps on it, I wouldn't want all my download to go towards video running in the background somewhere.

Hopefully there is a quality option or something.

There's no way that was HD streaming on the 42" Bravia in the user's living room. The banners look like they might be 480p, but that is Sony's stuff. The user content looked much smaller. That's good for the anti piracy too.... because even if you manage to save it, it's not really worth it.

You'll prolly have to buffer the ads if you're on 512k

Top Bottom