• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official thread of "GAF I got a PS3, now what?"

hayguyz

Banned
I'm finally going to join the current generation of console gaming. I'm getting a PS3 soon and was wondering is there any reason I would need a 250 GB slim over the 120 GB version? I don't know what would take up so much space. Demos? Are DLC packs very large? What about PSN games?

Ardorx

Banned
Again, I cannot stress enough that bluetooth headsets are incredibly uncomfortable for me and yes, I have previously used the official Sony headset. I'm looking for a USB headset and only a USB headset.

Truespeed

hayguyz said:
I'm finally going to join the current generation of console gaming. I'm getting a PS3 soon and was wondering is there any reason I would need a 250 GB slim over the 120 GB version? I don't know what would take up so much space. Demos? Are DLC packs very large? What about PSN games?

The majority of PS3 games like to install GB's of data onto the HDD. Also, you'll amass a large amount of demo's and content that you'll probably want to keep - it's hard letting go of demo's because their availability is so enigmatic from region to region. You may even want to transfer your entire music collection to the PS3. 120GB may seem like a lot, but depending on how you consume content you'll find it can fill up rather quickly.

Truespeed

Ardorx said:
Again, I cannot stress enough that bluetooth headsets are incredibly uncomfortable for me and yes, I have previously used the official Sony headset. I'm looking for a USB headset and only a USB headset.

Have you tried the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000? I use it for PC gaming and it's very nice.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
hayguyz said:
Honestly, just get the 120. 320 and 500 gb drives are cheap enough now that you could probably get one for a little over $50 and have a spare 120gb drive laying around and still have a larger drive for around the same price. Definitely nowhere near a price bump as the 360 elite given the storage, but you can still get quite a bit more for around the same price and end up with an extra drive to boot. Or just worry about it when you fill up your 120 and can even get a better deal on drives.

TTG said:
Anyway, where is the menu to check for how much space I have left on my hdd and the option to install games? I loaded up Killzone and it did not ask. Also, has there been any news about offering ps2 classic games for download? I would love that.

The hdd info is in system information, which I think is under system settings.

You can't rip games to the hdd.

whitehawk

Banned
So we just got a PS3, mostly for blu-ray. What should my PSN be? My XBL gamertag (Kowaku) is taken, and so is whitehawk :( Also, I HATE NUMBERS!

Okay, a couple of video questions.

My TV is only 720p. What should I set my output at? I know that technically 720p is better than 1080i, but which is better for games/movies? My TV's native resolution is 1366x768, by the way.

Does the PS3 downscale 1080p BRDs to 720p well?

And also, I was watching LOST Season 5 on DVD tonight, trying to figure out the upconverting business. I changed the setting to "Full Screen". Is that the setting that will convert it to my TV's native resolution?

Finally, is there anyway to get it to display at my TV's optimal resolution, similar to what the 360 does through HDMI?

Firestorm

The official one is uncomfortable too. I'm not sure what people are talking about.
Does the Lifechat work with PS3? Dammit. I shouldn't have given mine away x.x

whitehawk

Banned
edit: To the above, I just ended up doing it backwards. Ukawok

Question:

Can you set up a printer to a PS3 through Wifi? Or at least through a network? I'd love to hook the printer up to the PS3, but it's too far away for USB.

kai3345

Banned
I just got a PS3 what are the must-haves?

Already have:
LittleBigPlanet
Uncharted 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Mirror's Edge
Valkyria Chronicles

enewtabie

kai3345 said:

Already have:
LittleBigPlanet
Uncharted 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Mirror's Edge
Valkyria Chronicles

Killzone 2,Resistance is great also. Get on PSN and pick up Pixel Junk Eden,Monsters and Shooter,Shatter.

Like Racing? Motorstorm and Burnout Paradise

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
kai3345 said:

Already have:
LittleBigPlanet
Uncharted 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Mirror's Edge
Valkyria Chronicles

God of War Collection, unless you already own GoW I + II

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
kai3345 said:

Already have:
LittleBigPlanet
Uncharted 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Mirror's Edge
Valkyria Chronicles

Demon's Souls
Folklore
Disgaea 3
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Prince of Persia
God of War Collection
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Final Fantasy XIII

DiddyBop

i got a PS3 for christmas, ive already bought:

MGS4
uncharted
demon's souls
modern warfare 2
little big planet

what else is essential? gonna borrow valkyria chronicles form my friend. have i got all my bases covered for now?

DiddyBop said:

MGS4
uncharted
demon's souls
modern warfare 2
little big planet

what else is essential? gonna borrow valkyria chronicles form my friend. have i got all my bases covered for now?

Motorstorm 2
Street Fighter IV
Warhawk
Bioshock
Infamous
Resident Evil 5
PixelJunk Series
Ratchet and Clank
Hardcore Climax Action Game of the Forever: Bayonetta!

Ardorx

Banned
Anyone know of a site that has all the games on PSN listed along with prices? I'm trying to find out how much Warhawk (and expansions) and some other stuff is.

Darkpen

Banned
Ardorx said:
Anyone know of a site that has all the games on PSN listed along with prices? I'm trying to find out how much Warhawk (and expansions) and some other stuff is.
Best bet is either use Kassatsu's psn store site, or just go to the PSN store yourself.

stupei

Feel a little stupid for asking because I'm sure there might be a really obvious answer, but this is something that's been bothering me since I got my PS3.

I've bought a few things on PSN and now the XMB looks a bit like a mess. I can group games or videos into just one giant folder, but then I open it and it's still just a long messy list. Are there such things as subfolders or ways to sort the list? Something?

As much as everyone talks about the elegance of the XMB, I'm sure I must be missing something. Help?

ymmv

Banned
stupei said:
Feel a little stupid for asking because I'm sure there might be a really obvious answer, but this is something that's been bothering me since I got my PS3.

I've bought a few things on PSN and now the XMB looks a bit like a mess. I can group games or videos into just one giant folder, but then I open it and it's still just a long messy list. Are there such things as subfolders or ways to sort the list? Something?

As much as everyone talks about the elegance of the XMB, I'm sure I must be missing something. Help?

You can change the game information in the XMB and sort on that field.

stupei said:

• Highlight a game, press the triangle button and choose information. Subfolders are called "Album". I've sorted my games into Demos, PSN Games, PS1 Games, and Applications.
• Change sorting mode with the square button, until you find album view.

Dunlop

Seraphis Cain said:
This. Oh man I'm so glad I discovered the PS3 Media Server.

Now if it only supported animated GIFs it'd be perfect. :lol

one of the best free applications ever.

Try to make sure you have a wired connection, I have come to discover that the wireless NIC on the PS3 is a steaming pile of shite....

I am now on my 2nd router (purchased just to try and solve my woes), on the first router I would get constant DC's now I flip a coin if the PS3 will see uPNP and NAT2. I have 5 devices including a wireless 360 that my wife uses daily to watch shows with the kids that work flawlessly.

I'm about to drill a hole through my damn living room floor :D

jepjepjep

peppermints said:
Okay, a couple of video questions.

My TV is only 720p. What should I set my output at? I know that technically 720p is better than 1080i, but which is better for games/movies? My TV's native resolution is 1366x768, by the way.

Does the PS3 downscale 1080p BRDs to 720p well?

And also, I was watching LOST Season 5 on DVD tonight, trying to figure out the upconverting business. I changed the setting to "Full Screen". Is that the setting that will convert it to my TV's native resolution?

Finally, is there anyway to get it to display at my TV's optimal resolution, similar to what the 360 does through HDMI?

I'll take a stab. I have a 1366x768 TV too and I run everything in 720p. I've tried both and I think 720p looks better. Most games are rendered natively in 720p anyway. Blu-rays will downscale from 1080p to 720p and still look amazing.

Not sure about the DVD upscaling. Try out all of the settings and go with what you think looks better.

Unfortunately, PS3 doesn't scale to the TVs resolution like the 360. We're stuck with the standards, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc.

jepjepjep

DiddyBop said:

MGS4
uncharted
demon's souls
modern warfare 2
little big planet

Uncharted 2 and inFAMOUS are two of the best.

Dunlop said:
one of the best free applications ever.

Try to make sure you have a wired connection, I have come to discover that the wireless NIC on the PS3 is a steaming pile of shite....

I am now on my 2nd router (purchased just to try and solve my woes), on the first router I would get constant DC's now I flip a coin if the PS3 will see uPNP and NAT2. I have 5 devices including a wireless 360 that my wife uses daily to watch shows with the kids that work flawlessly.

I'm about to drill a hole through my damn living room floor :D

My 40gig Fat unit couldn't stream media for shit over my network if I used wireless so I was forced to hardwire it. But after I got my Slim, it does it just fine over the wireless network to the exact same computer and network settings so maybe it's just the fat units that have shitty wireless networking.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
great thread.
I've been a pretty diehard xbox 360 fan for the past few years but I recently had my second RROD, coinciding very nicely with my xbox live service running out, so I decided to take the plunge and get a PS3. I think I will be happy with it, but its kinda dissappointing that it doesnt come with any sort of hi-def cables out of the box. Luckily, thanks to this thread, I ordered an HDMI cable from amazon for under $4 rather than shelling out $30.

Haven't bought any games yet... Most interested in Uncharted (1 & 2), Infamous, and Demon's Souls. Valkyria Chronicles is pretty cheap so I'll probably check that out too. Just don't know what to get first... Something tells me if I get Demon's Souls, i won't want to play anything else for a long time. Maybe thats not such a bad thing...

pedr0theli0n said:
great thread.
I've been a pretty diehard xbox 360 fan for the past few years but I recently had my second RROD, coinciding very nicely with my xbox live service running out, so I decided to take the plunge and get a PS3. I think I will be happy with it, but its kinda dissappointing that it doesnt come with any sort of hi-def cables out of the box. Luckily, thanks to this thread, I ordered an HDMI cable from amazon for under $4 rather than shelling out $30.

Haven't bought any games yet... Most interested in Uncharted (1 & 2), Infamous, and Demon's Souls. Valkyria Chronicles is pretty cheap so I'll probably check that out too. Just don't know what to get first... Something tells me if I get Demon's Souls, i won't want to play anything else for a long time. Maybe thats not such a bad thing...
Just download a couple of demos (VC and inFamous for instance if they're still up).

Luigison

OldJadedGamer said:
My 40gig Fat unit couldn't stream media for shit over my network if I used wireless so I was forced to hardwire it. But after I got my Slim, it does it just fine over the wireless network to the exact same computer and network settings so maybe it's just the fat units that have shitty wireless networking.
I had similar problems with my 80G BC fat at first. Then someone suggested http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/ and it solved all my problems.

DonMigs85

Hey guys, I was jut wondering. If you use the PS3 Transfer utility does it copy over everything, even internet connection settings and the old console's MAC address? Thinking of upgrading to a Slim soon.

AndyD

aka andydumi
DonMigs85 said:
Hey guys, I was jut wondering. If you use the PS3 Transfer utility does it copy over everything, even internet connection settings and the old console's MAC address? Thinking of upgrading to a Slim soon.

MAC address is a hardware code in the network card. It will probably copy over settings, but not the MAC address.

Aspiring

Hello gaf, i need your help. Not sure where to post this but seeing as its a PS3 thread i wil try. I am getting a 500GB Hard Drive today and was wondering how on earth do i back up all my old saves and Downloads? I do not have anything that big to copy it too. Is there anyway i can copy them to my PC? I have like 15gigs just of Rock Band songs. I dont want to have to download them all again, so can anybody shed some light on how to do it?

Thanks!

Cornbread78

Hello gaf, i need your help. Not sure where to post this but seeing as its a PS3 thread i wil try. I am getting a 500GB Hard Drive today and was wondering how on earth do i back up all my old saves and Downloads? I do not have anything that big to copy it too. Is there anyway i can copy them to my PC? I have like 15gigs just of Rock Band songs. I dont want to have to download them all again, so can anybody shed some light on how to do it?

Thanks!

buy an external hard drive and do a data back-up. That should do the trick.

Aspiring

Ah OK cool Thank you. My brother has a 250gb Drive. Will just borrow his. Never thought of doing this LOL. Thank you!

EDIT: Sorry, but doing the backup on an external drive wont reformat it will it? My brother will kill me!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Aspiring said:
Ah OK cool Thank you. My brother has a 250gb Drive. Will just borrow his. Never thought of doing this LOL. Thank you!

EDIT: Sorry, but doing the backup on an external drive wont reformat it will it? My brother will kill me!

If its in fat32 already, it wont do anything to it. But if its NTFS, the PS3 wont recognize it all I think. At least that's how I remember it.

Aspiring

OK cool. So worst case scenario is the PS3 wont pick it up. As long as it does not reformat it, as he will kick me in the balls lol.

Thanks your all of your help!

shwimpy

My friend told me he just recently got a PS3 to get ready for all the March releases and then I looked at the release schedule and I completely forgot how many games were coming out.

Are you guys going buy/rent/pass these following games?

Heavy Rain
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Last Rebellion
Bad Company 2
MLB '10 The Show
FF13
Yakuza 3
God of War 3
Resonance of Fate
Just Cause 2
Episodes from Liberty City

• Day One
3D Dot Game Heroes
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIV (PS3 or PC)
Gran Turismo 5

• Waiting for price drops
Heavy Rain
Resonance of Fate
Yakuza 3

• Might pick up if I find it really really cheap
God of War 3
Star Ocean: The Last Hope <International>
White Knight Chronicles: International Edition

widgetraf

shwimpy said:
My friend told me he just recently got a PS3 to get ready for all the March releases and then I looked at the release schedule and I completely forgot how many games were coming out.

Are you guys going buy/rent/pass these following games?

Heavy Rain
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Last Rebellion
Bad Company 2
MLB '10 The Show
FF13
Yakuza 3
God of War 3
Resonance of Fate
Just Cause 2
Episodes from Liberty City

Definitely buying Heavy Rain after playing the demo. Also day one on FF13 PS3. Resonance of Fate I might save for summer, since I'll probably be playing FF13 during the spring.

5il3nc3r

Planning to get Killzone 2. Is there still an active community for the multiplayer? The reason i ask is because reading the Uncharted 2 thread i see a few people referencing Kiillzone 2 as a multiplayer patch gone wrong.

Top Bottom