• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Transformers: The Movie thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

.hacked

weren't a lot of the early transformers (Megatron, soundwave and the 3 camera guys) just older Japanese toys rebranded as Transformers?

There was no deeper meaning, just some old toys they wanted to use again. get over it.

Kaijima said:
It was all about Starscream. The relationship he had with Megatron was hilarious, where Megatron KNEW that Starscream was essentially plotting to kill him continually. And you were never sure if it was pure contempt for Starscream, amusement, or utter confidence in himself that caused Megatron to shrug the threat off (and slap Starscream down like a bug when required). Then you had Starscream, the plucky bastard, absolutely never giving up no matter how many times he failed. He was incredibly cunning, yet suffered his own brand of stupidity, and one wondered at times if he *really didn't grasp* that Megatron saw through him like plastic wrap.

For an 80's cartoon, Transformers always did have to me a bit more strength in characterization and writing than was typical. Even if there were restrictions placed on the content and storytelling like other kidvid, the fact that it was about giant -robots- allowed the writers to get away with far more than if it'd been a bunch of human characters. People (machine people) could get banged up, blown apart, really injured, and the conflict seemed more like a real war than say, GI Joe with its amazing bloodless laser rifle battles.

Best post in here!

Kaijima said:
An analogy would be taking Batman and putting him in yellow tights with an orange cape, giving him the super power of shooting tacos from his fingertips, and still calling him 'Batman'. You can argue all day that perhaps the -setting- Batman was thrust into made it more logical for him to be a taco-shooting leotard man.

Ah, so you saw Joel Schumacher's original plans for Batman Triumphant?

(Sorry, couldn't resist the dig.)

I don't know, on one hand this has some good names behind it, and probably a decent budget, on the other, I'm getting that vibe I got with Thunderbirds, where they were trying to make something a generic "cool" action movie in ways that didn't work. But obviously, with two years of development time ahead of them, they've certainly got plenty of time to convince me it'll turn out otherwise. It's just hard not to be jaded about this sort of news, when they talk about setting it as the big action movie of the summer.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
.hacked said:
weren't a lot of the early transformers (Megatron, soundwave and the 3 camera guys) just older Japanese toys rebranded as Transformers?

There was no deeper meaning, just some old toys they wanted to use again. get over it.

no one's really claiming deep meaning. Me at least, I just don't want Dreamworks to push this as a G1 movie when it's no more G1 than most other later Transformers lines like Car Robots or Armada. And I really never had a problem with reimagined TF lines.

teiresias

I personally never liked the fact that Megatron turned into a tiny gun. Seemed beneath him, though perhaps it was going for a kind of irony in the characterization that way, but I think it could come across wrong in a film.

It's the same way I feel about Skeletor actually, he was wacky, crazy, and pretty damn funny in the cartoon - but that would have been a travesty in the movie. Sure, the movie is pretty damn bad, but Frank Langella absolutely nails Skeletor and it's freaking awesome!

I think Megatron, to be a properly feared villian should have the same kind of straight darkness about him.

And I always associated Soundwave more with his voice than with his boombox.

And quite honestly, I think the general public doesn't distinguish G1 from anything else, and they'll consider it G1 so long as there is a robot named Optimus Prime that turns into a tractor trailer and another transformer that turns into a VW Beetle.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Desperado said:
What did G1 do better than BW?

Absolutely nothing. I've been a TF fan since the "More Than Meets The Eye" three-parter originally aired, and having watched the entire G1 series again on DVD within the last year, I can empirically say that I can count the number of truly "good" G1 cartoon episodes on two hands. Beast Wars was a vastly superior series, with far better writing, character development, and one hell of an overarcing storyline (which, granted, wouldn't have been possible without G1 to tie into, but it was still better than "The Ultimate Doom"). I love the G1 stuff because of nostalgia, but all of it has been surpassed in just about every area. The movie still holds up with the exception of the '80s You-Can-Do-It rock (not that I don't have love for Stan Bush...I nearly had an aneurysm when "The Touch" popped up in Boogie Nights), but the TV series has abysmal animation, schlocky writing when the episode isn't part of the overall TF mythos, and the toys are almost universally obsolete at this point thanks to the Binaltech and Masterpiece toy lines from Takara.

Nothing touches the love I have for G1 from when I was a kid, but if I were shown that stuff today with no knowledge of the Transformers, I wouldn't have any interest whatsoever. Yeah, I'd rather have Soundwave transform into a cassette player, but how many kids these days would even know what it was, let alone how he manages to shrink by a factor of 10? Best I hope for from this movie is some slam-bang giant robot fights and some decent toy tie-ins.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
teiresias said:
And quite honestly, I think the general public doesn't distinguish G1 from anything else, and they'll consider it G1 so long as there is a robot named Optimus Prime that turns into a tractor trailer and another transformer that turns into a VW Beetle.

Unfortunately, no plans are in place for a deal with Volkswagen, so Bumblebee will not be a VW, according to one of the producers. The idea is to strike a deal with one manufacturer and have all the Autobots turn into models from that brand.

FoneBone

I think teiresias has it about right. To the general public, Tranformers are just transforming robots -- you need Autobots (including Optimus Prime, of course), and Decepticons, and beyond that, only the fanboys will give a shit.

Reilly

starscream9vs.jpg

aparisi2274

Like I said in a previous post, if they are making this movie after the G1 mythos, then there are certain guidelines that need to be followed.

Optimus Prime and Megatron have to be the leaders.

Characters like Starscream, Soundwave, Wheeljack, Bumblebee, Jazz, ect have to be prominent characters.

There has to be a human named Spike.

Aside from that, I know that I can not expect the filmmakers to keep soundwave an 80's boombox, or Jazz an 80's Porsche, or Bumblebee a 60's VW bug. I mean hell first off the movie company is going to have to get the rights to make Jazz and Bumblebee their respective cars, and so far VW has been less than thrilled in giving over the license to the VW bug for the Binaltech series of toys. So lets hope a movie will sway their judgement.

Soundwave since he was more into snooping and recon, he can be anything he wants, as long as they keep the same style of voice he had in the cartoon. You can make him a fuckin Ipod or MD player for all I care, but he needs to be able to produce minions like Laserbeak, or Ravage. So perhaps a MD player would be fine. In terms of shapeshifting, I think Don Murphy spoke about this in one of his posts, and he said that they may have come up with a cool way to make it happen. Which would be good, because if Soundwave was an MD player, and he transformed into a robot and stayed about the same size, then laserbeak and ravage would be the size of a penny or something.....

I have been reading Don Murphy's boards about this movie, and believe me there are some serious hardcore fans out there, who are already protesting that Peter Cullen and Frank Welker reprise their roles of Optimus and Megatron, and not to use A-list celebs for those roles. They have also been driving him crazy with requests to keep the characters as faithful to their original G1 counterparts. Its fun to read and to see how strongly these fans feel for the G1 line.

I mean hell I would be happy if the autobots were modeled after their new binaltech forms, but the depcepticons would have to keep their old forms, Starscream and his guys need to be fighter jets, ect... because the binaltech line is all cars.

Anyway, just keep looking at the official website for info on the movie, or check out tformers.com for movie updates from Don Murphy.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
You've really only got two characters who have options as far as what car they turn into (Jazz and Bumblebee). Prowl is a police car of whatever make they choose, Ratchet is a given, Prime is an 18-wheeler that's pretty identical to the G1 version judging by the Comicon setup.

Starscream will evidently be the only jet, as they don't want identical robots confusing the audience. Megatron, Shockwave, Soundwave, and Starscream are four of the five Decepticons. No idea who they'd pick for the fifth. I also half expect they'll use Shockwave's Binaltech name (Shockblast) so as to avoid confusion over two characters with "-wave" in their names.

At this point I don't care. I would like to see Prime voiced by Peter Cullen (not gonna happen) and Soundwave still have his flange-happy voice, but who knows if they'll find that worth retaining.

tmdorsey

aparisi2274 said:
I have been reading Don Murphy's boards about this movie, and believe me there are some serious hardcore fans out there, who are already protesting that Peter Cullen and Frank Welker reprise their roles of Optimus and Megatron, and not to use A-list celebs for those roles.

I don't blame them either. They are true spirit of the characters. They also need to make finding somebody who can mimic the voice of the dude who did Starscream from the 80s series a top priority also. Pay them whatever it takes......

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
He was passable, but not great. I guarantee there are people out there who could do a better Starscream, they just need to look.

Soundwave never was a boombox, he's a Walkman. Blaster is the boombox (also proven by his to-scale figure being twice the size of Soundwave's).

And Megatron has been a tank in G2 as well as Armada. Heck, going by Dreamwave's story he was originally a big mean tank too, before he went to Earth.

----

Banned
Wow, I just heard about this movie. This makes my year. If only Steven Spielberg was actually directing it though. Dreamworks backing, Michael Bay directing, Steven Spielberg producing a live action Transformers movie for July 4th, this is better than I could have ever anticipated for the series. Please tell me the movie will be based on generation 1 transformers and not any of the garbage they have done since then. You know this movie is gonna be all about the CG and action sequences. Imagine Jurassic Park with giant transforming robots. Ever since I saw that transforming car commerical I've been thinking how cool a live action transformers movie could be.

Hopefully they will get good voice actors to voice the characters because the overly dramatic dialogue and exceptional voice acting talent are 50% of what made the Transformers generation 1 such an amazing cartoon series. Unfortunately I can't imagine anyone ever being able to match or duplicate the voice work of the late Chris Latta (Starscream/Cobra Commander/Wheeljack). And Starscream is arguably one of the most interesting/important characters in the series. Dreamworks needs to get on the phone with Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime/Iron Hide) like right now and be like enough of this silly "Eyeore" Winnie the Pooh crap and cut him a huge check. Then they need to get Frank Welker (Megatron/Soundwave/Rumble/Frenzy) on the phone and do the same. These guys are still actively working in the movie/tv business so there's no reason why they couldn't get them to reprise their roles. http://imdb.com/title/tt0092106/fullcredits

I'd love to see Grimlock make an appearance/cameo. There is so much potential for this movie, I really hope that the budget is huge.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Not a bad video. It looks like Soundwave is a helicopter and there's a new beetle as well. I didn't see Megatron (he's a tank right) but there's a kick ass plane hovering in the air in one scene. Isn't it a little early to be working on the CGI already? I didn't think they had started filming yet.

It'll be real interesting to see how the promo art comes out... can't wait.

My childhood captured on the screen. Now wheres my GI Joe live action?

Simo

MadOdorMachine said:
Isn't it a little early to be working on the CGI already? I didn't think they had started filming yet.

Early Concepts and Pre-Visualisation mostly, just to give people an idea of what it could look like as well as some of the animation for the transforming and whatnot.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
They're going to start shooting work with extras in my hometown (of which I was selected, yet, can't attend) in New Mexico here Memorial Day weekend (hence, why I can't go =( I have to work).

They needed people who could pass as military or "mediterianian" looking for the extras (yes, I buthered the word. Yes, I'm too lazy to fix).

Just some info to be thrown out there.

Ichirou

Banned
Kreuzader said:
Some of them anyway; there's a script review up here:

http://latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=25

I like what I read in the review *BIG SPOILER FOR THE OPENING SCENE OF THE MOVIE*
except the part about Cybertron being destroyed. I was kinda forward to having the Transformers go there for the sequel, or something. And as I recall, in the original Transformers show, Energon cubes were just like fuel for them, weren't they? What's this about the Energon cube giving them the spark of life or whatever?

Ichirou_Oogami said:
I like what I read in the review *BIG SPOILER FOR THE OPENING SCENE OF THE MOVIE*
except the part about Cybertron being destroyed. I was kinda forward to having the Transformers go there for the sequel, or something. And as I recall, in the original Transformers show, Energon cubes were just like fuel for them, weren't they? What's this about the Energon cube giving them the spark of life or whatever?

You are correct, sir.
Energon Cubes were their form of food... now they change it up a bit.

but i want t see what they do with this. My childhood comes to life.

Ichirou

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
You are correct, sir.
Energon Cubes were their form of food... now they change it up a bit.

but i want t see what they do with this. My childhood comes to life.

I've gotten a lot more interested in Transformers lately since I bought the Masterpiece Convoy and Hybrid Style Convoy in Akihabara. Damn, those are frickin' awesome toys...it really sort of is like our childhood coming back to life, isn't it? Now if they could do an awesome G.I. Joe movie, that would be perfect. Or an updated version of Silverhawks. And I think they're already planning a new He-Man movie...

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
.hacked said:

yeah they were developed as toys but they werent Megatron and soundwave. The line had a different name and they werent the transformers characters. It wasnt until hasbro bought them and marvel developed them that you had "the transformers" but the transforming robots idea was...Takaras...i think.

Kreuzader

Regarding the Energon Cube in the movie, it sounds like it has the same function/properties as the Matrix of Leadership in the cartoon and comics.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Teh Hamburglar said:
We need Astrotrain :(

astrotrain1.jpg

astro train was nothing more than the bastard child of omega supreme, put em in if you want but the 8 sec beat down at the hands of omega supreme wont be pretty. Actually they couldnt put OS in the movie because then there wouldnt even be a contest.

bjork

DonasaurusRex said:
yeah they were developed as toys but they werent Megatron and soundwave. The line had a different name and they werent the transformers characters. It wasnt until hasbro bought them and marvel developed them that you had "the transformers" but the transforming robots idea was...Takaras...i think.

The original line was Diaclone, but I think they lifted some from other series as well.

Mike M

Nick N
Outcast2004 said:
That Megtron will never come out here.... if it does, it will be bright neon colors or changed to a tank somehow.
It is coming out here, and it's not neon colored, and it's not going to be a tank.

Mike M said:
It is coming out here, and it's not neon colored, and it's not going to be a tank.

We'll see....
It sure as hell won't be realistically colored. You can't.
At the VERY least it WILL have a bright orange tip. That much is LAW.

Sapienshomo said:
I don't think my post was a complete hate. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the fascination with it. As a trans-fan, maybe you could share why it's so appealing.

Again, I just want to reiterate that I wouldn't mind seeing it. The transformers concept remains absurd.

If they can make a "Dukes of Hazzard" movie, a "Bewitched" movie, two "Brady Bunch" movies, and something called "Dude, Where's My Car?" ... why not "Transformers"?

And while yes the TV show if you watch it now is obviously for kids (who else would it be for?) ... the Transformers animated movie is still pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom