• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Trump to revoke transgender bathroom guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly I think it will be just like all the other mid term elections. I do hope that I'm wrong, would be glorious if dems could take control back.

Oh and screw Trump :/

It being like other midterms isn't bad. Midterms generally are against the party in the White House. The Senate is probably a lost cause, but the House is very possible, even though gerrymandering is a real concern.

Misha

Banned
Why would Trump even care about this? He only cares about things that affect him directly. This is him listening to other republicans because they say very nice things about him.
He campaigned on leaving LGBT rights up to the states. This isn't something he suddenly did to please someone.

MarionCB

So that hastily scrawled upon rainbow flag didn't protect us; who would have thought, huh? (I never noticed it was written on the golden stripe, but of course it was).

that's the new rallying cry. thanks maher, you worthless cunt.

I can't believe he got away with that, and calling trans people "weirdos". The piece of shit.

I know you're joking but all kidding aside I remmeber Bill saying in his show once that his stance on this bullshit was, and I'm paraphrasing, "if you look like a man go to the men's restroom. If you look like a woman go to the ladie's room. It's that simple". Something I can support.

When he said that transgender people have a “psychiatric disorder,” do you just move on from that?

Move on? It dominated the entire [online] segment. The other guests attacked him. When I say, “That’s not unreasonable” [to not want to share a bathroom with a transgender person] it’s because women have said that to me: “I want to know,” or “I’m not comfortable with someone in the bathroom, even if they, in their minds, have decided they are a woman.” Doesn’t that opinion count at all?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/arts/television/bill-maher-milo-yiannopoulos-interview.html

Maher is useless.

Is it wrong that I think if he keeps going down this road to appeal to the religious right it will probably hurt him politically more than anything else he has done or said so far?

Side stepping LGBT issues and not going after them 100% helped him win the election.

He's going to regret this.

Toxi

Banned
Is it wrong that I think if he keeps going down this road to appeal to the religious right it will probably hurt him politically more than anything else he has done or said so far?

Side stepping LGBT issues and not going after them 100% helped him win the election.

Transgender Americans have much less widespread acceptance than lesbian, gay, and bisexual Americans. Not just among the religious right, but also among secular Americans. Discrimination against them is even acceptable among some liberals, as Bill Maher demonstrated on Friday.

Conservatives probe the general public reaction for where the line they can acceptably cross is. This is that line.

This was a campaign promise that he's making good on. Won't hurt him at all.

theWB27

They sincerely give no fucks about anything other than their own agenda. It's sad that so many see regression as moving forward. I hope there's an upheaval over this.

Literally Trans folk have to hope for the benevolence of the NBA and NFL and the NCAA n shit even more ... awesome

Problem is this is going to now be a school by school thing.... it won't be North Carolina, it'll be Andre Jack High and JFK High and whatever in cities all over and it'll be kid by kid....

Apharmd

"we firmly thow our hands up and deffer to another level of government"

Yes. We respect state authority. And that's why we're revoking federal funding for cities that defy our authority on sanctuary status.

What do you mean that doesn't make sense? YOU DON'T MAKE SENSE.

It pains me to see this happening. The community needs to support itself because your president won't. There will be deaths of the most vulnerable and most harmless. BUT RELIGOUS FREEDOM. Jesus wept.

Eusis

Sadly I think it will be just like all the other mid term elections. I do hope that I'm wrong, would be glorious if dems could take control back.

Oh and screw Trump :/
The norm for mid terms has been to blindly vote against the incumbent executive party. Add a dash of outrage and we'll probably be OK, the real question is how many seats are open and if they can be realistically taken.

EDIT: And it's sad that it's become so routine to see his shit that it barely merits me making a comment. But I should be more active in... whatever I can be active in just so pressure is there rather than apathy to action.

This is abhorrent.

People just want some dignity while they're using a goddamn bathroom.

I predict this lasts until the point where a straight Christian woman is confronted and forced to prove her gender when trying to use female facilities.

Wait, so he held up a flag saying LGBTs for Trump while also saying he was going to remove their bathroom rights? I don't remember that being a campaign promise.

Trump: Leave transgender issue to states

The Hill said:
Donald Trump on Friday declined to criticize the Obama administration's directive to public schools that transgender people be allowed to use the restrooms that match their gender identity.

The presumptive GOP presidential nominee said he's always felt it should be left to states to decide on the issue, amid continued debate and legal battle over a law in North Carolina.

"I believe it should be states' rights and I think the states should make the decision, they're more capable of making the decision," Trump said on ABC's "Good Morning America."

Asked directly if he was against the administration's directive, Trump responded, "I just think it should be states' rights. I think many things actually should be states' rights, but this is a perfect example of it."

Usually I'm for states deciding things, but protection for marginalized groups with a known history of intense discrimination directed towards then should absolutely be required

Will we ever get to a point where all bathrooms are unisex

Bill de Blasio @NYCMayor

We affirm the right of every New Yorker to use the bathroom that fits their identity. A new president will not change our values.

Bill de Blasio @NYCMayor

Last year, we ensured access to restrooms that align with a person's gender identity. That's not changing. http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-m...-bathroom-access-people-consistent-gender/#/0 …

Yeah so he's the Mayor of NYC but does Cuomo also affirm that?

'cause I need to get out of Florida before I start going feral antifa but I probably can't afford to live in NYC unless I sell sexual fulfillment.

If he want's everything to be determined by the states and a smaller federal government. What's the point of having him as president? He's just brushing everything to the side.

Yeah so he's the Mayor of NYC but does Cuomo also affirm that?

'cause I need to get out of Florida before I start going feral antifa but I probably can't afford to live in NYC unless I sell sexual fulfillment.

They've been pretty much on the same side in regards to Trumps actions that effect NY. Also if you do want to live in NYC, the outer boroughs are generally more affordable.

Ithil

If he want's everything to be determined by the states and a smaller federal government. What's the point of having him as president? He's just brushing everything to the side.

He doesn't. It's just an excuse to take away rights but waive responsibility for it.
States' rights go out the window on anything he does want like the Muslim ban or sanctuary cities.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Good.

Now we can get this before a court and settle the civil rights issue.

I didn't like that we had to have the courts tell everyone that marriage isn't just for straight people, as I would have preferred that states come around to that decision on their own. However now that we know the courts can be used to settle this civil rights issue, let's get it done.

Transgender Americans have much less widespread acceptance than lesbian, gay, and bisexual Americans. Not just among the religious right, but also among secular Americans. Discrimination against them is even acceptable among some liberals, as Bill Maher demonstrated on Friday.

Conservatives probe the general public reaction for where the line they can acceptably cross is. This is that line.
Then why did the governor of NC lose re-election.

He targeted trans people, and it totally blew up in his face.

This was a campaign promise that he's making good on. Won't hurt him at all.
It was not widely talked about or advertised that he would. I still stand by the point that avoiding any real bad sound bites or actively targeting LGBT people during the campaign helped him significantly.

If this actually goes into practice and people can visibly see he is targeting trans people it will with out question hurt him.

Misha

Banned
Then why did the governor of NC lose re-election.

He targeted trans people, and it totally blew up in his face.
Companies were pulling out of North Carolina. He was costing them jobs and money and basketball.

I'm very skeptical that people would have stood up for trans people on their own

Maxim726X

It being like other midterms isn't bad. Midterms generally are against the party in the White House. The Senate is probably a lost cause, but the House is very possible, even though gerrymandering is a real concern.

Dems should be focusing on winning back state elections by 2020 so they can redistrict as they see fit...

He only BARELY lost, and it was mounting pressure from corporations and sports that did it.
He barely lost an election he would have easily won without going after them.

Think about it, he ticket split worse than Trump for a reason. Considering how much went well for republicans this election, him suffering significant political blowback for this one issue is a big deal

Corporations can also bring pressure on trump as well

He only BARELY lost, and it was mounting pressure from corporations and sports that did it.

It's still a good sign that even a state like NC turned on their governor (even if only barely) over it. To my understanding it still leans safely republican.

I hope you can get somewhere that will accept you though, even though I have to acknowledge that it's more a case of somewhere that will be less shitty to you then Florida. Unfortunately I'm not sure of anywhere that Trans people don't have to deal with bullshit day in and day out.

I still think we're making progress with hearts and minds on this issue. But it is beyond painfully slow.

Glix

Companies were pulling out of North Carolina. He was costing them jobs and money and basketball.

I'm very skeptical that people would have stood up for trans people on their own

Why were companies pulling out?

That isn't standing up for trans people?

Any state that follows NC is going to be destroyed by a combo of Brain Drain, tourism reductions, and progressive businesses/organizations pulling events and job opportunities.

Is it worth it just to be hateful assholes? We will find out.

SpecX

They've been pretty much on the same side in regards to Trumps actions that effect NY. Also if you do want to live in NYC, the outer boroughs are generally more affordable.

Seriously, if we let the states decide I can clearly see how this will go. All religious southern states will ban transgenders from using the bathroom of their choice and the others will allow it. It's like saying the federal govt doesn't need to get involve with segregation laws and it's a state issue. Such fucking bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom