• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Trump to revoke transgender bathroom guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clefargle

Stuff like this just feels spiteful for no reason. These protections hurt nobody. All they do is create a more welcoming environment for people who often don't feel welcomed.

Exactly, taking rights from people doesn't take away any of their rights. But they act like these people having rights somehow takes theirs away. Insane

Nishastra

Banned
Exactly, taking rights from people doesn't take away any of their rights. But they act like these people having rights somehow takes theirs away. Insane
It's because they believe in the "right to discriminate". So, anyone other than themselves being protected in any way takes away that "right".

MrBadger

Hopefully the states do the right thing, but unfortunately I know many won't.

DeVos's stance on this was a surprise. Won't mean anything in the long run as long as Trump, Bannon, and Sessions are there though. From the WaPo:

So she was morally against this, but sucked up to Trump so she could keep the job she's vastly unqualified for. Fuck her.

le.phat

Stuff like this just feels spiteful for no reason. These protections hurt nobody. All they do is create a more welcoming environment for people who often don't feel welcomed.

It's not without reason; Trump needs positive reaffirmation from his followers, and this is an easy way to do that. The man is not in office to improve the QoL of US citizens but to stroke his ego.

Damn, Trump has undone almost all Obama Administration EO's right?

That seems to be whats going on, and its honestly just because they disliked him as a democrat, theres nothing racist about it at all*

*yet Tump supporters refer to Obama as Hussain, being a muslim, directly funding terrosim, a traitor, make fun of Michelles Appearance (likened to an ape/man etc) - nope not racist at all

Surely its illegal to run a platform of undoing everything a black man did because they inherently dislike all black men?

On the main topic, I do not understand the obsession with designated or undesignated bathrooms. In the UK there are many places that have a unisex hand wash area and a toilet are for men/women off of it, effectively making it the same bathroom, this is very common in night clubs, Service stations and cinemas also do this.
Unisex bathrooms themselves aren't too uncommon either. In my home city they even trialed outdoor urinals in the nightclub district of the city, although some prudes campaigned against them and had them removed - now we are back to people urinating in the street when drunk
It doesn't seem to be a big issue for people either when you talk to them, you go in a toilet to do your business, not to look at people and mentally assign a gender, you are in a cubicle or if a man at a urinal, people don't go around molesting each other, so why in America (the land of the free) people think this will happen I just do not get.
The rape argument boggles the mind, surely someone predisposed to rape would rape regardless of a magic sign on the door saying its for X gender only?

That seems to be whats going on, and its honestly just because they disliked him as a democrat, theres nothing racist about it at all*

*yet Tump supporters refer to Obama as Hussain, being a muslim, directly funding terrosim, a traitor, make fun of Michelles Appearance (likened to an ape/man etc) - nope not racist at all

Surely its illegal to run a platform of undoing everything a black man did because they inherently dislike all black men?

I hate myself for this:
But it's not just Trump. Sure he is doing the EOs which get all the attention, but behind the scenes the republicans in Congress have spent the last month utilizing a rule they added to the Congressional Review Act allowing them to overturn basically Obama's last year of work via resolutions. It's the Republicans as a whole who are racist, ignorant pieces of shit.

I hate myself for this:
But it's not just Trump. Sure he is doing the EOs which get all the attention, but behind the scenes the republicans in Congress have spent the last month utilizing a rule they added to the Congressional Review Act allowing them to overturn basically Obama's last year of work via resolutions. It's the Republicans as a whole who are racist, ignorant pieces of shit.

I don't know about describing them as ignorant. That's too kind.

They know damn well what they're doing and who they're hurting.

tbm24

I don't know about describing them as ignorant. That's too kind.

They know damn well what they're doing and who they're hurting.
They not be ignorant, but it's clear they are incompetent. The black boogeyman is out of the whitehouse and they have all the power, what have they spent their time on? Still going after the ghost of the black boogeyman they hated so much. Eventually that's gonna run out, likely whenever they really do get rid of the ACA with no replacement.

They not be ignorant, but it's clear they are incompetent. The black boogeyman is out of the whitehouse and they have all the power, what have they spent their time on? Still going after the ghost of the black boogeyman they hated so much. Eventually that's gonna run out, likely whenever they really do get rid of the ACA with no replacement.

True. I'm very curious, and a little bit terrified to see what they do once they get past they "how can we undo everything good Obama did?" phase.

stupei

Georgia's secession notice opens with slavery as why they're going to war:

Mississippi opens with slavery as well, and even adds in that "only black people can work in the sun"

South Carolina opens with slavery

Texas takes a bit to get there, but not only states slavery, but that black service to whites should exist for all eternity

So uh yeah

the Civil War?

Kind of specifically over slavery and the corrupt view that whites are supreme

I don't want to derail overly but I do want to clarify, as a few others have said, I feel like you misunderstood or didn't completely read my post, but if what I wrote was so easily misinterpreted that's genuinely messed up on my part, so I'm sincerely sorry. "That isn't even what they were doing" intended to refer to the idea of states rights, not slavery. Of course the Civil War was about slavery, but there are certainly ignorant people who try to argue otherwise and, again, if it seemed like that was what I was doing I apologize.

What I was trying to explicitly say is that the way that conservatives and southern Americans in particular have attempted to rewrite history to position themselves as being pro states rights is entirely the opposite of the reality. They would have you believe now that their position on slavery was some nuanced idea about allowing each state to govern as they chose but the reality is that they wanted a federal government that would force all other states within its union to be pro slavery, just as they were. Some even talk about their complaints with northern states governing freely in the very articles you quoted, which is why those articles don't often appear in most modern American high school history textbooks. Acknowledging that the idea of states rights is an utter fabrication would extend to then acknowledging the foundational white supremacy in American history. You can't sell a textbook in Mississippi doing that.

Social conservatism in America has always tried to hide behind the mask of some greater moral conduct, the idea that their approach in denying human beings freedom is actually more free in some abstract way because they are in favor of "states rights" and individual governance. That has never, ever been the case. They have always despised a state's right to govern progressively and even, when it comes to the issues of slavery and trans rights, to govern with the only possible moral action. It has always been about allowing a more authoritarian, but conservative and even regressive, federal rule.

ChryZ

920x1240.jpg

cackhyena

Anyone post the interview Trump did with Lauer last year where he said people should be able to go to the bathroom where they want? I remembered that being one of the only sobering, decent things he said throughout the campaign. Now lookit where we are. Thanks, Sessions.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Whoever wrote that opinion piece saying that Trump could be one of the best presidents for LGBTQ people can get stuffed.

Why would anybody ever say that?

America has had this obsession for a loooong time...

whites-only.jpg

Very good point. This is nothing new. They even had "reasons" why black and white people shouldn't go in the same bathrooms. They said it wasn't safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom