• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official US/JP PLAYSTATION 3 Launch Thread

Bebpo

Banned
kaching said:
That's been available since day 1 in the US. It just hasn't shown up on the main page of the store, because those spots have been occupied by ads. But when you open a sub-page, Top 10 and What's New display. Is the What's new displaying on the main page now?

I know.

And yes, it's on the main page now :)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
llTll said:
i have nokia bluetooth and its really working well.. there are many models. just pick the one it fit your ear in comfy way [ assuming you will play for 1 hour or 2, you need something comfy ]

i also want to try and get one that'll work with my phone...might as well.

Kittonwy

Banned
RuGalz said:
So I logged on to my Taiwan PS Store today and saw a promotional video of PS*Girl. I guess it's Sony's marketing thing over there. You can sign up to get a message from them daily. I'd say better than velocity girl! :lol

http://www.psgirls.com.tw/index.asp

PJ seems cute but they all seem to be pretty high-maintenance, plus I think having one gf is enough for me, I can't handle anymore.
Indifferent2.gif

Chrono

Banned
Well I just ordered a 60GB PS3 and Ridge Racer 7. Like seconds ago. Or maybe a minute... or two. Amazon rocks. Yay for me.

Christopher

Questions guys:

1.) What on earth does "Remote Play" do? Is the function worth it in your opinon?

2.) Does anyone wanna share PSN games? Say if I download Q*Bert - and you flOw and we share instead of both paying? Even then I'd be willing to give out another 4 copies of flOw to someone.

Kittonwy

Banned
Christopher said:
Questions guys:

1.) What on earth does "Remote Play" do? Is the function worth it in your opinon?

2.) Does anyone wanna share PSN games? Say if I download Q*Bert - and you flOw and we share instead of both paying? Even then I'd be willing to give out another 4 copies of flOw to someone.

1) Remote play lets you use the PSP screen for display in the xmb menu.

Wollan

I have the PAL PS3 launch thread ready to go right now. Any objections about posting it? (This thread was posted a month ahead of launch and the PAL launch is now less than four weeks away)

I will of course keep updating it (especially after GDC).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Christopher said:

What in the world are you talking about

Has anyone seen a 20 GB model in stores recently? All I'm finding in the Seattle area are 60 GB models, I might have to step up and drop $600 instead of $500....

Mrbob

So I tried to play Okami earlier on my PS3 and got some nasty sound crackling out of my home theater speakers. Anyone else have this problem?

I haven't had a problem with any of my other PS2 games. It sucks because the game is pretty much unplayable with the extra noise.

Sagitario

Mrbob said:
So I tried to play Okami earlier on my PS3 and got some nasty sound crackling out of my home theater speakers. Anyone else have this problem?

I haven't had a problem with any of my other PS2 games. It sucks because the game is pretty much unplayable with the extra noise.

Apparently, the "nasty sound" is because of the PS3 faster disc drive...

JB1981

Mrbob said:

I got it when i first put the game in but it stopped right after that. Haven't had any problems with the game since.

Anyone played Mercs? That game has some problems. A lot of audio cutouts, skipped frames etc.

dose

Is is possible to log in to the Japanese PS store on a US machine, and vice versa? If so, can you download free stuff from the non-native store (or indeed non-free stuff)?
Sorry, don't fancy reading thru 95 pages :D

llTll

Banned
distantmantra said:
Has anyone seen a 20 GB model in stores recently? All I'm finding in the Seattle area are 60 GB models, I might have to step up and drop $600 instead of $500....

i have never seen 20Gig US PS3 since the day it came out.

i have 60Gig PS3

its either they are always " sold out" or Sony is focusing more on the 60gig

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
don't go 20gb unless you plan to replace the hd -- it'll have slower load times on anything that installs to the hd. tard pack after all.

Zoe

dose said:
Is is possible to log in to the Japanese PS store on a US machine, and vice versa? If so, can you download free stuff from the non-native store (or indeed non-free stuff)?
Sorry, don't fancy reading thru 95 pages :D

Yup, I've been doing that since day one. I just wish I could get the Mainichi Issho cosplay packs :(

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Um, guess I'm quite late to the party, but I ended up buying one slightly before I thought I would in March. Traded some other gaming items toward a 60gb. So I'm having my own launch party in the midst of moving which means I'll have to take a few day break from messing with it.

Very impressive looking unit! From the case to the UI, you have to admit that the system screams quality. It's very sleek and so quiet. The content may not seem up to the price for some yet, but it's the first gaming console I've owned that seems like a very expensive piece of electronic equipment in more than price tag. I think it's the most impressive looking console in person.

I love the XMB. Clean and easy to use, it transfers well from the PSP to the PS. The keyboard stinks, but the ease of use for usb items makes that not much of an issue. Many interesting and cool options like making backups, adding an OS, etc. I look forward to future updates that add ease of use.

The system is big. And heavy. And blows out a lot of heat. But it runs silent! And has a fantastic startup sound! I like the Sixaxis! Not perfect for shooting games and the triggers are a little wack, but it's a nice controller.

Picked up Resistance with it, of course. Fun game so far. Haven't had time to join the "wedge" yet :) Fantastic for a launch title this far in. Of course the bc is great, I love the virtual memory cards. Looking forward to picking up VF, Motorstorm and MLB:TS in the near future.

Content in the PSX store is quite good. Some really worthwhile games already in there. Gripshift has made an awesome transition to PS! Glad that there's more than a few decent demos here, I hope that trend grows.

So only a couple days in, I have the glow that makes everything great, but I'm very pleased. It's an incredible system. It's too damn expensive to take off I think, but the more people that actually experience it rather than just see all the bad news are really going to like it.

Forsete

Gold Member
Quick question. PS3 automatically searches for the cover art for music, correct? What if it does not find any? Is it possible to add the cover art manually via PC software, and would PS3 recognize this?

Recommend me some nice "cover adding" software for Winblows please. :D

Could someone tell me if this is normal or not please?

I have the 60GB unit and wanted to transfer some videos to it (.mpg format) so I put them on a 128MB USB memory stick. The PS3 wouldn’t recognize them, said there weren’t any titles on the stick. It DID recognize the memory stick though and I CAN download to the stick just fine from the PS3, but what is already on there can’t be seen.

I also assumed I could hook my digital camera up to the PS3 via the USB cable and transfer pictures that way, but no dice. It’s recognized as an external memory device in other Operating Systems so I thought the same would be here. Unfortunately I have a Fuji camera that uses those XD memory cards, the one card not supported by the PS3 memory card reader.

Varshes

I thought the movie files had to be in mp4 format. I've been converting some HD trailers to mp4 and putting them on my PS3, it's been working so far. AVS is a factor too.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Musashi Wins! said:
Um, guess I'm quite late to the party, but I ended up buying one slightly before I thought I would in March. Traded some other gaming items toward a 60gb. So I'm having my own launch party in the midst of moving which means I'll have to take a few day break from messing with it.

Very impressive looking unit! From the case to the UI, you have to admit that the system screams quality. It's very sleek and so quiet. The content may not seem up to the price for some yet, but it's the first gaming console I've owned that seems like a very expensive piece of electronic equipment in more than price tag. I think it's the most impressive looking console in person.

I love the XMB. Clean and easy to use, it transfers well from the PSP to the PS. The keyboard stinks, but the ease of use for usb items makes that not much of an issue. Many interesting and cool options like making backups, adding an OS, etc. I look forward to future updates that add ease of use.

The system is big. And heavy. And blows out a lot of heat. But it runs silent! And has a fantastic startup sound! I like the Sixaxis! Not perfect for shooting games and the triggers are a little wack, but it's a nice controller.

Picked up Resistance with it, of course. Fun game so far. Haven't had time to join the "wedge" yet :) Fantastic for a launch title this far in. Of course the bc is great, I love the virtual memory cards. Looking forward to picking up VF, Motorstorm and MLB:TS in the near future.

Content in the PSX store is quite good. Some really worthwhile games already in there. Gripshift has made an awesome transition to PS! Glad that there's more than a few decent demos here, I hope that trend grows.

So only a couple days in, I have the glow that makes everything great, but I'm very pleased. It's an incredible system. It's too damn expensive to take off I think, but the more people that actually experience it rather than just see all the bad news are really going to like it.

Pretty much sums up a lot of what I experienced. Send me a friends request. PSN: Denogginizer. If you want to play Resistance with us, pm Kaching to get in the clan. Welcome aboard!

Varshes said:
I thought the movie files had to be in mp4 format. I've been converting some HD trailers to mp4 and putting them on my PS3, it's been working so far. AVS is a factor too.
I kinda thought that too but I’ve downloaded vids off of the net with the PS3 with just a .mpg extension (not .mp4) and they play fine.

JB1981

I just want to state how much I'm loving blu-ray (lolz i'm drinking the sony kool-aid, etc.) But I just watched The Departed (ace VC-1 transfer) and tonight I'm going to watch Babel. The movies looks so good. I never want to go back to DVD. Long live HD formats.

JB1981 said:
I just want to state how much I'm loving blu-ray (lolz i'm drinking the sony kool-aid, etc.) But I just watched The Departed (ace VC-1 transfer) and tonight I'm going to watch Babel. The movies looks so good. I never want to go back to DVD. Long live HD formats.
u mean long live bluray:D

B-Ri

Forsete said:
Quick question. PS3 automatically searches for the cover art for music, correct? What if it does not find any? Is it possible to add the cover art manually via PC software, and would PS3 recognize this?

Recommend me some nice "cover adding" software for Winblows please. :D

you can add your own, you just triangle the album andselect the cover from your pictures section of your ps3 hdd (it wont find them in an external memory stick or thumb drive,they need to beo n the ps3 hdd)

DenogginizerOS

JB1981 said:

Have you had any freezing issues? I did and I am not sure what was causing it. I watched The Departed and I had a bunch of freezes. I read on AVS that disabling the internet will fix this. I also cleaned the disc of a few fingerprints. Seems to have fixed it, but freezing during playback still seems to be occurring with some PS3's.

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
Have you had any freezing issues? I did and I am not sure what was causing it. I watched The Departed and I had a bunch of freezes. I read on AVS that disabling the internet will fix this. I also cleaned the disc of a few fingerprints. Seems to have fixed it, but freezing during playback still seems to be occurring with some PS3's.

No freezes to report with blu-ray movies or dvds. I have run into dirty-disk type errors with the machine, though. The system refused to read Resistance but after wiping off the disc everything worked fine. I think the laser is extremely sensitive.

Bebpo

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:

Watched Rambo First Blood, The Departed, Babel, and The Prestige all fine last week on Blu-ray with no freezing. Was connected to the internet the whole time as well.

DenogginizerOS

Bebpo said:
Watched Rambo First Blood, The Departed, Babel, and The Prestige all fine last week on Blu-ray with no freezing. Was connected to the internet the whole time as well.

Wireless or wired?

garrickk

DenogginizerOS said:
I have freezing issues when playing DVD's that aren't pristine or are slightly scratched. The system just locks and won't bypass the problem scene. Sometimes, if I restart, I can fast-forward past the problem area. Also, this has been most prevalent on DVD+R and DVD+RW discs.

I had a copy of a film on my PC that must have been dumped with an error in the reading. Even playing it on my PC off my HDD, there was some noise in the MPEG2 video stream on playback. Putting the movie on a +RW or +R disc would cause the PS3 to lock up at this error point. Of course, my PC and other DVD player would plow right through.

I 've never had an issue with a Blu-ray disc. I think the DVD software player is just very picky and gets locked with any corrupted data, while most players just patch up whatever they can in the frame and keep on trucking; I think the PS3 player has poor error handling. I'm hoping the DVD player improvements that people are wishing for in March address this as well. Still, I'm not hopeful of a fix, but this is the only issue I've had with the PS3 to date.

bigswords

DenogginizerOS said:

Yup that's what I read from the AVS forums as well, so does the disabling internet fix the blueray playback? As for me dvd playback is ok so far (it even reads dvds that even my sony player does not read hehe).

DenogginizerOS

bigswords said:
Yup that's what I read from the AVS forums as well, so does the disabling internet fix the blueray playback? As for me dvd playback is ok so far (it even reads dvds that even my sony player does not read hehe).

None of the DVD's I played froze. Only the Blurays. However, I do think the fingerprints may have had more to do with it than anything.

bigswords

DenogginizerOS said:
None of the DVD's I played froze. Only the Blurays. However, I do think the fingerprints may have had more to do with it than anything.

Hmmm well I'm on a wired internet connection and using component cables (using 720P). no issues for me.

Varshes

So far the only Blu-ray issue I had, was Crank's initial menu not loading. I mean the screen was there, but the "Play Movie", "Scene Selection", etc. menus weren't showing. I had to restart the movie to get them to show.

Zoe

blindrocket said:
Could someone tell me if this is normal or not please?

I have the 60GB unit and wanted to transfer some videos to it (.mpg format) so I put them on a 128MB USB memory stick. The PS3 wouldn’t recognize them, said there weren’t any titles on the stick. It DID recognize the memory stick though and I CAN download to the stick just fine from the PS3, but what is already on there can’t be seen.

I also assumed I could hook my digital camera up to the PS3 via the USB cable and transfer pictures that way, but no dice. It’s recognized as an external memory device in other Operating Systems so I thought the same would be here. Unfortunately I have a Fuji camera that uses those XD memory cards, the one card not supported by the PS3 memory card reader.

Did you put the files in the VIDEO and PICTURE directories?

B-Ri said:
you can add your own, you just triangle the album andselect the cover from your pictures section of your ps3 hdd (it wont find them in an external memory stick or thumb drive,they need to beo n the ps3 hdd)
For the life of me I can't do this... perhaps I should RTFM. Durp. But seriously, I triangle the album and I swear I don't see anything for adding album art.

I got both of my issues worked out.
The reason I couldn’t change the album cover was because I had them sorted by artist. They must be sorted by album to change the cover.

And I got it to read my memory stick too. When I simply select the stick, it didn’t show any title that I already had on there, but it would show titles that I downloaded directly to it via the PS3. However if I triangled the memory stick and selected “show all” or whatever it is, then I could see every folder on the stick and the supported files.

Sweet! Now I just have to try a Blu-ray movie to give the final “test” and give the thumbs up that I have a rock solid system with everything working.

And here are my initial impressions I posted on another forum, I’ll do a copy/paste.

And it has really wowed me as far as hardware and design goes. I don’t have many complaints and from what I have read a lot of those will be addressed with the next firmware update (such as multitasking). This console looks so good lying on my desk; I really love the design of it. When the fans are going full blast, it’s not silent, but it is fairly low noise and I don’t notice it at all while playing games, watching movies, or listening to music. Even the little things are really pleasing to me, like the eject and power buttons, they aren’t really buttons at all but more like “sensors”. Very Star Trek like! Also, just having two wires coming from the thing is really, really nice to me. It has a simple power cord (no “brick” either) and one simple HDMI cable going to my HDTV. That’s it! The Wi-Fi works great and I think the slot drive is nice (no tray).
I haven’t watched a Blu-ray title yet (I plan to soon) but I have watched some DVDs and the movie playback software is really easy to use via the controller. I dig it!
All of the PS2 games I’ve put into it work fine, some really good working BC, however most titles look pretty horrible on my LCD HDTV. They simply weren’t meant to be played at that high of a resolution. If I took the time to hook the PS3 up to a CRT I’m sure they’d look as good as they did on my PStwo though.
My entire forum posting this weekend was done via the built-in internet browser, which works surprisingly well. I like its features and speed and only noticed a couple websites that didn’t load well with it. For example, my wife likes msn.com so she had me go there for her and that loaded like total crap. But for most everything else I use; google, wikipedia, youtube, forums, etc. it worked like a dream. I had some fun going to youtube, loading up some Aqua Teen Hunger Force episodes, sitting back and enjoying them straight off of my HDTV.
As for games, I have just been playing the awesome demos from the Playstation Store for now as I wait for Oblivion. The Motorstorm demo is a real blast and the Resistance demo looks graphically sweet and surprised me at how fun it is. At first I thought that the graphics were amazing but the gameplay kind sucked (in Resistance) but really it was just me getting used to playing a FPS with a controller again (I’m more of a mouse/keyboard guy) but after awhile I was fraggin’ just as well with the SIXAXIS. Very cool. I’ve also been playing the Gran Turismo HD game you can download from the Playstation Store. WOW now those are some nice car models. It really makes me want the true next-gen Gran Turismo. I will need the Logitech racing wheel for that bad boy though.

teiresias

I wish you could make playlists for the PS3. For instance, say I have 20 albums on the PS3 and I want a "mellow mix" or some such nonsense. Well, if I have numerous tracks across those 20 albums I want to mix and match for this mix there's no way to do it and have them play it since it only plays whatever is in the "folder" dependent on how you have things sorted. Sort by album, it plays through individual albums, sort by artist it plays individual artist "folders." I can't find any way to associate otherwise disperate tracks together into playlists of any kind.

It should be easy enough to fix in a firmware update. Hopefully they realize it and make those changes. Though personally I usually listen to one artist and one album at a time anyway, it would be nice to listen to “80’s music” for example, or even just put it on “random”.

Z_Y

DarkJediKnight said:
That's still no excuse. For guys like me with 720p projectors, I want 720p Blu-ray support. I don't want my projector to downscale to 720p as it doesn't do a good job of scaling. There just is no logical reason behind this BS. 720p for Blu-ray was working fine until the numbnuts disabled it a day after the system was out.

Message to Sony: I DO NOT WANT TO WATCH BLU-RAY ON MY 720P PROJECTOR IN 1080i!!!!!!RECTIFY THIS ASAP!!!

So...uhhh...what is the latest word on this mess? I bought my first BR disc yesterday (other than Ricky Bobby) and I have to admit it looks like ass compared to my 360 HD-DVD player displaying at 720p. And it is also a pain to have to change my resolution settings back and forth when I decide to play a game or watch a movie.

I'm in no mood to go out and buy a 1080p TV right now. Somebody please tell me that this is going to be fixed soon. Please?

Obviously I haven’t read too much into this but are you saying that even though I have a 720p HDTV running HDCP with HDMI Blu-ray will only play in 1080i?

teiresias

blindrocket said:
Obviously I haven’t read too much into this but are you saying that even though I have a 720p HDTV running HDCP with HDMI Blu-ray will only play in 1080i?

Right now the PS3 only supports 1080i as the HD output for Blu-Ray, otherwise if you don't have the PS3 set to output 1080i as a supported resolution is defaults to outputting 480p i believe.

So to properly play Blu-Ray you have to have 1080i set as a resolution and let your display scale it down to 720p. The scaler in my projector is fine though, so I don't really mind at all, I can't even tell the difference in the XMB between 720p and 1080i, so I just leave 1080i enabled all the time.

I see, thanks for the explanation. I haven’t tried a BD title yet but had planned on getting some soon and reading what had been said kind of worried me about how it would look. For me on my 26” Sharp Aquos a setting of 1080i does look sharper in the XMB (though it’s too much resolution for the internet browser).

Top Bottom