• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official US/JP PLAYSTATION 3 Launch Thread

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Christopher said:
what exactly is ment by "upscaling"
Stretching the image to a higher resolution - a function that every Fixed pixel TV performs regardless, but the general assumption is that TV manufacturers are cheapskate assholes that use crap chipsets to do the said job.

klee123

Ok, got a question guys. I have never connected a console to the internet myself, so this may be a stupid question.

I have recently bought a PS3 and I wish to connect it to the internet, however, I only use an ADSL modem which is connected to my PC via USB(there are no ethernet ports on the modem). My PC however, does have an ethernet port, so I was wondering if it is possible for my PS3 to get access if I connect it to the PC.

Question about PAL PS3:

1. PAL PS3 can play NTSC US and JAP games, BUT if let say I buy a US or JAP game and it has ONLINE multiplayer can I connect it to the internet server and play it online?

Danj

klee123 said:
I have recently bought a PS3 and I wish to connect it to the internet, however, I only use an ADSL modem which is connected to my PC via USB(there are no ethernet ports on the modem). My PC however, does have an ethernet port, so I was wondering if it is possible for my PS3 to get access if I connect it to the PC.

Yes, but you'll need a crossover cable (the standard cable that comes with the PS3 won't be any good) and you'd also need to enable Internet Connection Sharing on your PC. This is not the "proper" way to do it though, what you should really do is replace your ADSL modem with an ADSL router, then you can just plug the PS3 and the PC into the router.

Danj

robertsan21 said:
PAL PS3 can play NTSC US and JAP games, BUT if let say I buy a US or JAP game and it has ONLINE multiplayer can I connect it to the internet server and play it online?

We simply don't know. There are some people saying the online is region locked, so that if there are no European servers for a game then you won't be able to play it online on a PAL console. However there is no way to verify this until the PAL consoles are actually out.

Bebpo

Banned
New costumes for Genji up on the Japanese store.

I think the US only got set 1/2 so far, there are 4 sets of 4 clothings to download on the JPN PSN as of now.

Why they're even bothering to keep adding to a game that no one really wants to play...who knows! Maybe one day I'll actually bother to try finishing the game.

TheFallen

Tried searching for this all over GAF, couldn't find an answer and this thread has grown wayyy too long. I was trying to play God of War on the PS3 earlier and noticed that even with Progressive and Widescreen selected the game had tons of jaggies; more-so than on my PS2. HDTV in use btw. I thought they fixed the BC issue?

jiggle

Bebpo said:
New costumes for Genji up on the Japanese store.

I think the US only got set 1/2 so far, there are 4 sets of 4 clothings to download on the JPN PSN as of now.

Why they're even bothering to keep adding to a game that no one really wants to play...who knows! Maybe one day I'll actually bother to try finishing the game.

I wonder if they work on the US version
I downloaded both of the previous packs, but i never play the game so I never got to test it out D:

Bebpo

Banned
Christopher said:
Bebpo what is the Sonic PSN jp store update do? I know the NA servers haven't gotten it yet.

They're extra missions that are "very hard". I don't have the game so I dunno what they actually are in practice.

jiggle said:
I wonder if they work on the US version
I downloaded both of the previous packs, but i never play the game so I never got to test it out D:

They do. Same with RR7. Any game that's 1 disc/1 sku should share downloadable content.

senahorse

I asked this in the Motorstorm thread, but apart from a Junior Member I didn't get a response. Has anyone confirmed if motorstorm US on a Jap console lets you play online on the US/Aus servers?

Bebpo

Banned
Genji 2 has to be the worst ****ing game I've ever played.

Since the new costumes came out I thought I'd give it another shot and finish up the game. Played through to the boat platforming stages over the golden sea.

At first I was pretty impressed because visually these boat stages are pretty freaking amazing framerate-aside. So despite the game playing like shit I thought I'd keep playing to see the visuals.

So I spend an hour or maybe more getting through the 2nd stage of the boat stages only to find out there's no save at the beginning of stage 3 and the save point is like 50% through the level. So on my way there fighting carefully so I don't die...I died. Now I have to jump back an ENTIRE ****ING STAGE and redo an hours worth of terrible platforming and shitty fighting.

Whoever thought up not starting at the latest level when you die needs to be forced to play this game 1,000 times over.

I hate this game.

Bebpo

Banned
genjisucks003.jpg
So uh...I did it all over because the graphics were just so OMG THIS IS PIXAR ON MY TV and I got to the big mothership and checked a faq to see if this was the last level, but NO IT KEEPS GOING ON AND ON (ughhhh). Guess I'll shelve it again and maybe do some more in another 3 months. :\

If you're going to make a crappy awful game, don't make it 20 hours long. Make it 6 hours and call it a day.

Jim

Bebpo said:
So uh...I did it all over because the graphics were just so OMG THIS IS PIXAR ON MY TV and I got to the big mothership and checked a faq to see if this was the last level, but NO IT KEEPS GOING ON AND ON (ughhhh).

Hah.. my thoughts exactly. There were several times I thought to myself "Thank God, it looks like I'm reaching the end", followed by a "****! another stage?! Ugghh".
I still slogged through it without shelving it though, just because I'm anal like that.
Stupid next-gen graphics.

RuGalz

x3n05 said:
I asked this in the Motorstorm thread, but apart from a Junior Member I didn't get a response. Has anyone confirmed if motorstorm US on a Jap console lets you play online on the US/Aus servers?
You can select Australia server in the US version of the game. I have the US system.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Now that I finally have one to keep (don't ask), one dumb question. Can PS Store downloads be resumed? Wireless is so F'n slow...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've actually come to the conclusion that using HDMI with my PS3 at 720p on a Vizio 37" LCD produces too sharp an image. I notice way too much artifacting. For instance, I can see every pixel on fonts, making them look blocky. Same with poly edges... if a game doesn't do antialiasing (like in the Hot Shots demo), all the lines are very jaggy. I have noticed, however, that textures are a lot sharper through HDMI. I chalk it up to the TV displaying exactly what the framebuffer is putting out.

Using component at 720p slightly "blurs" these problem areas, making the shapes look a lot softer and more natural. I think the very slight loss in visual fidelity is more than made up for by producing a much less jaggy image.

Does anyone else notice this?

Zoe

Everybody who has Mainichi Issho needs to start doing the Brain Battle game! I keep getting paired up with the same people who kick my ass :(

Zoe

I just realized that Mainichi Issho seems to be using the OS to set up the Quick Matches. Am I totally wrong in this? Do any other online games do this? I don't remember Gripshift doing that...

Ravidrath

Hey, everyone...

Picked up a PS3 and I'm trying to play some PS2 games on it, but they keep locking up. While I've only tried two so far and they're both from the same publisher, it's a little unexpected, so I'm wondering if I've got a bum system or what.

Anyone tried playing Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne or Devil Summoner on their PS3? Both games lock up for me after I've been playing for a little while... like ten minutes at most.

Ravidrath

Played around with this a bit more, and it played fine for a while... but then conked out.

The PS3 doesn't crash, though, it's just the PS2 emulator - I can hold the PS button and quit out to the XMB and return to the PS2 game without a problem. Not really sure what's up, but it seems like I should probably return it for another - I'll test out GoW2 once I get that and use that to decide.

Anyone else have any problems with crashes on the PS3's BC?

xaosslug

Bebpo said:
genjisucks003.jpg
So uh...I did it all over because the graphics were just so OMG THIS IS PIXAR ON MY TV and I got to the big mothership and checked a faq to see if this was the last level, but NO IT KEEPS GOING ON AND ON (ughhhh). Guess I'll shelve it again and maybe do some more in another 3 months. :\

If you're going to make a crappy awful game, don't make it 20 hours long. Make it 6 hours and call it a day.

Game Republic seriously need to get their shit together on the gameplay mechanics front. Damn. They ARE graphic Gods though.

Chrono

Banned
Finally signed up to the PSN! My lame username: Exile00.

Question: after I set up my account there was a small survey, I went through all of it but had to cancel at the end because it was taking forever to complete... is there anyway I can take it again? I have this OCD desire to get this over with since I didn't finish it the first time... >_>

sammyjojo

Yea! finally got a PS3 :) Had a CompUSA closing near me that had it for 10% off, so I got the 60GB for $540 + tax. I wasn't really planning on getting one so soon, but I probably wouldn't ever be able to get it at that price, unless there was price drop. If you have a CompUSA near you it should be closing, so you should check it out if you're in the market for a PS3.

The only game I got with the system was Resistance and it seems pretty good so far, although the levels seem a bit linear.

Overall, the system seems real nice. I still think it's a little expensive, but hey as long as I enjoy using it that's all that really matters. Probably won't be getting any other games for it for a little while since I broke the bank on the system :)

lupin23rd

Is there any different between the US and Japanese (and European) game boxes?

ie. If I have a US game and a Japanese game beside each other on my shelf, spine out, will they look different (other than the language used for the title)?

gogogow

Sorry to bump this old thread, but does anyone know whether the PS3 can read dual layer dvd+r's?

I imported this movie from the US, which has region code 1 and I want to remove it with dvd-decrypter and burn it on a DL DVD+R.
But will it work on the PS3 (want to watch it upscaled on the PS3)?

I have a PAL PS3 btw.

tha_con

Banned
gogogow said:
Sorry to bump this old thread, but does anyone know whether the PS3 can read dual layer dvd+r's?

I imported this movie from the US, which has region code 1 and I want to remove it with dvd-decrypter and burn it on a DL DVD+R.
But will it work on the PS3 (want to watch it upscaled on the PS3)?

I have a PAL PS3 btw.

Well, I know that DL DVD+R works, but I don't know how well it'll work after you hack a burned movie, burn a hacked movie, recycle it, stamp it twice, spit on it, and then burn it again.

But give it a shot!!

Top Bottom