• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd Box Office 12•25-27•09 - holi shits @ Alvin & the Chipmunks. I can't. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

legend166 said:
Just a couple of thoughts:

Orlando Bloom is busy banging Miranda Kerr. I don't think he gives a damn he's not making movies.

Avatar isn't going to do anything for Zoe Saldana's career because 90% of the audience probably has no clue she was even in the movie.

Well, it's already done business for both Saldana and Worthington.

Saldana got Star Trek because Cameron casted her in Avatar, same for Worthington and TS (lol).

They are only going up, and you can bet Saldana gets a shit ton more to do in ST2 after how great she was in Avatar.

xrich

Banned
Yea Worthington is really rising up IMO, and I couldn't be happier. He has this "nice guy" attitude and look. Hopefully Clash of the Titans is good

gdt5016 said:
There's some updated WW numbers floating around.

Edit: Regal charges $3 a ticket? At night?

Not usually, but a brand new 21 theater Showcase Cinema opened 2 blocks away, and the regal is around 20 years old, so now it's $3 all the time. They play slightly older movies, but they do honor the regal card, so I got a free soda with my $3 ticket. Since when is 18oz a small soda btw?

Theres nothing like paying for 3 people to watch a movie for less than the price of a ticket at the showcase (which is $9.75)

I might even be able to justify watching Avatar for the ridiculous $15 charged at the Imax. $15 + $3 = $18/2 = $9 per movie!

Solo

legend166 said:
Avatar isn't going to do anything for Zoe Saldana's career because 90% of the audience probably has no clue she was even in the movie.

And yet you barely see an Avatar review (critic or fan) that doesnt specifically praise her performance. Avatar is going to do a shitton for her career, which was already heading south.

madara

Why the hell are all the theaters by me ditching all showings during the day? If I want to see it on Monday its 4 something and 7 something. Really stupid just because kids are going back to school.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
= Worldwide: $726,612,776

This figure is ridiculous for just two weeks. Absolutely ridiculous. :lol

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Timbuktu said:
It's not even out in China yet, is it? It will easily break 2012's record.
China release is January 4, 2010

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Dabookerman said:
Oh my god.

Right I'm calling it. 5 billion worldwide.

So you are saying it is going to out gross or match Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera? This is starting to get a little too retarded.

Solo said:
And yet you barely see an Avatar review (critic or fan) that doesnt specifically praise her performance. Avatar is going to do a shitton for her career, which was already heading south.

Already heading south? Her career was "Uhura in Star Trek" this year, with Avatar coming out. How is that heading south? You reckon everyone else in Star Trek are going to be on the streets soon as well? It was a big hit, not avatar level by any means but big enough to keep people aware of them, and many of the people in it were specifically praised as being great as well (Actors for kirk, bones, spock and Zoe herself)

rhino4evr

Finally gonna see Avatar this weekend...going to a Saturday Imax show...if anyone is questioning it's Box Office power this weekend please see theater schedule below....

12/30/2009- Wednesday

Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia 3D
10:00 AM
12:10 PM

Under the Sea 3D
11:05 AM

1:15 PM (SOLD OUT)
4:25 PM (SOLD OUT)
7:35 PM (SOLD OUT)
10:45 PM (SOLD OUT)

12/31/2009- Thursday

Under the Sea 3D

10:45 PM

1/1/2010- Friday

Under the Sea 3D

1/2/2010- Saturday

Under the Sea 3D

3:15 PM

12:10 PM (SOLD OUT)

1/3/2010- Sunday

12:00 PM(SOLD OUT)
4:15 PM (SOLD OUT)
7:25 PM (SOLD OUT)
10:35 PM

gdt

teacupcopter said:
Already heading south? Her career was "Uhura in Star Trek" this year, with Avatar coming out. How is that heading south? You reckon everyone else in Star Trek are going to be on the streets soon as well? It was a big hit, not avatar level by any means but big enough to keep people aware of them, and many of the people in it were specifically praised as being great as well (Actors for kirk, bones, spock and Zoe herself)

She was casted in/shot Avatar long before ST came out (same for Worthington). She got ST because Cameron casted her in Avatar.

And yes, her career was going down before she got casted in Avatar.

Meaning Avatar/Cameron was her career resurgence, and lead to her getting the part on ST.

gdt

WrikaWrek said:
Chris Pine sounds like the biggest winner of the year though. He's the next Jack Ryan, he's in a movie with Denzel, etc

Oh yes, for sure.

I was blown away by him. Especially considering he was in all those shitty romcoms before ST.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
rhino4evr said:
Finally gonna see Avatar this weekend...going to a Saturday Imax show...if anyone is questioning it's Box Office power this weekend please see theater schedule below....

12/30/2009- Wednesday

Under the Sea 3D

12/31/2009- Thursday

Under the Sea 3D

10:45 PM

1/1/2010- Friday

Under the Sea 3D

1/2/2010- Saturday

Under the Sea 3D

3:15 PM

12:10 PM (SOLD OUT)

1/3/2010- Sunday

12:00 PM(SOLD OUT)
4:15 PM (SOLD OUT)
7:25 PM (SOLD OUT)
10:35 PM

Damn dude where do you live? :lol

StoOgE said:
There is only 1 Imax screen in Austin and it is sold out for two weeks.
You'll probably do better with RealD 3D anyways. The IMAX presentation was a bit too distracting for me. Gonna check out RealD one sometime this week.

rhino4evr

mckmas8808 said:
Damn dude where do you live? :lol

I live in South Florida..this is the Fort Lauderdale Imax. The funny thing is that it wasnt even sold out on opening night until the day of the show. So the word of mouth has obviously spread.

Its sold out everyday, every showing since it opened.

Solo

teacupcopter said:

OMG, I meant north :lol Solo am directional retard confirmed. I was saying that her career is going up in a big way. Funny how one word changes the entire meaning of my post.

No, I was saying she is on an epic rise. Shes basically had the BEST 2009 of anyone in movies, being a part of two gigantic smash hits.

Solo

Thats also an increase from Tuesday :D How in the blue fuck are every days numbers UP from last week? :lol Cameron is a wizard.

GhaleonEB

gdt5016 said:
Whats the current domestic/WW take with the Wednesday numbers in?
Through Tuesday:

Domestic: $250,419,951
+ Foreign: $476,192,825

Add $18.4m to domestic, and it's at $268.8m. Foreign earnings were $63m for Monday+Tuesday, so probably add another $30m for Wednesday

Making it $775m WW through yesterday. It will be over $800m going into the weekend....

GhaleonEB said:
Through Tuesday:

Add $18.4m to domestic, and it's at $268.8m. Foreign earnings were $63m for Monday+Tuesday, so probably add another $30m for Wednesday

Making it $775m WW through yesterday. It will be over $800m going into the weekend....

Is it bad that everytime I see one of these updates, I think to the naysayers and haters:

KEEP HATING.

IT'S NOT WORKING.

mckmas8808

GhaleonEB said:
Through Tuesday:

$800M is a strong number going into the weekend. If it can do at least $65 this weekend domestically then I think it could "POSSIBLY" hit $1 Billion worldwide by Sunday night. Yes folks that'll be $1 Billion in 16 or so days.

y2dvd

Went to see Avatar for the 3rd time last night. Pretty much every IMAX screening was SOLD OUT. I had to settle for RealD again but even that was a packed house.

Off Topic: Why is a large bottle of water $4.50? I spent $30 on 2 tickets and a bottle of water that night. It just doesn't seem right! :lol

y2dvd said:
Off Topic: Why is a large bottle of water $4.50? I spent $30 on 2 tickets and a bottle of water that night. It just doesn't seem right! :lol
Because that is how the theater makes money.

You didn't think it was from your tickets, did you?

y2dvd said:
Went to see Avatar for the 3rd time last night. Pretty much every IMAX screening was SOLD OUT. I had to settle for RealD again but even that was a packed house.

Going to the movies with a girl with a
big purse is always a plus for that very reason. I remember the old days where you could just walk in with a 99 cent Big Gulp from 7-11 and the employees didn't give a shit.

mckmas8808

Ninja Scooter said:
Going to the movies with a girl with a
big purse
is always a plus for that very reason. I remember the old days where you could just walk in with a 99 cent Big Gulp from 7-11 and the employees didn't give a shit.

My wife does it ever time. She carries in 2 water bottles a medium fry and a burger from Wendy's.

Timbuktu

ryutaro's mama said:
Because that is how the theater makes money.

You didn't think it was from your tickets, did you?

Actually, does anyone know if 3D/IMAX movies split the money between the theater and the studio any differently compared with the traditional model? I'd imagine maybe the split would be a bit a bit different for IMAX since they have fewer films, with longer runs.

GhaleonEB

irfan said:
Wanna bet? :D
I posted my prediction. If I'm wrong, you have free reign to post quote and mock at will. :D

It's $73m behind right now. Figure it chips down another $5m tomorrow. Avatar is heading for another ~$70m weekend, against TDK's $42m third weekend, so that drops the margin to ~$30m. The week after, daily takes were $6.3m, $5.6m and $5.m $4.7m. So by Thursday might be a bit aggressive, but if not then by the weekend.

I think it will be close, either way.

CiSTM

Banned
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Man, this movie is a beast. Why the FUCK did people think that it was going to bomb?

It's a sci-fi movie with odd looking blue guys ? I never expected it to do this well. Sure only Cameron's name in credits is enough to drag people in to theaters but never expected it to be this stellar.

artist

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I posted my prediction. If I'm wrong, you have free reign to post quote and mock at will. :D

It's $73m behind right now. Figure it chips down another $5m tomorrow. Avatar is heading for another ~$70m weekend, against TDK's $42m third weekend, so that drops the margin to ~$30m. The week after, daily takes were $6.3m, $5.6m and $5.m $4.7m. So by Thursday might be a bit aggressive, but if not then by the weekend.

I think it will be close, either way.
I think you are getting carried away here. The point at which your original post was (Tues numbers) you said it would be ahead of TDK at that point next week. :p

Even if I let you stretch it, I think it will be real tough for Avatar to outrun TDK before next weekend.

GhaleonEB

irfan said:
I think you are getting carried away here. The point at which your original post was (Tues numbers) you said it would be ahead of TDK at that point next week. :p

Even if I let you stretch it, I think it will be real tough for Avatar to outrun TDK before next weekend.
Eh, I wasn't being precise, it was a back of the envelope number crunch; I meant next week with that post, not the exact day. Running the numbers, it will take until the end of the week at least. But whatever, my point wasn't so lay down some marker and set up a forum bet, it was to point out how fast it's gaining on TDK; it looks to match or pass it by late next week.

Which is to say, it's likely to pass $500m domestic.

FoneBone

Timbuktu said:
Actually, does anyone know if 3D/IMAX movies split the money between the theater and the studio any differently compared with the traditional model? I'd imagine maybe the split would be a bit a bit different for IMAX since they have fewer films, with longer runs.
IMAX itself gets a cut of the gross for films in that format. I'd imagine that something similar applies to RealD, Dolby3D, et cetera.

CiSTM said:
It's a sci-fi movie with odd looking blue guys ? I never expected it to do this well. Sure only Cameron's name in credits is enough to drag people in to theaters but never expected it to be this stellar.

It is no longer really Cameron's name that is bringing people to see it now. All those people were there the first few days. Now its all the people who were not interested in sci-fi/james cameron but have caught on to the strong word of mouth. And fuck me its strong.

BTW, how long did it take the other $1 billion grossing movies to hit their mark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom