• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Game Installs thread

Rektash

Any infos on Blue Dragon loading times with hdd install? I am on my playthrough atm and really don t like the loading times.

bathala

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Those with Lost Odyssey:

How are multi-disc games working? I assume you have four separate ISOs, but will an ISO for disc 3 work with disc 1 in the tray?

go to the page of ur original post. Crtl+F is your friend type Odyssey

Rektash said:
Any infos on Blue Dragon loading times with hdd install? I am on my playthrough atm and really don t like the loading times.

wtf!? ...Blue Dragon has some of THE best loading times for any current gen jRPG. Right up there with Infinite Undiscovery

But to answer your question, speedy loadtimes are even made speedier with an install.

Striker

Would using the install on a game like NCAA '09 cut away from random game-unreliables? I've gotten them because it seems it tries too hard to read my disc.

Rektash

AgentOtaku said:
wtf!? ...Blue Dragon has some of THE best loading times for any current gen jRPG. Right up there with Infinite Undiscovery

Yeah, maybe its just the general slowness of the gameplay (especially the combay system). Time will tell.

AgentOtaku said:
But to answer your question, speedy loadtimes are even made speedier with an install.

Thats nice to hear.

TJ Spyke

Sorry if this has been asked, but I can't access any video game websites right now to check, but is there an announced way to get the New Xbox Experience other than downloading? I don't have Internet access at home right now, so that is not an option.

Monocle

Wow, the very first thing I'm going to install is Lost Odyssey disk 4. I've been looking for an excuse to complete the Temple of Enlightenment and it looks like I just found it.

Psychotext said:
[Halo 3 load time comparisons]
Great work. Much appreciated.

TJ Spyke said:
Sorry if this has been asked, but I can't access any video game websites right now to check, but is there an announced way to get the New Xbox Experience other than downloading? I don't have Internet access at home right now, so that is not an option.

1) Find an internet connection where you can download the update to a thumb drive or CD/DVD from Microsoft's site.
2) Wait until games start including the update on their discs.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ninja99 said:
Wow, the very first thing I'm going to install is Lost Odyssey disk 4. I've been looking for an excuse to complete the Temple of Enlightenment and it looks like I just found it.

Shorter load times won't change the power of that temple to drive you mentally insane

'wait what if I turn the blocks.. oh no that's not... if I go down there will there be a chest or will I continue on the main path.. or get a dead end or

FUUUUCK'

TJ Spyke

Uncle Dukey said:
1) Find an internet connection where you can download the update to a thumb drive or CD/DVD from Microsoft's site.
2) Wait until games start including the update on their discs.

I guess I will have to wait for #2. xbox.com is blocked as it is considered a games site.

MCD

Darunia said:
Shorter load times won't change the power of that temple to drive you mentally insane

'wait what if I turn the blocks.. oh no that's not... if I go down there will there be a chest or will I continue on the main path.. or get a dead end or

FUUUUCK'
follow youtube guides.

Crazyorloco

I'm guessing chances of getting RROD problems will be reduced by installing games to the HDD because the 360 is using less power. (No Laser disk reading, rotating disk) if so, I'm glad. Less worries. :)

I hope Bungie issues a patch for Halo 3. When I thought of which games to install Halo 3 was my first choice, I still play multiplayer often.

Darunia said:
True, but it will probably help stop you from smashing your controller to bits when you keep getting attacked. :lol
Crazyorloco said:
I'm guessing chances of getting RROD problems will be reduced by installing games to the HDD because the 360 is using less power.
That would largely be offset by the increased HDD usage. Besides, it's power at the GPU / CPU that counts for RRoD.

However, it should significantly reduce the chances of screwing up your DVD drive. :)

burgerdog

65536 said:
Another one for the list: Quake 4 (PAL) is 5.9GB installed.

Just wondering, have people compared how Gears 2 runs off a hard drive vs the disc?

I've been getting some pretty bad stuttering with it installed on my 120gb Elite. Is that just the game, or the fact that it's installed?

Gears 2 runs silky smooth on my 120gb elite.

fernoca

Another one!
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe
Size: 6.4GB
Notes: Not much difference, loadings are around 1-2 seconds shorter and that's it...so far.

And since I thought it was in the OP, yet noticed it's not:
Guitar Hero: World Tour
Size: 6.5GB

Any word on Battle Fantasia and Culdcept Saga install sizes and load times?

The load times in Sonic 2006 were atrocious (like the rest of the game rite?), how are they with the install?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
So, does NXE have a built-in defrag option that periodically cleans up the hard drive? I can imagine installing and unintalling these games could get messy over time.

Any news on whether or not the new HDD sold at retail will have a transfer cable packed in?

I plan on installing the top 3 games in my rotation and then circulating them in and out with new games.

1. Gears of War 2
2. Battlefield: Bad Company
3. Fable 2 or NHL 09 (haven't decided yet)

pr0cs

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Burnout Revenge - load (or restart) Eastern Bay, long forward race.

Before: 26 seconds.
After: 11 seconds.

(!)
Shit.

Now I feel really badly about selling Burnout, I had a few races left that took longer to load than play, and figured that I'd never be able to suffer through the loading. I should never have sold the goddamn game :(

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
NBA 2K9 - 6.7 GB

From what I've played, it really helps the frame rate issues and previously frequent hanging.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DenogginizerOS said:
So, does NXE have a built-in defrag option that periodically cleans up the hard drive? I can imagine installing and unintalling these games could get messy over time.

Any news on whether or not the new HDD sold at retail will have a transfer cable packed in?

I plan on installing the top 3 games in my rotation and then circulating them in and out with new games.

1. Gears of War 2
Very bad fragmentation happen when you have lots of small files being created/removed all the time, with very big files having to fill in the space left. It's not really going to be the case with the 360, where the "swap" partition for the games is separate from the main partition where the installs are stored.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Burnout Revenge - load (or restart) Eastern Bay, long forward race.

Before: 26 seconds.
After: 11 seconds.

(!)
Of all the games I have, I guess this will benifit the most. Time to install it!

Scrolling through Humba's blueprints for sale in Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is MUCH smoother after install. Not perfect, but nowhere NEAR as bad as it was.

:D

painey

I've installed Gears 2, GHWT, Smackdown 2009, CoD:WaW, Mirrors Edge, Banjo: N&B and Tomb Raider Underworld so far. I LOVE it. I dont think I will ever play a game on my 360 again without first installing it.

Brashnir

BenjaminBirdie said:
Scrolling through Humba's blueprints for sale in Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is MUCH smoother after install. Not perfect, but nowhere NEAR as bad as it was.

I was more impressed with the load times between worlds. It wasn't uncommon for me to get 3 LOG tips when loading Showdown town before. Now I get one and that's it. Other loads where I'd get one before, now he doesn't even get up to the screen to give any.

Brashnir said:
I was more impressed with the load times between worlds. It wasn't uncommon for me to get 3 LOG tips when loading Showdown town before. Now I get one and that's it. Other loads where I'd get one before, now he doesn't even get up to the screen to give any.

Yeah, I'm sure. I only had a little time to check this morning so I went straight to her market because, for real, that shit was HAnnoying.

REV 09

DenogginizerOS said:

1. Gears of War 2
transfer cable is packed in with the 120gb HDD. not sure about the others.

gkryhewy

Ebay refurb 120GBs for the win. According to CAG, MS will send you the transfer kit for free if you write "on order" for the serial number of your alleged new Elite system - they aren't stingy with the transfer kits.

JSnake

BenjaminBirdie said:

Great to hear!

Top Bottom