• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

Lo-Volt said:
If true, then I stand corrected. But I'm sure more stores did it for this launch than for preceding consoles.
Yeah, but this is just Gamestop's numbers. They did not have bundles for their brick and mortar stores.

I believe the Xbox had the highest tie ratio at launch at 1.78 (I posted it back during the PSP launch) and I'm thinking that a combination of low quantities (meaning only the hardcore could get them) along with the strong launch lineup, will give the 360, at least, a 2.5 tie ratio, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it reach upwards of 3.

sonycowboy said:
I believe the Xbox had the highest tie ratio at launch at 1.78 (I posted it back during the PSP launch) and I'm thinking that a combination of low quantities (meaning only the hardcore could get them) along with the strong launch lineup, will give the 360, at least, a 2.5 tie ratio, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it reach upwards of 3.
What was the tie-in ratio for the PSP?

Mrbob

sonycowboy said:

With low hardware shipments, many people have games and no system. Going to inflate the software attach ratio higher than it should be.

Mrbob said:
With low hardware shipments, many people have games and no system. Going to inflate the software attach ratio higher than it should be.

I heard this at quite a few stores, and it will be interesting to see.

I'm not going to be surprised if the tie ratio actually hits 4 for November.

Joe

im setting up my harmony remote and it wants a model number for my game console. what should i put for the 360?

Hiro_Kunimi_80 said:
uhm..
like... like... me ? :D
deb.jpg

( white is better :) )
Niiiiiiiiiiiice......Just like I said it'd look.

Black is better with that faceplate.

> 500 Posts <

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
My remote has been in transit at Gamestop for a week now. It's there a shipping problem nationwide? Is that why the 360 is being air shipped

swordsman

Banned
Raiden said:
I have some Xbox Live related Questions as well, i still have my Xbox live account running till februari. But how exactly do i connect to Xbox Live with that account on my 360? I have to create a gamerscard, and choose a name?...Will that name become my new Gamertag? And do people have to type that name, or the old one to add me?

Also when i wanted to create my gamerscard i had to write down my old gamertag and the last 4 digits of my CC, the thing is i dont have that exact CC anymore, but did pay till feb...what do i do?
---
Yes, I think the Gamecard tag is your new gametag for on Live (xbox360)
For gamecard you do need a passport (like hotmail account) from MS.
Choose becarefull a name for your gamecard. It's allow only one name per passport(hotmail) account.
I don't know exactly how the process to get on Live with xbox360, because I will have my xbox360 this Friday.
I think you have to link your old Gametag with your new Gamecard+ 4 digits from your mastercard.

If you don't know what your old Tagname was, you can start from a scratch>>
Create a new Tagname, and discontinue your old subscription or maybe call the service line to gain more information about your old tagname.
Do you still own your xbox??
You can go to the Live setting window from the MSdashboard>>your old tag account shoul be there!!!

Check for more information:
www.xbox.com
good luck:)

Phranky

Banned
After going to see Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang at the Haymarket cineworld (where I left my bag) I decided to wander off to the Virgin Megastore in Piccadilly circus and take photographic evidence of the xbox 360 promotional shenanigans.

You're welcome to take these photos and start a new thread, because I sure as hell can't for some reason.

Anyway, here they are (sorry for the quality):

29112005.jpg

This is one of the side displays outside.

29112005019.jpg

The front of the store

29112005020.jpg

29112005021.jpg

They seem to be really pimping PD0.

29112005022.jpg

Games are relegated to the basement...

29112005023.jpg

29112005024.jpg

29112005026.jpg

29112005027.jpg

This is one of 2 xbox 360 demo pods, this one has King Kong on it, the other has Kameo or COD on it, depending on what time/day you get there. I thought this guy sucked at King Kong), then i played it and died 3 times in the space of 2 minutes, the controls were a little strange and that T-Rex is tough...

29112005031.jpg

The other one, surrounded by what I presume are a bunch of fat obnoxious tourists.

EDIT: I just noticed that "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death" thing. :lol

29112005030.jpg

In a massive store, this is all the shelf space the Xbox 360 gets. I guess they're going to move things around the night before release, because they sure as hell can't have 4 Xbox 360's.

29112005029.jpg

These weren't working when I took the photo's, but there was another DS demo pod that was working right next to the Xbox 360 with the King Kong demo.

Danj

Phranky said:
You're welcome to take these photos and start a new thread, because I sure as hell can't for some reason.

You're still at Junior Member level. Post more often (without getting banned) until you reach Member level and then you get allowed to make your own threads.

Nice pictures, but I think after hearing about the absolute fiasco in the US you could be wrong about the number of premium packs - it wouldn't surprise me to learn they only actually got four. They probably have a bunch of tard packs in a storeroom or something.

SuperPac

Nice photos. Will be interesting to see how the Euro launch goes. I'm guessing loads of jerkstores lining up to buy very few consoles to then put directly on Ebay, just like in America.

Phranky

Banned
I noticed that the HMV store (which is smaller and only has 1 demo pod), down the road from the Virgin Megastore has 3 premium pack boxes on display, and 1 core pack (sorry... tard pack).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
surely somewhere on oxford street there will be a store with shitloads of Xboxs. Whichever one MS plan to use for 'huge queue', 'high demand' PR photoshoot stuff.

Dazzla

Quick question, can you purchase the upgrade to Xbox Live Gold and the marketplace points from the 360 itself? Can't be assed to pop into Game and buy them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How long is the ethernet cable in the premium box? I want to be ready for Friday's launch in the UK and if its not long enough to reach my router I'll need to get another ready.

cheers!

Lo-Volt

An enquiring mind wants to know: does the Xbox 360's wireless networking adapter accept WPA encryption, or does it use only WEP?

fse

m0dus said:
Has anyone tried to download any of the demos from marketplace today or yesterday? it's moving slower than hell (like, around 1-2 hours to D/l the 500 meg LIVE download)

anyone else noticing this? Live hasn't been laggy at all for me, but this is a bit of a shock :lol

I dl'd nba live and NFS MW a while ago. Slow but ... it works.

Sorry if already posted but play.com has 12 months Gold membership for only £12.99!! Is this a pricing mistake? I thought 3 months costs about that... Anyway, i already ordered it, what a bargain. Normally it costs almost 60 euros. :)

Lo-Volt said:
An enquiring mind wants to know: does the Xbox 360's wireless networking adapter accept WPA encryption, or does it use only WEP?
And, I'd like to ask.....

....How far can you recieve WIFI connection/signals? Between the adapter, to the next person's signal. My friend told me that he doesn't have a router, but he stole connection to WIFI or wireless connection.....not in his room, but rather another place? I guess?

The question is, what is the recommended length between the wireless adapter, and the signal?

scaffa

Project Midway said:
Sorry if already posted but play.com has 12 months Gold membership for only £12.99!! Is this a pricing mistake? I thought 3 months costs about that... Anyway, i already ordered it, what a bargain. Normally it costs almost 60 euros. :)

It now displays only the 2100 points card and the 3month live card. They removed it?

Zotty said:
It now displays only the 2100 points card and the 3month live card. They removed it?
Apparently... :\ And of course play.com has their liability statement, they dont have to sell at erronous price.... Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed If they decide to be nice and sell it at that low price. =)

Can anyone confirm if the Euro Xbox 360 launch titles are multi-language or not?

I live outside the UK, but I dont wanna run the risk of having to play through my choice of launch titles in French!

...Halo was bad enough with no multi-language support and no subtitles.

swordsman

Banned
disaster_area said:
Can anyone confirm if the Euro Xbox 360 launch titles are multi-language or not?

I live outside the UK, but I dont wanna run the risk of having to play through my choice of launch titles in French!

...Halo was bad enough with no multi-language support and no subtitles.
---
cannot confirm it yet..will have some answer tomorrow:
Games should only be in 1 language and that is ENGLISH.
Costs time and money to do multi languages.

EA has fucked up with the Dutch Burnout revenge- multi language and NO English_
I prefer English over the Ducht language.

Lo-Volt

Dedicated gamers are expected to start queuing for the long-awaited Xbox 360 which makes its debut in the UK at midnight.

Microsoft's machine is the first next generation games console to go on sale, ahead of those from Sony and Nintendo.

But retailers have warned that fans may be disappointed as most shops have already sold out of all their stock.

Some gamers have been expressing their frustration at the expected shortage of 360s in online forums.

The Xbox 360 is one of the most eagerly-awaited consumer electronics debuts of the year.

It is vying with Apple's iPod and Sony's PlayStation Portable (PSP) at the top of many people's Christmas lists.

The console sold out quickly when it was released in the US last week, with some machines subsequently appearing on the online auction site eBay for inflated sums.

It goes on sale in Europe on Friday and in Japan on 10 December.

It is the first time that a console maker has launched a product almost simultaneously across the world and the ambitious plan has led to supply problems for Microsoft.

In an interview with the Official UK Xbox Magazine, Xbox marketing boss Peter Moore admitted some gamers would be disappointed.

"We've got two factories working 24 hours a day," he said. "It's not like baking bread. It has 1,700 parts, we have to make them, pack them, and ship them.

"We're trying to get everyone satisfied as quickly as we can but demand is huge."

Some 300,000 Xbox 360s are likely to be available for Friday's European launch, though demand is far expected to exceed this.

"There are enough fans of the initial console and hardcore gamers who always buy new consoles to guarantee the initial launch will sell all the available units," said Jupiter Research analyst Paul Jackson.

"The trick is to build on the initial enthusiasm over the next year."

When Sony's PSP went on sale in the UK in September, it sold more than 185,000 units in four days. Since then, Sony has also had trouble meeting demand for the handheld.

The Xbox 360 will get its official midnight launch at video game retailer Game's flagship store in London's Oxford Street.

A Game spokesperson said some 200 fans were expected to queue up in advance, though only those who placed pre-orders would be allowed in.

Customers turning up on the off chance of getting hold of a console would be turned away.

The retail chain which includes Currys, Dixons and PC World has said it will have a limited number of the basic Xbox 360 package in stores.

Tesco has also said it will have limited supply of the consoles on sale in 130 of its largest stores from midnight.

"I think I'm gonna try just lurking around in Tesco from about 11pm and see if that works," said a gamer in a posting to a forum on the Xbox Scene site. "As Tesco aren't doing pre-orders, this may be the best solution."

Another gamer wrote: "Well guys, wish me luck, I'm off to my local Asda tomorrow, for a 12-hour wait to try and get a 360. They have some for sale @ midnight first come first served.

"I've got the playing cards, MP3 player, mobile phone, flask of coffee, and a GameBoy SP ready to go."

Some Xbox fans who pre-ordered the console as far back as August are angry after being told they may not receive the machine before Christmas.

"You might have thought that Microsoft, if they are determined to topple Sony from the console marketplace, might have learnt from the stock shortages that plagued the PSP," said one gamer in an e-mail to the BBC News website.

"You can't be a market leader if you have no products to sell to customers!"

The Xbox 360 costs £209.99 or £279.99 including a package of accessories, though many retailers are bundling the console with games, pushing up the price.

Sony and Nintendo are planning to release their next gen consoles during 2006, giving Microsoft an edge over its rivals by launching the 360 now.

The software giant is virtually tied with Nintendo for second place, way behind Sony, in a games market worth $25bn globally.

Top Bottom