• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh snap? Nintendo re-trademarks Eternal Darkness for NA (no news, don't bother)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine

Vyse The Legend said:
I'm surprised no one noticed that David Ellis on 4 Guys 1up mentioned that an Eternal Darkness remake/game was in the works. He mentioned it so casually on the podcast that I wasn't sure if it was an accidental scoop or common knowledge.
Megaton if true ... ehm I mean For.

Sadist said:
OOOOO EEEMMM GEEEE

But didn't they re-trademark Luigi's Mansion a month ago as well?
Luigi's Mansion 2 better come in a green case. With both that and ED2, 2010 will be the year of Nintendo Survival Horror.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Non-event. This is Nintendo protecting their interests in the eventuality that they decide they might want to do something maybe. Don't expect an announcement.

Incorrect. As I mentioned already, the guys at 1up said an Eternal Darkness game is in the works.

Vyse The Legend said:
Incorrect. As I mentioned already, the guys at 1up said an Eternal Darkness game is in the works.

But we do not know if it was a mistake, and he meant something else. Since they just glanced over it so damn quick, with John just agreeing and nothing more. We don't know if they actually meant Eternal Darkness and not something else, since nothing was said.

If that David Ellis quote is the only thing you are going by, that doesn't confirm shit. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. He could just as easily been pulling it out of his ass and referring to the funding they are receiving to make a "psychological" game that was found a long while ago.

Keep it in the pants, guys.

Shiggy

If a new ED was coming, it would be done by SK. It's their vision and they wouldn't be too sad about getting a game funded by their owner. After having two games cancelled/put on hold (Sega: The Crucible aka The Box and TH trilogy), they even did some outsourcing (Darksiders) in order to not to have to lay off their employees. That's pretty great for an employer!

This was posted by a former employee in mid-2009:
Unannounced title (Xbox 360, PS3; May 2006-Present) --> The Box/ The Crucible by Sega
- Modeled and textured 100+ in-game background assets
- Given the responsibility to bring concept art to full functioning environments
- Various lighting duties to both exterior and interior scenes used for both cinematic and in-game
- Identified and solved numerous bug fixes
- Worked extensively with the editor to create realistic shaders
- Experienced in pre-visualization of environments by creating rapid prototypes of design or concept ideas

Unannounced title (2008, Xbox 360, PS3; to be released in 2009) --> Darksiders
- Modeled accurate static meshes from concept
- Using modular pieces, was able to create varied environments

Unannounced title (All platforms; 2009) --> Siren in the Maelstrom?
- Modeled various background set pieces for cinematics

So we have to see whether The Box is still in production (there were layoffs!) and whether they are really working on a ED game, which would be Wii-exclusive then. It may be resurrected just like Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Vinterbird said:
But we do not know if it was a mistake, and he meant something else. Since they just glanced over it so damn quick, with John just agreeing and nothing more. We don't know if they actually meant Eternal Darkness and not something else, since nothing was said.

Why in the world would he say "Eternal Darkness" of all things? It's not like a sequel/remake/anything was rumored.

Wii Vitality believe

495wii-vitality-sensor1.jpg

Swittcher

Banned
Nintendo is having a media summit that only emcompasses NA and EU

Retro has been working on something for nearly 2.5 years that is not Metroid.

Eternal Darkness trademark renewed 1 week before the conference.

Sadist

Agnates said:
And the trademark is a coincidence after the "reveal"? That doesn't sound believable either.
Well, we knew about the Last Story a few weeks before the announcement.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I would love to see a sequel to this game. Oh man, the first time the game said my memory data was corrupt, I freaked out!

evangd007

Vyse The Legend said:
Just double-checked. He says, "I assume the new Eternal Darkness game will be announced this year."

For, For, my God, For.

Agnates said:
And the trademark is a coincidence after the "reveal"? That doesn't sound believable either.

Two could still be a coincidence, we need one more tidbit for it to be a pattern.

The implications of a new Eternal Darkness are pretty huge. That means the NoA actually did something other than being glorified salespeople.

Vicar of Techno

Neo Member
I would buy a Wii if they released an new ED, the first was the absolute pinnacle of the Gamecube. I just cant help dreaming up all these new sanity effects, you could do loads with it, momentary control inversion, sounds from the Wiimote...

Vyse The Legend said:
Why in the world would he say "Eternal Darkness" of all things? It's not like a sequel/remake/anything was rumored.

Because he could have meant Darksiders, Perfect Dark, Dark Void, Alone in the Dark or anything with Dark in its name. Ellis mentioned during the episode they were under the influence of alchol as well as recording late. Meaning he could easily have misspoken, and unless he wants to elaborate on the comment in here, we have nothing confirming (nor denying) he said what he meant to say.

[Nintex]

Swittcher said:
Nintendo is having a media summit that only emcompasses NA and EU

Retro has been working on something for nearly 2.5 years that is not Metroid.

Eternal Darkness trademark renewed 1 week before the conference.
Retro is unable to design humans.

Epiphyte

jump_button said:
Wii Vitality believe

[IG]http://www.infendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/495wii-vitality-sensor1.jpg[/IMG]
That would be pretty compelling

I wish it had existed for SH: Homecoming, those guys seem like they would have put it to some clever usage.

upandaway

I remember how in one of those E3 IGN interviews, those things they had in their streaming video player on their site at E3 2008, they had the ED developer there on another game, and at some point they mentioned a sequel to ED.

I don't remember what they said anymore, but I remember I told it to a friend and he freaked out. I think they went along the lines of saying they're very seriously considering it or something.

No one remembers that? Was I the only one who watched?

oracrest

This would be pretty cool.

I enjoyed how they jumped through time, and different characters.

Slowly turing into a Zombie!!

Alphahawk

I never played ED, but I don't understand how the insanity effects could really be that traumatic after a couple of them don't you just kind of write it off as like "oh the games fucking with me that's cute"?

Alphahawk said:
I never played ED, but I don't understand how the insanity effects could really be that traumatic after a couple of them don't you just kind of write it off as like "oh the games fucking with me that's cute"?

Not for a while, because they come in quite a few variations.

Seeing a cockroach run across your screen causes fear in a different way than being tricked into thinking your save was erased.

Cohsae

Alphahawk said:
Some of them fit into that category, but they would still add to the overall creepy and unsettling atmosphere of the game.
Some of them would genuinely fuck with you though. Open your inventory and a key item is missing, game tricks you into thinking you just accidentally deleted your save, making you think you turned down the volume on your tv.

Agnates

Banned
I wonder if I'll get fucked up gaming experiences that use the vitality sensor for having higher than normal blood pressure. I'd hope they'd first do a test to calibrate what is "normal" for the person playing... Maybe even show you soothing, happy, sad, scary etc images to gauge how your pulse reacts to the changes.

Agnates

Banned
...Oh. Hopes destroyed :lol

Though it's possible the design has changed to incorporate bluetooth I suppose. Or maybe to include both in and out sockets so you can connect a nunchuck to it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Sorry to burst your bubble but I REALLY doubt there is a new Eternal Darkness in the work. What would they gain from bringing that franchise back? It wasn't a huge hit and now goes against their image.

Hm

I really have my doubts that David Ellis meant what he said, but it does jive with things I've heard.

Essentially, SK is in extremely dire straits and they need work. The Sega project has stalled and Microsoft isn't eager to begin another project with them this soon.

This isn't to say they definitely ran to Nintendo - a lot of bridges were burned - but it's not out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom