• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ohio school shooting 2/27/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuri

Banned
Have you noticed that school shootings always happen at this time of the year? Actually I noticed they start at the end of March and in April.

Weenerz

Banned
Stricter gun laws don't mean people that legally purchase guns won't be able to anymore, if that's your concern.

My concern is penalizing people that had nothing to do with this. Why punish people following the laws when some fucktard steals a weapon and kills people? I am not a gun owner myself but I still think it's bullshit to have stricter gun laws.

Zareth

Doesn't Canada have more guns per capita than the US? Don't know about the laws though.

Culture has a lot to do with it. A gun is a source of power, the ultimate comeback. If you have a gun, you have someone's life in your hand.

I think Columbine was the obvious tipping point and VT was just above and beyond that. The media attention and visible national outrage is all you need for motivation. If you feel so disenfranchised with society and life in general and you want to hurt as many as possible, this is what you do. You've seen on TV the pain and anguish it causes. To top it off, you die by suicide or in a shootout, you go out on your own terms. They never get their answers, they can only guess why you did what you did, and sure, they'll call you terrible things but they will obsess over you, want to find out any thing they can. Essentially you win.

Thats the train of thought thats scary as shit to me. Gun control can and will help curtail the ease of such actions, but its not going to stop people who feel like this. And if they can't do it with guns, they'll find another way to do it.

I think the big difference between Canada and the US is when it comes to guns is that it is much more difficult to obtain pistols or really anything outside of weapons used in hunting in Canada.

Holy crap....Lane is being transferred to the juvenile detention facility that I taught at a few months ago @_@

It's a brand new building and certainly doesn't look like a jail on the outside. I only accepted the assignment because I was curious about what it looked like inside. The kids were all in jumpsuits. It was quite an experience.

juvenile-justice-center-cuy.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've driven by that....I assumed it was a mall or a movie theater.

My concern is penalizing people that had nothing to do with this. Why punish people following the laws when some fucktard steals a weapon and kills people? I am not a gun owner myself but I still think it's bullshit to have stricter gun laws.

If you take a gun out pf my car and shoot somebody I may be prosecuted now. Why make it different for a parent?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Drug laws aren't gun laws.

WHOOSH.

Yes, but stricter gun laws doesn't prevent guns from getting into peoples hands. Just means they go behind the governments back/into the blackmarket for them.

People want guns, they'll get them. Kids of those people want to get them and they aren't properly locked up? They'll get them.

"Stricters laws" won't solve the issue of improper storing.

The Seks, and why shouldn't they solve improper storing?

Th.. the what?

More thorough background checks I'm guessing. Look into immediate family, talk to people close to them. Obviously that would take a lot more work but would help fix things.

Also reasons for owning a gun (proof of membership at shooting range, hunting club etc or for work - including police work or on a farm where you may need to cull animals etc), better education, and limitations on the types of guns that can be purchased. Proof that you can secure it in a way that your nephew can't steal it and shoot people with it.

Guns are a part of our heritage/culture/freedom/building blocks in the States. You have to accept the bad with the good, and it's going to stay. The day guns are removed from society, it'll only be days later that freedom of speech is next removed.

No one is saying remove guns. Tighter gun controls aren't a bad thing, and they certainly don't have anything to do with freedom. We had a similar gun culture in Australia, and we seem to have transitioned okay. I think 5% of the population still owns guns, but better regulation has helped to reduce gun crime and accidental gun deaths have gone down to almost zero (I posted some stats above).

Its not supposed to punish people, and if its done right it shouldn't.

J-Rzez

It's on me to teach my children that guns aren't the answer. Period. Fear of prosecution would inspire more vigilant parenting instead of lettimg JR sit in front of computer all day...

Also.I am a pround gun owner. I have several.

That's common knowledge, thus I didn't state that. If you have guns with children around, of course you're going to talk to them about it asap.

With this thinking, lets just lay off the Police and the TSA. We didn't do anything wrong, why do we have to be subject to them?

Clearly, someone controlling their gun was not a concern in this story, right?

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE, THINK OF THE GUN OWNERS HERE?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom