• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF lets battle it out. Which franchise is better F-Zero or Wipeout

Pick yours

Results are only viewable after voting.

jett

D-Member
Reading comprehension, what is this?

Then, after a lengthy explanation of why I, personally, prefer F-Zero over Wipeout in every way imaginable, I say, clearly in the context of my opinion:

You must think your massive display of hyerbole is not an example of fanboyism, or that simply stating "it's my opinion bro!" absolves you from being considered as such.

Fiendcode

You must think your massive display of hyerbole is not an example of fanboyism, or that simply stating "it's my opinion bro!" absolves you from being considered as such.
Bitching about shitposting doesn't mean much when you've done little besides shitposting yourself.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, it is in principle not OK to dislike most aspects of a game and to like most aspects of a completely different game? Is it fanboyism if I prefer that Ridge Racer over Wave Race in every aspect imaginable? Or Banjo over Kirby?

What kind of way of putting this preference, other than to highlight this is a personal valuation, would you find acceptable?

Shifty

WipEout without a second thought. I enjoy both but I'll take the cautionary hyper-corporate future of WipEout over F-Zero's saturday morning cartoon any day of the week.

Also, OP clearly exposing their F-Zero bias with that rubbish WipEout gif in the first post.

Going to have to say F-Zero. I generally like the Wipeout series, but I think both F-Zero X and GX are better than the best of Wipeout.

GX I would maybe, maaaaaybe give you, but X better than the best of WipEout? Y'all be trippin'.

A Brunel avatar and a well-posed argument. I like you.

cartesian

This. The whole arguing thing sounds like Playstation All-star fans somehow trying to justify their purchases because their game isn't nearly as good as Smash Bros

It is true though.

Points for Wipeout: Graphics.

Points for F-zero: Gameplay, track design, music, multiplayer, challenging gameplay, sense of speed.

F-zero GX alone shits on all the wipeout games combined. Wipeout is just a poor man's f-zero. inferior in every possible way.

You come off as really insecure when you post like this.

Taste is subjective - you can't plausibly suggest that F-Zero has inarguably superior music (for example) because I assure you that many (including myself) genuinely do prefer WipEout's electronic/trance music over F-Zero's (IMO) cheesy rock. On the other hand, I understand and accept that you feel opposite.

I prefer WipEout but it's not at all incomprehensible to me that many people will prefer F-Zero. I can appreciate the different strengths and styles of each franchise. I mean, I can certainly make a case for why WipEout should be considered a better game experience, but I know I'm not going to persuade everyone (or even anyone, necessarily) and I'm not going to be crass enough to suggest that the things I like are 'superior in every way' to the things other people like.

It baffles me that so many people feel they can only explain why they like a franchise by shitting on the other franchise - and the fans of the other franchise - rather than set out a case for the game they love.

I mean, does anyone, on either side of this discussion, really believe that the other side are sat there "desperately trying to justify their purchases"? That either game is just a "poor man's version" of the other, rather than its own thing with its own lineage and history and design legacy? I mean, come on now...

jett

D-Member
Bitching about shitposting doesn't mean much when you've done little besides shitposting yourself.

For one, I don't think Yoshi is shitposting. Two, I really don't think I've been doing what you accuse me of, aside from an obvious, silly joke with a Nintendoland gif. It's not like I'm going around the thread saying Wipeout shits on F-Zero, or that Wipeout is light years better than F-Zero in every single way, or that I cannot comprehend how someone could prefer one over the other, among other ridiculous shit. Unlike a lot of people here, I've put a decent amount of time in both franchises and I've enjoyed both, although Wipeout has always been my preference.

So, it is in principle not OK to dislike most aspects of a game and to like most aspects of a completely different game? Is it fanboyism if I prefer that Ridge Racer over Wave Race in every aspect imaginable? Or Banjo over Kirby?

What kind of way of putting this preference, other than to highlight this isa personal valuation, would you find acceptable?

I mean, yes? That seems to make you a Ridge Racer fanboy, like your posts here seem to make you an F-Zero fanboy. Me personally I love the shit out of Ridge Racer V and Wave Race 64 both for multiple, different reasons. You don't really come across as objective when you say something like that.

Speaking of RR vs. WR, RR has historically had the same kind of club/rave/electronic music as Wipeout, which you seemed to have so easily dismissed earlier. You don't prefer Wave Race 64's OST? :p

Both awesome, I can't choose to be honest. Both blew me away at the time with their first entries, F-Zero with the "Mode 7" on SNES and Wipeout was the first ever game I played on a PlayStation and was taken aback by its goodness. Will have to flip a coin.

It is true though.

Points for Wipeout: Graphics.

Points for F-zero: Gameplay, track design, music, multiplayer, challenging gameplay, sense of speed.

Music? You gotta be kiddin' right? Nothing compares with The Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Sasha, Future Sound of London etc. Always ahead of it's time.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I mean, yes? That seems to make you a Ridge Racer fanboy, like your posts here seem to make you an F-Zero fanboy. Me personally I love the shit out of Ridge Racer V and Wave Race 64 both for multiple, different reasons. You don't really come across as objective when you say something like that.

Speaking of RR vs. WR, RR has historically had the same kind of club/rave/electronic music as Wipeout, which you seemed to have so easily dismissed earlier. You don't prefer Wave Race 64's OST? :p

Then we have a different understanding of the word fanboyism, because enjoying one thing drastically more than another thing is absolutely not what I can identify as the defining property of fanboyism. Also, saying "I enjoy all components of X over the corresponding components of Y" is not an objective statement either way and it is not meant as one. Fanboyism is not the opposite of objectivity though, subjectivity is.

Regarding RR: Wave Race Blue Storm is not exactly offering rock music as an alternative. I prefer F-Zero X's soundtrrack over RR's and RR's over Blue Storms.

zoukka

I was always a Playstation gamer first and foremost, but F-Zero seemed to be one class above Wipeout in every area really.

Soul_Pie

I really love both series but I'll side with Wipeout because it's had more great games over the journey. A lot of people in this thread seem to really misunderstand the controls of Wipeout, but this is not surprising if their reference point is F-Zero because they're entirely different in their approach even if they share a very shallow similarity. I don't think it has the immediacy of f-zero but it absolutely rewards players who delve into the physics, momentum and the subtleties of the movement of the ships. Learning the levels is absolutely key whereas you can wing it a bit with F-Zero. I still think GX is the best of the lot, though, what a shame it had to be where the series ended.

This. The whole arguing thing sounds like Playstation All-star fans somehow trying to justify their purchases because their game isn't nearly as good as Smash Bros

This sentence doesn't make any sense.
The context , the comparaison , the exemples , the timing .. everything about this post is just wrong

MTC100

Banned
Extreme-G

I really enjoyed 1 and 2, then with XGRA it went down and Acclaim went bankrupt, R.i.P.

Tbh. I liked it more than F-Zero or WipeOut. It was really fun to chase all the enemies down and just flat out kill them to reach first place, also the graphics were top notch on my N64 back in the days...

Extreme-G-2-5.png

jett

D-Member
Then we have a different understanding of the word fanboyism, because enjoying one thing drastically more than another thing is absolutely not what I can identify as the defining property of fanboyism. Also, saying "I enjoy all components of X over the corresponding components of Y" is not an objective statement either way and it is not meant as one. Fanboyism is not the opposite of objectivity though, subjectivity is.

Regarding RR: Wave Race Blue Storm is not exactly offering rock music as an alternative. I prefer F-Zero X's soundtrrack over RR's and RR's over Blue Storms.

Man, fair enough, but even if you're a mainly F-Zero fan, I still think it's extreme to say nothing in Wipeout comes remotely close. Like, you mentioned speed. Without boosting or glitching, the average max speed in F-Zero GX is around 1050kph and in Wipeout's highest speed class it's close to 800kph. That's pretty close, breh.

Speaking of, I believe the perceived difference in sense of speed stems from the fact that F-Zero GX implements extreme changes to its field of view as you go faster, especially when you boost or hit a boost pad. Wipeout HD also does this but to a much smaller degree, and its "boost time" lasts much less than in GX as well, further diminishing the effect in comparison to GX.

Here's an old post explaining the technical nitty gritty:

About the speed sensation of F-Zero GX and WipEout HD

I noticed a detail in F-Zero which fakes its speed sensation quite a lot,
which is cool for what the games is, an arcade racer. They do it by changing
the 3d projection, i.e. by manipulating the field of view (fov), i.e. by
moving the projection reference point's z-coordinate (prp.z) quite a lot.
During perspective projection the prp's z value becomes a multiplier for the
x and y coordinates scaling their projection on the screen, kinda like this;
screen.x = prp.z*x/z and screen.y = prp.z*y/z. Now if you run over a speedpad
you can see how the screen stretches a lot. Likewise on higher speeds or by
using a boost. This stretching makes things look faster on the screen. If you
look at WipEout HD for example, you can see that the stretching is very low.
They only manipulate the prp.z value just slightly. Hence, the speed sensation
in WipEout HD is more, say, natural. Perhaps they did it that way to not make
the game an arcade racer, where such kind of stretching are cool. At least
back in the days.

This way of faking the speed sensation makes one believe playing an utterly
fast game. But it's just the stretching on the screen what makes one believe
that the game is so fast.

Lets give an example.

Look at this video of F-Zero GX, starting 0:43.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRxQT5g2XJg
And look at the speedmeter as the craft starts. Before the speedpad gets hit
the velocity is about 800km/h. Slow, isn't it?

About 800km/s is the highest speed class in WipEout HD, i.e. phantom speed.
Now look at this video of WipEout HD, it is played at phantom speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxpzCrf8mKE
Seems a bit faster at about the same speed.

Going back to the F-Zero GX video you can see that once the speedpad gets hit,
accelerating the craft to about 1100hm/h, the geometry obviously narrows
towards the center of the screen, i.e. stretching is applied. Then the craft
accelerated to about 1500km/h - 1700km/h and one can see that things within
the center of the screen gets smaller and smaller. Hence, the stretching is
much stronger to produce this sensation of speed, but producing at the same
time kind of an unnatural perspective, which is cool for such kind of games,
mind you! However, without the stretching the game would be perceived way
slower.

Hence, comparing both games solely on the speed, or sensation of speed, is
rather misleading. F-Zero {GX} and WipEout {HD} follow different visions. And
if you play the games that way, it becomes obvious to you.

Synth

I never played the original of this, but really enjoyed the demo for POD II on Dreamcast. I never ended up getting the full game though in the end. Would love to go back to it sometime. Definitely felt more Rollcage than a WipEout though.

Man, fair enough, but even if you're a mainly F-Zero fan, I still think it's extreme to say nothing in Wipeout comes remotely close. Like, you mentioned speed. Without boosting or glitching, the average max speed in F-Zero GX is around 1050kph and in Wipeout's highest speed class it's close to 800kph. That's pretty close, breh.

Speaking of, I believe the perceived difference in sense of speed stems from the fact that F-Zero GX implements extreme changes to its field of view as you go faster, especially when you boost or hit a boost pad. Wipeout HD also does this but to a much smaller degree, and its "boost time" lasts much less than in GX as well, further diminishing the effect in comparison to GX.

Here's an old post explaining the technical nitty gritty:

The bolded is completely irrelevant, as the speed units that each game is using are completely made up, are have no relation with reality or each other. Also, boosts are within the standard gameplay of F-Zero, and not taking them into consideration when talking about its speed would be silly. If you played every lap like the first boostless lap, you'd lose every single race badly (and the game would be one of the slower arcade racers in existence).

Of all the things people use as comparison points between the two games, F-Zero being faster than WipEout is probably the least contestable, if we're talking purely how much distance the ships cover in a given time window. Even without the screen warping that's used to make the game appear faster than it is (which is also employed to a truly ridiculous extent in FAST Racing Neo), if we assume that the crafts in each game are roughly similar in size, the F-Zero ships are clearly covering more distance than WipEout ships do. The only possible exceptions would be Phantom Class on 2097 and 64, where the Piranha ship is incredibly fast in comparison to any others... and even then the sharper corners will pull your ship back far more drastically, making the average speed lower.

If you wanted to make a point for the speed of WipEout versus the speed of F-Zero, then the ship of the ships themselves isn't the way to go. Instead it's worth mentioning other aspects of each games designs, that I feel play into a solid WipEout run often feeling faster than a good F-Zero run. This is primarily because obstacles in F-Zero tend to be spaced very far apart from one another, so you'll successfully make a corner, and then for the next second or two you'll most likely be driving straight forwards with little to no undulation until you come across another corner. WipEout, with its focus on winding courses however means that in the same window of time that you navigate say two corners in F-Zero, you're likely to have encountered far more obstacles that you were required to navigate past in WipEout with corners usually leading immediately into other corners or chicanes, or bums that can send you flying etc.

This thread has me feeling like Geese Howard.

if this thread were a sports competition, it'd be called the PREDICTABOWL

The aesthetic is okay. Not as strong as F-Zero GX, but okay. But that video is pretty weak. There isn't much sense of speed. The weapon play barely matters. The gameplay looks on-rails as fuck and the track design is just terrible. It looks like what it is, which is a PSP game from 2007.

I didn't post that video as an example of WipEout at it's highest speed, but the way you describe what you just saw leads me to believe that you've never touched a WipEout game at all. That gameplay wouldn't look on-rails if you new what it took to stay on the track, to make sharp turns, etc. The person playing the video is playing with weak AI because it's a track demonstration video - of course weapon play barely matters here. And by what metric do you deem the track design 'terrible'?

Why don't you just log off, and go back to GameFAQs. You're acting like a clown.

You come off as really insecure when you post like this.

Taste is subjective - you can't plausibly suggest that F-Zero has inarguably superior music (for example) because I assure you that many (including myself) genuinely do prefer WipEout's electronic/trance music over F-Zero's (IMO) cheesy rock. On the other hand, I understand and accept that you feel opposite.

I prefer WipEout but it's not at all incomprehensible to me that many people will prefer F-Zero. I can appreciate the different strengths and styles of each franchise. I mean, I can certainly make a case for why WipEout should be considered a better game experience, but I know I'm not going to persuade everyone (or even anyone, necessarily) and I'm not going to be crass enough to suggest that the things I like are 'superior in every way' to the things other people like.

It baffles me that so many people feel they can only explain why they like a franchise by shitting on the other franchise - and the fans of the other franchise - rather than set out a case for the game they love.

I mean, does anyone, on either side of this discussion, really believe that the other side are sat there "desperately trying to justify their purchases"? That either game is just a "poor man's version" of the other, rather than its own thing with its own lineage and history and design legacy? I mean, come on now...

Yeah it's a weird complex that's pretty common on gaf sadly lol. People are drawn to the drama I suppose, comparison threads bring out the worst.

Realistically, neither​ franchise is that popular, most in the thread haven't played both, so it's really just tribalism and reaching.

F-Zero but have to force myself to prefer Wipeout now instead since at least that game franchise isn't completely dead, and some of the Steam clones look amazing.

Is there a first person mode in Fzero? I legit don't remember lol.

It's the only way I play in Wipeout, though admittedly, a bit intense in higher ​speed tiers.

https://youtu.be/_wYhLvM7hvo skip to around the 10 minute mark. (Don't know how to do the jump to on mobile)

I remember the barrel rolls spinning the camera along with the ship, which is crazy disorienting :D

Synth

Is there a first person mode in Fzero? I legit don't remember lol.

It's the only way I play in Wipeout, though admittedly, a bit intense in higher ​speed tiers.

https://youtu.be/_wYhLvM7hvo skip to around the 10 minute mark. (Don't know how to do the jump to on mobile)

I remember the barrel rolls spinning the camera along with the ship, which is crazy disorienting :D

Yea, F-Zero (at least GX) has a first-person view. Never been much fond of it though tbh. I only really like first person for WipEout in 2097 also.

Yea, F-Zero (at least GX) has a first-person view. Never been much fond of it though tbh. I only really like first person for WipEout in 2097 also.

Now we're talking lol. Though I'm not sure how easy it would be to play an Fzero in first person, in regards to the track hopping.

Synth

Now we're talking lol. Though I'm not sure how easy it would be to play an Fzero in first person, in regards to the track hopping.

It's not really any more difficult to play than standard in general. I can imagine some of the snaking and glitches it would be less than ideal for, but it's perfectly viable for standard play.

Not only is it just as easy to fuck up in WipEout at high speeds, it's actually far more likely that the player will (constantly), as the handling is far more momentum-based than F-Zero's, which is why it's comparatively difficult to find flawless WipEout runs, than it is for F-Zero, where navigating the track is comparatively trivial and is more of a case of the player then daring themselves to push further. Hell, WipEout's often criticized because less adept players don't get a decent feeling of speed because they're too busy pinballing off every corner. On rails is a ridiculous way to describe WipEout, and basically just indicates that you have no idea how it plays... it's not like Ridge Racer by any means.

The video of Pulse was posted purely for aesthetic reasons. It's quite clearly not supposed to show WipEout played at the highest standard (as opposed to you posting a record run for F-Zero GX). Whilst the advanced techniques of WipEout differ from those of F-Zero, you can also fly off the track in WipEout and then land back on it. This is usually accomplished by using the tracks undulation rather than steering off the side though, as WipEout will typically have barriers on the sides of courses, and F-Zero generally lacks the same level of undulation in its track, or the nuanced control over your ship's pitch to utilize them in the same way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gioV_OXpoQ8

Also in both games you're attached to a magnetized track, which is what allows for tracks like De Konstruct to exist, where the floor of one section of track is the ceiling for another.
hqdefault.jpg

You can't "race on any side of a structure" in F-Zero unless that is the specifically designed tube or corkscrew segments.

In regards to the games being fluid.. the sideshifting mechanic used to sharper turns at higher speeds, along with the techniques people use to gain air for a barrel roll cause newer WipEout games to be a lot more jittery, and less smooth than the earlier games. I certainly wouldn't award F-Zero any major points in this regards either with its super twitchy handling (snaking) and erratic mid-air physics. No other WipEout games - or any F-Zero games, period - come close to the fluidity and grace that you get from competent play in Wipeout 2097 or Wip3out, and that's in spite of them being 30 (or 25 for PAL) fps. It looks like a fucking ship doing ballet it's so beautiful, lol. The only other racer in existence that I'd say has a handling system as beautifully flawless is Daytona USA.
Thanks for the thoughtful post. I hear what you're saying; it's funny because actually the fluidity you're talking about in Wipeout is actually a downside to me. Nintendo has always had this gravity-defying sense of mid-air control going back to SMB1 that, sloppy, unpredictable, and unrealistic as it may be, I have come to quite prefer. The 30fps, which I hadn't mentioned but I appreciate you bringing up, is also worth a mention. Even though it's totally insane to expect to be able to, there is something kind of awesome about practically turning on a dime mid-air in F-Zero and having the game snap into action so responsively. And I still feel like you're largely trench-racing most of the time in Wipeout. You can track hop and catch air, yes, but it feels a little pre-ordained and on rails compared to the absolute insanity of F-Zero jumps.

None of this is to say I haven't had a great time playing Wipeout. When it came out for PSP I couldn't believe the experience I was getting in a handheld, and for Playstation owners it was a must-play franchise that I embraced fully. But it always felt less fun and stimulating at the end of the day. I'm trying my best to put my finger on why that is. Appreciate the breakdowns. :)

giphy.gif

Maybe because you clearly have never played a Wipeout game? I mean, maybe, that could be a reason? Potentially? Who knows. It could be.
Your posts are shitty and you add nothing to this discussion.

Myriadis

I have played games in both series and I like both, no question.
However, if I have to choose one, F-Zero is my jam, especially since GX exists, which is the GOAT racing game for me.
Both series go for a different asthetic - while Wipeout goes for a pure sterile futuristic style, F-Zero goes for a more personal action comic style which I prefer. The soundtrack in both is ace and I preferred it in Wipeout for the PSX era, but I enjoy the GX soundtrack overall more. Gameplay? F-Zero feels a bit more frantic but Wipeout isn't easy either. There are big differences between both games gameplay-wise so it's hard to compare but overall I'd still say F-Zero.
What Wipeout clearly has over F-Zero now is that at least there's a HD collection out there while there's nada for F-Zero.

All in all, both great series, and I hope that we'll see more of them.

Zezz

Banned
I prefer Wipeout's aesthetic but F-Zero's feel.
Many prefer F zero’s aesthetic. Fact.

Gameplay: F-Zero
Style, courses, music, everything else: Wipeout
Gameplay,Style, courses, music, everything else: F Zero. Fact.

Wipeout. Easily.
F Zero is better.

One series has a game coming out in 2017, one doesn't
You mean one series that has a game in 2017 that was complete trash vs a series that has better racing games ever since the release in 1990 to present.

Wipeout by an absolute mile, no doubt.

With Wipeout it's not just the gameplay itself. It's the all round aesthetic: the neon contrails, the iconic 90s electronic soundtrack, the amazing Designers Republic artwork. Everything about it is a perfect fit.
And here I say that you knowcnkthing. F Zero by an absolute mile crushes wipeout. That game has better lush colorful controls, the iconic techno mixed with 90s soundtrack, beautiful and iconic artwork. Everything is more perfect in that game than Wipeout.

I used to like fzero quite a bit, especially on snes and​ the one made by Sega , GX, buy overall Wipeout is the better franchise.
No way dude. F Zero is the better franchise.

WipEout is a better franchise than F-Zero and it's not even close.

HOWEVER

F-Zero GX is perfect. It's the only arcade racer I would ever put above WipEout HD/Fury for any reason.
F Zero is a better franchise than Wipeout, that’s a fact and it’s not close. And F Zero GX is NOT the only arcade Racer people would put above Wipeout HD/Fury. What are you even saying. F Zero is the better franchise than Wipeout and that is a fact.

Last edited:

Zezz

Banned
I have played games in both series and I like both, no question.
However, if I have to choose one, F-Zero is my jam, especially since GX exists, which is the GOAT racing game for me.
Both series go for a different asthetic - while Wipeout goes for a pure sterile futuristic style, F-Zero goes for a more personal action comic style which I prefer. The soundtrack in both is ace and I preferred it in Wipeout for the PSX era, but I enjoy the GX soundtrack overall more. Gameplay? F-Zero feels a bit more frantic but Wipeout isn't easy either. There are big differences between both games gameplay-wise so it's hard to compare but overall I'd still say F-Zero.
What Wipeout clearly has over F-Zero now is that at least there's a HD collection out there while there's nada for F-Zero.

All in all, both great series, and I hope that we'll see more of them.
Bull.

F Zero goes for a pure sterile futuristic personal action comic style. Most prefer the soundtrack of F Zero series more than Wipeout. wipeout doesnt have anything over F Zero and the Hd collection doesn’t make it better. Also there ARE games for F Zero.

alienator

I just recently played Wipeout on psVR its amazing. i havent played F-zero since gamecube times, but thats the best f-zero ever made and it has been dead ever since. Not even Nintendo cares for it anymore. I just love both games and the rivalry between some people here is absolutely hilarious to read.

Wipeout was a HUGE thing back when it was released on psx, demostations in clubs, massive artists supporting it with a killer ost. gameplay easy to jump in and hard to master. F-zero on n64 is nice and the gamecube version is fantastic but the snes and gba versions are hardly playable anymore (for me, im old.) i can still pickup wipeout on the psx and have a great time aswell.

I like both series, and I grew up with F-ZERO, but I kinda prefer Psygnosis at the peak of their creative period. Honestly, WipE'out" and its sequel mean much more to me than F-ZERO and F-ZERO X - even though they are great games in their own right.

Zezz

Banned
Wipeout HD/Fury is better than any F-Zero game. Then again, personally, I don't like how F-Zero X controls (and GX controls about the same), the vehicles just slide around too easily, they have a serious case of oversteering. I actually like the original F-Zero the best in that franchise, to be honest.
Fuck you. all F Zero games are better than ANY Wipeout game. F Zero controls fine, (GX controls are not the same) the vehicles don’t slide around easily and they don’t have a serious case of oversteering. You’re ignorant if you think the original f Zero is the best. All F Zero games are better than all Wipeout games. All Wipeout games suck ass. Facts.

Zezz

Banned
I like both series, and I grew up with F-ZERO, but I kinda prefer Psygnosis at the peak of their creative period. Honestly, WipE'out" and its sequel mean much more to me than F-ZERO and F-ZERO X - even though they are great games in their own right.
Psygnosis sucks. F Zero and F Zero X means way much more to everyone than Wipeout and it’s sequel. That’s a fact. All F Zero games are great and better. All Wipeout games suck and should burn. Facts.

Top Bottom