• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok we have to talk about price crashes

tebunker

Banned
One thing that confuses me is we're seeing physical games drop a lot faster than digital versions. I would think it should be the other way around assuming profit margins are higher on digital games and it prevents it from being a used title.
No inventory costs with digital. People forget this so often for physical. Working Capital is tied up in inventory so it behooves the retailers to discount and recoup costs as fast as possible.

Especially in a heavily crowded holiday release period.

You also make the assumption that companies are willing to give up a lot of those higher margins. They are banking on some people goig for convenience over price with digital purchases. Sure there are sales but don't expect those prices to come down but every so often.

Also and I will reiterate again, Publishers have made their money off the physical releases before you even buy the game off a shelf. This is why they push preorders so much. The more you preorder, the higher the retailer orders are and the more money they get. Sure they want sales beyond that to push re-orders and catalog orders but honestly they know they get the bulk of revenue from those upfront sell ins. This also allows for early discounting or rebates to goose re-orders.

Kill3r7

For games that had major price drops within a month of release this Fall:

Final Fantasy XV: $35
Battlefield 1: $35
Titanfall 2: $35
Dishonored 2: $20
Dead Rising 4: $40
Watch Dogs 2: $40
Paper Mario: Color Splash: $40
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare: $35

If we go slightly over a month, we can add:

Gears of War 4: $30
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: $20
Forza Horizon: $30
Mafia III: $35

Standard US retail launch price is $60.

It would actually probably be faster to list the games that haven't went on deep discounts within 1-2 months tops.

A couple of minor corrections. FFXV was on sale for $30 (X1) BF at Newegg and yes I realize that is prior to release. BF1 and TF2 were both on sale on Amazon lighting deals/Walmart for $27. DEMD was on sale for $40 at BB/Walmart/Amazon within a month of release. If you include PC sales/gray market then just about all those titles were on sale shortly after release.

wapplew

I don't worry about big publisher case that games as service model.
We've been there, on PC. The MMO bubble, the MOBA bubble, eventually many will fail and they will come back to make smaller games just like many smaller size PC game making a come back.
Besides, we still have console first party making games to push library diversity, Nintendo still making Zelda and Mario, Sony with its narrative driven and experimental stuff.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
The hard truth is that software is devalued and commoditized enough now that its value is shifting to how it can be leveraged into other revenue streams.

Originally, it was Steam Sales moving the channel from retail to digital, leveraging the software to cement the storefront.

Forever full-priced DLC.

iOS market appeared and devalued software further, and development tools went from expensive and proprietary to widespread, popularized, and revenue-generating.

Micro-transaction funnels, where the real money is made, took over when ANY MONEY for software in an initial purchase became unacceptable on mobile.

Subscription services like Gold or PS Plus, where hopeful indie studio games come free to move the subscription.

Software is a feature now, not the main product. You can't buy it, from Adobe, or most other vendors. You subscribe.

One thing that confuses me is we're seeing physical games drop a lot faster than digital versions. I would think it should be the other way around assuming profit margins are higher on digital games and it prevents it from being a used title.

I think there's a few factors at play here:

- Retail shops are motivated to drop prices on physical items faster because retail space costs money. The spaces reserved for "dead" retail is preventing something else from taking it's place For digital distribution, distributors (Steam, Sony, Microsoft, etc) really only pay for bandwidth.

- There are way more competitors in the physical space than the digital. Gamestop competes with Target which competes with WalMart which competes with Best Buy (which competes with a hundred other stores) and they all compete with Amazon. Amazon, being very willing to loss lead, undercuts the brick and mortar stores to get your business and into their system... Similar to how convenience stores undercut super markets on items like milk, in the hopes that you'll also buy a lottery ticket or candy bar. There are relatively very few competitors in the digital market. In the console space, they all go through Microsoft and Sony. Even if you buy a digital code from Amazon (which I absolutely love, BTW), it's really just a pass through to the MS & Sony storefronts. PC is a little more diverse, with Steam, Games for Windows, GoG, and the numerous other digital services, but PC is a different market altogether because PC retail really doesn't exist much anymore.

Unicorn

This is the market at work, man. Choice and rate of release means most consumers can't keep up anyway, let alone with being there day one.

The mixture of games dropping so quickly in price and gamers being cheaper yet with higher standards is not a good combination for the industry, that's for sure. Eventually gamers either are going to have to lower their standard for cheaper games or raise how much they're willing to pay for higher quality games, as this is getting to a point of being unhealthy.

Im more along the line of people aint ready for the hangover from this bout of drinking and reverie and it IS coming.

Chris1

I think a big part of it is all games being down massively except battlefield and publishers panicking.

As for bf then that's ea being ea. Ever since ea access their games have dropped in price extremely fast. Could even be before that but I've noticed it since ea access

border

Exactly what "price crashes" are you talking about? Need specifics here.

Because October/November games have always dropped to $40-45 around Black Friday. Assassin's Creed always sees a big markdown.

Call of Duty and Madden always go on sale around Black Friday.

It's the holiday season -- publisher want to sell in volume to people who will not be buying games until next Christmas.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Most software sales numbers are showing significant year-over-year decline. These are long-term forces at play.

Chris1

Because October/November games have always dropped to $40-45 around Black Friday. Assassin's Creed always sees a big markdown.

It's the holiday season -- publisher want to sell in volume to people who will not be buying games until next Christmas.
Don't know about us but in UK cod has been 25ish quid since a week after launch and hadn't really gone up in price.

Cod has never a) dropped in price that fast b) stayed on sale for almost 2 months now and c) as far as I know, gone as cheap as that this gen even on black friday

Barring my favourite series I've never bought close to launch, usually a few months later at least and it isn't even a 'it's not worth £40 to me' thing most of the time.
I just have other games to play and still have older games on my wishlist so when I wanna buy a new game it makes sense to grab one from my wishlist that's likely already as low as it will go price-wise unless I really wanna play a certain game.

It does skew your perception of the value of games though, makes it harder to pay more as time goes on. For an extreme example I got Fallout 3 & New Vegas goty editions for under £4 each and have spent well over 200 hundred hours in them - kinda makes justifying paying £30+ for a game I'm not certain I'll love and might only last me 10-20hours a tall order

You do seem to be right that prices are dropping quicker then ever though, seems some of these games are getting the same price drop in weeks that used to take months.
I think it's been a long time coming though, the pricing structure is going to have to adapt and we're already seeing signs of change with the increasing inclusion of microtransactions & 'games as a service'
Neither of which I'm a fan of tbh.

Takuan

I haven't paid MSRP for a game in like, 5+ years - and I'm getting them at launch. There will always be people willing to pay a premium for immediate gratification, even when cheaper alternatives exist.

All I know is my wallet's happy.
kttcoliyeshrug

Kill3r7

Up until Ghosts COD just about never went on sale during BF. It is actually a sign of the times changing. See https://www.bfads.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24125 for example. BLOPS 2 BF selling at full price.

Yawnier

Banned
I seldom have bought games day 1 in Sept/Oct/Nov for the past 5 years or so now, but I'm a pretty patient person as well and have a decent backlog that I have been trudging through. I usually wait for black friday or boxing week sales (Idk if you guys have boxing week sales after Xmas in the US).

Don't release everything in a 2 month period right before a holiday that everyone knows will have heavy discounts. Consumers are getting smarter. Also my opinion is that the focus on online only and mp games is pushing more casual consumers away from gaming.

Joni

I feel sorry for these big corporations that have millions of dollars a year in profit. I'm worried about them.

People worry because this affects their output. These companies have all reduced their experiments. Look at EA this generation compared to the previous one.

Top Bottom