• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami - IGN review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/733/733122p1.html

WOW

9.0 Presentation
Great and informative menu layouts, impressive story and fantastic dialog. Plenty of load points, though most aren't overly long.
9.5 Graphics
Stunning. That's all there is to say.
8.5 Sound
Great soundtrack to perfectly blend with the world. Voices are just mumbles but sort of works.
9.0 Gameplay
The Celestial Brush makes the game and works brilliantly. Most battles are entirely too easy, unfortunately.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
Lengthy main quest with tons of extra stuff to find.
Outstanding OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Okami is a game we've been waiting on for a long, long time, and for the most part it has lived up to our extremely high expectations. It's beautiful, charismatic, engaging and one of the most original games you'll play anytime soon. Sure, it's not perfect, and we may have picked on some of its flaws a bit more than usual simply because they're a little more obvious when everything around them is so great. All in all, Okami is a game that any self-respecting PlayStation 2 owner should pick up simply because you've never played anything like it before.

manxor

Awesome!
Game will be mine soon. :D

Now if they could just bring some version of this to the Wii or DS... the style of input would be perfect for those systems.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
manxor said:
Awesome!

Now if they could just bring some version of this to the Wii or DS... the style of input would be perfect for those systems.

Oh dear lord...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
manxor said:
Awesome!

Nice job

roddickandydu8.jpg

nataku

I got the OPM with the demo on it in the mail a couple days ago and played through it. Amazing game.

The "voices" annoy the crap out of me though. The one for the little fairy guy is way too high pitched and squeaky. :( Good thing you can skip them just by hitting X.

I just picked up Yakuza, and Okami is going to rock. Hell, the only other title I really want this fall is current gen (Zelda).

"Nintendoo iz retarted kartoon graphix!"

Isn't that what all the morons said about WindWaker? Sorry for beating a dead horse but everyone acts like cel shading is the "shizznet" and that games look more stylistic with it. Lol. High end graphix! 50000000 cpus!

djkimothy

Between this, Final Fantasy 12 and God of War 2. PS2 is going out with a bang. Oh, and Yakuza as well.

Damn it, bad time to be unemployed!

EBCubs03

Banned
Wario64 said:
All in all, Okami is a game that any self-respecting PlayStation 2 owner should pick up simply because you've never played anything like it before.

I have.

The japanese version

CrushDance said:
"Nintendoo iz retarted kartoon graphix!"

Isn't that what all the morons said about WindWaker? Sorry for beating a dead horse but everyone acts like cel shading is the "shizznet" and that games look more stylistic with it. Lol. High end graphix! 50000000 cpus!
Come again?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a PS2 just for this. Well, this and all the other games that I've missed out on, but especially Okami.

Teleporter

I`ve been waiting for this game for a long time! No is nearly over and with a review like this it cant go wrong! Also gonna be my last PS2 purchase i think, i hope the PS3 will play this games (Okami, SOTC, MGseries, God of war!) on it flawlessly...

White Man said:
If Okami were retitled Zelda, it would've scored about .8 points higher.

Amen. I am not looking forward to Twilight Princess; Okami is the Zelda-to-beat-Zelda this year. Capcom shows Nintendo how it's done once more!

This is to karmically balance all the "better on Wii!" comments in this thread.

...even though it would be better on Wii. :(

...better than Twilight Princess on Wii! :)

mugwhump

djkimothy said:
Between this, Final Fantasy 12 and God of War 2. PS2 is going out with a bang. Oh, and Yakuza as well.

Damn it, bad time to be unemployed!
Hey. Tales of the Abyss belongs up there too, from EVERYTHING I've heard about it.

Edit:
IGN said:
In other words, Clover Studio has done a great job of making the game's events feel much bigger then just you and Orochi (the game's 8-headed protagonist), even if some of the missions don't seem to tie directly in.
Villians are called antagonists. :|

Something about the review I'd like to hear about: the diffuculty. I remember reading early impressions and in general it seemed the game was regarded as being easy. IGN review says the same. The thing is just how easy is it. I love Capcom games, I love how diffucult they are. I wouldn't expect Viewtiful Joe/Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts/Godhand level of crazyness but a good challenge would be appreciated. I just don't want the game to be boring is all...

Holtz said:
This shall be mine day one. Just need to finish Yakuza first. :D

Same boat as you, I still need to finish Yakuza, will do so probably tomorrow.

Awesome score, did we expect any different :D

The one bummer is that Okami comes out the day before TGS, its going to be hard to concentrate on the game with all comotion.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
IGN gave higher scores to GTA and Halo too. No need to single out Zelda, guyz.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wario64 said:
Okami plays nothing like GTA or Halo

Yeah, I know. But I mean you can't assume this has to do with bias. I mean, it's not like Matt rated this game.

When a hyped up FPS doesn't score as high as Halo, do people call bias too?

Enough Zelda comparisons. Yes Okami is excellent but its not Zelda, nothing can compare to Zelda. Just be happy we have two awesome games that have wolves in them this year.

MiamiWesker said:
Enough Zelda comparisons. Yes Okami is excellent but its not Zelda, nothing can compare to Zelda. Just be happy we have two awesome games that have wolves in them this year.
No one is saying it's Zelda. They are saying it is better than Zelda. :O :O

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I said it back in May, and I'll say it again. Okami is the best game made this generation.

shpankey

not an idiot
for some reason, my PSM that has this demo disk on it, won't boot up. i'd love to get to try out this demo. anyone have any ideas?

is it really fair to compare Okami and Zelda? that's like trying to claim that GoW is better than RE4 and that RE4 is better than GoW. it's just not worth it since they're both representations of a "higher gaming experience."

I'm saying: When Nintendo showed Wind Waker, a lot of people bitched about it and said Nintendo was kiddy. Yet we clearly see that games can be very stylish, smooth, and offer great gameplay while being cell shaded. You don't need 5,000 cpu's and gpu's to enjoy something. Now people are all like "wow, this is how a game should be like" and all this crap. Pfft. Sorry but it really pisses me off how people always diss Nintendo then as soon as someone else does it, "Revolutionary!"

Top Bottom