• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami : Wii or PS2?

Raistlin

dark10x said:
No no no, it's like every other 16:9 mode on a 480p console. You're still displaying a 4:3 pixel resolution (640x480) and changing the aspect ratio. The actual visuals will not appear stretched, but the pixels will be (resulting in image quality loss).

When viewing that same image in a 4:3 window, you are compressing the pixels.

Now, if you are playing on a 4:3 TV and engage a 16:9 squeeze, then the opposite would occur and the 16:9 window would sport superior image quality for the same reasons.

???

I'm not disputing that Okami does the above (plenty of games do) ... but I was under the impression there are some WVGA console games?

No?

StevieP

Banned
dark10x said:
Despite the fact that it doesn't support 480p, the PS2 version in 4:3 mode is still likely to sport superior image quality to the stretched 16:9 Wii version (unless your TV has a very poor de-interlacer).

480i 4:3 vs 480p 4:3? Yeah, 480i should be superior.

theultimo

Onix said:
???

I'm not disputing that Okami does the above (plenty of games do) ... but I was under the impression there are some WVGA console games?

No?
Not in theory, 480p just does not have enough pixels for "true" widescreen. Its like an anamorphic DVD.

if you have a ps3, the ps2 version is probably a better bet. upscaling and a lot of people dont know the ps2 version has an LCD mode that dramatically improves the quality.

theultimo

Riskbreaker23 said:
if you have a ps3, the ps2 version is probably a better bet. upscaling and a lot of people dont know the ps2 version has an LCD mode that dramatically improves the quality.
Still a bit off with no Widescreen mode though. I am getting the Wii one (had PS2 at launch of game) just for that.

EDarkness

What I find funny is that people have been asking for a Wii version of this game for a long time. We finally get a Wii version, and no people are saying there was no reason for a Wii version. I can't help but shake my head. I hope companies simply ignore this sort of thing in the future. Just leave the previous version as it is. People don't really want a new version as the new one very rarely lives up to what they expect.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I think that video review may have just sealed the deal.

Anyone interested in a PS2 copy of Okami? :)

Riskbreaker23 said:

I do have a PS3 but the thing that bothers me the most about it is that it is NOT backwards compatible with my PS2 games. Thanks for bringing that up. :p

Evlar

Banned
EDarkness said:
What I find funny is that people have been asking for a Wii version of this game for a long time. We finally get a Wii version, and no people are saying there was no reason for a Wii version. I can't help but shake my head. I hope companies simply ignore this sort of thing in the future. Just leave the previous version as it is. People don't really want a new version as the new one very rarely lives up to what they expect.
I'm going to blow your mind here. Grab on to your seat, this will be epic.

The people complaining about Okami Wii are generally not the same people who begged for Okami Wii.

Wrap your head around that. I'll give you some time.

YagizY

Honestly, like I said earlier, if you don't mind some waggle here and there Okami Wii is superior.

Widescreen + 480p is how this game is meant to be played. It's a game that relies heavily on visuals so why not get the version with the highest video quality.

Wii Version: Better Paint Brush mechanic, 480p, Widescreen
PS2 Version: um, no waggle? Paper effect is better? Who are we kidding, the Wii version has the better extras.

YagizY

Truelize said:
What???? :lol I don't need it for both the PS2 and the Wii.

Welcome to GAF, where you need 3 copies of every game

1. SEALED COLLECTORS ITEM!@!!!1!!
2. Copy you play
3. Copy you debate playing that you keep sealed for a "rainy day"

EDarkness

The Sphinx said:
I'm going to blow your mind here. Grab on to your seat, this will be epic.

The people complaining about Okami Wii are generally not the same people who begged for Okami Wii.

Wrap your head around that. I'll give you some time.

Oh, I don't doubt it. Though, there are some people who did want a Wii version who are complaining about it now.. It's not 100% in either direction. I'm being general of course, which I'm sure you figured out when you responded. If that didn't include you, that's great. Doesn't change the fact that there are people who wanted the game to be made and are now complaining about it.

Icarus

I'm voting for the Wii... reviews have swayed me especially that video review above. Il'l get it tomorrow, or maybe wednesday depending upon when my preorder comes in, and post some impressions.

btkadams

just play it, u wont get that much money for the ps2 version, just play it. the wii version isnt very different to warrant losing money on a trade-in IMO

The Hermit

drohne said:
just play the ps2 version -- the wii version doesn't seem to get the watercolor aesthetic quite right, and its controls are controversial at best. it seems like RAD have done a fine job with the port, given the circumstances, but it's hard to see how they could've improved on clover's realized vision

edit: i've said it before, but i don't know why people consider oversaturated colors an improvement -- in fact you can oversaturate any game's colors as much as you like with the 'color' setting on your tv, and there's a reason you don't. anyway okami deliberately goes for a desaturated watercolor look

After watching some Ps2 videos, I think that´s quite correct. The dessaturation makes the game look like a book or a drawing and that´s pretty much what Clover wanted.

Since I don´t own a PS2(yeah, I know) I will get the Wii version, but I recommend the Ps2 version.
Visually it´s better and you don´t have the controlls debacle. Also its the orignal version.

I say go with the PS2 version. The brush on the Wii version might be better, but all the brush strokes were designed around an analog stick, so they work almost flawless on the PS2 already.

Phthisis

After playing both, I find the PS2 version to have better controls. Also, the big deal about the parchment texture overlay was blown way out of proportion. It may different, but it's tough to tell.

Mirimar

Phthisis said:
After playing both, I find the PS2 version to have better controls. Also, the big deal about the parchment texture overlay was blown way out of proportion. It may different, but it's tough to tell.

Did they take out the saved charge mechanic in the Wii version or is it still intact? That is, if you got far enough to get a sword in the Wii one. I liked being able to save a full charge for a later battle.

Mirimar said:
Did they take out the saved charge mechanic in the Wii version or is it still intact? That is, if you got far enough to get a sword in the Wii one. I liked being able to save a full charge for a later battle.
Please elaborate. What is a "saved charge"?

Mirimar

U K Narayan said:
Please elaborate. What is a "saved charge"?

If you had a sword equipped as a sub, it allowed you to charge the weapon. Downside was that it held you in place for the charge. However, there was a way to make it so that you could use that charge whenever you wanted. You charge the sub weapon either halfway or fully, then you either jump or use the dodge skill. Doing that allowed you to keep the charge while still staying mobile. So, you could basically combo in the sub charge with your primary weapon.

The really cool thing was that this worked even after battle finished. So, while you're getting your stats/bonus money, you could charge the sub again, jump/dodge, and the charge would be there. Next time you got into another battle, that charge is still there to use. It's the biggest reason I stopped using reflectors in the game, Dual sword charged kicked ass.

IzumiK

Banned
I tried beating the doggy bosses when you're near finished the game on a Wii Okami version without time stop.

I couldn't do it. The Wiimote controls aren't as tight and fast like a real controller.

Innotech

Banned
IzumiK said:
I tried beating the doggy bosses when you're near finished the game on a Wii Okami version without time stop.

I couldn't do it. The Wiimote controls aren't as tight and fast like a real controller.
hurrr

Jigsaw

Banned
ps2 version on ps3 is the best

it looks gorgeous with the AA filter (i know it's no real anti aliasing,but it gets rid of the aliasing,so it's anti aliasing at all :p )

however,i let my hdtv stretch all the 4:3 games to fullscreen,the ps3 sadly doesn't support this mode yet (i dont know how it's called,but only the left & right part of the screen get stretched,the centre not,so it wont result in unproportional stretched characters like when the ps3 stretch it...so,okami ps2 looks really nice in this fake 16:9,i hope sony will add this mode at one time or another)

Soule

People really emphasize the paper filter effect, was it THAT good? I didn't play the PS2 version, will probs pick up the Wii version but I thought it looked better without it (maybe I'm just being fooled by the vibrant colours) judging by the screens I've looked at :\ That said I'm a sad panda for not having a widescreen TV :(

Innotech

Banned
Soule said:
People really emphasize the paper filter effect, was it THAT good? I didn't play the PS2 version, will probs pick up the Wii version but I thought it looked better without it (maybe I'm just being fooled by the vibrant colours) judging by the screens I've looked at :\ That said I'm a sad panda for not having a widescreen TV :(
you barely notice the paper effect in the Ps2 game.

EDarkness

Soule said:

I played the PS2 version and didn't notice it. I don't think it really matters in the end.

Soule

Well I'm not sure whether it's the weakened paper filter, colours or whatever but from what I've seen (admittedly not very much) the Wii version is much more visually appealing to me.

StevieP

Banned
IzumiK said:

You weren't even stealth about it this time.
People just watch that video review. The only bit of waggle that's dodgy in this game is the dodge move. Everything else seems to work fine, and in all other cases is better than the original version. At least, that's the way it looks in motion.

ethelred

StevieP said:
You weren't even stealth about it this time.
People just watch that video review. The only bit of waggle that's dodgy in this game is the dodge move. Everything else seems to work fine, and in all other cases is better than the original version. At least, that's the way it looks in motion.

Why do you keep trying to convince people based on a video? Can't you wait until the game is out and people who've played both versions can give their assessment?

StevieP

Banned
ethelred said:
Why do you keep trying to convince people based on a video? Can't you wait until the game is out and people who've played both versions can give their assessment?

Yes, the same way you can wait to play both versions before you respond in this thread. Clearly that isn't the case. We're judging on what evidence we have, and judging only by the video footage, it seems that aside from Zelda-style waggle attacks and dodgy dodge detection on the nunchuck, the new version enhances the experience.

ethelred

StevieP said:
Yes, the same way you can wait to play both versions before you respond in this thread.

Wait... so me responding that the better course is to wait for the game to come out so more people can do a hands on evaluation/comparison of both games is equivalent to posting that people should definitely get one version over the other? And I need to have played both versions in order to say that people should wait until both versions have been played to decide?

So confusing...

In any event, I stand by what I said back in February the last time someone asked the question.

StevieP said:
We're judging on what evidence we have, and judging only by the video footage...

There's no need to make a prejudgement based on shoddy evidence when it's just as easy to be patient and wait for a real hands on.

EDarkness

ethelred said:
There's no need to make a prejudgement based on shoddy evidence when it's just as easy to be patient and wait for a real hands on.

I may not agree with Ethelred that often, but I think he's wise in this statement. We'll know in a few days how both version stack up to each other, and I have a feeling there will be people on both sides of the fence, but to call one or the other now wouldn't make any sense as we haven't really played both versions yet.

Lobster

Banned
The Wii version doesn't have online, Mii Support or WiiConnect24.

Do you really want to risk these features and get the Wii version?

Whichever platform you decided to buy it on..buy it. Atleast game gets 1+ sales

I'm getting the Wii version..

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Ironballs said:
Wii version.

If you were going to buy it on PS2, you should have done that 2 years ago. Support the game.
The correct answer.
I was about to recommend the PS2 version until I read this.

Ironballs said:
Wii version.

If one was considering purchasing it on PS2, they should have done that 2 years ago. Support the game.

I have to disagree.
"Buy it for the wii to support the game" can also be translated to "buy for wii and support half assed shoveled ports"

Most reviews seem to lean to the PS2 version also.
If you can get the PS2 version (or already have it) stay with it, love it and molest it daily.
If you can not find the PS2 version or do not have a PS2 get the wii version.
The most important thing is no matter which you get you MUST get Okami.
It is one of those games that five years from now people on message boards will still be talking about fondly and pulling out to play.

Top Bottom