• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, new to the thread. I've been looking into all this online dating stuff, and OKC looks pretty good for a free site, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with eharmony or geek2geek? I just need to know what I'm getting into here.
See that photo above your post for a geek2geek success story.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's super sad that people think unhealthy/crazy behavior such as Ashodin's (and his girlfriend) is a success story worthy of praise.

The "success" of that story will be defined by how their relationship and individual mental/life status is in 10 years. Right now, you can't tell. It's either an amazingly good story, or an amazingly bad story.

dralla

Wow, this girl just censored the word "god", I'M SCARED GUYS. I can tell she really wants to meet up too, I think I might invite her over and see if she accepts. She seems a little too eh..nice? for me, but we'll see! This is the nickelback/creed girl btw lol

Wow, this girl just censored the word "god", I'M SCARED GUYS. I can tell she really wants to meet up too, I think I might invite her over and see if she accepts. She seems a little too eh..nice? for me, but we'll see! This is the nickelback/creed girl btw lol

Lol let us know how this goes

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
G*dspeed.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
The date was a success! We've got something in the works for this weekend too. She is as easy to talk to in person as she was via text. She just updated her facebook with 'Tonight was a good night!'.

Met up for the first time with the "do you even lift" girl I've been texting for awhile last night for a couple of drinks. Oh man, she is much more my speed with her sense of humor, plus she's super cute in person. Clicked really well and she texted me this morning saying she dreamt of me. :O

kiryogi

Banned
Met up for the first time with the "do you even lift" girl I've been texting for awhile last night for a couple of drinks. Oh man, she is much more my speed with her sense of humor, plus she's super cute in person. Clicked really well and she texted me this morning saying she dreamt of me. :O

That's fucking awesome!

And to Ashodin. Its' still fucking crazy, but best wishes to you regardless.

Did you ask her if it was dirty?

Smiley90

LOL just got this message, thought it was hilarious and I'd share:

Hi.
I'm an asshole who led you to believe the girl in the picture is Korean, lives in Surrey, named Darlene, and can cook.
I stole her picture.
Her real name's Trishie and I'm her shitty friend.
She found out and is standing behind me, making me send this to all 157 people who visited "Darlene"'s profile and apologize.

Sorry.

-Kim Jiho

looooooooooool

dralla

You should reply back to 'Trishie' though, just keep the convo going, pretend like nothing happened.

welp, I asked to see if nickelback girl was free tonight, only problem is, I don't know what her name is lol I never asked, she'll introduce her self if/when me meet though, I HOPE.

I think I might like this new girl at work though and I'm pretty sure I saw her checking me out. I need to find out if she has a BF, if no, IM GOING IN

welp, I asked to see if nickelback girl was free tonight, only problem is, I don't know what her name is lol I never asked, she'll introduce her self if/when me meet though, I HOPE.

I think I might like this new girl at work though and I'm pretty sure I saw her checking me out. I need to find out if she has a BF, if no, IM GOING IN

Just be like, "By the way, my name is... Nice to meet you :)"

use the smiley face, girls love smiley faces

Ultima_5

Last post before I sleep. That about sums it up for the thread I posted, and here's some fill in the blanks to, well, fill in the blanks.

• I went to see her and had a great time.
  • Revealing too much information and/or lurking on GAF without knowing it made D-GAF go nuts
  • After the visit with her (which went amazingly), she came down to see me last month. We drove to our new destination with which she wants to get an apartment with.
  • Just last week, I was flown up again to see her once more, which I proposed to her the day before my birthday (birthday being the 13th).
  • She accepts, and now we are engaged.
  • Happy ending!

Lol. You're a moron. Get a prenup

So at this point, I've sent well over 100 messages. I think I mentioned that I was over 100 earlier in this thread but at that point I was really at about 50. It felt like 100, haha. Out of these 100+ messages I've maybe received 10 responses. Out of those 10 responses, only 2 conversations have lasted for a significant amount of time. Out of those 2, only 1 is still going.

You guys are probably thinking that I must just be terrible at sending messages or something of the sort but I create an original message for each girl I contact and I usually include a question or two about something in their profile or compliment them on similar tastes. If I do get a response, I make sure I type out a decent sized reply that continues to ask questions and answers any that they might've given. I try to make it clear that I'm interested in knowing more about them, without directly saying, "Hey, I want to know more about you."

So my success percentage is extremely low. I haven't even acquired a single phone number yet. I attribute this to having average (maybe below average) looks and geeky tendencies. You guys with 50% response rates must be loving it. More power to you. That must feel great. As for me, if this last girl that I'm currently talking to decides to hang it up, then I'm right back at square one and I think I'll be pretty depressed about it. For now, I'll just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.

For those that are finding people and having success, congrats. At least somebody out there is having some luck.

So at this point, I've sent well over 100 messages. I think I mentioned that I was over 100 earlier in this thread but at that point I was really at about 50. It felt like 100, haha. Out of these 100+ messages I've maybe received 10 responses. Out of those 10 responses, only 2 conversations have lasted for a significant amount of time. Out of those 2, only 1 is still going.

You guys are probably thinking that I must just be terrible at sending messages or something of the sort but I create an original message for each girl I contact and I usually include a question or two about something in their profile or compliment them on similar tastes. If I do get a response, I make sure I type out a decent sized reply that continues to ask questions and answers any that they might've given. I try to make it clear that I'm interested in knowing more about them, without directly saying, "Hey, I want to know more about you."

So my success percentage is extremely low. I haven't even acquired a single phone number yet. I attribute this to having average (maybe below average) looks and geeky tendencies. You guys with 50% response rates must be loving it. More power to you. That must feel great. As for me, if this last girl that I'm currently talking to decides to hang it up, then I'm right back at square one and I think I'll be pretty depressed about it. For now, I'll just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.

For those that are finding people and having success, congrats. At least somebody out there is having some luck.

You know, once I got to a certain point, I just started doing simple messages. The pizza/sushi one. After they respond? Then I ask specific questions about their profile. It saves a lot of time

Pastry

Banned

How long are these conversations lasting? If you're not asking her out by the 5th or 6th message then personally I think you're doing it wrong.

You're not supposed to write detailed responses and you're not supposed to have conversations. You can blame your looks, but I'd first consider if you're just boring them with your inaction.

If you want to know more about a person, why not ask those questions in person on a date?

Smiley90

You're not supposed to write detailed responses and you're not supposed to have conversations. You can blame your looks, but I'd first consider if you're just boring them with your inaction.

If you want to know more about a person, why not ask those questions in person on a date?

Whah, what's wrong with having a conversation? Depends on what you define as conversation, of course. I'd like to just find out first if the person's nice to talk to and sends back messages that show mutual interest first. Ask for a phone number (aka say "I'd love to talk more, how about we exchange numbers?" Or so) on the 3rd/4th message, then text for a bit, then meet up?

Pastry

Banned
Whah, what's wrong with having a conversation? Depends on what you define as conversation, of course. I'd like to just find out first if the person's nice to talk to and sends back messages that show mutual interest first. Ask for a phone number (aka say "I'd love to talk more, how about we exchange numbers?" Or so) on the 3rd/4th message, then text for a bit, then meet up?

I personally don't like texting before meeting the girl. I'll ask her out and when she says yes I'll establish plans then send her my number so she can contact me if anything pops up beforehand.

Smiley90

I personally don't like texting before meeting the girl. I'll ask her out and when she says yes I'll establish plans then send her my number so she can contact me if anything pops up beforehand.

As long as you don't text too much I feel it's fine. It's easier to make plans than via OKC mail, since not everyone's online all the time.

Yeah, that's about right. Your profiles are there to tell what you want about yourself. Messages are for flirting and getting to a meeting. Then you get a number and meet. Some people overcomplicate this.

Currently talking to three girls who I match up w/ 95%. Should have a meet up planned with at least two of them sometime within the next two weeks.

Funny story, one of them has next to nothing filled out in her profile, but she's so damn snarky I just have to meet her.....

Been on OKCupid for about a year now. Had a few successes, but I've been going through a dry spell. I think it's because I changed my profile to bisexual. :/

Ah, well. Gotta keep on chugging, I guess.

Last post before I sleep. That about sums it up for the thread I posted, and here's some fill in the blanks to, well, fill in the blanks.

• Revealing too much information and/or lurking on GAF without knowing it made D-GAF go nuts
  • After the visit with her (which went amazingly), she came down to see me last month. We drove to our new destination with which she wants to get an apartment with.
  • Just last week, I was flown up again to see her once more, which I proposed to her the day before my birthday (birthday being the 13th).
  • She accepts, and now we are engaged.
  • Happy ending!

I don't understand how people can do this. You really don't know this person and now you're engaged to them?

Out of curiosity, how many girlfriends have you had in your life?

Ashodin

quotemania!

Yeah I did. We went to see the muppets do "We Will Rock You" in her dream, lol. Then she asked me to come over and cuddle. Fuck work sometimes. :S

Dude, she sounds awesome. You should totally keep on that. Having someone dream about you is pretty serious (and she even told you, which is awesome). Some women take dreams about who they fancy to mean they really want to be with them. So you might luck out in that regard.

You should reply back to 'Trishie' though, just keep the convo going, pretend like nothing happened.

FUCKIT IM GOIN DEEP

Lol. You're a moron. Get a prenup

A prenup? for what? All my zero assets? She has the assets, my friend. Ho ho ho

You have to realize that not everyone is on the site all at the same time to respond to your messages. Some will come much later as women on their sift through the stupid comments other idiot guys will send.

It's a waiting game. You must be prepared to wait.

Currently talking to three girls who I match up w/ 95%. Should have a meet up planned with at least two of them sometime within the next two weeks.

Funny story, one of them has next to nothing filled out in her profile, but she's so damn snarky I just have to meet her.....

Awesome man! I'm glad to see you get some responses. Let us know how the dates go!

Been on OKCupid for about a year now. Had a few successes, but I've been going through a dry spell. I think it's because I changed my profile to bisexual. :/

Ah, well. Gotta keep on chugging, I guess.

Just curious but are you messaging just women if you're bisexual? Or both genders? Because I imagine men would respond to you faster than women would. That would probably be sexual drive doing so though. No idea.

I don't understand how people can do this. You really don't know this person and now you're engaged to them?

Out of curiosity, how many girlfriends have you had in your life?

Gotta walk back in this thread so I could drop the knowledge. I've had ample time to get to know my fiancée, it will be three months at the end of March. Everyone RECOMMENDS knowing someone for a long period of time, but it's been shown time and again that it's not necessarily the case, as you can know someone for a month and know they're the one, especially if communication and thoughts traded are transparent. If we have already established a rapport of truthery and love, what is stopping us?

Your second question, I've had over 8 relationships since I was 13 (28 now). So 15 years of my life I've been in some relationship in some form or another. Only about three years of it have I not, which indicates that I prefer the company of women to being alone (as I imagine most men would).

My question of curiosity to you: How many have you had, and what is your "optimum" getting to know someone range? I imagine you'll say some sort of combination of months or years.

How big is the ring? 1.8 carats?

It was 1.5 carats of sapphires. She likes gemstones more than diamonds.

Phew!

How long are these conversations lasting? If you're not asking her out by the 5th or 6th message then personally I think you're doing it wrong.
I haven't even gotten to the 5th or 6th message with all of those except the two that I mentioned as being significant. In both those cases I did ask if they'd like to meet up and continue the conversation in person and both responded with almost the same answer which basically consisted of wanting to wait a bit longer before agreeing to that. In one case, communication stopped completely after a while, and the other is still going on with fairly regular emails going back and forth so I'm really hopeful about this one. She's actually cuter than the first girl anyway so I'm rather excited. Trying not to get my hopes up too much, but we certainly have a lot to talk about. I'm really hoping I get to meet this one in person.

I haven't even gotten to the 5th or 6th message with all of those except the two that I mentioned as being significant. In both those cases I did ask if they'd like to meet up and continue the conversation in person and both responded with almost the same answer which basically consisted of wanting to wait a bit longer before agreeing to that. In one case, communication stopped completely after a while, and the other is still going on with fairly regular emails going back and forth so I'm really hopeful about this one. She's actually cuter than the first girl anyway so I'm rather excited. Trying not to get my hopes up too much, but we certainly have a lot to talk about. I'm really hoping I get to meet this one in person.

Conversations are fine, but you should be moving onto texting or facebook chatting after a few back and forths.

Okcupid CAN be successful.

Honestly though, most of my successes came from girls who messaged me.

It's several times more difficult to message the people I'm actually interested in.

Mostly because it's obvious they are quality which means I somehow have to stand out in hundreds of messages which is damn near impossible.

It's really fucking weird how it all works.

I have a near 100% success rate when I go out and meet people in person and it's almost the complete opposite for online.

If I had more time to go out, I would drop Okcupid all together.

Anyone here been really successful on this site? If so, how do you do it?

Unfortunately I don't have time to read 200+ pages of the thread being in law school.

Okcupid CAN be successful.

Honestly though, most of my successes came from girls who messaged me.

It's several times more difficult to message the people I'm actually interested in.

Mostly because it's obvious they are quality which means I somehow have to stand out in hundreds of messages which is damn near impossible.

It's really fucking weird how it all works.

I have a near 100% success rate when I go out and meet people in person and it's almost the complete opposite for online.

If I had more time to go out, I would drop Okcupid all together.

Anyone here been really successful on this site? If so, how do you do it?

Unfortunately I don't have time to read 200+ pages of the thread being in law school.

In one of the old dating age threads (you can find the archive on the OP of the current one) there's a rule on their for online dating that I treat as sacred:
ONLINE DATING SHOULD BE SUPPLEMENTING DATING GIRLS YOU MEET IRL

It's just a time thing for me and I like that it cuts the BS.
As for success. I've gone out with maybe 10 girls since I've been on it since December? Is that successful?

In one of the old dating age threads (you can find the archive on the OP of the current one) there's a rule on their for online dating that I treat as sacred:
ONLINE DATING SHOULD BE SUPPLEMENTING DATING GIRLS YOU MEET IRL

It's just a time thing for me and I like that it cuts the BS.
As for success. I've gone out with maybe 10 girls since I've been on it since December? Is that successful?

Certainly more successful than me.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and how do you go about it?

Like I said, I just don't have the time to go out and meet people right now. If I did, I wouldn't even be on Okcupid because I literally have almost 100% success when I go out. Very few times have I left without a number and a few dates after if not more. Honestly, most of the time, but not all of the time, I go out and don't get anything is because I didn't find anyone I was interested in.

Total opposite for me online. Could use any advice you got.

Certainly more successful than me.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and how do you go about it?

Total opposite for me online. Could use any advice you got.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414419
There is an online dating section in that post that should help you out. One of the things i'd amend is the part about never using "robotic/generic" messages.

I actually almost always go with a simple question like "pizza or sushi?" (though I've retired that since some girl said some other dude sent her that) but any other simple, casual either or question is fine. It actually stands out from the crowd when you don't write a greeting

Now don't get me wrong, once in awhile I'll stumble upon a girl's profile where I can say something unique or comment on her profile, but I always always always keep it short. You have to realize girls get BOMBARDED with messages so it's gotta stand out in the FIRST sentence you write her cuz in the message center she'll prob only see the first line. If you say something like, "hey, how's it going?" I guarantee she prob got 4-5 other messages exactly like that this week.

Once they respond to the first message, usually I'll try to mention something specific to their profile, or it could simply ask casual stuff like "what kind of fun stuff did you get up to last weekend?" Then move on from there. And try to do something more substantive sooner rather than later, whether it be asking her to go out or just getting her number. You don't wanna chat with some girl for a week then find out she's not interested in going out with you.

That's just my approach, others have success with other methods, so comb through this thread (going backwards) to find what feels good for you

Also, I'm 25, live in Dallas, and am Asian. So I definitely feel like I do pretty well considering a lot of women here will out right dismiss you if you're not white.

Ashodin

From my experience, women tend to enjoy aggressive communications. If you are courageous and bold, it will strike them as exciting, and could elicit a response quite quickly.

Darklord

Banned

• After the visit with her (which went amazingly), she came down to see me last month.

• N2FEP.gif

We drove to our new destination with which she wants to get an apartment with.
    EXMEAUa.gif

[*]Just last week, I was flown up again to see her once more, which I proposed to her the day before my birthday (birthday being the 13th).
    [*]She accepts, and now we are engaged.

HHbfD.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom