• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Alright... I've got a date lined up for tomorrow, and we've been texting hardballs for about a week now. I had to update the text plan on my cellphone today because we've blown through my allotment of texts for March on my old 1,000 texts per month plan. I think it'll be great.

Pastry

Banned
Alright... I've got a date lined up for tomorrow, and we've been texting hardballs for about a week now. I had to update the text plan on my cellphone today because we've blown through my allotment of texts for March on my old 1,000 texts per month plan. I think it'll be great.

Hopefully everything goes great for you but be careful. Chemistry in-person is much different than via texts.

I've run out of things to say. wat do??

Ask her questions. Like what time she sleeps, what floor she lives on, where she lives...but most importantly.....fruits or teddies ;).

Hopefully everything goes great for you but be careful. Chemistry in-person is much different than via texts.

This. Just a matter of personal preference, but you might also want to NOT be available so much in the beginning. I've killed potential relationships off by over-texting the girl...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Yeaaaaaaah.... I'll have to see how that goes, too. Gonna be weird. Any tips for those first dates after online dating? I have no idea. I haven't been on a first date in a while. -cringe-

Yeaaaaaaah.... I'll have to see how that goes, too. Gonna be weird. Any tips for those first dates after online dating? I have no idea. I haven't been on a first date in a while. -cringe-

Goes without saying, but try not to put to much pressure on yourself when you meet the girl the first time. Even if you feel like nothing's there, stay persistent and see if she just takes a while to warm up to people.

Anyone can put up a mask/front online, so it will inevitably be awkward the first time you meet them. Also, this is just personal preference.....hug her when you see her. It will be awkward, but it will help make her comfortable with you.

Anddddd keep it fun and positive. No one likes a Negative Nancy.

Ashodin

Just got back. First things first.

1fV8G.png

Deal with it.

Oh here we go.
You know you love it.

Receipts! (for the ring, and pictures as proof).
Not doing that again. Pretty sure that was what got me banned.

you've known her for like 2 months
My parents (of 35 years) knew each other for only one month.

yo this Ashodin cat is too much
I do like cats

Hah!

I'm trying to think of the right reaction to this, but I can't.
Wellwishes?

Ashodin always delivers.
Glad you think so!

Ashodin noooooooooooooooo

Or, you know, laugh.
Or, you know, be happy for someone.

So when is the baby due? Should be like 7 months from now, right?
She doesn't want kids. Plain and simple.

Surely this time he'll get perma'd if he doesn't deliver, right?
It's not an OT, or a main thread, or whatever. I made that thread because I was extremely happy about seeing her the first time, but I won't make that mistake again.

At this rate a baby will be delivered.
There is no baby. How is babby formed

Congratulations!
I hope all goes well :D
Thank you very much. Everything has been going incredibly crazy well.

I knew there was a reason I came back to this thread.
As others have said, I'm not here to disappoint.

you are getting married. Update over. No need to make a thread, ask for a tag or gif. Keep it in house this time.
Maddocks, you mad bro? I don't mind giving out information about what has gone on since then (within reason, of course, now).

Oh, Ashodin.

Also, I've been waiting for the conclusion to this for two months. It's already more amazing than expected.
Lissar, it's better than you can even imagine. Last night we had a discussion before sleep about Descent (the pc game) and looked up old ass youtube descent videos to get the music right.

Oh shit, so happy I just decided to stroll in here. Glad to see you still have all your organs (or do you?)

All my organs are intact, though having indian food with her parents was triggering the ol' iron stomach.

Proposed? After a couple months?
Marriages of all kinds can flourish regardless of when they happen.

Looks like Ashodin really likes getting banned.
I'm not looking to make the same mistake twice.

So are you gonna get a job now, it has been what, 2-3 years? Or you plan to stick to the 'full time stars wars online rpg player' gig while she works all day?
I actually have things all lined up. Jobs, work, everything. I'm still working on my game development, too.

Oh, Ashodin. For some reason, I thought you got a perma banned. Welcome back!
Nope, it was a temp, and I wish I could have updated earlier than I would have liked. A lot of people were spot on that it looked like I was hovering the thread - I actually left the phone on NeoGAF while I was more interested in just having a good time, so it looked like I was idling there. Bad move.

Never had a chance to meet or talk to you before, but I have heard about your epic story....anyways congrats and welcome back!

Thanks! I never set out to make an epic story. I just wanted a simple blog thread (essentially) about how my story to visit someone turned out. If it turned out bad, I was going to post it regardless. I just wanted to share, and apparently shared too much.

Every bump I see I'm hoping it's Ashodin giving an update.
Your update is here!

Ashodin

Last post before I sleep. That about sums it up for the thread I posted, and here's some fill in the blanks to, well, fill in the blanks.

• I went to see her and had a great time.
  • Revealing too much information and/or lurking on GAF without knowing it made D-GAF go nuts
  • After the visit with her (which went amazingly), she came down to see me last month. We drove to our new destination with which she wants to get an apartment with.
  • Just last week, I was flown up again to see her once more, which I proposed to her the day before my birthday (birthday being the 13th).
  • She accepts, and now we are engaged.
  • Happy ending!

Maddocks

ash. i have no need to get mad about it. After all i was one of the very few who actually supported your relationship. I just think it was unwise to make a thread, challenge people to find her(to a degree) and ask for gifs and tags.

that's why I said should have been in house, if you kept the news in this thread you wouldn't have got banned.

I think its great it worked out. Anytime you keep all your organs its a win.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Am I going about things all wrong if I don't really see the point in texting a lot before meeting? I'd rather get that out of the way first and see if there's any chemistry in real life (unless she's really opposed to hanging out). I've only been texting to facilitate plans, mostly.

Am I going about things all wrong if I don't really see the point in texting a lot before meeting? I'd rather get that out of the way first and see if there's any chemistry in real life (unless she's really opposed to hanging out). I've only been texting to facilitate plans, mostly.

Nah, it really depends on the person you're chatting with. Some peeps just love texting.

I fell into the trap of over texting before meeting a guy, and it meant I over-hyped our first date and in the end it didn't work out. It was a shame, we got on so well via text but basically I just didn't fancy him when we met. He was a nice guy as well, I felt bad about it.

Though I do like a bit of text banter in between dates, not every day but just enough to let me know he's still interested.

dralla

Yea, that sucks when you get the number to text but you can't meet up for a while due to scheduling. It gets kinda weird for me, I try not to text them too much because I'd rather get to know them in person, but I don't want to seem disinterested so I have to text SOME, I just keep it kind of dumb/casual

I fell into the trap of over texting before meeting a guy, and it meant I over-hyped our first date and in the end it didn't work out. It was a shame, we got on so well via text but basically I just didn't fancy him when we met. He was a nice guy as well, I felt bad about it.

Though I do like a bit of text banter in between dates, not every day but just enough to let me know he's still interested.

Yea, that sucks when you get the number to text but you can't meet up for a while due to scheduling. It gets kinda weird for me, I try not to text them too much because I'd rather get to know them in person, but I don't want to seem disinterested so I have to text SOME, I just keep it kind of dumb/casual

Yeah if that happens for me, I usually text every once in awhile saying "how was your day/week/weekend" then make convo, either that or i text super random questions

Well then, just got asked out tonight from one of the girls I've been texting a lot recently from OKC. Saves me the trouble of eventually asking. xD

dralla

If I have to read one more "I'm not into playing games!" thing, I'm going to murder someone. I swear, its on at least 80% of these fucking profiles. What does that shit even mean? or I want a "real man".

If I have to read one more "I'm not into playing games!" thing, I'm going to murder someone. I swear, its on at least 80% of these fucking profiles. What does that shit even mean? or I want a "real man".

I see a lot of "I love adventures." That's another platitude I see on 80% of profiles. You'd think these women were all Ferdinand Magellan, but it ends up meaning they like to spend a Saturday finding a vintage clothing shop in Silverlake.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Well, thank you. Even if you don't believe me :p

Vancouver area, where everyone is hot :(

Trying to work on that. Haha. I'm starting to kind of get it in therapy though. Kind of. Still a while off, but working on it.

Lol I've deleted two profiles so far and then went, ugh never mind and made another. I'm on my third, but I've hidden it from the search function now and will ignore it. Haha.

I wish I had my Never Alone picture my friend drew me. It was two Forever Aloners fist bumping haha.

Except now she's in a relationship, TRAITOR.

I'm in S. Surrey\WR. Let's get drunk and hook up. Assuming you are female.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I honestly don't think I've seen either of these. Maybe the "real man" thing once.

One thing I've noticed (at least in my area) is that nearly EVERY girl loves to bake/cook. I am continuously surprised at how often I see it in profiles.

Captain Pants

I'm just going with the flow really. I gave her my number early-ish last week so that we could get a date planned for the weekend, and since she is a caterer, her weekend was shot to hell, so instead of not talking until our schedules worked out, we've been texting a bunch. It has been really nice. I haven't instigated much of it, so I'm not being overly attached or anything.

I can only be bothered with the ashodin affair if either party is hot.

Edit: I can't be bothered with the ashodin affair. Also, please don't turn the thread into some sort of personal diary.

Captain Pants

It is funny, I'm not too nervous about tonight even though I haven't been on a date in years. Like you guys say, there is no way of knowing if we'll get along in person, but I've got a good feeling about her.

Trez

Neo Member
What is the standard for the amount of unanswered messaged? Got like 8 or 10 that haven't been replied to, maybe it's too much?

Konosuke

Last post before I sleep. That about sums it up for the thread I posted, and here's some fill in the blanks to, well, fill in the blanks.

• Revealing too much information and/or lurking on GAF without knowing it made D-GAF go nuts
  • After the visit with her (which went amazingly), she came down to see me last month. We drove to our new destination with which she wants to get an apartment with.
  • Just last week, I was flown up again to see her once more, which I proposed to her the day before my birthday (birthday being the 13th).
  • Happy ending!

What the fuck

Exactly my reaction. Holy shit. I thought Ash was trolling us, since he was banned. I have no words. My sincere congratulations to you mate!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So you're getting about 30-50% respones? That seems high, not low, to me, but i have very limited sample size. Someone else might be able to tell better. You should be fine.

• Happy ending!

That's an amazingly wonderful story. All the women I talk to on OKcupid all have serious anger or dependence or militant feminist or lame issues, so it's great to hear a happy ending once in a while.

Pastry

Banned

Stay positive and like someone else said avoid being a negative nancy. Try to keep the conversation flowing as much as possible, let your humor out and hope she laughs, maintain eye contact as much as possible, etc.. Oh and one of the most important things is don't fret about getting a kiss on the first date. If you aren't absolutely positive you can get it then don't go in for it. A lack of a first kiss on a date doesn't mean anything. I didn't kiss the girl I'm dating right now from OKC until our second date and everything is going great.

Goes without saying, but try not to put to much pressure on yourself when you meet the girl the first time. Even if you feel like nothing's there, stay persistent and see if she just takes a while to warm up to people.

Anyone can put up a mask/front online, so it will inevitably be awkward the first time you meet them. Also, this is just personal preference.....hug her when you see her. It will be awkward, but it will help make her comfortable with you.

Anddddd keep it fun and positive. No one likes a Negative Nancy.

I got a handshake from the girl I am seeing right now when we first met, it was super awkward haha.

Hey guys, new to the thread. I've been looking into all this online dating stuff, and OKC looks pretty good for a free site, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with eharmony or geek2geek? I just need to know what I'm getting into here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom