• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyne

While I do have a preference for the nerdier class of women, I have no issue dating a 'typical' woman. I have noticed I hit it off a lot more with the nerdier women than 'average' ones. But for my profile, I decided to keep my writing honest, which led me to include my geeky tendencies.

Plus I had women, geeky and normal ones, messaged me about my Japanese in the past. So it works.

Hey, I'm the rookie here. If it works it works. When I put up my profile I'll be coming here often to scribe about my adventures. You should let us know how things go for you too. c:

Necrovex

Hey, I'm the rookie here. If it works it works. When I put up my profile I'll be coming here often to scribe about my adventures. You should let us know how things go for you too. c:

That's the plan! I hope for the very best in your adventuring.

That last part in my previous post wasn't meant to be aggressive.

GatorBait

Anyone feel like critiquing the revisions I've made to my "base" profile? I figure I'll paste this as-in into Plenty of Fish, but I'll probably have to break it up a little to fit into OKCupid's more defined sections.

Does the closing paragraph seem too heavy-handed? I want to get across the point that I'm not just looking to "date around" without any end goal like some girls on these sites seem content to do, but at the same time, I feel like my entire profile comes across more serious in tone than light-hearted. I'm actually quite funny, often teasing and sarcastic in person, but I've always had a difficult time expressing that through any writing that isn't back-and-forth like text messages.

I figure some of the sections on OKCupid's profiles may be ripe for adding in more humor (like: "I'm really good at", "The first things people usually notice about me", and "I spend a lot of time thinking about.")

My profile:
MoDWTGs.png

Well I definitely should give the girl I'm messaging more credit. Today's weather was especially shit and my campus had to be closed for the day. She rescheduled for the second time and was a fairly good sport about it. I'm thinking there's genuine interest there, she's had way too many possible ways of dropping the whole thing if she truly wasn't interested.

Or maybe I'm super naive and I'll be very disappointed soon enough. We'll see! :D

megamerican

I appreciate the help.

Quote to see profile.

Gotta gives props to Dralla for providing a solid outline.

It's cleverly written. I think it will really appeal to a certain type of girl, others may not dig it, but if you know what you're looking for, it works.

I also would probably scratch the stuff about joining the peace corps and vanishing for a few years. Girls won't want to start something with someone who intends to fall off the map. You might also want to leave the income field blank if you're earning less than $20k.

And this is probably just me, but I found the picture of the two women on each arm trying to kiss you to be sort of strange when it turned out they were your sisters.

GatorBait

I also would probably scratch the stuff about joining the peace corps and vanishing for a few years. Girls won't want to start something with someone who intends to fall off the map. You might also want to leave the income field blank if you're earning less than $20k.

I definitely agree with these two points. The Peace Corp. thing really stood out to me, too. That part basically broadcasts to me: "I'm trying to get out of here ASAP, so don't bother trying to start a relationship with me."

The money thing is a good point, too. Just leave that blank.

I see a spelling mistake: "I am a little obsess with my health [...]"

Also, personally, I'd pare down the "The six things I could never do without" section. You already have a fairly long profile and that section seems to contain a lot of superfluous information that doesn't really illustrate much about your personality compared to the amount of space it is taking up.

I went through a doozy recently, guess I'll share my story in case some of you want to comment. Months ago I caught a girl peeping my profile. I sent her a very basic message with no thought, she didn't reply and immediately viewed my profile again. I assumed she wasn't interested, that was the end of it.

Then, I caught her looking at my profile numerous times but never messaging. I have a rule of "only message once" that I've never broken. Until recently (fuck me, learned my lesson). So, I figured maybe she was interested but missed my first message and was/is also too shy to initiate. So, this time I composed a kick-ass message. She gave a very long reply and even furthered the conversation. I then replied. It ended there.

I'm the type that likes to think about these things just for fun. My conclusion is that she was never interested, she just replied because she was too polite. Also, keeps me convinced that a good message rarely matters. I'm pretty sure you can get away with sending shit on a stick if the girl likes your pic (or guy, if you're a girl).

I must admit I was kind of curious as to why she was viewing my profile those times. My picture is big and distinctive, you won't see anything different just from zooming in. Oh well. Sucks, she was really hot.

Thoughts?

The guy I'm dating sent me a pretty shit first message. I only replied because I liked his profile/pics (think I might have viewed his profile before he messaged me). Someone else sent me pretty much exactly the same message which I ignored.

On the other hand, another guy sent me a really good message (made me laugh) which intrigued me and made me respond - his profile was good too but I wasn't that fussed about his pics. We dated for a few months (though he dumped me because he didn't want anything serious).

So basically it varies.

Necrovex

It's cleverly written. I think it will really appeal to a certain type of girl, others may not dig it, but if you know what you're looking for, it works.

And this is probably just me, but I found the picture of the two women on each arm trying to kiss you to be sort of strange when it turned out they were your sisters.

I definitely agree with these two points. The Peace Corp. thing really stood out to me, too. That part basically broadcasts to me: "I'm trying to get out of here ASAP, so don't bother trying to start a relationship with me."

The money thing is a good point, too. Just leave that blank.

I see a spelling mistake: "I am a little obsess with my health [...]"

Also, personally, I'd pare down the "The six things I could never do without" section. You already have a fairly long profile and that section seems to contain a lot of superfluous information that doesn't really illustrate much about your personality compared to the amount of space it is taking up.

I took your guys' suggestion and alter my profile accordingly. Income has changed to blank, and I deleted the paragraph involving Peace Corps (this can come up when I meet up with the person). I also killed off the explanation portion of my six items. I appreciate the input!

Also, Gator, what about 'obsess' did I misspell? I just woke up, so my mind is still a little groggy as I devour my Apple Jacks.

I took your guys' suggestion and alter my profile accordingly. Income has changed to blank, and I deleted the paragraph involving Peace Corps (this can come up when I meet up with the person). I also killed off the explanation portion of my six items. I appreciate the input!

Also, Gator, what about 'obsess' did I misspell? I just woke up, so my mind is still a little groggy as I devour my Apple Jacks.

Should be obsessed.

I broke up with my gf almost a month ago, but after two weeks I figured I needed something to help me move on, so I stumble onto Okcupid to see if I can make new friends. But what I got in the end was this cute girl who shares quite a few similar interest as me (My ex had no common interest as me whatsoever) My first message to her was "Hey, how's it going?". When she replied we instantly hit it off, after like 3 or 4 message, she gave me her number and we continue to text over the phone about these things we both like. Now I'm asking her out on a date and see where this leads. At this point I have totally move on from my ex gf of two years. Feels nice, compare to the misery/depression I have had for the past 2 weeks :)

Do you guys put up your income? I took it down because I was worried that it was weird to put up, but I don't want people thinking I'm a broke slob

potam

Banned
Do you guys put up your income? I took it down because I was worried that it was weird to put up, but I don't want people thinking I'm a broke slob

I don't see any need. You can hint at it by mentioning your job, but I figure anyone who actually looks for a number isn't worthwhile.

GatorBait

Nope, and I make good money. I have my job on there and I'm sure they can deduce a high salary range from that, but I don't like explicitly advertising how much money I make.

potam

Banned
Just got back from the date with cute German chick...and oh man that accent. Overall it went really well. We ended up talking for about 4 hours over a few drinks. But I do think I ended up making drunk creeper eyes at her a couple of times over the course of the night.

But yeah...first successful date off OKC. woowoo~

megamerican

When I was in sales I was making pretty good money and I put it up. I took it down because very few girls listed it in their profile. Honestly I don't think it really matters. It's never been an issue with the girls I message or meet up with.

I really want to see what messages girls get. I know it happens, but it's hard for me to imagine some guy sitting there typing out, "hey lol we should fukkkkk," and thinking, "yep, sending this shit out."

95% of the messages were borderline rape.

The other 3% and 2% consisted of nothing but "Hello, you seem nice" and/or "You are hot".

Seriously, one of the messages was basically a guy wanting to tie her down to a table, pull her head back and have her suck it down - while he calls his wife.

And what is everyone's obsession with forcing women to cry as they choke on the guys shlong and/or manjuice?

Some incredible stuff.

Kyne

am I right to assume that a simple message regarding something relating to their profile would do best? (and be like 99% better than all the other messages they usually get from guys?)

Yeesh. Spoke too soon. Girl messaged me back on OKC (even though we already shared numbers and texted like twice) saying she got sick. Mind you she already got sick and moved the meet-up time the very first time we moved it.

Fuck it. I told her to message me again when she's "feeling better", she clearly just wants out at this point.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I am close...so fucking CLOSE to meeting up with this bodacious babe tonight. We already have a meet up place, but she hasn't given me the time yet. UGH WOMEN! :mad:

Dice//

Banned
While I do have a preference for the nerdier class of women, I have no issue dating a 'typical' woman. I have noticed I hit it off a lot more with the nerdier women than 'average' ones. But for my profile, I decided to keep my writing honest, which led me to include my geeky tendencies.

I agree with this, but I'm (like some sad, sorry, human being) can't find nerdy female friends to just hang with. I always find the "typical" (as you say) ones and can't really jive with them on the same level even though I can.

At least I got male nerd buds... but sometimes it's fun to relate with the same sex.

Meanwhile I'm having a blast reading the adventures and misadventures on OKC.
Good luck Obliovion!
Sorry to hear, EatinOlives
Kyne, yes, and bring up certain interests, start somewhere on even ground, none of this "you're hot" garbage HP_Wuv brought up.

I have seen a couple of girls inboxs ...man I was in shock at some of the messages. There were a lot of the "hey" and "hey gorgeous" type, which aren't really that bad but just really lame but there were also quite a few dick pics, lots of messages like the one you wrote above. I remember one saying "I would love to bury my face in those tits!". There are also the guys that type out their whole life story, where they see themselves being in the future and how they see the girl as being part of that future. All in the first message! Next date you get, just ask her to show you. It can be a good icebreaker in a way.

Seeing this made me feel a lot more confident in my simple approach, which is normally a one sentence question or comment of something on their profile. If you can just come across as "not a psycho", you will be better than 80% of the guys messaging them.

am I right to assume that a simple message regarding something relating to their profile would do best? (and be like 99% better than all the other messages they usually get from guys?)

Quoting myself but I wrote this on the previous page..To answer your question, yes. Although I still maintain if she doesn't like your pics, it doesn't matter what you write

Just wanted to pop in here and tell you guys that you're in the wrong country! I am living in Bangkok for the next four months, and put a profile on Thailovelinks.com. Holy crap - Pretty much every girl I send a message to replies to me and we end up chatting in Line (the chat prog that everyone here uses). Been here a week and been on 5 different dates. It's a whole new world.

Reply rate here is about 9/10. In the US it was like 1/30! I'm not even particularly good looking.

Also, these are girls that have careers, money, etc. Just want to stave off any jokes about them just looking for someone to bring them to the US. None of the ones I've dated so far want to leave.

Majestad

Banned
Just wanted to pop in here and tell you guys that you're in the wrong country! I am living in Bangkok for the next four months, and put a profile on Thailovelinks.com. Holy crap - Pretty much every girl I send a message to replies to me and we end up chatting in Line (the chat prog that everyone here uses). Been here a week and been on 5 different dates. It's a whole new world.

Reply rate here is about 9/10. In the US it was like 1/30! I'm not even particularly good looking.

Also, these are girls that have careers, money, etc. Just want to stave off any jokes about them just looking for someone to bring them to the US. None of the ones I've dated so far want to leave.

lol

potam

Banned
...and I'm starting to lose faith in OKC. The girl I went out with on Friday went full radio silence (aside from one response on Saturday). Sent her a final text today asking if she was still interested in getting dinner sometime, and no response (I pretty much knew that would be the case here, but I figured why not give it one last shot). It's just confusing since I was 90% sure it went really well, and I'm not that oblivious.

Someone in the dating thread did mention that with this whole online dating thing, no matter how well the date goes (unless she goes home with you), the girl is going to be going back home to dozens of messages from dozens of other guys, which is kind of depressing to think about.

plane-taking-off.jpg

Majestad

Banned
...and I'm starting to lose faith in OKC. The girl I went out with on Friday went full radio silence (aside from one response on Saturday). Sent her a final text today asking if she was still interested in getting dinner sometime, and no response (I pretty much knew that would be the case here, but I figured why not give it one last shot). It's just confusing since I was 90% sure it went really well, and I'm not that oblivious.

Someone in the dating thread did mention that with this whole online dating thing, no matter how well the date goes (unless she goes home with you), the girl is going to be going back home to dozens of messages from dozens of other guys, which is kind of depressing to think about.

plane-taking-off.jpg

I'm sorry duder. Something similar happened to me once.

Don't get discouraged though.

ameratsu

This is absolutely the wrong way to look at it. It's normal to get burnt out on online dating. Don't torment yourself by speculating why a given girl no longer wants to see you.

Most of the messages girls get on online dating sites are terrible or outright abusive. I doubt you're in contention with the guys who mass messages the same few lines to every girl on the site.

Ultima_5

Hey guys. i'm new to this stuff so I figure i could use all the help I can get. I wonder how active this thread is since it's now in the discussion sub-board....

If I post my profile an what not, can I get some input? I currently have it written in a word doc... haven't even made an account yet

Any good second date suggestions? I went to a bar with a woman on the first. We've been texting infrequently for the subsequent week. I'm thinking of asking her out this weekend, but I'm not sure where I want to go.

Ultima_5

Any good second date suggestions? I went to a bar with a woman on the first. We've been texting infrequently for the subsequent week. I'm thinking of asking her out this weekend, but I'm not sure where I want to go.

Take a walk somewhere if the weather is decent?

Or if theres any nice museums if its cold out

megamerican

Where I'm at is totally frigid and I've found going to the mall to work pretty well as a date. You can walk around, eat / drink, people watch, whatever. It's more laid back than an "activity" type date, but more involved than like a movie or drinks.

Hey guys. i'm new to this stuff so I figure i could use all the help I can get. I wonder how active this thread is since it's now in the discussion sub-board....

If I post my profile an what not, can I get some input? I currently have it written in a word doc... haven't even made an account yet

Yeah post it up. I've gotten some good tips on here before.

dralla

How old are you and her? I went on an OKC date on Sunday and since we're both into reading I suggested Barnes and Noble and she loved it. Ended up staying till it closed actually. It has a cafe in it, so books and coffee, can't go wrong with that.

Museums are always great for dates, or an aquarium. If you're feeling comfortable with each other, a little Netflix marathon. Cooking together is also fun.

--

I just received this and I'm surprised no one has every asked me this before, I chuckled

"Has Jennifer Lawrence messaged you yet?"

How old are you and her? I went on an OKC date on Sunday and since we're both into reading I suggested Barnes and Noble and she loved it. Ended up staying till it closed actually. It has a cafe in it, so books and coffee, can't go wrong with that.

Museums are always great for dates, or an aquarium. If you're feeling comfortable with each other, a little Netflix marathon. Cooking together is also fun.

I'm 29 and she's 26? She's really really into hiking and outdoorsy stuff, but it is insanely cold in my area.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm definitely going to do a walk around date. That's definitely a good idea. I'll figure out where to go based on what's in the area.

Ultima_5

Quote for my profile. Would love any and all input. I know I need more pics, but i'm kinda tired so I'll do that tomorrow or something.

Pretty sure this worked...

Quoting for a new page. Any other thoughts?

Quote for my profile. Would love any and all input. I know I need more pics, but i'm kinda tired so I'll do that tomorrow or something.

I like it. Defo need more pics, but the one you've got is good (especially for a selfie). Nice beard. It's possibly a little on the long side (the profile not the beard) but that's the only real criticism I can come up with. I would reply to a message from you.

Ultima_5

I like it. Defo need more pics, but the one you've got is good (especially for a selfie). Nice beard. It's possibly a little on the long side (the profile not the beard) but that's the only real criticism I can come up with. I would reply to a message from you.

Awesome. Thanks!

I'll try to edit out some of it. Probably the favorite movies, books, etc because that's largely irrelevant imho.

I'll get a couple more pics up

I assume this "You're hot" email from okcupid is pretty much bs? I mean, I've gotten a few unsolicited messages and some profile likes, but I'm like a 5 or 6/10. Does Everyone get this message?

In the last 2 days, 3 girls I messaged deleted their profiles >_<

Also, why do women give you their number unsolicited and then never answer your texts?

I know there's the great debate that women when put on the spot will most likely give you the number and ignore because they don't want conflict and what not. However it's a different animal when the woman gives you her number without being asked for it.

megamerican

I think it looks pretty good. If that's a recent pic I would say you're probably doing yourself disservice by using "a little extra" as bodytype. Average runs a pretty big gamut nowadays, especially on dating sites.

In the last 2 days, 3 girls I messaged deleted their profiles >_<

Also, why do women give you their number unsolicited and then never answer your texts?

I know there's the great debate that women when put on the spot will most likely give you the number and ignore because they don't want conflict and what not. However it's a different animal when the woman gives you her number without being asked for it.

Why do men ask for your number and never call?

Shit happens. Hopefully you'll find someone who doesn't mess you about. Until then, don't get too invested in any one girl. At least not till you've been on a few dates with her.

Ultima_5

I think it looks pretty good. If that's a recent pic I would say you're probably doing yourself disservice by using "a little extra" as bodytype. Average runs a pretty big gamut nowadays, especially on dating sites.

Yah I took it that morning before work, but I figured most people would see the pictures before they notice that anyway. Its really only my head that's a little extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom