• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the problem?
Let me rephrase for accuracy.

She rescheduled our date an hour before it was supposed to happen, reiterated interest in it happening down the road, but now deletes her profile.
I'm not dumb, it's clear she wasn't digging me or comfortable with it, so just say so, and I'll wish you the best of luck.

I'm just not a fan of the lame excuses and dishonesty.

Maddocks

Let me rephrase for accuracy.

She rescheduled our date an hour before it was supposed to happen, reiterated interest in it happening down the road, but now deletes her profile.
I'm not dumb, it's clear she wasn't digging me or comfortable with it, so just say so, and I'll wish you the best of luck.

I'm just not a fan of the lame excuses and dishonesty.

She tossed you for another. Things like that will happen when its online dating because no one is accountable for their actions. She gave you an excuse, but the key is to move on. Never think about the past and always look forward.

Now I know I shouldn't take it personally, but man does it sting when you ask to meet after 20ish seemingly positive messages and then they hide their profile.

I mean, I understand why, but it sure feels bad lol.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is the "who's new" option broken or something? I feel like I'm getting trolled. Everyone that shows up in that type of search looks to be "a little extra" or above in body type. I'm in Los Angeles. This just a coincidence? lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, I crashed and burned yesterday. It wasn't on OKC, but someone I met on the bus. I tried to strike up a conversation, but she was writing something and was like "Uh...sorry, I really have to finish this." Might not be the biggest thing in the world, but still.

It is now! You don't have the new "The Two of Us" design yet.

To be honest I just have a fake account right now. Just became single again a couple of weeks ago and thinking about jumping back in, I guess when I do I won't be able to compare answers? Lame.

Well, I crashed and burned yesterday. It wasn't on OKC, but someone I met on the bus. I tried to strike up a conversation, but she was writing something and was like "Uh...sorry, I really have to finish this." Might not be the biggest thing in the world, but still.

I have no idea what this means

beanman25

So, tonight after 2 years, I had my first actual "date" or whatever you want to call it. She is going to KU, so we had to talk over Skype. I was incredibly nervous, but feel so comfortable now, like right away conversations just clicked. Even if nothing comes from this, I have a lot more confidence now!

So update on the last couple weeks (not that anyone gives a shit, lol). As I suspected, girl I was messaging didn't get back to me after she rescheduled like 3 times, not surprised. Took a couple of weeks off, thinking I need to take good photos, spent some time over those two weeks taking some good ones. Came back a few days ago, re-did the photos, re-did some info, sent a good 10-15 messages out. One bothered to reply only twice, then she stopped right after that.

Done with OKC. It's starting to suggest people from out of town. There must be something in my profile completely deal breaking but I've re-worked everything as best I could. The whole thing has been a waste of time.

deleted

So I haven't been in the game for a few years and have never used a dating site before.

What's the best way to contact someone there? Just shoot a short message about something on her profile, or a longer text? Do I get to the point (date) as early as possible? My gut feeling says that could come across as slightly creepy, but I have no idea how fast/slow internet dating works..

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
So I haven't been in the game for a few years and have never used a dating site before.

What's the best way to contact someone there? Just shoot a short message about something on her profile, or a longer text? Do I get to the point (date) as early as possible? My gut feeling says that could come across as slightly creepy, but I have no idea how fast/slow internet dating works..

My method is to send a snarky message and exchange numbers within 3 or 4 messages to avoid it turning into an IM convo. It's been pretty successful so far.

Did I miss a memo where asking about their job is "creepy"? Someone literally said "you guys apparently don't realize asking this is creepy" (though she answered anyway). Some girls apparently don't realize asking this means we're trying to make a conversation.

Yes I'm back on the horse after writing it off. Don't judge me

So after about (almost) a month of using this site and POF and never getting a single response from anybody I've decided to bow out gracefully. At least I tried right? (shrugs)

So after about (almost) a month of using this site and POF and never getting a single response from anybody I've decided to bow out gracefully. At least I tried right? (shrugs)

A month isn't long enough really. I was on OKC on and off for about 18 months before I met my boyfriend.

Post your profile and example messages if you want some feedback, we can help point you in the right direction.

y2dvd

Is it worth paying $20 for the A-List?

The thing that kills me about not having it for me is I get a lot of likes, but I can't see who it is that likes me. X[

I'm currently chatting with this one girl on okc. She seems down to earth. We called each other a few times and conversations are smooth so far. We are going to try and plan something this Friday. We were talking about our best friends for a bit. Is it bad that the way she was describing her best friend made me more interested in her friend since it sounds like we had more things in common? lol

Pryor

The thing that kills me about not having it for me is I get a lot of likes, but I can't see who it is that likes me. X[

I've not used OKC for a while now but I seem to remember that the mobile app was a bit buggy and when you went onto that screen, if you changed the orientation of your phone, you could see a couple of the details like age and location. I used to do that and then do a little searching to see exactly who had liked me.

I don't know if that is still the case though.

A month isn't long enough really. I was on OKC on and off for about 18 months before I met my boyfriend.

Post your profile and example messages if you want some feedback, we can help point you in the right direction.

Can't, already deleted it. I feel like I was headed in the right direction already by avoiding dating/relationships, but you guys infected me with positivity and I got bored and gave it a shot lol.

I've not used OKC for a while now but I seem to remember that the mobile app was a bit buggy and when you went onto that screen, if you changed the orientation of your phone, you could see a couple of the details like age and location. I used to do that and then do a little searching to see exactly who had liked me.

I don't know if that is still the case though.

This is still the case haha. It shows me age, location, and match % of my most recent like. Easy to narrow it down from there in search.

So I went on a first date yesterday that ended up being 6 hours. Went from the coffee shop, walking around the city and finally dinner. She also accepted my offer of dropping her off at home. I thought the date was going really well so I asked for a second date next Saturday and she accepted. I texted her last night night asking if she got home safely and also letting her know I had a good time--but I didn't confirm the second date in the text conversation. My question is, when should I confirm? Would it come of as needy if I text her today about the second date?

Maddocks

you should text her to talk to her then bring it up. that way it's casually mentioned and not....hey date Saturday let's go!

Cruz

Neo Member
to be honest i met my gf in okcupid, shes very pretty to my eyes and am happy which i think is the most important thing. but we have different stories on how we met hehe, idk am still iffy and so is my gf to say we met in the internet

Kyne

Did I miss a memo where asking about their job is "creepy"? Someone literally said "you guys apparently don't realize asking this is creepy" (though she answered anyway). Some girls apparently don't realize asking this means we're trying to make a conversation.

wanna link your profile? you say there might be something on there that's killing it for you, maybe we can help.

to be honest i met my gf in okcupid, shes very pretty to my eyes and am happy which i think is the most important thing. but we have different stories on how we met hehe, idk am still iffy and so is my gf to say we met in the internet

It isn't the damn 90s and literally everyone is on the internet now. Don't be weird.

Depends on how you ask it. If you're literally asking "Where do you work" and it's something where you could just show up as a customer at any time to creep on her... then yeah I see the point.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Going to ask a lady I started texting with Sunday to do something this weekend. Figured Wednesday was enough time. Hoping to do something on her turf because I want to visit her college campus (it's an ivy league). If she can't think of anything I will.

Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else.....is anyone else getting tons of likes from random girls on OKC? Seem to get one every four to five hours or so, so I've been wondering if there's just a ton of spam bots out there or something o.o...

stn

@red_taiyaki

Do you answer lots of questions? Do you think your pic is good? When you answer questions you get featured on the main page, which enhances your exposure. That, combined with a pic, tends to get messages and likes. The likes are worthless, however. I have over 100 and I don't think I've even talked to 10 of the girls who rated. I don't know who they are.

No_Style

I'd just like to thank GAF and this thread for inspiring me to create an OKCupid account all those months ago. It took nearly a year (possibly more, I lost track) but it paid off. I met this wonderful girl earlier this year and we started dating a week before Valentine's Day.

It took a long time but since I wasn't in a rush to meet someone, I felt it was a low investment, high reward proposition. Patience and persistence yielded results for me. Hopefully I inspire others to keep at it.

Fuckin' hell man, I was talkin to a really cool girl on tinder, but when I gave her my number so that we could text without the jank of the app she stopped responding. Why do I have to ruin everything for myself, haha

There's absolutely nothing "creepy" about asking about someone's job. I'll speculate, but it sounds like a girl getting by on her looks..Her job isn't great. She's obviously not proud of it and feels it reflects poorly on her. Asking her about her job knocks her down a few pegs..She projects this insecurity onto others and interprets this question as a personal attack, or "creepy" (passive aggressive label).

At least this is my experience with women who have any sort of issue talking about their employment...Usually pretty but not highly educated or professionally successful.

Finally went on my first meet-up. Wouldn't call it a "date", because although we initially agreed to coffee and chatting (basically a date), we sat at a table first before getting coffee and we ended up not wanting to make a "thing" out of it.

I felt like she was uninterested since the beginning. She came off as energetic in her messages but was a bit too mellow when we met. Even her greeting was like "oh hey...". We talked a bit and I think I kept a very good pace of conversation but I felt I needed to talk too much to keep the conversation alive. If I let her talk for longer than like 10 seconds she'd end her sentence and almost immediately do one of those "have nothing to talk about" sighs. It was almost like she wanted to feel awkward if that makes any sense. After about an hour I was like "yeah I have [such-and-such] to do", she got the hint, and parted ways. I dunno. It was like if you met someone and liked them enough to actually want to meet you shouldn't push the "omg so bored" narrative since the very beginning. At least I got talking practice out of it.

There's absolutely nothing "creepy" about asking about someone's job. I'll speculate, but it sounds like a girl getting by on her looks..Her job isn't great. She's obviously not proud of it and feels it reflects poorly on her. Asking her about her job knocks her down a few pegs..She projects this insecurity onto others and interprets this question as a personal attack, or "creepy" (passive aggressive label).

At least this is my experience with women who have any sort of issue talking about their employment...Usually pretty but not highly educated or professionally successful.

Her job isn't great, it's a standard grocery store gig. I mean, in a way it was probably foolish of me to make conversation out of a job as generic as that, and maybe that's what got her annoyed, but her reaction that it was "creepy" and her heavy implication that I'd go stalking her really put me off. No big loss at any rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom