• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally went on my first meet-up. Wouldn't call it a "date", because although we initially agreed to coffee and chatting (basically a date), we sat at a table first before getting coffee and we ended up not wanting to make a "thing" out of it.

I felt like she was uninterested since the beginning. She came off as energetic in her messages but was a bit too mellow when we met. Even her greeting was like "oh hey...". We talked a bit and I think I kept a very good pace of conversation but I felt I needed to talk too much to keep the conversation alive. If I let her talk for longer than like 10 seconds she'd end her sentence and almost immediately do one of those "have nothing to talk about" sighs. It was almost like she wanted to feel awkward if that makes any sense. After about an hour I was like "yeah I have [such-and-such] to do", she got the hint, and parted ways. I dunno. It was like if you met someone and liked them enough to actually want to meet you shouldn't push the "omg so bored" narrative since the very beginning. At least I got talking practice out of it.

Oh well, there's any number of reasons she might have come off that way at least you got out there.

Her job isn't great, it's a standard grocery store gig. I mean, in a way it was probably foolish of me to make conversation out of a job as generic as that, and maybe that's what got her annoyed, but her reaction that it was "creepy" and her heavy implication that I'd go stalking her really put me off. No big loss at any rate.

There are people out there who would use that information to stalk her, instead of being all defensive and annoyed with her maybe you should be annoyed by the fact that there are dudes out there who would use that information to stalk her. Step outside yourself a little.

Oh well, there's any number of reasons she might have come off that way at least you got out there.

Yep! It was my first time. It wasn't disastrous, so I think it was a good experience overall. I wasn't expecting a perfect meet-up on my first try anyway.

There are people out there who would use that information to stalk her, instead of being all defensive and annoyed with her maybe you should be annoyed by the fact that there are dudes out there who would use that information to stalk her. Step outside yourself a little.

She's obviously had experiences like that before so I'm not minding that too much, but she's probably going to turn off a lot more guys in the future if she reacts that badly from casual small-talk. I mentioned it to a friend (girl) about it and she had the same "wtf..." reaction as me.

I've been messaging with this girl quite a bit and now there's talk of hanging out. She lives relatively far away and mentioned coming to me, which is awesome.

Although I'm worried it's moving a little too fast. I think she's great but at the same time it's early in the relationship or w/e this is and I don't want her to come all this way we don't have chemistry or something.

I'm going to talk to her on the phone but if any ladies could offer their 0.02, I'd vale your input

<3

dralla

I've been messaging with this girl quite a bit and now there's talk of hanging out. She lives relatively far away and mentioned coming to me, which is awesome.

Although I'm worried it's moving a little too fast. I think she's great but at the same time it's early in the relationship or w/e this is and I don't want her to come all this way we don't have chemistry or something.

I'm going to talk to her on the phone but if any ladies could offer their 0.02, I'd vale your input

<3

If you're worried about no attraction/chemistry, shouldn't you want to meet her ASAP? If you keep talking and keep on putting it off, it could be a huge waste of time if there is no attraction when you finally do meet. This is why I push for meeting up within a few days of the initial message.

--

I've been meeting quite a few girls lately. One cancelled on me last night and I'm not sure if it was genuine or not, her story seems legit unlike some of the other ones I've heard. Met a girl Thursday and meeting one today. Met a couple the other week too (including a blind date). I've been out of the dating game for a while, I'm starting to remember how much I dislike dating lol :(

Yeah Dralla, I agree that'd be my normal thing, she lives 5-6 hours away which makes it a gamble either way.

It seems she's backpedaling on the meet-up a little, though, which I'm not sure how to interpret. She's really busy with school but I think if she's into it, it would be a priority of sorts.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/browneyedboy514?cf=profile

Tear at it as much as you want. I'm trying to tweak it to get results.

I like your "First things people notice about me" and I like your self summary, though I would drop these sentences from it entirely: "I'm "pee in your pants" funny! I'm just warning you I'm laid back and one of the easiest people to get along with, but if you try and play me you get fkin fired in a heartbeat."

And I dislike every section as they are all meaningless platitudes that don't mean anything:

"What I’m doing with my life
trying to navigate it without losing my heart or soul."

"I’m really good at
figuring things out quickly that don't make sense or feel like they should be tweaked."

"On a typical Friday night I am
engaging in shenanigans."

"The most private thing I’m willing to admit
is that I will share my most private things with people I trust."

These are all kind of meaningless without any detail. They have no hook for someone to latch onto, give some loose examples without giving away everything and you can use them to build conversations. As it is they're just sort of there.

I like your "First things people notice about me" and I like your self summary, though I would drop these sentences from it entirely: "I'm "pee in your pants" funny! I'm just warning you I'm laid back and one of the easiest people to get along with, but if you try and play me you get fkin fired in a heartbeat."

And I dislike every section as they are all meaningless platitudes that don't mean anything:

"What I’m doing with my life
trying to navigate it without losing my heart or soul."

"I’m really good at
figuring things out quickly that don't make sense or feel like they should be tweaked."

"On a typical Friday night I am
engaging in shenanigans."

"The most private thing I’m willing to admit
is that I will share my most private things with people I trust."

These are all kind of meaningless without any detail. They have no hook for someone to latch onto, give some loose examples without giving away everything and you can use them to build conversations. As it is they're just sort of there.

Tweaked! Thanks!

How about the photos?

TruckDriver

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm revamping my profile on OKC. I'm trying to cut out the useless fat (interests, dull lists, etc) and give more interesting information.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/85lettuce

There's a lot I haven't filled out yet - trying to take it in small doses.

Also, I have no clue what makes a good profile photo or not. The ones I have on now were ones that were rated high on OKC's photo reviewer (like, in the 70s range).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Swig_

I don't understand how anyone meets girls from these sites. I've been using POF for a couple of months and it's been the biggest waste of time. I'm a pretty good catch (I'm tall, pretty good looking, have a good job, am funny/friendly, my own house, no kids or baggage), and I've only met up with 2 girls, both of which were disappointing dates. I've probably sent messages/texted about 20-30 girls. Most of them just stop replying when I finally try to nail down a time and date to meet in person. I'm getting depressed from being alone, but I think online dating makes it worse. If I had people that could hook me up with girls to date, I wouldn't even consider dating online, but basically everyone I know is married and everyone they know is married, so that's incredibly unlikely.

Kyne

Tweaked! Thanks!

How about the photos?

It's been said, but yeah. Limit yourself to 1-2 head shots. Photos are almost 99% the reason someone will or will not message you. No body pictures will set off immediate false pretenses of what someone might be getting themselves into. I know so many girls who have beautiful faces, but then the neck and lower is not something you'd expect unless you saw it in person.

Also, you seemed to have actually tried to be coherent in your grammar. If you're going to start it that way be sure to keep with it. A lot of your paragraphs or sentences start breaking off into weird statements without capital letters at the beginning of the sentence.

Hey guys, I'm revamping my profile on OKC. I'm trying to cut out the useless fat (interests, dull lists, etc) and give more interesting information.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/85lettuce

There's a lot I haven't filled out yet - trying to take it in small doses.

Also, I have no clue what makes a good profile photo or not. The ones I have on now were ones that were rated high on OKC's photo reviewer (like, in the 70s range).

Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't have an account on OC yet so I can't see your profile, but here's what you'd normally want out of pictures.

A clear headshot (try and avoid selfies or mirror pictures)
A photo that shows your entire body (try and get your best 'sides' if anything)
A good photo that shows you engaging something you're interested in (dancing/playing skiiball/some kind of sports?)
A possible group photo (to show that you're at least a little social; don't overdo it and don't make it a photo with you and like 3+ girls. Girls will most likely be turned off by this)

Try and keep the pictures from being blurry, and MOST IMPORTANTLY be sure the photos are recent (at least within the last couple of months)

I don't understand how anyone meets girls from these sites. I've been using POF for a couple of months and it's been the biggest waste of time. I'm a pretty good catch (I'm tall, pretty good looking, have a good job, am funny/friendly, my own house, no kids or baggage), and I've only met up with 2 girls, both of which were disappointing dates. I've probably sent messages/texted about 20-30 girls. Most of them just stop replying when I finally try to nail down a time and date to meet in person. I'm getting depressed from being alone, but I think online dating makes it worse. If I had people that could hook me up with girls to date, I wouldn't even consider dating online, but basically everyone I know is married and everyone they know is married, so that's incredibly unlikely.

I'm sort of the in the same situation as you, but if I was already as set as you seem to be then I'd probably try looking for mates in the wild by doing group activities such as frequenting clubs/arcades/other places of social gatherings. And when I say clubs, I don't mean going clubbing and trying to pick up girls, I mean actually joining clubs that are nearby..

http://www.meetup.com/ Is an example of something you can use to help.

The key is being funny. Not funny funny, but actually funny. They can get all sorts of texts and messages. Why should they care about yours? Use that to motivate you to write them witty and charming shit.

I'm 35, married 10 years, but, I read this thread because I'm fascinated this is how dating works now. I dunno how you guys all do it. Obviously wish continued good luck though. :)

I'm 35, married 10 years, but, I read this thread because I'm fascinated this is how dating works now. I dunno how you guys all do it. Obviously wish continued good luck though. :)

Man, you got out of the race before it got all fucked up with texting etiquette and social media shit. I envy you.

Man, you got out of the race before it got all fucked up with texting etiquette and social media shit. I envy you.

Apparently. I was in college back when people still literally sat by phones waiting for calls because cell phones were barely around. We did have AOL IM and ICQ (!). Think MySpace started a year or so after I graduated.

That said, I have 2 kids (younger) who are going to grow up in this brave new world, it's just a totally different ballgame than we had not too many years ago.

So, I'll shift back into lurking, again, best of luck everyone, fully believe there's someone for everyone, it may not happen now, it may take a while, but, it will happen. :)

CF22

Well after having lurked the Dating thread for a while and having no real luck in the real world I decided to give online dating a trial. To a friend's suggestion I gave Match.com and OK Cupid a try. OK Cupid has a good system going on, the first time was disaster, I didn't get any good matches since I had not filled out a profile or questionnaire. Tried again yesterday, made a profile and put some pictures, also started going through the questions and they seem to be a great filter.

Also signed up for a paid month with Match.com a day ago and have had a few girls show interest some of them quite cute and I will probably start messaging. My only problem is that only paid members can see messages on Match and the interface is horrible but I can live with the latter. On OK Cupid women seem to receive way too many messages, I saw it over and over through the profiles I read so how will they filter? And how can I message them if their inboxes are full? I know you can pay a dollar but those add up and I don't want to fall for that- already did it once lol.

Anyway I'll be taking it slow and with no rush whatsoever, and will probably be around here for a while.

How do you guys feel about showing up with a board game to a meet-up in a casual setting. The challenge was issued early on in messaging by her, I think it could be kind of fun.

oldnick

Banned

POF is full of weirdo chicks, jobless chicks and ugly chicks,
use OKcupid or a good paying dating site

potam

Banned
I don't even know how to respond to this. I'm not sure if she's dumb or on some next level shit...but she's hot so I'll go along with it:

her said:
you eat meat but you want to date a vegan???

me said:
Haha, I don't care if a girl is a vegan as long as she doesn't care that I eat meat. Your profile says you're not a vegan though?

her said:
I know but it says the answers u want yhe other person to say lol

I HAVE LITERALLY 0 FUCKING CLUE WHAT THAT MEANS

megamerican

I don't even know how to respond to this. I'm not sure if she's dumb or on some next level shit...but she's hot so I'll go along with it:

I HAVE LITERALLY 0 FUCKING CLUE WHAT THAT MEANS

Going by that exchange I would feel pretty confident in saying she's just dumb.

Jimothy

The key is being funny. Not funny funny, but actually funny. They can get all sorts of texts and messages. Why should they care about yours? Use that to motivate you to write them witty and charming shit.
I kinda agree. My most successful dates on OKcupid were from me gently ribbing them about something in their profile, which then made them gently rib me about something in mine. Rapport made. Boom. Date. Although I sent a couple messages that made myself laugh that didn't result in anything. It's kind of a crap shoot honestly. It really all comes down to whether they find you attractive or not. An ugly guy who jokes in an opening message can be seen as trying way too hard whereas an attractive guy will be seen as witty and charming. There is no real silver bullet to getting girls online. What works for you may not work for another person based on the type of girl they're looking for or where they live. Messaging girls in a big city is a lot different than messaging ones in small town, USA for example. Senses of humor vary wildly as well. What one girl finds funny another will just roll her eyes at. Like I said, total crap shoot.

I guess I won at online dating because I got lots of dates and a relationship out of it but I don't really attribute that to anything I did specifically. It was mostly just luck and circumstance like most things in life. I had to put up with a lot of bullshit and rejection along the way so I completely empathize with dudes struggling on the site. A lot the advice in this thread seems sorta condescending and redundant after a while. Like, being funny? I'm sure most people in this thread know that girls love to laugh, probably because 95% of OKC girls list it on their profile. Fact is most girls (and guys) on online sites are frankly vapid and dull. Finding the right person comes down to sifting through heaping amounts of boring people and not becoming a cynical asshole who hates women along the way.

Well, had my most successful date so far yesterday. Went on for almost 5 hours, and the board game ended up being a good idea. It was probably the most fun and flirty part of the date.

I guess its time to try to set up a second date soon. I always feel a bit exhausted after one though haha. I need to work on keeping conversations going a bit better outside of a fun activity though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
google london keyes for reference

image.php

So I was talking to this person for a while and was talking about setting up a time and place to meet. We got it established and just when I go to send a message with my information I get an error. So I refreshed the page and then see at the bottom of the page "Sorry, xxxxxx no longer has an account." I don't even know what to do now...

MogCakes

So I was talking to this person for a while and was talking about setting up a time and place to meet. We got it established and just when I go to send a message with my information I get an error. So I refreshed the page and then see at the bottom of the page "Sorry, xxxxxx no longer has an account." I don't even know what to do now...

It means she probably decided to go with someone else.

Actually for the first time, walked out on a date.

I was talking to this one girl earlier in the week, had loads in common, and then she springs on me that she's sort of "seeing" someone, except he lives in Scotland, they never met in person, but she really felt like a strong connection was there between the two of them. I was sort of put off, but she kept telling me that the "across the pond" relationship was a struggle for her, and she really wanted someone she could see most of the time and what not.

I decide what the hell, I'll pursue anyway. We make plans to get breakfast for dinner, agreed upon 6pm. She calls me at 5:30 that she's running late doing laundry, and would let me know when she was ready.

We didn't end up meeting until nearly 8:30. 2 1/2 hours late, I was ticked, but still went with it, life happens.

She described herself as a loud, outgoing person. Well, this was far from the case. I'm a pretty shy person, and when I'm doing the majority of the conversing there's an issue.

Couple her being late with the fact she was on her phone the entire time I just lost complete interest. I reminded her, that she asked me what sort of meet up would this be, I said a date, not a simple hang out, so I'd expect someone to at least give me their undivided attention, she took offense, I said I'm sorry but this isn't going to work. I threw a 20 on the table and left.

Such a shame, through texts and emails she really seemed like a great potential match, and in person it just fell completely apart.

Majestad

Banned
I said I'm sorry but this isn't going to work. I threw a 20 on the table and left.

Like a boss. Well done dude.

Shit like that happens. Girl seems to be good when conversating through texts, but when you meet or talk in the phone, she is a completely different person.

I was talking to this one girl earlier in the week, had loads in common, and then she springs on me that she's sort of "seeing" someone, except he lives in Scotland, they never met in person, but she really felt like a strong connection was there between the two of them. I was sort of put off, but she kept telling me that the "across the pond" relationship was a struggle for her, and she really wanted someone she could see most of the time and what not.

I decide what the hell, I'll pursue anyway. We make plans to get breakfast for dinner, agreed upon 6pm. She calls me at 5:30 that she's running late doing laundry, and would let me know when she was ready.

We didn't end up meeting until nearly 8:30. 2 1/2 hours late, I was ticked, but still went with it, life happens.

She described herself as a loud, outgoing person. Well, this was far from the case. I'm a pretty shy person, and when I'm doing the majority of the conversing there's an issue.

Couple her being late with the fact she was on her phone the entire time I just lost complete interest. I reminded her, that she asked me what sort of meet up would this be, I said a date, not a simple hang out, so I'd expect someone to at least give me their undivided attention, she took offense, I said I'm sorry but this isn't going to work. I threw a 20 on the table and left.

Such a shame, through texts and emails she really seemed like a great potential match, and in person it just fell completely apart.
She seems really gross. Good work on bailing on that. It's also a good lesson to people in this thread who put these women they see online on pedestals. In person, they are almost never anywhere near what you create them to be in your head. Never let anyone get to you until you've had 2-3 dates with them to know what they're really like.

dralla

This has happened to me multiple times. This is why you meet up in person ASAP

--

I've met a few people over the fee weeks. I've had a couple of really disappointing dates, for the same reason as above. But yesterday I invited a girl over for a 'movie night (third time we've met)', we didn't do a lot of movie watching but it went well :) We actually went to high school together which is a little different.

This has happened to me multiple times. This is why you meet up in person ASAP

--

I've met a few people over the fee weeks. I've had a couple of really disappointing dates, for the same reason as above. But yesterday I invited a girl over for a 'movie night (third time we've met)', we didn't do a lot of movie watching but it went well :) We actually went to high school together which is a little different.

It was ASAP, it was less than 3 days after I messaged her and we started texting.

stn

Hey man, you did the right thing. Good that you respect yourself, that kind of character will help you in the future. Anyway, just keep trying with OKC. You'll land someone eventually. :)

dralla

It was ASAP, it was less than 3 days after I messaged her and we started texting.

I was just saying in general, not for you specifically. Essentially, don''t trust online communications as a barometer for in person communications, it can be seriously disappointing haha :(

Prodigal

Banned
Having no success on here, it'd be great to get some recommendations on my profile.

I've been single for 12 years and I've been on Cupid for over a couple years and only had a few (unsuccessful) dates. Here's my profile, eviscerate me!

I know it can be risky to have a stupid poem or something like that in there and I suppose shirtless pics can come across as desperate. But maybe that's my problem: desperation!

I kinda had luck yesterday.

Girl I've been messaging is a senior in engineering, very, very close to my major, actually. It's at this time of the major that is the busiest, most time consuming. So she puts off a meetup time to yesterday evening. In the morning she mentions she'll be at a computer lab at such-and-such place. I go there not knowing what her plans were.

I meet her and she's my type, in looks and personality. Except the actual meet-up was a little bizarre. Turns out she got incredibly busy at the last minute, and when she let me into the lab (it's not "open access", it's only for the class she's taking with expensive equipment. She'd later tell me they've had problems with people stealing other people's projects in past semesters. Jesus...), she was more or less focused on her work. I know the major well, it's closely related to my field, so I know 1) exactly how fucking busy people are, and 2) stuff about her field.

Her teammate and other people were there, which was a double-edged sword. On one hand I couldn't really ask-her date-y smalltalk, it would've sounded wildly awkward in an engineering lab. On the other, it helped diffuse the awkward-first-meetup situation and was far easier to talk in general, and the teammate actually did me a favor (figuratively). A part of what he's working on was programming which he was completely unfamiliar with, and lo and behold the girl from OKC just brought in someone with basically a degree in programming to the lab for seemingly no reason (she introduced me as "a friend", hehe). Oh noes! He needs help! I actually end up helping him out, which he appreciates very much, and I end up looking kinda good I suppose.

The whole time the girl is chill. Yes, there were bouts of awkwardness after the teammate I spoke of left after a bit of time and I was there. I talked with her plenty and it was all nice and casual friendly chat, but she did have work to do so there were moments of silence. Sometimes I was just looking at the work she was doing which she didn't mind, but I was very careful about not staring creepily, being annoying, or otherwise just getting in the way. I had to be interested enough to show I knew what I was doing and kind of find common ground with her, but definitely needed to step back when I had to. At the end I was hoping for her and I to go grab something to eat, but she said she had to go to her apartment, and I took it as a cue to part ways for the day.

I kind of felt stupid about the whole thing until she texted me very soon after saying she was glad she finally met me, and we set up an actual date (dinner) at the end of the week.

For the record, I suggested the meet-up as super-casual since the very beginning, and yes, that's pretty much what it was. If I had set it up as a date I would've been annoyed and felt like an idiot and super awkward. But I know firsthand how busy she would be (I switched from her major a few years ago), and she seemed to understand that I understood, and she didn't cancel even though she really could've, and she set up a date almost immediately later, so I want to say it was actually fairly successful. And I'm definitely interested in her and I'm glad she definitely seems to be interested in me.

I know I have to keep my expectations tempered, considering I haven't actually gone on a real date with her yet, but I can't help but feel positive about her right now. I guess I'll report back on how it went after I see her.

Necrovex

Having no success on here, it'd be great to get some recommendations on my profile.

I've been single for 12 years and I've been on Cupid for over a couple years and only had a few (unsuccessful) dates. Here's my profile, eviscerate me!

I know it can be risky to have a stupid poem or something like that in there and I suppose shirtless pics can come across as desperate. But maybe that's my problem: desperation!

Surprised you're asking for help when you have a red marker on your profile. That very seldom happens for men!

My advice, I would kill off the Mortal Kombat picture, everything else seems fine since you are playing music, showing you're a buff sentimental dude, and in a bloody band.

Kill the last paragraph in your 'What I'm doing with my Life.' Your profile is essentially your resume, and you don't want to downplay yourself like calling yourself shy and stating you haven't dated anyone in a long while.

Shirtless picture will appeal to certain women and turn off other women. So it's fine to keep it, if you can accept that. I like the poem, it's something unique, which is rarely seen on profiles. You also placed enough information about yourself in other parts of your profile.

Also, howler to another Floridan bro!

Prodigal

Banned
Surprised you're asking for help when you have a red marker on your profile. That very seldom happens for men!

My advice, I would kill off the Mortal Kombat picture, everything else seems fine since you are playing music, showing you're a buff sentimental dude, and in a bloody band.

Kill the last paragraph in your 'What I'm doing with my Life.' Your profile is essentially your resume, and you don't want to downplay yourself like calling yourself shy and stating you haven't dated anyone in a long while.

Shirtless picture will appeal to certain women and turn off other women. So it's fine to keep it, if you can accept that. I like the poem, it's something unique, which is rarely seen on profiles. You also placed enough information about yourself in other parts of your profile.

Also, howler to another Floridan bro!

Thanks for the advice man, I appreciate it. I didn't realize I had a red marker, you're referring to the Message button right? I thought that just meant I don't reply frequently or something...which I thought I did.

Necrovex

Thanks for the advice man, I appreciate it. I didn't realize I had a red marker, you're referring to the Message button right? I thought that just meant I don't reply frequently or something...which I thought I did.

Yeah, it means the amount of messages you don't reply to. Most guys don't usually get many first messages, so even if they don't reply back, it reminds as a green. So I am figuring you are getting a decent amount of messages and not replying back to some of them if you are a red marker. I think if you don't reply back to ten messages in a specific period, you get the red mark.

I dont know why I scheduled a meetup for today in New Orleans. 99% its going to end up with us at a parade, and I dont know how I feel about parading with someone I barely know. Seems like a tough way to get to know someone. Any tips or advice for handling a parade meet up?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I dont know why I scheduled a meetup for today in New Orleans. 99% its going to end up with us at a parade, and I dont know how I feel about parading with someone I barely know. Seems like a tough way to get to know someone. Any tips or advice for handling a parade meet up?
Just have fun. That's what dates should be.

Does anyone else here get messages from REAL people in other countries? While Mexico isn't that far away, Slovenia is quite the distance.

stn

Does anyone else here get messages from REAL people in other countries? While Mexico isn't that far away, Slovenia is quite the distance.
Ukraine, Philippines, Bangladesh - yeah, I get them. The profiles look real, too. I always wonder what the girls on the other side expect from some guy continents away. They can't find a single suitable guy in their own country, lol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom